Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Starting a game on hardest difficulty. Still in the first little gay village, just did the "find my brother" and "devil in the well" so I guess those are the only two post board missions on that board?

anyhow, any tips? should i be dismantling everything? etc etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
I can only make bombs once? I made a Samun bomb (which gave me two, which I used to clear monster nests) and now I can't craft more since it says I already have this item (at 0/2)

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Palpek posted:

Don't worry about experience - you need to change your RPG habits for this game a bit to really enjoy it. Basically do quests for the dialogues, interactions and stories and not for XP or items. You will most likely outlevel some side-quests during your run (their level requirement will become greyed out) - don't let that spoil your experience, relax, do those quests anyway.

If you feel the need to level up do a main story mission, they're the main source of xp in the game and are tailored to level you up quickly.

Exhaust every white dialogue option before clicking the yellow ones - the yellow ones progress the conversation and this game has such an unheard of quality to writing that you'll be missing out.

There are a few viable builds but if you're having a really hard time use Quen, it's the most OP. You can focus on sword combat but you'll always need a sign or two to back it (Yrden+Quen). You can focus on sign usage but then your most important stat is sign intensity which you can maximize with proper items. Another build is going all in into alchemy where you'll focus on chugging potions and using oils - there's a bomb build in there as well but it will become less and less viable in the endgame.

The combat requires you to be mobile - use all potions, oils and bombs, cast signs, draw out single enemies from the group, hit once or twice and back off. If you try tanking in this game you'll have a really bad time.

Learn to roll and dodge and know the difference between them (for example it's better to dodge when fighting humans and roll when fighting monsters).

The game world has the whole range of monster levels present from the start so just run away from too tough enemies, you're supposed to tackle them later. The rewards will unfortunatelly be tailored to your level so it's not really worth it anyway.

You'll be poor for some time and the way to get rich at first is to pick up everything your enemies drop - swords, armors, everything and sell it all to blacksmiths/merchants. It adds up.

When you destroy a monster nest don't forget to loot it! There are good items in it and many people didn't know that (myself included).

There's a way to cheese combat when on a horse - HOLD DOWN the attack button and the time will slow down when you approach an enemy letting you easily hit them. I learned that waaaay too far into the game as it doesn't really explain this in any tutorial. You can calm down your horse using Axii, there's also a potion that makes her immune to fear.

You can ride your boat faster just like your horse, the game never tells you this.

Witcher gear will be your main source of itemization satisfaction but it takes some time to find, craft and you'll be also waiting to level up to use it so...don't be afraid to craft other items in the meantime. Don't go crazy with that not to use up resources needed for Witcher gear but still you can do that from time to time.

There are some real consequences to Geralt's interactions with his loved ones. This is true to many other NPCs but they don't affect the ending. Weigh your options...carefully.

If you get into Gwent then you may end up getting beaten by some NPC and then that NPC may be gone when you come back to them later. Their cards are always lootable somewhere in such instances though so either google them or ask in this thread.

6 hours in and I'm just going up to the Nilfs to talk to Yen, and also just got the Viper swords. Cleared out white orchard. game is good. game is ftw.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Trash/sell any Yellow/Blue weapons? No reason to hold onto them expecting one of them to be special and useful later on eh...

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Love it when Deserters call me Witch Fucker.

[sighs, looking back at Witcher 1 Tittie Cards]

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Lmao was Whtie Orchard the tutorial area? I'm guessing the dude asking me questions during my beard shave is recreating my save file from witcher 2 huh

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah White Orchard is the tutorial zone. It takes I dunno 5ish hours to do fairly completely, the base game is a good 80-100 hours total of solid content. You've seen like 10% of it, game is huge.

And yes, you're recreating your save from W2. Most of the decisions don't have huge consequences BUT I would suggest letting Letho live because he'll show up as part of a cool quest you'd otherwise miss out on.

You will also learn to bow to the Emperor.

Yeah, pretty much went with what I do remember from my actual W2 run (which did end with letting Letho live cause he's great). 8h tutorial zone tho ftw.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Man Ambassador var Attre is incredibly useful and I wish Witcher 2 had a similar character in the beginning so I could've understanded more what was going on during that whole political scene mishmash.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Man I don't know about the default/base difficulties but hardest is so loving good. Every big fight (killing the first Werewolf now, in Veren or wahtever. In his lair.) has me on the edge of my seat trying to keep tabs of my potions/signs/buffs/food/toxicity/etc

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Also if I make a XYZ Decoction I have it for life and can use it at any fight??

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
LMAO NO the loving werewolf in the cave, after I let the woman flee, just instantly hit me for the rest of my health after the dialogue ended. welp gonna expect that next time i guess.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Can I wait until I finish the game to buy DLC or does it sctivate at a certain level? Forgot sbout that

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Man I think it means a lot more that the world is so beautifully crafted that I'd rather ride my horse through it than use fast travel, even if it isn't as big as XYZ or whatever. I think the only time I used fast travel was when I was forced to use it to leave Emyr's castle up to now

I AM BRAWW fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 11, 2016

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Someone send me their GPU until I finish this game so I can have both grass density set to Ultra and foliage visibility range set to Ultra

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Do y'all meditate p. much after each fight? Riding down a road and stopping to fight some cannibals in the AM, meditating, finishing off the cannibal chief after said meditation, meditating again, flipping some totem poles on the road for an old lady, seeing witch titties in her pocket dimension pool thing at lunch, going to next quest, fighting a water hag for the first time, meditate, etc.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
bad at video games on the hardest difficulty i suppose, but yea i use up most of my grapeshots/firebombs and swallows in big fights

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

WoodrowSkillson posted:

are you still early on? what level? The game is hardest in the early stages while you are still learning the combat and do not have access to witcher gear yet.

Are you using the 2 witcher gear swords from the starting zone? If not your swords might be underleveled.

Not to be all Git Gud, but maybe practice a bit against some lower level enemies to get the hang of dodging and rolling. One of the most useful tactics is to sidestep towards the enemy, to get behind them as they take a swing, and then wail on them. this works great against many enemies, including humans.

Use signs. Quen is a must while learning, as its a free hit. Igni is also very useful, as even unupgraded it sets humans and many monsters on fire, temporarily taking them out of the fight.

Oh yeah I'm still very early game. Just doing the "find Elven mask guy with witch chick" quest now. I got the two Viper Witcher swords from the previous area. I've just just hit level 5 and have been fighting up to level 9 mobs so I guess that might have something to do with it. Have mostly been using Puppeteer Axii as my main sign. Not complaining about the meditating, just curious if anyone else did it nearly as much as I do.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
i just had sex

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
in the video game lol..

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
lmao what, I froze Mourntart the Grave Hag with one of those freeze-bombs, inside my Yrden, and one-shotted her. She's like 3 levels above me too. ftw

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Classic "die to a fight 5 times in a row late at night, go to bed, defeat her easily in the morning." Jenny O' The Woods is pretty different from other fights. It's really just a long one and you can't rush it or else she punishes you pretty hard.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Letho is soooooooo bufff :swoon:

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Palpek posted:

Letho is imo the best witcher after Geralt.

I'm so happy I actually get to tag along with him for a quest. Doing that right this moment. I was really surprised too to find him where he was. I've come to expect that most Witcher contracts are more than meets the eye but he was a really cool surprise.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
He's pretty much a Witcher version of Riddick too.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
lmao, doing the Dragonslayer Grotto for Griffin Armor hunt, just defeated the Ekimmara (thanks to the bestiary for making fun of me expecting vampires to look like undead humans, forgot about that) and a level fuckin 20 Leshen or whatever teleported down into the cave with a sliver of HP left.

I'm level 8

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Yep, it wanders around that area, but it making it into the cave is weird af.

Caught me really off guard. I backtracked to make sure I didn't miss anything in the cave and seen a enemy pulse with detective senses. Thought it was a Wraith I missed so I get Yrden ready and Specter Oil, turn the corner and it's a loving level 20 Leshen with a death skull next to it's name, big man had no hp left but still took a straight 20 hit combo to kill.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Can someone give me a tip for this one?

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
lmao this blacksmith looks way too much like that one dude from Game of Thrones, can't remember his name

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
So playing as Ciri she's pretty much just all melee with ninja-dashes?

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Love Geralt's comments and self-awareness in completely stupid situations lol. But hell if he doesn't save the goat named Princess by ringing it's drat bell all the way back to the Seer's shack, who will?

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Also jesus gently caress. I started out with the witch path to find Ciri, did Keira (heh) and helped her out. Then decided Crogwhatever was too far away for now, so switched to the Baron. I don't know how close to ending the quest I am (we're about to mess wit the Botchling I guess) but this is amazing character development

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
lmfao the Rock Troll is so good. Glad I had paint on me. I can't believe murdering him is even an option.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Is it possible to entirely clear the land of any of the "big"-ger enemies? Looking at stuff like Wyverns/Archgriffins or whatever and not Ghouls/Drowners/

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Also is there any reason why the Armorer in Oxenfurt offers me like 450 for a relic sword while the little dwarf poo poo in the Baron's castle offers me like 100 or so?

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

Now reload this save and let the troll paint the emblem instead

fff I should've thought about that. too alte :'(

Dirt posted:

Different merchants offer different prices.

You get more for swords/armor from Blacksmiths/armorer dudes.

Yeah I knew about that, didnt' expect such HUGE differences thought. Gonna be more weary about selling relics to whoever now.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
i'm sitting here and it's awfully dramatic; having encountered the Crones, Gran, just having finished hearing the Baron's sob story about him and Anna, seeing how kind he was to Ciri, etc..

And then they bring in that little loving thing Uma? and he casually says he won him in a game of cards? lmao

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
I finished the Baron/Ladies of the Forest questline.

Sheesh, that's some extremely grim and depressing storytelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
I haven't bothered checking out the different outcomes yet, but I ended up with killing a village because of hell horse, Anna dying (but hey at least she got a few last non-insane words in to her daughter and the Baron), and the Baron hanging himself. The kids were no where to be found thought?? maybe they were saved, I hope.

That was hella heavy, blow after blow each turn until the very end of that quest. I think the most dissapointing thing in the Witcher 3 up to now is the fact I CAN'T KILL THE MOTEHRFUCKING CRONES? but gently caress, after giving up their information on Ciri and what they did to Anna and outright sending a Fiend at me, I do hope my hellhorse ends up fuckin 'em up or something.