Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

My working conditions and pay are good enough that I won't endanger it by talking out of school.

My other cut quest was about a constipated troll and it was very funny but our director didn't think it was funny. Only thing I ever had cut for creative reasons.

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

OK, I'm back in Poland and jetlagged to hell. As promised, I'll tell you about one of my cut quests.

OK, so Geralt gets flagged down by this servant character, who directs him to speak with his mistress, a noble-lady who has an "occult" club with other courtly ladies. When Geralt meets her, she explains that her club (including her sister) were conducting a seance at an old elven amphitheatre when something strange happened. The wind began to howl and the noble-lady's sister began sobbing uncontrollably. When one of the other members of the club tried to comfort her, she grabbed a knife and attacked her. The other woman was merely injured, but the noble-lady's sister then ran off into the night.

The noble lady wants Geralt to help find her sister, she is seeking out Geralt because 1. she thinks something magical might be going on 2. he's famous and her club will be impressed.

Geralt goes and tracks down the sister. Unfortunately, she's dead (it's a witcher game, natch) it looks like she ran off into the woods before cutting off all her hair with a knife, then driving the knife into her own heart. After some investigating, Geralt finds a nearby cenotaph with an old elven poem on it. The poem memorializes the sad story of an elven maiden who fell in love with a human noble, despite the taboo and class differences. There's an anti-elf pogrom, and the maiden is saved and sheltered by her human lover, but he refuses to do anything to save the rest of her family or stop the pogrom. Her family is completely wiped out. She runs off into the woods and stabs herself to death.

Geralt realizes he's dealing with a Banshee, (which can force the living to re-enact the banshee's trauma) and goes to talk to the noble-lady. The lady is distraught but Geralt can convince her to help him avenge her sister and lay the banshee to rest. The occult club goes back to the amphitheatre and summons the banshee again, Geralt is able to use the noble-lady's body to trap the spirit and force it to become corporeal with an exorcism. In the process of the exorcism we learn that the noble-lady and her sister are actually the descendants of the elf-maiden and the human nobleman. The maiden was saved from slaughter because she was preggo with the nobleman's child. Swordplay. The banshee dies.

The noble lady is really upset because now she knows she's part-elf, and all her nasty friends in the occult club won't associate with her anymore. Her status at court is now in jeopardy. She says some racist poo poo. Sad trombone. Fin.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Palpek posted:

That's a great story and all but I was really awaiting the twist where the constipated troll comes into play

But on a more serious note - did you get writing guidelines before writing your quests? You mention 'it's a witcher game' but considering how consistently this proves to be true it really does feel like there had to be a guideline saying 'yo, don't forget to end every second quest in some depressing way'.

I'll tell about the constipated troll last. The story is coming.

For W3 there really weren't any writing guidelines, since most people knew the universe and the previous games, we just aimed to "do that" again. The process was simply that the quest designers and writers generate pitches that are a few lines long, the director reviews them and picks the ones he wants. Then quest design gets down and plans all the nitty-gritty, goes over it with a writer. Then we make it, review it, revise, etc, usually a quest will go through 2-5 major revisions before it gets locked and polished. For example, the quest I just described actually was initially designed by another writer, but all the stuff about the elven maid and the pogrom wasn't there. It was just a generic ghost and the story about the occult club was just making fun of frivolous rich people. I really didn't like it, so I rewrote huge chunks of it. That went through a few more revisions before it was done like the version I wrote above. Sadly, it was actually pretty solid from my side, we had to cut it to save time with some other teams.

On the other hand, Equine Phantoms had no major revisions. The version I pitched to the director was basically exactly what you got.

By the way, did anyone playing Equine Phantoms try talking to the other animals at the hermit's house? That was a very late addition to the quest, I wonder if anyone actually notices it.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Only the EN version plays around with accents in that way, as far as I know.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

monster on a stick posted:

Speaking of which, what accent is Jacob the Woodcutter (the questgiver for A Knight's Tale) supposed to have?

To my knowledge, all the toussaint characters received the same guidance and instructions regarding accent and dialect, but obviously different actors will interpret that instruction differently.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

John Charity Spring posted:

drat it, I just played this quest again in my big replay and missed this opportunity again.

They've just got little one-liners, nothing particularly specific. Like I said, a very late addition. Still, it took a few days, so it'd be a shame if no one ever saw it.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

Comte de Saint-Germain, don't suppose you know who was responsible for having certain NPCs quote a line from a Magnetic Fields song in B&W? Perhaps yourself? It was certainly unexpected.

My guess would be Travis Currit, one of our english localizers.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

admataY posted:

She did in mine . I think the key is blowing off both romance options in the main game .

and not being a bad dad

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

If you need something to keep you busy:

Spoilers for BaW, The Warble of a Smitten Knight*

If you don't encourage Viv to let Guillaume help, she can later be found in Novigrad, I know some people already know this. A tiny number of people know that she'll show up in Skellige too. But there's a third state I don't think anyone has found yet.

*The original title of the quest was The Knight Stalker

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

redbackground posted:

Comte, why was it coded in that each time you finish a conversation with a character, they have to walk in a wide circle bumping you out of the way before standing stationary again?

Typically this happens because their positions for the scene and their positions outside of the scenes don't line up. Since our characters can't actually walk backwards, if there is a mismatch on where the NPC is standing and where they WANT to be standing, they may need to take a few steps forward before they can turn around.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Is there an easy to explain reason for why they cannot go backwards for those of us who do not make games?

I'm a quest designer, AI pathfinding is black magic to me.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I wanted to end up with that Nilfgaardian chick that you have the option of tutoring.

The nazi?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Fuzz posted:

Being blonde, snobby, and having an accent doesn't make you a Nazi.

What makes her a nazi is that she literally doesn't think nordlings are humans. She's not snobby, she's a racist nationalist who thinks it's acceptable to order your hired help to murder peasants.

That's why you can't sleep with her, Geralt wouldn't touch her with Lambert's dick.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Yeah, ok, she's not literally a nazi, but she's still a goddamned monster geralt has no interest in.

gently caress, it's like you can't even use nazi as shorthand for racist nationalist anymore without someone popping in to say, "Actually..."

Though I agree that authorship doesn't mean a monopoly on interpretation. But it does mean that we can say, "No, Geralt wouldn't gently caress this woman."

EDIT: I will also point out that Witcher 3 is not a historical document. It was written and created by humans living in the early 21st century about a world that never existed until it was invented by a cranky polish man in the late 20th century.

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 4, 2017

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

lol @ romans with full plate, heavy cavalry and arbalests

I assumed he meant HRE, though they were never near as successful or competent as we portray Nilfgaard.

The Holy Roman Empire, history's most disappointing sequel.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Considering the roles the likes of Letho got in W3, even if they had to kill their original plans, it really shouldn't have been hard to fit in time to make a quest where you run into him and kill some Witch Hunters hounding his Scoia'tael before going back to him if you did that to ask him to help with the Wild Hunt. Even if they can't add a big plot for him, they could probably have invented a small thing easy.

f

u

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Within the context of creating a game, naturally. I ain't saying all you guys had to do was push 2 keys and out pops a fully realised quest chain with no bugs or whatever.

Yeah, but it's super abstract. By the time we realized that Iorveth's quest wasn't working (he was actually a secondary character in a much bigger story about the war) it was way too late to add something new. About the only thing we'd have had time to do would have been to put his dead body somewhere with a note, which was suggested. I think that would have been a pretty poor conclusion to his story, so it was better to just leave him unresolved.

For an idea of what we need to do to even add a small quest. First I need to draft the quest in paper, get approval from quest lead and the director. This can actually take a couple of weeks, longer if the quest is important. Level design, environment art, character art, audio, cinematics, animation all need to get asset requests. For a small quest I'd try to avoid making more than one new character request, more than 2-3 locations. Some of the assets will go to outsource, most will be done in house.

While that's taking place (months and months of work) the quest and story teams draft the quest. This can take a while, since a lot of stuff that works on paper doesn't work in game, for many many possible reasons.

Once story is done, the text goes to localization (our writers all write in PL). From there lines are translated into a dozen languages, then sent to the studio to get actors to perform them. Those lines flow back to audio and cinematics, who put them into the game and make sure they sound right.

Meanwhile QA and quest bug-fix and iterate on the quest, basically until we ship. This includes bugs of course, but also general feedback. During this phase entire locations might be moved or redone, characters change, etc, and each team needs to respond to each change. So if QA realizes that we made a mistake and *actually* this character shouldn't say this or this... also he should have a red sash instead of a blue one... also his house is in a swamp and it needs to be in the forest... etc. Each of those changes means that different teams need to jump in. Textual changes are particularly nasty because it means literally hundreds of people, producers, translators, managers, actors, directors, audio technicians, cinematic artists, etc, all have to deal with it.

So I mean, in the super abstract, yes, you are right. Giving Iorveth his own side quest wouldn't have been hard. Actually, we gave him a huge quest and multiple side quests and it was even playable*. But it got cut and it wouldn't have been simple to replace it at that stage of the project.

*Asterix to remind you that as a dev, my definition of playable is not the same as yours. No one who hasn't worked in gamedev really has any idea how janky and ugly games are until very very late in development.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

I don't suppose you're allowed to share the actual plot details of the cut quest?

The quest was pretty nilfgaard-centric and involved a renegade general (and demonologist) who was doing crazy wizard poo poo in Velen. Thaler was there, and so was Vincent Meis (but he got cut early). Iorveth was in there, trying to steal something from the demon-summoning general guy so that he could cure a plague that was killing his doods. Some parts of the old story stuck around, Eye for an Eye, Patrol Gone Missing, and... uh whatever the one is with the lady who wants you to find her redheaded kid? There was also a tiny quest in the Nilfgaard camp about some soldiers who stole a pig and tried to make it look like a monster took it. It got cut because it was bad (It was my quest, I'm allowed to say that.)

The whole nilfgaardian war stuff got cut for mostly just not fitting in well with the rest of the game and simply not having enough time to finish it properly.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I'm almost done with Hearts of Stone and I still can't get the taxman quest to trigger, the dumb idiot just stands there by the oxenfurt sewers no matter what time of day it is or what angle I come at him from or if I interact with nearby merchants. Is the quest just broken for some people?

How much money do you have?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I had like 30k when I went into the sewers for the toad quest, 5 K now when I found out the taxman quest exists because I upgraded a bunch of Witcher gear.

It may be suspended when you don't have the required amount of gold, it's been a while, but that makes sense that I'd implement it that way, since the quest does (potentially) ask you to pay a fine; I wouldn't want to fine you if you don't have a lot of gold to spend.

I can't actually check the details because I don't have this version of the editor installed anymore, so I'd suggest contacting our customer support: http://en.cdprojektred.com/contact-support/

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I'm finishing up B&W so I'm digging through neat anecdotes of yours now that I'm not as worried about spoilers.

Hey! Yes I did!

That makes me happy, one of the most fun things I got to do on B&W was pick out different voice sets for the different animals.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

TenaciousD posted:

Hi Comte, Iíve been trying to find out story behind the cut Iorveth content ever since the game came out, and to find someone who talks about it so openly is really cool. Iíve emailed, written letters and messaged a bunch of people who worked on it, from programmers to cinematics to leads like Mr. Blacha or the Tomaskiewicz brothers, but got no response or a "can''t talk about it" from most of them, which was understandable at the time. I get that you worked on this stuff a while ago, and you canít possibly remember everything, but I was wondering if you'd be willing to let me interrogate you... err I mean ask you some a million questions.

I apologize in advance for the fact that I got a bit carried away. Sorry! I won't post them here, as the post became way too long, but I pasted them on pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/5B60uEqc

nope, sorry

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

TenaciousD posted:

I apologize in advance for the fact that I got a bit carried away. Sorry! I won't post them here, as the post became way too long, but I pasted them on pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/5B60uEqc

You seem like a nice dude who spent to ask me questions, so I hope I didn't seem flippant. I can't answer any questions, and neither can anyone else, because we all signed an NDA. Everyone in the industry flexes them a little, but it's a bad bad habit to get into. Secondly, I don't even know who half these characters are. People got a bunch of leaks after one of our producers got phished, but those documents stolen were divorced from context- they contained a lot of information that was an idea someone had for, like, an hour or a couple of days. Things change a lot more in production than I think most people outside of the industry are aware of.

I will let you know that the little text chunk about "Ioverth's Curse" is an inside joke, not missing content.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Ugh, from reading the numerous other bug reports about this quest it seems its from some idiot designer who demands that people do the quest exactly how they envisioned it, and exactly the pace they envisioned it. Seriously, what's so hard about a location based trigger? Once geralt gets into the right area box, stop all ai (I assume they have interrupts that are external, otherwise flip a stop flag and wait for them to stop), collect the necessary garbage from the scripts, end them, despawn the extraneous npcs, then start-up the cutscene. It shouldn't have any issues unless you are playing fast and loose with pointers.

a very experienced redkit user has suggestions

edit: not my quest, might be badly implemented or broken, I'm just lollin at how easy you make it all sound

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Feb 6, 2017

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Yeah, but people need to learn personal responsibility and not have some nanny state witcher come and clean up their mess. Otherwise how will anyone learn not to make deals with otherworldly horrors?

I lolled

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Fuzz posted:

This is arguable. CDPR put out an official combat rebalance mod that makes it very similar to Witcher 3, though actually better in my opinion.

I keep seeing this, but I'm pretty sure the guy who made the mod made the mod on his own. It's not "official" in any meaningful way. Maybe I'm wrong?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Social pressure?

It gets me to the gym, which frankly is a lot harder than teleporting between worlds.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

There are LGBT people in Poland too, I know because a lot of them worked on the game.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Hopper posted:

Unlike in this game, I am sure there were a lot of black and Asian peeps in medieval Europe... said nobody who lives in a country that actually had a medieval period ever.

You are wrong, of course. The Mongols (asians, by any standard) conquered this land. Do they not count? What about travellers and traders? And of course, The Witcher isn't medieval, it's fantasy, and the games at least are much more heavily inspired by the Renaissance era. Also, it's fictional, so we can do anything we waaaant.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Under the vegetable posted:

don't be so dishonest. when someone comes in and ignores the setting, ignores all the messages the game has about racism, and prejudice, and power, and says they just dont understand it, why can't black people be in fantasy poland, they are just fantasizing about black people being used, being represented just to be victims, so they can learn a lesson a little bit easier.

go gently caress yourself

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

steinrokkan posted:

Anyway, sorry for reviving this um controvetsy I guess.

It's the only topic that actually gets me to post here anymore, so I appreciate it.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Hopper posted:

And you use a mobile phone every day for important reasons such as calling people, receiving mail etc. that are a core part of everyday life.

A lot of people I know bought consoles because they don't want or don't have time to bother with a PC and rather want the convenience of "put disc in and play" to use their limited time for gaming.
I don't think buying a 400Ä console every year is a priority to them.

I don't think most people buy a new phone every year, though. Don't most people buy one and keep it a few years before replacing it when it hits a wall of planned obsolescence?

I'm the worst person to comment on this, though I haven't owned a console since the SNES and I didn't own a smartphone till last year.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Tomira is a better romance than Triss or Yen.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

bewilderment posted:

Though the funniest part is getting up onshore and Roach is just there chilling.

Roach is a better romance than Triss or Yen. She's the tops.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

What's the go on the ability for talking animals to meaningfully consent though? Pretty sure Geralt's level of intoxication during that quest would also rule out consensual relations between the witcher and his horse. In conclusion, a bad videogame romance.

Unrequited romance.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

For all the peeps here who haven't played a Dark Souls, but liked the combat in Witcher 3. Go play Dark Souls, it's amazing and has better combat than W3 by a lot.

I suggest new players start with Dark Souls 2, for lots of reasons.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

I'm not saying that if you enjoyed W3 you should play Dark Souls (but you should, they are amazing in virtually every respect). But *if you enjoyed the combat* in witcher 3, you should play Dark Souls.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Constantly LARPing posted:

IIRC, they specifically told Shani's VA to make her accent a weird mix to show that she travels around a lot and can't be attached to a specific location.

For Letho it was probably an issue of it just sounding cool, verisimilitude be damned.

Letho's VA is from Wales, and did nearly the same accent when he was on Game of Thrones. I have no idea if that's any kind of Welsh accent or just some stage thing he does, but I like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRKidXDTkzQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

8-Bit Scholar posted:

If you don't like Yen, you're a misogynist?

I don't think anyone thinks this. But...

Yeah, it's deffo there. Maybe not so much in this thread, which is pretty civil and mostly quasi-mature adults, but Yen gets some nasty manboy-hate. Lambert is also a shithead who nobody in-game professes to liking, but fans mostly adore the guy. I don't think you can leave misogyny out of the equation when you routinely see people online interpreting all of her ambiguous actions in the worst possible light.

Yeah, she steals that stupid mask despite the fact that the druids tell her it will end the world, she's says that's a bunch of nonsense.

They are wrong, she's right.

She not only knows better than the druids, she knows that literally no one will listen to her, even Geralt will try to explain to her that there *must* be another way. And they will waste valuable time in the search for their daughter.

The fact that people online routinely interpret her actions as Yen nearly destroying the world over the objections of smarty men... I mean, am I totally wrong to smell some misogyny at play?

addendum: You don't need to like Yen, she tries really hard to keep people at a distance, including her closest friends and family. She's got very little regard for people she's not already close to. That's maybe a trait that y'all like or don't like in people. But I think that a lot of people interpret her character in a very superficial way that maybe reveals some biases.

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 8, 2017