Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

JetsGuy posted:

Prayer.

Like seriously I don't think I got my greater red mutagen until I was near the end of the game.

Good luck.

Bovine Defense Initiative reportedly drops them, and he's endlessly farmable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Pellisworth posted:

Sharmat was our Dandelion

RIP the great bard

Requiescat in pace. Melitele welcome him.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

T.G. Xarbala posted:

yeah rip in pace dewritos guy

Titties in the Witcher are dumb pandering but who cares, pop culture around the globe is filled with dumb pandering sex stuff and nobody loses an eye over it. Unless they live in a crazy fundie country.

We have an Arabic localization too, but it's actually the Japanese loc that has the most censorship.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

FuriousGeorge posted:

I like it when she still wears the brown burlap hood over her sparkly green elf princess dress to disguise herself.

she using glamor magic u dumass

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
The american accents for the principle characters is because we tried to keep the original cast whenever possible, and the localization people made a choice back on W1 for all the main characters to have american accents. I can't speak to the reasons for it, but I suspect it was more marketing than creative (at the time there wasn't a lot of energy spent on the english loc because it was assumed no english speakers would ever play). But you can also rationalize it in-universe that the American accent that the witchers use is just a Kaer Morhen accent, (Geralt's Rivian accent is supposedly *very* unconvincing) and that Triss is speaking with a Maribor accent (I like to imagine that Maribor is fantasy Malibu). Dandelion is just a dandy, so he speaks however the hell he speaks.

The Nilfgaardians are intentionally all over the place, because the Empire is huuuuuuuuuuuge, but those from the capital all have dutch accents.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
Anyone here able to read Mandarin?
http://imgur.com/a/6dUj2

That one with Roche and Ves is from my quest!! so cool (unless it's saying my quest sucked)

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Technically, Mandarin is a spoken dialect. Written modern Chinese is split into Traditional and Simplified and no matter how you pronounce the hanzi it's still written the same way within the system you're using. The only reason the various dialects of Chinese are considered variants of one language rather than a language family is because they all have perfect textual inter-intelligibility.

Incidentally, this is why Chinese films sometimes have Chinese subtitles. It's not just in case there might be hearing-impaired people in the audience.

A bit of *my career* trivia, when I was working at Obsidian, Atari sent us free copies of The Witcher 1. But because :atari: they shipped us the copies intended for one of their taiwanese studios and vice versa. So my original Witcher 1 stuff is all in chinese.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Palpek posted:

One Gwent game that you should lose on purpose is the one against halflings at the wedding in the expansion. To achieve the best results you should do it as the very first wedding activity.

I know what you get if you lose, and yes, it's awesome, but what do you get if you win?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

JetsGuy posted:

What do you get if you lose?

My lust for cards is why I win always.

They will tell you before you play, it's not totally blind. You get to wear silly looking donkey ears.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
Vlodomir's original VO was basically Doug Cockle's speaking voice, without all the batman raspy-ness and it was awesome, but it confused playtesters we redid it, sorry forever

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Optimus Subprime posted:

That's unfortunate, but one wrong can be righted. Please patch in a swag walk button for completing Hearts of Stone, tyvm.

There was actually a bug where you could lock Geralt like that, but I think patch 1.12 fixes it, wah-WAH

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

JetsGuy posted:

ALTERNATE WALK DLC!

$99.99

W3 was just a very elaborate long-con to get you to buy overpriced DLC to make geralt walk like a boss, and like it

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Chomp8645 posted:

Apparently Witcher 3 has been nominated for a writing award by the Writers Guild.

This sounded very prestigious and quite an honor until it was revealed that the same organization has nominated the Assassin's Creed series nine times, and actually gave the award once to Star Wars: The Force Unleashed.

http://www.destructoid.com/the-witcher-3-pillars-of-eternity-score-writers-guild-award-nominations-333541.phtml

The only people who are eligible are teams where at least one member is in the guild. Still, nice for them.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Doctor Bombadil posted:

Lambert and Keira.

Vlodomir & Trollolo

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

koreban posted:

The fast travel from anywhere mod is basically required for quality of life gameplay. It'll cut a good 20 hours off of your 100 hour playthough.

I have to come out very very strongly against this mod; being able to fast travel from anywhere, *especially* on a first playthrough, makes it way way too easy to break stuff forever.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

RBA Starblade posted:

I didn't use the mod out of fear of that but I'd have liked to, the fast travel system sucks. It's especially annoying having the post at Crow's Perch be outside Crow's Perch.

It's not great, but some of those quests are so complicated already, it would be so so so much harder if we had to account for the player being able to ft from anywhere. That said, hopefully we do better in the future.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

WoodrowSkillson posted:

The Crows Perch one and then Novigrad are the only actual problem areas. Anything else is pretty drat nearby to markers, and most of the furthest reaching quests have markers associated with them. Should just have one by the Baron's house that you unlock when you meet him, and a couple more in Novigrad, near Hattori and near Dijkstra.

The problem with Crow's Perch is that at some point in the Baron's questline, there are events and scenes we really want the player to experience and see from a distance. If we put it closer, you'd miss it. Of course, the solution is to just put the FT point closer and then when the player travels there during that spot in the quest, we intercept that and spawn the player outside instead. It might be momentarily disorienting, but I think worth the cost for the playability. But that's the kind of insight it's easy to have after it's released, but very hard to see when neck deep in bugs and literally nothing works. Like I said, next game, or maybe if there is a rerelease or something.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Yea lol I should git gud so I can get to Kaher Morhen before the main quest allows me.

Oh wait I can't. The content is literally gated by the main story.

It's you, you're the dumb one.

This makes no sense. If that were the case, why have any DLC at all? Might gently caress with people's saves (lol what?) Never mind the new haircuts and beard styles, multiple new witcher contract DLCs, gwent cards, HORSE ARMOR, etc. All of that was in Velen and it worked fine. If people had already beaten the game then why not just put the Wolf school stuff in Velen/Skellige like everything else? That way anyone staring over in NG or NG+ doesn't have to wait until 2/3 of the game is over to get the armor they want. It's a stupid decision and it forces people to re-use the Griffin/Bear/Cat stuff until near end game.

I'm a wolf school witcher. Not a bear or a cat, so what the hell? And then the Viper school gear is a slicker looking version of the Kaher Morhen starting armor you start with at the beginning of the game.

CDPR is pretty lazy and is rushing this DLC out so they can dust their hands off and say 'yep we promised 2 DLCs and we delivered ok get hyped about CYBERPUNK.'

I know right? Pointing out stupid stuff in video games is such an overreaction.

:goonsay:

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Mr. Pool posted:

Alright so I'm on my second playthrough and Witcher 3 is amazing. The one thing I can't get my mind around is the crisis for the magic users in Novigrad. First of all , Witcher 2 left me with the distinct impression that the most powerful of them are megalomaniacs that nearly destroyed the world. So I'm not feeling bad when they get hunted down. But what about the presumably innocent B-league wizards? Why do they need Geralt or anyone's help getting out of the city and avoiding pogroms? They can use goddamn magic, such as, portals! Or invisibility, or shapeshifting! Well maybe some of them are just alchemists etc. How about they just stop wearing wizard robes, dress like a peasant and walk out the goddamn gate? The city isn't locked down to people leaving afaik. Last point: maybe you folks should have left for Kovir when the first witch hunters started showing up and not when they cover the entire city. The fact that some literal Miracle Workers can't afford the boat fare for a trip to Kovir blows my mind, how are magic users not all rich? :psyduck:

I don't think that most of them are actually that powerful, you may have a skewed perspective since all the magic users in W2 were basically demigods. But the kind of people that the witch hunters are going after by the time of W3 are more like the herbalist in white orchard than Triss or Yennifer. As for why people don't abandon their homes immediately when things start getting bad... people don't like to leave their homes and they keep telling themselves that it will get better soon, it happens a lot.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

chaosapiant posted:

I appreciate the replies, it still sounds like what i'm looking for. I almost wish there was a way to just start Witcher 3 on NG+ if you are importing a character from W2 since thematically it makes sense based on Geralt's power level, but I've already beaten W3 so it's a moot point.

This may no longer be true, so sorry if it doesn't work, but I *think* that NG+ will be unlocked for you if you start a standalone HoS campaign. So load up a new HoS game, then exit and start a NG+. Again, sorry if it doesn't work, but it was a pet feature of the director, so I'd be surprised if it didn't ship.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Asehujiko posted:

271 hours into the game, I just realized that(Ugly Baby)Uma = Ugliest Man Alive. It's an acronym :haw:

I think it's actually a backronym, I seem to recall that Uma was "Uma" before he was UMA. I might be wrong though, this was all done before my time.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Sanctum posted:

I don't specifically remember Keira from the other witchers but jeez what an evil person.

Whaaaaaaaa?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Nasgate posted:

I would say i hear some of the Guard poo poo as often as in say Skyrim. However, "You'll choke to death of 3 pounds of steel" is way more :black101: than the arrow joke.

Your kind spreads disease, defeatism, and desertion

Patrolling the mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

SirSamVimes posted:

I've youtubed it. I love how he has enough style to whistle his own theme music.

The whistler is quest designer Philipp Weber, sadly uncredited for his whistling.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Nycticeius posted:

Is there any place where we can easily compare these looks?

https://www.google.com/search?q=wit...KHUSECnMQsAQIHA

Didn't see anywhere that has them all in one place.

Opinions are mixed on Yenn and Ciri, but everyone agrees Triss's looks weird as gently caress. If she only wore it to the ball it would be one thing, but if you enable it she'll wear it into the sewers.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Megazver posted:

I wonder if whoever was placing all those water ?s in Skellige was like "why am I doing this? who the gently caress will do these?"

Or was he staying at work on voluntary overtime, enthusiasm burning in his eyes, going "yeah, people will LOVE this poo poo, can't let them down!"

One of these things is true.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
And really, Yen knows what she's doing, as always. You people...

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Feb 15, 2016

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Ice Fist posted:

I have a feeling that this is meant to say that everything in the "reveal" post is pretty much false.

:smith:

it just says "." now

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Fargin Icehole posted:

Came to this realization, Is Geralt basically a really respectable (at least to his customers) exterminator?

If you meet the tax collector he does explain that Witchers are in the same tax classification as pest exterminators.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Nasgate posted:

Blaming consoles in these cases is silly because the inventory systems suck on consoles too.

I think only Skyrim qualifies as good with a controller, bad with m+kb.

Witcher and FO4 are just as clunky with either.

It's not a great idea to use Bethesda games for this example anyway, since Morrowind had a nightmare interface as well, long before the franchise went anywhere near a controller. It was Windows 3.1 the RPG.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yeah the beard is not literally growing in real time

(Unless there's a mod for that)

If you get your beard styled it will stop growing. The beard styles stuff was a sort of late addition so we didn't have time to do different phases of hair growth for each style.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I'd love to see them release a HoS sized story DLC every 6 months from now until the heat death of the universe but apparently they're done with Geralt after Blood and Wine.

It would literally kill me. :(

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
You guys are the real monsters.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I think one of the things we do very well is handling sequence breaking in a logical and consistent manner. At least, I sure as poo poo hope we do it well, because it's a fuckload of work.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Megazver posted:

Was the "free the tree horse before you visit the crones and you get the better ending for both the children and the wife" thing on purpose?

I don't know, but in my own personal experience I typically design one or two different paths; we keep to a very strict design philosophy that the world needs to be logically consistent. If there's no good reason to put a lock on a door, we try not to do it. If it doesn't make sense for a character to just despawn until certain arbitrary conditions are met, we don't despawn them. And what's cool is that we're getting better at it, though it's very labour intensive.

A question for you guys, have there been any good games in the last 2-3 years that do quests like us? I've missed a ton of games in recent years and I'm wondering if there's stuff I didn't see. Doesn't need to be narratively deep or in the same style, I just mean, really complex scripted stuff.

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 25, 2016

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I worked on AP. :)

Good suggestions, thanks.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

twistedmentat posted:

I really hope Iron and Wine is this good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyiSg_iNLSI

Some people think it's a little obnoxious, but I'm a fan, particularly of his earlier stuff before his voice got confident.

EDIT: Oh, you mean Blood & Wine? Yeah, it should be dope, but it won't have the longing or bearded vulnerability of Iron & Wine. (probably)

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Mar 1, 2016

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

twistedmentat posted:

Derp, yep, that's what I meant. I'm curious where it's going to take place. There's a lot of empty space on both major maps, like entire Islands in Skellige that have nothing on them.

New map, new city.

Some screenshots:
http://gamerant.com/witcher-3-dlc-blood-wine-image/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Megazver posted:

Are you allowed to say when the DLC takes place yet?

Like, chronologically or release date?

Either way, no.

EDIT: I'm not marketing, so all I can say is that I'm working on it and so far I think it's looking really good.