Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Beeez posted:

I thought I wouldn't go for all the ?s, but I found a Spoil of War that had the Superior Swallow recipe in it, so now it's a real dilemma.

I am not totally positive because I only very rarely do loot placement, but I'm pretty sure most spoils of war and smugglers caches are incredibly unlikely to drop anything worthwhile. Hidden treasures are (often) good and bandit camps are very good, especially early game.

But really I have no idea, don't quote me on anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Bugblatter posted:

other than to dick over players.

That's what we live for.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Bugblatter posted:

I dunno man, between that last Iris's Nightmare fight and then learning the merchant exited the game world with no warning and for no reason, the DLC kind of left a sour taste in my mouth at the end. The writing was nice, especially during the wedding and the ending, and the visual effect for the painted world was cool. But between bosses that were more punishing than the controls/load times can serve and this poo poo, I can't really understand how anyone thought the decisions regarding most of the actual gameplay were good.

I just spent hours banging my dick in the door of these bosses with lovely controls, and then while trying to find the npc again I learn they popped out of existence and the best gear from the quest line was missed with no heads-up?

I'm teasing. It's a fair criticism. I didn't work on that part, but I did have a hand in another quest I'm not super proud of. But I think we've still managed to pretty consistently hit a very high quality level, especially considering that our team is a tiny fraction of the size of other studios operating in this marketspace . I'm not trying to minimize your frustrations, merely the suggestion that we did this out of a desire to hurt you, personally.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Dongattack posted:

Christ, these new boss fights are pretty lovely on a full sign build, none of the signs even scratch them. I'm at the guy with the shovel only so far tho.

They all have weaknesses, but they are pretty specific. For example, toad boss can't jump if he gets yrrdened, but gains different attacks and for the caretaker aard kills his ghost buddies instantly. The difficulty may have skewed a bit high, but I think the boss design is overall a lot more interesting.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Spite posted:

Can you talk to Yennefer or Triss about O'Dimm? My save is at a point where I can't really do so.

I like the DLC a lot, it's really good and I love all the myth and folklore references. But part of me can't get over the villain. A Stephen King style Devil figure in The Witcher setting - it feels like it doesn't quite fit. As much as I like the idea of Geralt interacting with Randall Flagg.

I never read any King, but the depiction of the devil as a dealmaker who gives you what you want... for a hidden cost, probably predates Christianity, much less Steven King.

EDIT: That said, there are direct references to King here. But also to Goethe.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Spite posted:

Yeah I wrote that poorly - I don't mean to say King invented that portrayal by any means at all. But there are several direct-hit-you-over-the-head references to King's devil character (or a bunch of crazy co-incidences).

For sure, I probably just don't notice them as much, I had no idea "O'Dim" was from King until I looked up Randal Flagg.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Palpek posted:

Dress codes were varied back then and also both Novigrad and countryside are based on medieval Poland, Cossacks fit right in.

There are people at this studio with cossack-style hair.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Lareine posted:

I'm having a bitch of a time finding Golden Oriole. I found the Enhanced and Superior Golden Oriole but not the original. I've checked all the herbalists, none of them sold it and from what I understand, potion formula placement in chests is random. So I guess I need to keep on going around and opening all chests? Does anybody know if you can find formulas in Smuggler's Caches?

I might be wrong, but I think there's an herbalist a little northwest of Oxenfurt who sells all of the basic recipes.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Tax collector only shows up for some players, he's not for everyone. But for those who meet his requirements, just run around the Oxenfurt market, he hangs out there.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Apparently not one of the developers of Witcher 3 has injested shrooms,

very very false

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Beeez posted:

So does that mean most have?

I'm not incriminating anyone when I say that psilocybin grows wild in every part of poland, quite prolifically.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Palpek posted:

Ok, Radovid's mask is my new favorite. Gerlat looks so bad in it.

Now go play Reason of State like that.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Palpek posted:

If you tell me that Radovid reacts to that mask somehow then holy poo poo I might as well do it, one extra line from him is enough. If that isn't the case then you should totally do that next time you have access to the voice actors and with Emhyr's mask too.

I have no idea if we did that, but we should have if we didn't.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I just saw "you might know it as Psylocibe..." and I'm like "REALLY??"

I mean realistically speaking you might think that you are a bear, but ya know...

For sure, but also, like, magic. And bears.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Jusupov posted:

Sitting by a fire, eating raw meat

A witcher's life.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

The Sharmat posted:

Hey Comte what is Shani's accent? I can't place it.

Weird.

The actress is either a brit who lived in the US for a long time, or an american living in britain for a long time, I forget which, but I don't think it's her normal accent anyway. The director told me that he had her specifically use a "hard to place" accent. So, mission accomplished, I guess.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

The Sharmat posted:

What was the reasoning behind that?

I don't really remember, but I'll make a couple of guesses.

1) Shani is from Redania, but she's spent a lot of time at university, and then travelling extensively, so she's adopted this more cosmopolitan accent.
2) We didn't use the original actress and this actress was doing an impression of her.

#1 sounds much better, so let's say that's "canon"*

*this is one reason (of many) why canon is bullshit

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Tirranek posted:

In fact, the only combat I thought was really crap was that cave fight against a whole bunch of regular armored dudes who took a thousand hits each and practically made you fight on a wooden bridge you couldn't climb back onto if you fell off. That wasn't so good.

That's my fault and I'm deeply sorry.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Twobirds posted:

This was definitely another fight that would have benefited from a post-cutscene, pre-fight checkpoint save.

There is one, actually.

EDIT: Nope, just checked. There *used* to be one, but it had to get moved to before the conversation for technical reasons.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Hey guys, I grabbed my ps4 today along with Witcher. It's telling me it wants a 17.9 GB patch, is that right? My internet isn't great so it's saying it'll take about 10 hours. Should I let it finish first, or can I play the game while that goes on in the background? Also is port forwarding to my router a thing I still need to do to let the ps4 download faster(not sure how to check the actual download speed of the update, it only has file size and eta)?

Even without the patch the game is pretty solid, you can probably play while it downloads.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Parkingtigers posted:

As this is a Polish game, I'm going to have to give huge props to whoever translated it, and whoever decided to cast those regional accents. It's just so spot on perfect and even though Scottish dwarfs are now a trope even that was fine.

Our localization team is the best in the industry afaik, that's on top of having an exceptional PL story team. I'd be interested to know how the translation is in other languages. I think we have VO in Japanese, Russian, German, and French, plus official text translations in Spanish, Arabic, Korean, traditional Chinese, and a few others?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Parkingtigers posted:

Sidenote: downloaded all the free DLC, and turns out it automatically turns on the alternate looks for Ciri and Yen etc. Not that I minded, the alt costumes are great, but the option was kind of hidden away and I only discovered it by accident.

Turn off Triss's. Opinions are mixed on Yen and Ciri's, but everyone agrees that Triss's makes her look like a huge dork.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

The Sharmat posted:

Triss: I'm taking a risk every time I walk out my door

*dresses in a gaudy as gently caress Elven Sage cosplay outfit with cleavage down to her navel*

It's not completely inappropriate at the ball but everywhere else it just looks hilarious.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Kopijeger posted:

Does the Polish version use regional accents as part of characterisation as well?

I don't think so, apparently there's not really the same kind of cool variations you get in the UK.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Tirranek posted:

Really interested about that aspect. Is it like winking to the camera kind of references, like the Mad Max ones in HoS?

One example that I'm familiar with (since I worked on it): In the Forefather's Eve quest all those chants and lines are from a poem by super-famous polish poet, Adam Mickiewicz.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dziady_(poem)

All those house decorations, with the painted flowers and such, it's polish as gently caress.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

The Sharmat posted:

I'm not remotely excited. It's probably not going to have a remotely appropriate budget to make live action work. Also a feature film is not at all the right venue for this stuff. Comte, tell CDPR to get the studio that does their cinematics to make an animated television series for HBO or Netflix.

I'm not remotely involved, I don't even think CDPR is involved, but I could be wrong. Regardless, my (limited) understanding is that the people who do our cinematics* are the people doing the movie, but I could be totally mistaken, you all probably know more than I do.

*Two different companies do our cinematics, I know very little about either.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Rinkles posted:

But seriously, what was up with that woman voiced rat? (Unless it's a later game spoiler)

I'm pretty sure that what you saw is not really there. I know that one of the ghosts in the tower doesn't properly despawn all the time, and it's possible to make her scream by walking into her or casting signs at her. There's no talking rat in this quest.

slightly later game stuff: this quest chain will bring you back to the tower later

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Rinkles posted:

That's what it looked like--somewhat glitchy--except it was clearly tied to a rat. It wouldn't move like the others. Right before the staircase after talking to the ghost lady, iirc.

Is the talking rat in the scientist's notes explained?

It may be that the broken ghost happened to be standing on a rat. It also may just be possible that the rat also broke- our swarm system gets a workout in that tower, it's not inconceivable that one of them also broke. It's been a while since I read the note, but I don't recall any talking rats, merely a rat that was described as, like, suspiciously smart, which I think is a reference to something and not directly related to the quest.

I could be wrong about the note, though, it's not my quest and I only played it a couple of times.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

The Sharmat posted:

I mean what was Geralt doing for six months?

Sidequests.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Beeez posted:

I guess they have to make a Witcher 2.5 mobile game to explain what happened.

Shortly after the events of witcher 2, Geralt enters rehab for his dice poker addiction. The next 23 weeks are pretty tough for Geralt, as recovery from addiction is a process of self-discovery, and he's never really been the introspective type. Regardless, he pulls through, and at the end of the regime he foreswears ever touching dice again.

5 days later, at an inn in white orchard, a traveling scholar introduces him to Gwent.

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Nov 13, 2015

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

The Sharmat posted:

I actually don't like the Axii dialogue options. Usually it's just an "I win the conversation" button and it's very boring that way. Sometimes it makes you miss amusing things too, like Ciri threatening to horribly maim two of Whoreson Jr.'s guards.

I liked the Axii option with the broken rose knights outside the fisstech lab in HoS. Geralt commands them to count to 100, and they do. If you wait around you get to see what happens when axii wears off (they are mad)

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

John Charity Spring posted:

There are a bunch where it works on one person and then the crowd all around them goes 'wait, what? witchcraft!' and turns hostile.

It's a little inconsistant, though, there are places where Geralt can axii whole groups, but other times he can't. I think it more or less corresponds to how difficult the axii check is, but I bet it's still not consistent.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

The Sharmat posted:

I also think it's a symptom of people reacting to video games in a way they don't to any other medium. People do not generally like to see the player character of a video game challenged by anyone. I think part of that is the reason Roche was far more popular than Iorveth in TW2 days as well. Iorveth is introduced being antagonistic towards Geralt, whereas Roche brings him out of prison. Yennefer likewise is snarky straight off the bat, whereas Triss is all sad and vulnerable and nice. It ends up coloring the all their actions, motives, and the circumstances in a way it wouldn't in a book or tv series or whatever, since a lot of players kind of insert themselves in the PC's shoes, whether this is by design or not. Perhaps as a related issue, there's a double standard of behavior in regards to the PC vs. NPCs. Geralt can be snarky to whoever he wants and it's awesome. Someone is snarky to Geralt? The player starts waiting for the game to give them an opportunity to kill them. Yen/Ciri/Whatever major character steals or does something morally dubious to move their plans forward? A large segment of the playerbase vocally condemns them for it. Geralt steals something to advance a quest? Not a peep. You would not see this discrepancy in anything but a videogame, I think.

I agree with your

I think I've mentioned this before, but I was watching a Let's Play of W3 and the player read one of those hangman's notices we have, it says "hanged for desertion, etc" and the LPer was kind of distressed about that, saying things like "Oh, man, that's super harsh, but, you know, it is a war, I guess that's what happens... but, man, poor guy."

He says this while he butchering a camp of "Deserters" because they have red life bars.

This is something that I hope we can actually address in our design in the future, because this isn't just about self-insertion, but also because of systems. By not having peasants react to the player stealing items, we are telling the player that it's not wrong. Morality is a social construction and most players restructure their morality to each game world instinctively. This is also why GTA doesn't inspire mass shootings and vehicular crime-sprees.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

The Sharmat posted:

Can I get a download link for this apparently leaked Blood and Wine expansion that CDPR is apparently just sitting on?

If you get it, let me know, could save us a ton of time.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Yeah, he was in the base game but got cut for reasons. He just never made sense for the expansions or DLC for other reasons. His previous role in the game was in a quest chain that eventually became the basis for Hearts of Stone, but between the initial implementation (for W3) and the full expansion (HoS) it was totally rewritten, to the point that you wouldn't recognize the quest at all. It was a story about the Catriona plague, Mr. Mirror, and some Nilfgaardian researchers. Maybe after we're all done with the game I can drop some more details, the cut stuff with Iorveth was mostly my stuff, so it makes me sad we never got to use him.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

PS Asia gave us some cool awards, but what I wanted to post was the dope-rear end shirt our boss is wearing:

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

RBA Starblade posted:

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll break lock and poke and dodge. What do you mean by alt Yrden though? Do the signs have alternate casts you can do?

All the signs have alternate modes that can be unlocked with skill points.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Woozy posted:

It's an argument with which I generally sympathize but in the case of TW3 it's an obnoxious misfire. There's no good reason that Faerun can't have people of color but TW is a story about Poland, about Polish people, and about various historical circumstances that shaped Polish culture and the Polish authors perspective. Complaining that the game world doesn't accurately reflect the racial composition of modern American society is just idle bitching.

I should *really* not participate in this discussion, but I will point out that the idea that middle-ages europe was a place of homogeneous skintones is actually a pretty modern creation, a creation that exists, at least partially, because of fictional depictions. Poland was once one of the most metropolitan places in Europe. Additionally, like much of eastern Europe, the place was entirely conquered for a pretty decent chunk of history by the Mongols- and those Mongol populations didn't vanish overnight when the empire receded, but became mixed into the local populations.

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Dec 3, 2015

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Woozy posted:

I realize that but the Poland that the author actually lives in and grew up in is whiter than most American suburbs. That's not to even mention the basic weirdness of the criticism. Is it just a question of the skin color of NPCs in the world? Okay that's an easy fix but nothing about dark skinned Temerians by themselves bears any resemblance to the specific construction of racial identity--e.g., "blackness" itself--certainly nothing in any case that would reflect the specific set of social conditions in which that construction exists in the first place. Would these characters have recognizably non-white features? Accents? Would they have a separate in-universe history and relationship to the fictional society that it mirrors or is in any way recognizable to a person of color playing the game right now? There's just something fundamentally strange about the idea of including real and specific socially constructed racial identities into a fictional society to better reflect the conditions of a modern, existing society thousands of miles away that has no historical relationship with the events that the fiction draws from. The closest analogue I can think of is something like localization--rewriting the universe so everyone speaks English. But even that sort of works on a different "layer" of the game.

Yes, Sapkowski's poland is lily-white, and largely culturally homogeneous, but he didn't make these games. He doesn't even like them. We rewrite his stuff constantly. A non-insignificant portion of the studio isn't Polish, including me. But I think with HoS we answered how we can be a little more diverse in our representations of people while still being true to the essential Polishness of the place. I think we answered it well enough that your questions seem a little disingenuous.

I really don't want to blow this up, as the criticism we received on this subject was *really* minor. Some people tend to get bent out of shape over this stuff in a way that is totally out-of-proportion to the actual criticism. You see it also in regards to feminist criticisms, which for some reason really get under some people's skin in a way that's not appropriate. (I'm not accusing you of being out of proportion, btw, I think you are making reasonable points.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah the full frontal is part of it but the series is also still living down the sex cards. Once a reputation is established it's hard to shake.

What's frustrating is that virtually no one who worked on W1 is actually still here.