Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

extra stout posted:

Also what armor is that from 5-8 seconds in?

not-geralt armor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I found it but the quest is bugged for me :( I'll never save them pigs

What happened? That's one of my quests and I know there's a bug where some guys get flagged as immortal, but if you leave the area (fast travel to be sure) and return, it should work.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

That happens, if I come back they're level 4 and I can attack them, but it still doesn't do anything, they stand around not reacting and Geralt is stuck in combat mode. Some people had some luck reinstalling and verifying caches and what have you so I'm going to try that.

That sucks man, it's a problem with the way they get their immortality flag removed, but it *should* be fixed if you leave and return. Not sure why it wouldn't work, lemme know if you figure it out. You should also drop a line to our customer support people, they are very good and might have a solution I don't know of.

http://en.cdprojektred.com/contact-support/

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
Hope you guys enjoy the expansion. Remember to keep an eye out for an old flagellant lady with a cabin in the woods (she's one of mine).

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 30, 2016

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Thanks!

Weird that it's in Polish. Guess I'll accept it and hope the entire quest isn't in the wrong localisation.

What's weird is that it's not just in Polish, it's in DEBUG, which is the note that the quest designer writes before it goes off to story to be rewritten in Polish, then localized to English. I'm assuming you are playing in English?

Anyone else here having this bug? The notice should appear on the noticeboard near Gran'Place in the city.

Very strange bug, I may be sending you some questions so we can figure it out for the patch, do you have PMs?

It's a cute quest though, I hope you enjoy it.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Hey Palpek, what's this say?

Just found it on a notice board.

This is what it should say:

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

SirSamVimes posted:

you should feel ashamed by the way

it's 2016

I chuckled at it.

There's a joke in this expansion that references Mutual of Omaha's "Wild Kingdom", so a Leeroy Jenkins gag is positively contemporary.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
There are a couple of "rabid trolls" in Tousaint too, though I forget exactly where they are.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Kopijeger posted:

Also, the quest involves going to a ruined "Bastoy prison". This is a surprising reference - what prompted a Polish developer to reference a Norwegian prison in a game set in Fantasy Provence?

multicultural team, not just polish

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

iGestalt posted:

I know that Blood and Wine is set after the main story and thus meant to be played post-game.

When is Hearts of Stone meant to be taken on? Post-game before B&W or some other time during the main story? Can't work it out, atm.

Play it anytime. Level recommendation is like 30+ I think.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Turds in magma posted:

Don't have that bug, but if this is for bug reports (I know it's not...) I can't upgrade my villa. I did the first renovation, but now it says "wait 2 days for the garden" and "wait 2 days for the stables", but no matter how many days I wait they don't finish.

Is this known? Is there a workaround?

Beautiful game by the way!

edit: worth pointing out that before i got stuck on the stables and garden, my "guest room" actually completed, but when I go up there are no renovations.

I loaded an earlier save and I can complete the renovations, but it's like 15 hours ago.......

I don't know, it's not my quest. I've heard people mentioning this, but the best place to get an answer is probably our tech support peeps: http://en.cdprojektred.com/contact-support/

They are very good and very fast and probably already have a workaround for this. Good luck!

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
The rope can't be used, sadly; it's a bit of poor design, but it's not broken.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Connoisseur posted:

Only thing I think might've triggered this mess is that after general renovations my first project was a grindstone and armor table, during which I traveled to Velen and meditated the wait time there. Got completion messages in the HUD for those two finishing but never for the subsequent projects in Toussaint iirc, possibly because of compounding bugginess.

This is exactly what's causing it. We're working on a fix atm. No idea when it will be available, in the mean-time check with customer support for a workaround.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I really need to get up to date on the previous games. Is there a generally reccomended LP?

ChristopherOdd has good ones. I use it for when I need to check something in previous games because he's very very thorough. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?ChristopherOdd

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Charles Get-Out posted:

She does, just not permanently, and Geralt seems fine with this. Not everything needs to be undying love forever and that's why my Geralt had a great fling with Shani and kicked Yen and Triss to the curb.

She needs someone who's not a manchild

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I am glad you guys like Equine Phantoms, it's one of mine.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

WirelessPillow posted:

Could have given us more time :(

There was originally a design for the decoction to be reusable, allowing you to talk with her anytime you wanted, but it was super outside of scope and overbudget.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
For those who played Equine Phantoms, may I ask how you found it? It's intended to be moderately hidden, with the ! only showing up when you are already pretty close.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Shannow posted:

Thirdly, couple of quests that appear broken? Still don't get any gwent cards upon finishing the 'till death..' quest despite Geralt saying he's found them

This means you already have the cards, they aren't unique. It's a lovely bug, but you aren't missing out on anything.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Baiard posted:

Where is Equine Phantoms?

Near Dun tynne crossroads, north eastern side of the map, south side of the river

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

SirSamVimes posted:

Fun fact: There were actually apologists for the Cat Witcher in this thread. It was pretty great.

There are people in this thread who are apologists for slavery, so, yup.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

SirSamVimes posted:

re: slavery - I think one of the more interesting moral dilemmas in the setting is that Nilfgaard does indeed bring order and peace and a higher standard of living but also they're slavers and conquerers and all around bastards. But they're polite and refined and allow relative autonomy to captured states. Obviously Nilfgaard is Not Good and Emhyr can get hosed, but they're also not 100% bad. It's a wonderful peace of grayness which I really appreciate.

I think one of my big disappointments with some of the cut content in W3 is that we lost a lot of the darker shadings on the Nilfgaardians. The cut stuff wasn't the same quality as the rest of the game and there's no way we'd have had the time to finish it, but the Nilfgaardians do some pretty heinous poo poo in the name of law & order. Yeah, they create order and prosperity, but what is that worth to the people they crush to get there? Wealth and rule of law are pretty pointless when a significant portion of your population have no (or at least very limited) access to either.

Bernie 2016

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Avalanche posted:

Yo Comte

Expansion loving rules and thank you and the rest of CDPR for this. Honestly my favorite game of all time next to childhood nostalgia for Super Mario bros.

cool, np, glad you like it

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Needed more missions where Geralt was screwed out of money / a reward imo.

I think part of the problem with this line of argument is that there's sort of this idea, heavily promoted by other RPGs, that there's a good guy and a bad guy in every situation, and it's up to you, the player, to decide which is which. That's clearly not the case here, and saying that the Cat witcher was a mad dog doesn't also mean that the peasants can't be rotten bastards. What this quest (and a lot of our velen quests... maybe most of them?) is asking you to do is decide what justice means when there's an absence of law.

So, at least for me, the cat guy is unstable and dangerous, and starving peasants don't deserve to have their entire village butchered for cheating someone- or even trying to kill the guy. I think proportionality needs to be part of any understanding of justice. Feel free to disagree, but... drat, yo.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Brumaldo posted:

I also lost the ability to lock on for the longest time, then the game fixed itself when I went to storm the castle.
Weird rear end bug.

It's not related to any specific quest, it's actually a problem in the code, though certain quests will *always* trigger it. Please contact customer support for more info or practical walkarounds, though.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Mr E posted:

If I for the most part skip Gwent because I'm bad at card games that aren't Hearthstone or Triple Triad, will I miss anything besides more Gwent cards?

It's probably worth learning the game, it's not complicated once it *clicks* and it's not super difficult either. But I find it pretty rewarding anyway, and yeah, it's an additional thing you can do with some people and there are a couple quests.

I don't like these sorts of things either, but I actually dig Gwent.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Palpek posted:

Lol it's me, I'm the guy who wrote that Cat School Witcher's fate has some interesting similarities with Geralt's own 'death' (that started the whole game trilogy and ended the book saga which from what I remember you haven't read) which gives the quest another angle for people that are familiar with Geralt's past - being compared to a literal nazi slave appologist from earlier in the thread, yup.

I didn't mean it personally. :( I think your experience and viewpoint is valid.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

yo Comte, two Polish notices labeled [PL] [DEBUG] at the Gran'place signpost board. Also some of the new general skills say they increase damage or time or whatever by +$I$%. GOG versh.

This is a problem with the GOG installer, if you verify the cache it should fix it. If that doesn't work, reinstall. :P

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Funky See Funky Do posted:

So, third time I'm asking: Is there a secret ending? I googled it a little but it just shows the regular ones. Was it just buzz prior to release?

Where did you hear about a secret ending? I've never heard of any such thing.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I really want to ask the goon who apparently works on the dev team whether or not the writers, voice actors and voice directors go through the script together to ensure prime delivery, because not only does the dialogue sound well-written and natural on the tongue, the emotional inflection is also really good. One of the worst things in the Elder Scrolls games was how characters would just go from being pleasant and polite to angry and confrontational to stupid and content and back and forth basically by the line. Conversations felt incoherent, whereas the Witchers' sound natural, believable.

The only "bad" line in the game is when Geralt is giving his "i'm gonna kill you" speech to Whoreson Junior, and that's almost so bafflingly bad that I can only assume it's a translation error that they couldn't smooth out.

I don't know how the PL is handled, but the way we generate stuff is more or less as follows:
1. designer writes a DEBUG outline, if you have the gog installer bug and have seen stuff with [PL][DEBUG], this is what you are seeing, the original notes from the designer. These are sometimes in PL, sometimes in EN, depending on the designer.
2. story team writes all the DEBUG out as PL, but they also fill it out. A DEBUG might be one or two lines, but the initial PL might be 20.
3. Localization takes the PL and localizes it to EN, the EN then serves as the basis for all other localizations.
4. Each voiced localization is recorded and managed by different directors, all working from the same instructions.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Funky See Funky Do posted:

There was talk pre-release that doing a certain thing during the main quest (the Wild Hunt one) would open up a secret Blood and Wine ending.

http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/gaming/645315/Witcher-3-Blood-And-Wine-Release-Date-Weapons-Map-Size-Secret-Ending-Details-Leaked

Re-reading it perhaps they meant the main Blood and Wine story?

Details leaked from "insiders" usually means "made up poo poo". None of the other things they said were true either.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Pick up the 'fast travel from anywhere' mod. It'll make Novigrad a lot more enjoyable.
http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/324/

Just make sure you're outside of any quest specific area. There's one where you'll be fighting to get into someone's house in Oxenfurt in the Novigrad main quest, make sure you leave the house and courtyard completely before fast travelling.

Make sure you save a lot, because this is exceptionally risky.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

dyzzy posted:

Found the horse spirit quest. Oh my god this game

Weird thing happened to me. when I got back to the hermit and spoke to her there was a panther spirit chilling right next to her at 10% HP. It attacked as soon as the dialog finished. Maybe a side effect of me instagibbing a bunch of them in the fight with freezing aard?

Might be, that unified health bar requires the panther spirits to be spawned somewhere on the map, so I spawn them next to the hermit's hut. If one of them somehow bypassed the death mechanics, they might still be present.

In retrospect I should spawn them somewhere totally inaccessible. Next time.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

ThomasPaine posted:

I'm sure I remember reading that there was some crossover thing that would have your decisions in BaW influence the main game's plot or vice versa from one of the devs. Maybe I'm misremembering.

This is from a widely reported "leak" that was not so much a "leak" as "bullshit on reddit". Seriously, go back and read that post, it's either wrong (secret ending, bone sword), so vague as to be effectively meaningless (brotherhood of the wolf vibe), or information that could be gleaned from data mining our patches (armor dye).

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
Well, considering that she's a noblewoman and lady-in-waiting she probably long ago made peace with the idea that at *some point* she'd be getting married to some dude she barely knows, and Guillame may be lame, but he's not a villain.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Vikar Jerome posted:

The holy mountain

We began in a fairytale and we came to life. But is this life reality? No, it is a videogame. Zoom back camera.

Somewhere out there is a team portrait of the studio, but I don't know exactly where.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

RatHat posted:

Played (character spoiler)Letho's quest and I'm surprised you aren't given the option of saving Letho's contact who betrays him, Louis. Geralt just leaves him there to bleed out no matter what.

witchers b4 snitchers

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Verranicus posted:

I'm not sure it's right to expect diversity in a fantasy world based on mythology from a part of the world that was and still is like 99.999% white

This is a misconception that a lot of people have, it's also irrelevant, even if it was true.

The ethnic and "racial" homogeneity of modern day Poland is largely the result of *recent* historical forces. Late middle ages and renaissance Poland was actually quite cosmopolitan. Moreover, it's becoming increasingly diverse today, and the game is meant to deal with modern issues, it's not a historical simulation.

Secondly, the game doesn't take place in Poland, it takes place in Temeria and Redania, totally fictional places that can look like anything we want it to look like.

The criticism is valid, if minor (and even in the context of the Polygon review, it is a minor criticism). The reaction to this criticism is complicated, however, by the fact that the reviewer is imposing a racial scheme that is at least partially foreign to the majority of the developers. The general understanding of American racial schemes baffle many of the Poles I know, which is unsurprising, considering how many Americans I know are similarly baffled. Regardless, many Poles do not consider themselves to be part of the racial class that we in America would call "white".

That said, we are making an international mass-market product that needs to be sensitive and cognisant of the various cultures where we're selling the product, and America is one of our largest markets.

Sorry for bringing this back up, but I actually think it's one of the more interesting discussions we can have in this thread. So I guess... sorry, not sorry.

EDIT: But I think actually it's been done pretty decently already, I think this is the third or fourth time I've posted this. So, sorry, not sorry, legit sorry.

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jun 15, 2016

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Chalks posted:

Sure, you could have avoided this criticism by doing that but it would be far better to include a rich and complex culture that fits in with the lore of the game, making it an important part of the world - which is absolutely what I imagine you would have done if you were to tackle this issue.

I think this is what we did in HoS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Palpek posted:

How about no.

can't stop won't stop