Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

As someone who has never played the Witcher series before, it's quite overwhelming. I know the basic premise but the world and characters are pretty much new to me. I'm mostly just running around the starting area doing random quests at the moment, taking it all in.

Combat seems like quite hectic, I can't seem to get dodges and rolls working properly, and all the merchants/smiths/etc. items are a blur - it's always the same, I have no idea what to keep and what to sell. Is it possible to gimp my character by making poor choices? Is it mandatory to upgrade my gear frequently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Okay, on a related note: what's the biggest bottleneck in terms of my performance, CPU or GPU or something else? My 3 years old PC has an Intel i5 -2500 3.3ghz CPU and GeForce GTX 750. I'm playing this on high with some tweaks (similar to GTA V) but what should I update if I want the biggest boost on modern PC games?

Funny enough, the both games look good to me even on med-high settings, so I can't even imagine what it'd be like on Ultra.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Even though I didn't play Witcher 2, I would've liked to make the storyline choices based on research. Apparently I chose the wrong option, and the game decided for me (I'm just past the shaving and I sure as hell ain't gonna start from the beginning). Anyone know what the world defaults to when this option is chosen?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm level 8 now and I still feel like I've barely scratched the surface. I'm in Velen, doing Baron's quest and that conversation with the Pellar is one of the most atmospheric I've seen. Some creepy stuff in this whole quest with the botchling and all. The soundtrack during it is really awesome, too.

I'd like to find a new silver sword, though. I'm still using the viper one I crafted earlier. Got some diagrams but they're for level 12 and 13.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Pyromancer posted:

I think Griffin set is for that level, so if you have the quest for it get on it

Don't have anything like that on my quest log. I'll keep an eye out. Do you get it randomly or from some particular place?

It's also funny to see your own first name in the bestiary with the suffix "the Gimp" commenting on endregas.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Antti posted:

Merchants, especially Armorers, have letters that give you treasure hunts. I kept buying those on sight and inevitably got the Griffin hunt. I'm level 11 and the Griffin set is level 8 but it was still an upgrade for me, I use Signs a lot (Medium armor bonus talent is for Signs) and you'll be able to upgrade it later on.

Okay, in case it wasn't clear to someone else besides me - apparently you can just stumble upon the right place and start the quest that way. I went to Hindhold, found the diagram for the Griffon steel sword and started the quest. Now I got the silver sword too, I fought the wyvern at the lighthouse and that was awesome, kept using Igni on it and then it fell on the tower and I just went to town on its rear end.. Currently on the quest to get the armor set too.

The velen main quest with the Baron and all is SUPER long, though. I'm nearing level 10 already! Although I do check out the sidequests when I can.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Regarding Gwent, something that puzzled me for a while: I didn't know where the hell the cards I won go since I couldn't use any. Then I saw them in the different factions and realized I can't mix and match faction cards together. d'oh!

I can only play with my standard northern reams deck so far. It's not great but I can beat a few merchants. Still yet to get any really good cards, though.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I just spent 2 hours running around challenging merchants and traders to Gwent just to get some cards for my deck. Finally made it somewhere in the quest and beat that kid.

Would Gwent work as a real life board/card game?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

May I just say that I just met Johnny and he's the best character so far in the game.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I've been running a strange hybrid Geralt so far (level 11, only now managed to finish Velen main quest and still a shitload to explore!) but all this talk about signs made me want to try a more sign-oriented build since I use the griffon armor set too. Sign intensity around 100% and lower tier skills maxed it definitely feels a lot of fun, although more challenging to use different signs in a hurry. Only thing I picked from offense tree was the very first fast attack trait so far.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I have to say I really, really dig these Witcher contract missions. They feel like a medieval CSI: Geralt. You can really buy he has years of experience working with this stuff and his deductions are usually believable.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Offkorn posted:

Double-tapping a direction also short-dodges. No need to use the hotkey.

This is what I use, haven't mapped dodge to another key. I'm not a very good fighter but hey it works for me. It helps that I also use double-tap to dodge in Guild Wars 2 (inb4 someone says V is the only way to dodge).

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Jack2142 posted:

Guys once you get to Novigrad the game changes tone dramatically from feudal misery simulator to heist/holocaust movie. I can't wait to see what Skellige is going to be because Velen & Novigrad are like two seperate games it seems.

No kidding. After scouring the countryside in Velen for ages (level 12) and STILL having like half ?'s unexplored, I rolled into Novigrad and the first cutscene showed me that poo poo just got real in here. It's a totally different atmosphere.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Right now I'm working on a quest to bring paint for a troll named Trolololo. And yes, he sings.

I'm having a wonderful time. Level 13 and barely even done the first steps of Novigrad main quest.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

theDOWmustflow posted:

It seems to be bugged for some PC users at the moment (like me), if you have both Delusion and Puppet slotted.

There was a fix that worked at least for me earlier in this thread but it's about 20 pages back or so by now. Hopefully someone can find it.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Meta-Mollusk posted:

That skill is also super useful while fighting groups with archers in them. And flying things. And wraiths. And pretty much everything else too. :allears:

I'm basically running a full signs build (only other skill is 5/5 on the first fast attack skill) and I can attest to this. I had a bit of trouble getting the Yrden turret down the right time - when I placed it too early, enemies ran away and when I placed it too late, they mobbed me while I cast it. Then I just learned that using Quen beforehand lets you place Yrden without interruptions, if you're having trouble.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Any tips where I can regularly unload my surplus of swords and other gear? As in, merchants who have enough gold to buy what I can sell?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

"Did I scare you?"

Yes, you did. drat it!

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Failboattootoot posted:

I'm only in Act 1 (although I am 88 hours into Act 1) but until something terrible happens I will be siding with Nilfgaard because general Voorhis' goony mannerisms have won me over.

He's a kind of guy I can't figure out. Will he end up as an enemy or an ally? No idea. I do know he's one suave and slimy motherf*cker and I enjoy interactions with him.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

ButteCysts posted:

I have had HUGE success using a full griffin/sign build. Currently using enhanced griffin gear (im only level 17) with increased sign intensity runes and glyphs whenever possible.

I'm level 14 and can't wait to get the enhanced set at 15. Also using a sign-heavy build, but one thing: are you slotting the Griffin school techniques skill? Someone argued earlier that it gets worse the higher your level is since the % of it won't scale and it's always 20% increase. Can you get by without slotting it and using that precious slot for another sign?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Who sells the griffin upgrade maps? I have been to every shop and only found one of them. I have a feeling it might be a trapped person but I haven't any idea which.

Honestly, I cheated and looked online where I had to go to start the questline. The game tells me the places from there on out.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah it might be granting +20% stamina regen per each armor item instead of +5% (20% total).

Anyone care to test this? If it's true I might have to do what someone else said and un-slot it now so I won't be disappointed after it gets fixed (if this is indeed the case).

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Posting in the thread at all is probably a pretty good indicator that you like the game a lot, otherwise why would you bother? I certainly don't waste my time posting in threads about games I don't like, it's really easy to not play them.

But, but, but, how will others know you hate them then???+

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

drat, I've been doing sidequests a lot today and didn't even notice they're not giving me any exp. Mostly just stuff a few levels below mine. Can this sort of thing be fixed retroactively or should I just stop doing sidequests until they fix it?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The worst thing about the Bloody baron questline is how apparently the lovely sergeant takes over afterwards no matter what you do and sends his men to rape. murder and pillage the countryside. There's no winners here.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Ra-amun posted:

Man I wish I hadn't of hosed up getting his treasure. :( I sat through that whole torture scene and either completely forgot to raid his desk afterwards or didn't read the letter so he ended up getting pissed at me later on. He was the only one to not join the Kaer Morhen battle for me.

What, you mean to tell me there's something more to that quest than handing the key to him without knowing what it unlocks? I ALWAYS loot every office I'm in but you're saying I missed something that would've told me where Menge had stashed Djkstra's treasure? Man, this sucks.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Vanderdeath posted:

Is the quest bug thing a big enough deal to not play the game until it's fixed?

I'm definitely not feeling as enthusiastic playing right now since I could be crippling myself. A lot of my quests are "green" so if I can't get any exp from those I surely won't try to tackle them now. I may try to do some exploring question marks and/or scavenger hunts. So far I'm not sure if the bug affects "red" quests and main quests too.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

dud root posted:

I read an official from Gog or a dev confirmed the XP bug if the quest is 6 levels lower? Is that still the case? Is it safe to continue on with quests close to my own level?

Quests that are 6 levels or more below your level (marked grey) aren't supposed to give you any exp. The bug is that even quests marked green or red aren't giving any.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Suppose the bug is simply a matter of doing a "grey" quest for the very first time and then locking every quest from there on to zero exp. You wouldn't get that in the very beginning since it takes 6 levels difference for a quest to grey out.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, as said before, "grey" quests aren't even meant to give you any exp. But I don't get any from a couple green ones I accidentally finished (I thought one quest would continue but it ended and started a new one!) and now I'm afraid to try to advance the main plot. I think someone said main quests are immune to the bug? Or I could just reload and do the whole quest again when it's fixed, but man what a hassle. Probably the wisest thing is just to go exploring the countryside, play Gwent and continue with quests when it's cleared.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

All right, good to know. I won't be doing those for the time being either to be safe.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Update on my part: I just accidently stumbled upon a witcher contract (level 23 - I'm 16) while roaming the countryside. I took down a royal wyvern, burninated the f*k out of him but it's great that you can do the quest this way too. I DID get exp from this quest, it was "red" for me. I did not have it before.

Funny thing about this quest was that the quest giver wanted proof and Geralt said to wait for those two guys in the cave to return. Meanwhile Roach is hanging back there with THE HUGE WYVERN HEAD HANGING FROM THE SADDLE. Why don't you show that to the village elder or whatever?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Harrow posted:

There are at least a few references in The Witcher 3's dialog alone to real-world fairy tales like Cinderella (referenced as a fairy tale, not a real thing). I'm inclined to believe this theory, myself.

Wasn't the whole Cinderella quote about how Geralt told how the story is nothing like the reality, where a monster ate the princess and only thing left was one shoe

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Psiharis posted:

I found the drunken barber in Novigrad (by the Oxenfurt gate, near the Nowhere Inn) and he and Geralt got into an argy-bargy about not getting the look Geralt wanted... except it was (trimmed beard). :confused: I tried all the other beard options and they all came out normal too.

Funny thing about this barber is how the NPC's start commenting your haircut after you leave. They say stuff like "Have you looked at your hair lately?" I had to go to a proper barber after that.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

What's the consensus on stealing? I saw a message warning about there being consequences for stealing but I don't know what constitutes stealing or not and how to avoid being caught - or what happens if I am.

Stealing from houses while players are in there?
Stealing from soldier camps in or out of the barracks?

Does the sign switch from 'loot' to 'steal' under certain circumstances?

From an RPG standpoint, I only steal from rich people, never from peasants who chip in their last gold to pay Geralt to get rid of their local monster.

Of course we have to define terms here, I consider it "stealing" if I roam around in their house uninvited and take everything from chests and cupboards, someone else might call it "looting"...

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I want to know something about the quest Phantom of Eldberg. Do we ever get to find out what events lead to the appearance of the Penitent? Or did I miss something? I went the quest a bit rear end backwards, first stumbling across the lighthouse keeper and only later going to collect my reward.

And apparently cashing my reward was just the beginning of a new questline... Jorund, nooooo! Of all the souls I encountered, his was the most... northern.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I do hope the exp bug fix is in there too.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

You can find a letter inside the lighthouse that mentions how the keeper was taking bribes from pirates for letting ships run aground.

Oh man, and I can't go back anymore. I don't know why I didn't even go inside. I just left the moment the game told me to go back and talk to the guy..

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Is there really no way to take in-game screenshots? Even PrintScreen and copy/paste at Photoshop won't work for some reason. I was exploring out on Skellige with the sun setting down on me (had to let it) and the sea was dark but calm and it was just gorgeous even on my med-high settings. And now it's lost forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Schlesische posted:

If you've got it on gog, you can just add it to steam as a non-steam game and take screenshots that way.

Ah, thanks for the tip!