Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Oh dammit I need a new graphics card. I misread the minimum settings earlier so that german benchmarking site was really depressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Poetic Justice posted:

:siren: GoG version is OUT :siren:
Downloading an update for me, too.

Now to see how hosed my card is.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Lord Lambeth posted:

My imported save worked! The tattoo shows up in the prologue even though it's supposed to take place years ago. :v:
I clearly imported the wrong save then.

Game runs okay on my 560 with low settings and still looks pretty good. I'm struggling with the combat though since I keep trying to use the side-step dodge and it doesn't get me out of the range of the ghoul's claws.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Xenoith posted:

Found a really insane starting steel sword:

North of the Mills area there is a crypt, lv7 Wraith guards a sword that does like 45 top end dmg and has some nice stats on it.

Also got a crash when tabbing out of full screen, maybe don't do that..
Is that one of the crafting ones? I'm always wary crafting blades because I'm afraid I won't have enough components later, but the two Viper blades you can get from that crypt are really, really nice. Come with bonus experience to monsters/people, too. I only made the silver one and am looking for a source of emerald dust for the steel now; anyone know of any?

Anyone got any good skill combinations? The general tree skill that gives you better Vit regen during the day seems worthwhile, but only because that's your only way of regaining health without expending some kind of resources (or a fuckton of time) on the higher difficulties.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

Jesus emerald dust is expensive. Where can I find this stuff out in the world, where it won't be nearly 600 gold?
I found one in, I think, a monster nest after I blew it up. I really want to find another one so I can be rocking both Viper swords though.

Can I go back to White Orchard after I advance the plot?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

sauer kraut posted:

After the Ignicalypse of the first game they seem hellbent on ensuring Geralt not becoming a sorcerer.
I don't know, Igni was the first skill I leveled up and its at max now (Just left White Orchard). Its a poor man's Aard that comes with damage, potential DoTs for kiting, and weakens armor (with skill), which means that my fast attacks (which I use a lot more than strong) hit much, much harder. Its still good, but its a support skill, like all the signs. I like it.

I did consider that maybe I should be using Aard + strong attacks more, but gently caress it, gotta go fast.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Phoix posted:

In case anyone else runs into this, it looks the game did actually break. I found the sword recipe later and it shows up fine. Guess I can never make that armor. :toot:
Are you sure you're talking to the right kind of blacksmith? Only some craft weapons and others craft armors.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

turtlecrunch posted:

Someone was looking for inexpensive Emerald Dust right? Wraiths drop it, there's a few of them on the Hunt a Witch quest (main story).
Oh thank christ, I'm still using Velen Longswords and poo poo against level 7 human enemies and it takes forever to kill anything. Time to get me a new Viper sword. Also, I hear the harder difficulties penalize your experience gain. Is that why practically everything is 3-5 levels higher than me? I just got to Velen and the only thing I can kill easily is Drowners. I'm level 4 right now and the only contracts/quests I have available are level 6-13. I mean, I can do some of them, but its somewhat rough going. I also started on the hardest difficulty and downgraded to hard after I got utterly wiped on the starting ghoul fight, if that makes a difference.

Also, I don't think I'm getting experience for killing enemy mobs which makes the +exp on the Viper silver sword somewhat...wasted.

e: And yeah, at least keep the Kaer Morhen armor. One of the armor diagrams you get is an upgrade for it. I haven't seen any upgrades for your starting swords though.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Comrade Flynn posted:

Man where do you find a merchant/smith in the second area?
Follow the main quest to find the Witch, you'll find both pretty quick.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Are there any armor sets to match the (White Orchard) Serpentine Witcher blades?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Magical Zero posted:

That's good news, I'm still in White Orchard so 50-100 coins is a pretty substantial sum.
In that case, unless you have a bonkers good sword, just keep picking up new ones off dudes you kill and use that until it starts breaking, then repeat.

How the hell do I get regular feathers? I just massacred all the geese in the starting town and all I got was meat and eggs. I just want to upgrade my crossbow bolts, sorry about your livestock.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Burgo posted:

So just after the talking to ambassador var attre and I guess it loaded my broche save as Henselt is dead, and radovid has taken over kaedwen. What happens if hes alive? 2 lovely armies for nilfgaard to crush?
Iorveth save: Radovid surprises everyone and marches on Kaedwen in the winter. Henselt goes to meet him and is killed in the fighting, leading to Kaedwen's complete capitulation. No mention of Saskia's forces at all, or the Lodge's actual power (I saved Triss but also have the curse-breaking dagger).

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Archonex posted:

Gold amulet? Sure. It'll sell for a pretty penny.
Make really, really sure they don't break down into gems you want to use, though.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Archonex posted:

What are gems for? I've not done any deconstruction yet.
Gems break down into dust, iirc, which (so far) can be used to make some nice gear. The gems are also needed for some gear.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
No crashes for the first 10 hours of the game, now I've had 3 inventory-screen lock-ups in about an hour. Dammit.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Someone mentioned that three specific signs let you use the alternate version once you had put a point into the alt version even if you didn't "equip" the alt skill. Which signs were they? I can't find it. I put a lot of points into Igni at the beginning and its pushing me further and further down the Sign path because there are so many upgrades I want. :(

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Infinity Gaia posted:

Igni, Aard and Yrden, in my experience. No idea why only those three. Might be a bug or something, hard to tell.
Hmm. Must be, because igni isn't doing that for me at all.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Salsa McManus posted:

It doesn't really seem like it. Nekkers gently caress you over so much if you manage to get into the middle of them. I've just been using blinding bombs and the gas bombs like crazy and that works well for the grouped up enemies. Just got myself some grapeshot, but I haven't had the chance to decimate anyone with it yet.
Tell me where to find Nekkers, I want to craft some mutagens from their corpses.

And I missed buying a few Gwent cards from the scholar guy in the first tavern and now he's gone: anywhere to find them again?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Delacroix posted:

Any merchant as a herbalist will pay a premium for honeycomb. In Valen there are maybe 5-6 wandering herbalists in addition to the merchants and herbalists locked behind abandoned settlements. You'll be rich before you end up in novigrad or skellige. Bet the maximum amount on horse racing and brawling for a tidy sum too.
I should really advance the main quest, huh. I haven't seen either of these.

Anyone found nekkers anywhere? I haven't caught a glimpse of them yet and I want their hearts.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
The answer to both Drowners and bee hives is Igni.

Actually, I'm a little grumpy about Igni and drowners. It was so critical to me surviving that I put 5 points into the armor-stripping skill and I'm not seeing much of a benefit that I wouldn't see from the +quick attack damage or something.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Deceitful Penguin posted:

If you look at the original trailer you can see how the combat that was way slower and heavier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4ony2r0QFs
That combat looks like someone with very high levels against some pretty weak guys, that's all. The dodges look the same and I suppose some of the attacks come out a little faster (which, I won't lie, I'd like.)

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
It wants you to dodge more.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Psiharis posted:

Any tips for fistfighting?

I feel like I'm missing something. Dodging goes about half the distance it does in normal combat and rolling is flat out gone. Now I'm in an event in Skellige where yes, my opponent is higher level, but the biggest problem is being hopelessly penned in by onlookers. Village fistfights haven't gone much better - I got fed up with them after a round where some villager kept meandering back and forth across the ring and bitching when Geralt bumped into her.
In addition to Orv's good advice, don't use the short dodge away from people. Dodge toward them and slightly to the side, which opens them up for immediate hits to their back. It'll also keep you from burning up too much of your ring space.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Orv posted:

At the base level it gives you a small boost to melee damage the more pips you have. There is a general skill that allows you to exchange a pip of adrenaline for a stamina-free Sign cast. There might be some tie in to execution moves that I'm not aware of.
There are also skills in the sword tree that let you revive if you send adrenaline and let you burn adrenaline to supercharge your Signs too.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
So, if all the starting armor is light and the cat set remains good, it seems like investing one point into the "wear light armor, get bonus" skill right at the start is one of the most economical, yeah? That'd help for people struggling early-game, at least. That's +100% crit damage and +20% fast attack damage right off the bat, for one skill slot, and you can keep wearing light armor all game if you want to. Which reminds me, do the cat/griffin ones look at awesome as that bear one does? Because gently caress stats, fashion's important.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Eonwe posted:

I just got to Velen and I'm like level 5 and everything seems way higher level than me

i must have done something way wrong
Nope. I got to Velen at 4. Progress the main quest some, you'll get levels quick.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Huh, that's interesting. I have like ten billion alcoholsts and it mentions it by name so I assumed it was only that, but if it works for anything then great. I assume it's just alchemic-alcohol and you can't refill your death potions with the fifty beers Geralt keeps in his pants.
Yeah, its "strong alcohol" prefering alcoholest and then moving down some unknown list. Dwarven Spirit was my next-picked. You also refill your decoctions (I hear, I haven't crafted any yet), bombs, and oils. The last two are totally free to replenish, by the way.

Is there any armor (preferably light) that has the long leg armor (chausses?) the Bear set does?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Autonomous Monster posted:

I'm wearing a full suit of Griffin gear (+78% sign intensity) and I knock someone down almost every single time I use it, usually more than one. And for long enough to coup de gras three dudes a time, if I'm quick about it.

What I have noticed is that you're more likely to knock someone down the closer they are to you. If you're right up in someone's face they'll go down 100% of the time, unless they've got a big weapon (hammer/pike) or a shield. People right at the fringe are almost never knocked over.

You can also use it to knock fliers out of the air, though there's not much call for that when you've got the crossbow.
Aard comes out a lot faster, it seems. I still haven't knocked a flier out of the air with the crossbow, but I brought down the griffin and shrieker with Aard no problems.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

cheesetriangles posted:

Is there any reason why you can't lock onto bosses? I know there sure as poo poo isn't a good reason so I would like to hear any reason.
You...can? At least, I locked onto the golem while following Keira. Which boss can't you lock onto?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Also: Is alchemy even worth it in this game?
Alchemy is very worth it even if you don't invest in the skill trees for it. That is also worth it, by the way, but so far all the skill trees seem to be pretty good.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

So can I count on a tangible reward later down the line if I refuse payment for a quest? I know if you do that with the merchant who is attacked by the griffon, then you get free food at the inn. I just finished the devil by the well and was wondering if the same kind of thing might happen if I let them keep the dowry.
You get a gem, iirc. And you can't count on it, no. Not every quest will do that, some will. I think you get increased xp for turning it down sometimes though.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Solartide posted:

I got like 20 pounds/kilos of crossbow bolts, on the one hand I don't want to drop them because they seem to be very versatile, on the other hand, I never use them because Igni.
Broadheads (or whichever cause bleeding) are pretty useful to stack on top of Igni though. One of my few upgrades bombs is dancing star which I feel bad about because Igni. Oh well. Is there a gas-cloud one like in W2? Being able to burn those loving drowners and then toss gas on them from a distance seems really useful.

e: Is it moon dust or dimitrium bombs that stop werewolf regen?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Solartide posted:

Here's my gripe with that fire dust cloud bomb. The premise is simple enough, lob the grenade which creates an inflammable cloud, then set the cloud on fire for a wombo combo. But when I toss the grenade into a bunch of enemies, they start running towards me, and by the time I can igni the could they aren't in the cloud anymore. And the cloud dissipates way too soon, but the time I corralled half of them back into the cloud, the cloud was gone.
Yeah, that's why I was thinking to light them on fire with Igni, wait until they're burning, then toss the cloud on them to make it explode. If the "burning" effect triggers it, at least. Then you know they're stuck in the cloud, since they're already on fire, "burning" makes them stop, and the cloud is appearing on top of them.

e: vvvv Because you can stunlock them, sure, or explode them all at once. If there's a horde of drowners and three of them are on fire, I might just want to kill them now instead of kiting them around spamming Igni.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 26, 2015

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Wild at Heart: What did people choose? I ended up killing the werewolf because while Margrit is crazy as poo poo, she doesn't actually turn into a giant ravenous wolfthing every so often. His system might work for a while, but that's still a huge risk for the village. Anyone want to tell me why I'm a terrible person?

e: Or was it not a choice and the the werewolf dies either way?

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 26, 2015

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

grimcreaper posted:

Im wearing the full masterwork ursine armor. It's got a lot of rust on the chain mail portions
Where's the basic ursine diagram? I've got like 3 cat diagrams already but that greatcoat just looks so pretty.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

grimcreaper posted:

Pretty much. seems like side quests are designed for 2 things: side story, and to catch you up to main quests.

You can out level the main story stuff if you really push the side quests, but, if your level is just 1 over the primary story quest level, even doing quests that are like 15 levels over you net you next to no exp at all. If you do that same level difference side quest when under the primary story quest, you gain a TON of exp for completing the high level side quest.
That's really interesting and means I'll probably at least keep a little bit up on the main quest instead of neurotically doing sidequests. At the least, I'll avoid trying to do the higher-level ones. Alternatively, just not do some and save them for a later playthrough. Either way, iit should be fun.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Tempus Thales posted:

I keep getting Dialogs that offer me to use Delusion but at Lvl 2... how do you level up the Signs?
Put points into the Delusion skill under the Signs tab of the Character section of your main menu. Its the first skill under the Axii sign, and has 3 levels to improve. Most skills have either 5 or 3 levels, with the "general" skills having one. Just put another point into the same skill like you did when you first bought a skill.

e: And yeah, if you're going to take 2 of my 4 d-pad slots for sword controls, they should put you into combat mode as soon as they're drawn. If you're not going to give me that control, let me use the d-pad to quick-select more potions or something. And for the love of god, what's with the "pockets" tab? Just give me 4 "inventory" slots and if I want to use one for the magic lamp or something, let me do that.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 03:51 on May 28, 2015

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

bobthethurd posted:

Quoting this because it happened ten pages ago at the bottom and I got no answers.

And seriously, is it ok to sell some of this crafting and alchemy poo poo, I'm at like 47 weight out of 60 with all the junk on me. People say money in this game is easy, but I've not found the trick yet I guess.
Go horseracing at Crow's Nest and you'll get a free saddle for +30 carry weight. And I haven't needed to sell crafting poo poo: pretty much every crafting piece weighs 0.01/per so unless you've been scouring the countryside for plants and robbing every peasant for all they're worth, you're not going to make an appreciable difference in your weight by selling crafting poo poo. Sell hides and gear you're not using though.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I'd rather not have my exploration limited by lovely monsters scaled to my level with infinite health.
I like exploring and finding things that are too hard for me so I run and come back. gently caress being able to go wherever I want without any repercussions, stumbling somewhere I shouldn't be yet and having to run/sneak/flee/whatever is one of the best parts of open world games. Its not an invisible wall because you can get through it if you want, it'll just take a little work that is more involved than killing everything in your path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I was using the enhanced version of Swallow :confused:
Potions come in three varieties: basic, enhanced, and superior. Enhanced are just that, they usually do the base job slightly better and give you an extra use to boot. Superior ones come with extra perks on top of that. Swallow's is ignoring the healing pause.

e: I need a drat golem's heart to get Blizzard. I've killed two so far and gotten nothing, is there a place I can safely snag some?