Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Ugh I just found another key and map on a skeleton on one of the skellige isles, but when I found and opened the chest I only got some leather, normal trousers, and saltpeter... These are randomized, right? Otherwise the devs put in a troll-ish treasure quest (Ruins, Hidden Treasure, You Know...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Axii. Stunlocking is cheap.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Heh I bet being on the highest difficulty brings a whole new level to going to some POI, seeing a red skull and 'level 18/24/30/9' and going 'ffffuuuccckkkk' out of there. I really should kick the difficulty up a notch. I'm at the point where I can kill most everything--even around my own level-- in 5-6 hits or so and never bother with dodging or parrying-- just a white raffleford or whatever it is or a swallow or spamming food every 5-10 sec as needed. Hell most bosses around my level are no challenge with plenty of dodging, and the most satisfaction I had was storming that mage tower on skellige and fighting that golem who was like 7 levels higher than I was. The witcher gear is OP, and I think a decent challenge would be going through the game without using them. There are some awesome models on the relic weapons at least, though the gambeson type armors are fugly as gently caress.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
What tree is that perk in? I can't seem to find it.

Also, are there any decent mods that improve the mutagens and trophies? It's kinda dumb that there's only like 3-4 different versions of each. I'td be nice if the monster mutagens weren't the same as the base level color ones, and there's not reason other than cosmetics to keep any more trophies other than the first few. And there also should've been something that synergized with the yellow perks as well.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Do you have a mod? I don't have it. There are only 10 general perks available, 1 that does regen depending on time of day, one max vitality increase, one each for armor type, one to increase bow damage, two to use adrenaline to cast signs, one to have adrenaline to increase signs as well, and one to increase max toxicity.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

grancheater posted:

The Gourmet perk was added in B&W.

Ahh, Yeah I still haven't gotten that. It really needs to go on sale for like <$10. Incidentally, if anyone happens to somehow have an extra B&W gog code lying around I'd be happy to buy it for $10!

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

cant cook creole bream posted:

Frankly, it's worth way more than $10, or even the standard price. I've spend more time with B&W than on many full blown AAA titles. And that time was a wonderful experience, since the game is incredibly fun, the characters interest me and it might be the prettiest experience in any game I've ever played.

Good point-- amazon had it for sale for $15, and given I had $4 in credits, naturally I picked it up!

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
It's $10 on humblebundle https://www.humblebundle.com/store/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-legendary-edition. All the DLC should be an auto upgrade to the special edition or whatever it is. Oh wait, apparently that was a one time thing... Still, mods make up the difference, though the fact that there is a difference between the original and re-release means mods might focus on one over the other

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 27, 2016

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Gwents boring

e: it needs more strategy than just 3 tiers of combat and heroes that are immune to specials

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Whelp I just found cthulu's lair. Nice to know it transcends universes like that.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

One misc item you'll want to hoard is dimeritium shackles. Don't sell these.

crap. why? Also, you might as well buy the DLCs now while they are still on sale.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Ahh, ok. I guess I shouldn't have sold a couple ingots here and there either, huh....

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
What quest level does the main story end at? I'm currently L 27, about to enter the Isle of Mists and given the rate of main quest level increases and the existence of level 30-35ish side quests (and the fact that the expansions are mid 30's) I have to wonder if I really am only like 2/3rd the way through.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
OK, awesome. That's what I thought. You know, it'd be cool if you could keep U.M.A. as someone to follow you around :3:

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
If there's ever a witcher 3 sequel, I do hope Ciri is an option, provided the ending of 3 allows for it.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
How much does the emperor give you btw? I couldn't let down Ciri, but drat does collecting all sets of witcher armor/swords get expensive...

Also, is there any way to get Crach's, Dikstra's (sp), or the emperors help at Kaer Morhen?

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Nov 29, 2016

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Oh yeah. 2k was half of it. The economy is weird with price disparities between food and beer vs custom made weaponry and armor vs magic items which are all over the place vs haircuts and hookers, with 4000 being something you can retire off of. That's only enough for 200 Hookers!

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Nov 29, 2016

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Oh Lambert :bigtran:

I'm currently stuck on the crone fight, though FF15 isn't helping [me with playing the witcher]. It's loving hard when you don't have healing as a crutch...

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Fuzz posted:

Finally upgraded my video card and can now run this thing maxed out on my 5+ year old rig. Started last night, imported my Roche save (long live the tatt) where Henselt is dead, I'm assuming that will have a lot of bearing on the story.

I'm using a DS4 via DS4Windows and it works perfectly except for a couple issues that are only with this game:

- D-Pad always toggles by two steps in every direction, not one.

- The X (Xbox A button) confirmation on a lot of things (board postings, gwent cards) also double clicks and often selects multiple things (whenever I toggle signs/bombs in the quick menu Geralt always rolls on exit, which can be problematic).

- Holding Circle (B equivalent) while on horseback doesn't seem to want to let me dismount, I have to hit E on the keyboard.

I'm unsure of what settings I'd have to gently caress with in DS4Win to fix all of these, but I'm also thinking maybe it's a framerate issue... I have max FPS set to 60 and everything on ultra but I'm still swinging 90+ fps and getting lots of tearing on my trusty old 60Hz monitor (yes, I know. That's the next step) to the point where I actually had to turn on V-Sync because Adaptive wasn't cutting it, but with V-Sync on it's still having the issues which leads me to believe it's a polling rate issue or something with the controller emulation.

Anyone have experience with this and have a suggestion? And no, going out and buying a bone/360 controller isn't an ideal suggestion since I hate both controllers and already have a 360 pad that I'm specifically not using (because it's terrible).

Well, yeah, since ds4windows works by copying all the ds4 inputs to emulated xbox360 inputs, so the computer and as a result the game sees two inputs for every button press. Search for ds4windows double button press, or turn off ds4windows. There must be something special with how this game sees your* ds4 inputs, or your settings got changed.

e: added a word. For me, it works either way. ds4windows on its 360 controller buttons, without is just ps4

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 8, 2016

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Fuzz posted:

Didn't even know the game had built in DS4 support, had never seen that before. Turned off DS4Win last night after reading about it on the Steam forums and everything works perfectly, good call!

Yeah, there are a ton of games getting it these days. It seems like over half the new games i get have ds4 support, barring games fully for mouse and keyboard. More often than not now i just leave it turned off, with the exception of the computer i control via controller companion.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I don't remeber that one at all and I'm pretty sure that I did all of the notice boards in velen. Hell, the only notice board that is still yellow in my game is the gwent quest in skellige that I have zero interest in.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

2house2fly posted:

Definitely sidestep more, it seems to consist entirely of invincibility frames. Tough fight? Just mash the circle button until there's an opening.

That's a horrible strategy when you don't have the attention span needed for that :(

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
The Witcher 4: Its Ciri now will be set after 3: After faking her own death, she assumes the role as the Empress of Nilfgaard. However, finding that that is boring as gently caress, she moonlights as a witcher while wearing a disguise (superhero eyeband)

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Heh, for the quest where you have to kill a fork tail by baiting it with a sheep, it seems like you can just axii the thing into following you instead of having to chase it. Of course, it seemed to follow you once axii wore off, so it might just be a case of something that you never needed to bother to do in the first place.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Hahaha, I put down w3 for a couple months due to FF15 coming out and playing through a couple other games. Coming back, I'm finishing up the skellige quests before I finish the main quest, and while coming back from the bear fight (incidentally much much much easier than any of the fist fights for some stupid reason) I run into some lady whose talking about some warriors path thing. I start to go through it, and I realize midway through when I'm failing to go anywhere in the platforming (due to whichever idiot decided that disabling jump during 'combat' was a great idea without any way to switch 'stances') I already went through this entire path lol. There really should've been an option to go "Oh, I was wondering what that shawl was for...". Though, to be perfectly honest I'm like 90% certain its sitting in my stash...

e: Ok, that's a different shawl, but still, it'd've been cooler to be able to get that preemptively. BTW, does anyone remember what the 'Skellige Shawl' (silk icon) is for? Can you populate your B&W villa with these obsolete quest items?

Heh, I already did the -entire- thing, cave out to the lighthouse/bay and all

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Feb 6, 2017

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I'm on Reason of State, and I'm at the end of the bridge where radovid is behind a giant barricade with me, ves, and roche on the other. The quest objective is 'kill radovid' but nothing is happening and I can't figure out how to progress things-- roche and ves just greet you with one liners if you try to talk.

e. Great, now a level 50 invisible redanian soldier is attacking me... Ugh, these bugs need fixing.

Ves is gone now.

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Feb 6, 2017

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Grem posted:

Go back on the bridge and make sure all the other enemies are killed.

I did, that's how I ran into the invisible lvl 50 soldier (my geralt is 36), which I managed to kill. Nothing changed.

:psyduck: I found ves standing in front of a door up a flight of stairs halfway down the bridge...

And the only redanian soldier I've found is at the other end and is non-hostile (seems like a normal guard NPC that somehow got in) I think this is where the high level one comes from since I tried to attack it earlier.

Ugh, from reading the numerous other bug reports about this quest it seems its from some idiot designer who demands that people do the quest exactly how they envisioned it, and exactly the pace they envisioned it. Seriously, what's so hard about a location based trigger? Once geralt gets into the right area box, stop all ai (I assume they have interrupts that are external, otherwise flip a stop flag and wait for them to stop), collect the necessary garbage from the scripts, end them, despawn the extraneous npcs, then start-up the cutscene. It shouldn't have any issues unless you are playing fast and loose with pointers.

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Feb 6, 2017

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Yeah, I had to go back to a checkpoint. On a different issue, the innkeeper at the crossroads is missing. The quest marker for his gwent card points to behind the counter but there is no one there, and he isn't in the building. Am I screwed out of his card and the passiflora gwent tourney (if not getting the baron's didn't do that already)

Also, it'd be nice if the banker would lend more than a pithy 100 gold. Sure, that'll get you a couple loaves of bread and water, maybe a hooker too, but its certainly not enough to fund a witcher's work <:mad:>

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Feb 6, 2017

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

a very experienced redkit user has suggestions

edit: not my quest, might be badly implemented or broken, I'm just lollin at how easy you make it all sound

:rolleyes: I'm just letting out frustration

But the idea would be that geralt is just so darn persistent about getting to radovid that he doesn't care about fighting the guards. If people want to fight them, great let them! if not, then once they got to the trigger point the guards wouldn't matter anyways

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Feb 6, 2017

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Palpek posted:

In B&W there's still a bug (as far as I can tell) that makes prostitutes stay in the room after sex, still naked so when you hire another one the previous one is present in the background during cutscenes following Geralt around with her eyes. I managed to have 4 whores in the room this way - 1 in bed and 3 standing right next to it, staring and silently judging Geralt's every move.

I smell a new mod.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Yeah, I have a 1070 and I'm hitting a constant 60 most of the time on the highest possible settings at 1080p (since I'm playing in my living room instead of at my desk). I can stand to squeeze a little more out, though I have zero loving idea what any of the shaders -really- do baring the really obviously named ones, and the individual settings themselves are especially obscure when they aren't made static (and therefore pointless).

Is there like a guide that explains exactly what the gently caress the things do (or at least it'd be good to know why things even get a box when you can't change it)

Of course, that's all academic since my witcher installation doesn't run at all when I installed reshade over it, but it looks wonderful as is :v:

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I'm doing the painted house in HoS, and sure Olgierd is ~an uncultured boor~ and ~not refined~ but goddamn is he hot as gently caress! :shlick: That family should be drat grateful he'd be sharing his genes with Iris to make new super-hot von Everecs. :colbert:

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Nah, I'm sure he's just, like, misunderstood!

And I never understood what the smiley is supposed to reference

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Yeah Olgierd's character seems like he is a case study of the road to hell being paved with good intentions. God, that entire quest in generally is amazing, and I'm still not sure if I did the right thing leaving Iris with the rose.

Also, is there a mod that changes yrden to actually act like a trap? Reading through the bestiary it talks over and over again about trapping the monster with yrden, but it's main form is barely useful against even wraiths! Since it -doesn't- trap the monster, you can only get off one or two swings before you've pushed it outside of the circle. Plus it seems like the 'slowdown' is only like 5% if that.

If it could keep the monster bound to the ring it would be much better. Maybe to balance it, it could last for only 5-10 seconds and/or if the bound enemy can break the sign it recoils back into geralt

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

sebmojo posted:

Manstupration

E: womanstupration, to be precise

i meant the white frowns face, the one in the post I quoted when I said that.

As for Olgierd, do we ever get the exact terms of his contract? Obviously he needed the fame and fortune back to he could rejoin Iris, but I don't know why he needed to kill his emotions ("Having a heart of stone"==no emotions, so mirror literally turned his heart into stone, keeping him alive by magic or whatever)

Maybe he wanted that since he had to have his brother die?

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Feb 11, 2017

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Delacroix posted:

Yrden's slow scales with sign intensity, it's not a useful sign outside of its obligatory functions at low intensity (200% is a good amount). At one point it would reduce enemies to going through the motions of movement while effectively keeping them in place, it was nerfed to the ground naturally.

It's primary purpose is to 'trap' incorporeal enemies like noonwraiths so geralt can hit them. If you ever unlock its secondary mode, it can turn into a glyph that staggers nearby enemies, destroy projectiles and bring down flying monsters.

My take is that he wished for wealth (so he could win back approval from Iris' parents and marry her) and wished for both of them to immortal, using his brother's life.

Olgierd becomes completely detached from normal perspectives on life, becoming more extreme in pleasure seeking and initiating marital hell mode for Iris. She ends up dying of heartbreak but remained anchored to the world through sorrow, Gaunter can claim technical immortality.

Geralt enters a contract to escape and gets hit by a storm and a fight an ordinary man would die from. Then he's dragged into fulfilling the termination clause of Olgierd's contract so Gaunter can reap Olgierd's and Vlodomir's soul.

To answer 2house2fly, Gaunter always corrupts your wishes so pile on all the relevant aesops.

Well, it'd be nice if it actually trapped them, is what I'm saying...

And did he wish for immortality? Technically Iris does die if you take the rose right? Wouldn't that violate the terms of the contract? Also, apparently they stuck Gaunter in the background of several cutscenes to show his influence over Geralt... I'll have to see if I can't see him on a replay.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Poor Olgierd is just a tragedy of errors. All he wanted was the love of his life but he made a bad decision to start with and everything else was from trying to correct that bad decision.

On the other hand gently caress you geralt you lost out on 4500 crowns for me because there was a pretty girl :mad:

Now how the gently caress are you going to get advanced runes

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
All y'all going on about Gwent need to add the stipulation that it gets good once you get enough cards to easily get hundred plus rounds lol. Also monster deck best deck. Northern realms just gets you one extra card, nilfgaard is the essence of situational, and scoiatael is basically useless. Plus one of the eredin cards is a horn card!

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Eh spies are nice and all, but getting that leshen or fiend to stick around is pretty great, and it works well with the vampire card sticking around as well, at 16 strength. I do wish thered be something more explicit about which cards go together for muster. Most are pretty straightforward but I'd still like to know if this dwarf is a part of a group so I know whether I should include it or not. Also, hero cards kinda ruin things a bit since they are usually the ones who can be used in all decks, which robs the different factions of flavor. I mean, my decks are all like 50% identical at this point, and skellige will probably be no different.

Speaking of blood and wine, is the bug where dyes don't work consistent? I just tried some and it did jack poo poo once applied-- do only some pieces work, is it random etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
hey cdpr guy, did you do the panther POI in B&W?