Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TenaciousD
Feb 4, 2017

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

The quest was pretty nilfgaard-centric and involved a renegade general (and demonologist) who was doing crazy wizard poo poo in Velen. Thaler was there, and so was Vincent Meis (but he got cut early). Iorveth was in there, trying to steal something from the demon-summoning general guy so that he could cure a plague that was killing his doods.

The whole nilfgaardian war stuff got cut for mostly just not fitting in well with the rest of the game and simply not having enough time to finish it properly.

Hi Comte, I’ve been trying to find out story behind the cut Iorveth content ever since the game came out, and to find someone who talks about it so openly is really cool. I’ve emailed, written letters and messaged a bunch of people who worked on it, from programmers to cinematics to leads like Mr. Blacha or the Tomaskiewicz brothers, but got no response or a "can''t talk about it" from most of them, which was understandable at the time. I get that you worked on this stuff a while ago, and you can’t possibly remember everything, but I was wondering if you'd be willing to let me interrogate you... err I mean ask you some a million questions.

I apologize in advance for the fact that I got a bit carried away. Sorry! I won't post them here, as the post became way too long, but I pasted them on pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/5B60uEqc

TenaciousD fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Feb 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenaciousD
Feb 4, 2017

MikeJF posted:

D'aw, he registered just to ask you that.

I really did. Oh well, no regrets. The search continues! I'll get my answers and will be able to retcon this in my head one day.

If anyone is curious, I'm pretty sure that the general / big bad Comte mentioned was indeed Martin Hector Krafft Ebbing, who was most likely voice acted by David Annen, the guy who did Dethmold in TW2 and BB in B&W. I guess the demonic force he teamed up with was going to be Gaunter O'Dimm? This is even more interesting read seeing as Iorveth was meant to be in the questline.

You know the mask you get in Blood and Wine from Regis when he asks you to pick mandrake roots, that was called Martin's mask originally (image 1).

By the way, the concept art for the Kayran mask was legit.

TenaciousD fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 5, 2017

TenaciousD
Feb 4, 2017

That DICK! posted:

Let's get down to brass tacks: how big is Geralts dick

There's a mod for that. ;)

TenaciousD
Feb 4, 2017

Jizz into Darkness posted:

Having a bunch of cut content surrounding a nilfgaardian general explains the House of Respite not being a part of any quest, despite having a mechanic where it's locked unless you're wearing fancy dress.

That's a shame though, quests that force Geralt into a doublet are the best.

This is just me speculating, but I think the plague questline could have also fixed Reason's of State.

You kill Radovid, and do give the plague cure to Emhyr. Dijkstra decides that it's too risky to betray his allies and begrudgingly sticks with the agreement.
You kill Radovid, and don't give the plague cure to Emhyr. Nilfgaard is weakened by the outbreak, the tide has turned, and Dijkstra decides to betray his allies and kill the Temerians behind Geralt's back in order to rule Redania.
You don't kill Radovid, and you don't complete the plague quest. Radovid gains control of Novigrad, and it's resources, Dijkstra flees back to Zerrikania, and Radovid secures the North under his "enlightened" rule. Emhyr is killed by domestic agents, and Voorhis becomes Emperor.

It's not perfect, but it makes a whole lot more sense than what happens in the finished game, where there is no reason for Dijkstra to think that he could take Geralt, or that Geralt would just walk away.

It would be cool if CDPR could do something like Volition did recently, where they showed off a bunch of their cut content from the Saint's Row games. Then even showed an entire game that got cut near completion. Ryslaw was doing something similar with TW1, but I think he was asked to stop, or maybe he just lost interest.

TenaciousD
Feb 4, 2017

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I would have been happy having Geralt be able to ask Dijkstra to give Upper Aedirn independence. I would have sold out Roche and Ves for that a lot easier. Thaler would still make me want to kill Dijkstra though.

Who would you be giving independence to, though? According to the Saskia comic, Vergen gets burned to the ground by Nilfgaard. Which is a bit odd, as TW2 makes a big deal about Vergen being an important strategic location. Nilfgaard could have used it as a staging ground for incursions into the North.

I don't know if that Saskia comic is 'canon', because there's a knight from Vergen in the tourney in B&W.

TenaciousD fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Feb 5, 2017

TenaciousD
Feb 4, 2017

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

You seem like a nice dude who spent :10bux: to ask me questions, so I hope I didn't seem flippant. I can't answer any questions, and neither can anyone else, because we all signed an NDA. Everyone in the industry flexes them a little, but it's a bad bad habit to get into. Secondly, I don't even know who half these characters are. People got a bunch of leaks after one of our producers got phished, but those documents stolen were divorced from context- they contained a lot of information that was an idea someone had for, like, an hour or a couple of days. Things change a lot more in production than I think most people outside of the industry are aware of.

I will let you know that the little text chunk about "Ioverth's Curse" is an inside joke, not missing content.

Do NDA's have expiration dates? :P

Thanks for the reply, and I appreciate the fact that you took a look at them, even if you can't answer. Respect, Witcher.

I do wish that things had turned out differently for that chunk of the plot. It sounded really interesting.

Was the inside joke referring to the patches for the quests with Roche, the reason being that they were so buggy was because they were "cursed" by Iorveth?

TenaciousD fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Feb 6, 2017

TenaciousD
Feb 4, 2017

Pyromancer posted:

Should have put something in Devil's Pit then, that's the most obvious cut in all of the game. People come there, clear out the bandits and then stare at the caves below through grating and locked door, trying to figure out what's that all about, but it's nothing.

Pretty sure that they planned to.

Also this.

TenaciousD fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Feb 6, 2017

TenaciousD
Feb 4, 2017

Arcsquad12 posted:

http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/2223/
Brings Triss's field outfit from Witcher 2 back.

Yes! I think the W2 one is a lot better than the one in W3 (I'm sorry if anyone who worked on her W3 model reads this). It's not like it's terrible, my only real gripe with the W3 outfit is that her chest is exposed. A bit odd since Lambert even mentions what happened at Sodden. Obviously, the burn marks aren't visible, but I think the psychological damage is still there.

Now if only we could get the face from the SoD trailer.

Shani is the best redhead though.

TenaciousD fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 6, 2017

TenaciousD
Feb 4, 2017

Octy posted:

^ Just started my first play of Witcher 2. What mods do I need to make it more playable and help me to ignore the fact it's not as awesome as Witcher 3?

None.

I personally like TW2 more than TW3 base. Although HoS is better than both of them, TW2 is a bit janky, but there's nothing wrong with the combat. Go for a sword and alchemy build, and even on Dark difficulty, you'll slay everything.

Examples (who needs Quen?):
https://gfycat.com/ThornyThunderousBlacklab
https://gfycat.com/ExhaustedChillyGnat
https://gfycat.com/BruisedWhiteEagle
Wrong sword? No problem.
https://gfycat.com/GrouchyFancyFruitbat

Also, pick the elf, then replay and pick the soldier. I'm biased, but Vergen is so pretty, and the music there is great.

Also, the way Geralt holds his sword with both hands is badass.

TenaciousD fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Feb 7, 2017

TenaciousD
Feb 4, 2017

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah i didn't bother with any mods, base game works just fine especially as you level up and start bulldozing every enemy they send at you.

It's a lot of fun. Pro tip: Just invest in the extended roll early on. It makes life a lot easier.

I also really like TW2's launch trailers. Masterclass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNAsFBjP_7w

Imagine a world where Hedningarna did the music for TW3. :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJwYp0vfTuE

TenaciousD
Feb 4, 2017

Palpek posted:

That should have been the alternative outfit DLC.

I always thought they were going to, seeing as the outfit is lying on the floor of her house. I thought Geralt would pick it her and bring it to her.

Fuzz posted:

Yeah, the level of detail and such makes it not look out of place, surprisingly. Added it into my mod list.

Overall, TW2 had great texture work, very detailed. Graphically, the game still looks gorgeous, and in some areas has better lighting than W3. Granted, the levels are a fraction of the size.

I wish someone would port Letho's face from TW2 into TW3. I can't pinpoint what it is, but something with him and Roche looks wrong.

TenaciousD
Feb 4, 2017
I was playing the Gwent standalone, and the troll at the shop dropped this great solo:

"Po-po-po-pokie rock, pokie rock."

Between this, and pam pam param, someone at CDPR is a massive Lady Gaga fan.

TenaciousD
Feb 4, 2017

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Supposedly in the game there are more monsters about because the war stirred them up/gave them food.

I'd imagine that there are even more monsters now, considering what happens at the end of the game. Monster hunting would be a lucrative business in Skellige at least.

SirSamVimes posted:

In the first game, in fact.

Technically true, but the Salamander attack in TW1 did very little. The real damage had been done centries before.

After a horde a fanatics insighted violence against the witchers, a mob attacked Kaer Morhen. The only survivor was Vesemir. He hid under the bodies of his fellow dead witchers, IIRC. When the wolf school Witchers who were on the Path later returned and saw the devastation, well... the relationship between common folk and Witchers was never the same.

Pretty sure you do some ghost-lamp quests at Kaer Morhen in TW3 that retell that story as well.

IIRC, those same fanatics recount the events in Monstrum: A portrayal of Witchers. drat propaganda.

TenaciousD fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 9, 2017

TenaciousD
Feb 4, 2017

Octy posted:

So did they encounter a bunch of untrained witchers or are people like Geralt and Vesemir just exceptionally good at fighting and the average witcher is nothing special?

I think it was something like 20 "proper" witchers and 40 trainees.

I'm pretty sure that the witchers put up a fight, but unlike in the games, witchers in the books aren't unstoppable. If you outnumber them significantly, there's only so much they can do.

Plus, if you attack their fortress with trebuchets and catapults, killing whole rooms of them with debris, that's pretty effective.

Vesemir is really old and experienced (although he refuses to say how old) and he was the swordmaster at the time, the guy who trained the young witchers in swordsmanship, so yeah, I'd say that their power levels are pretty high. Plus, Geralt has had unique mutagens applied to him, which is the reason his hair is white, and his mother, Visenna, was a mage. He could have probably been a powerful sorcerer if he hadn't been a witcher.

Jerusalem posted:

Imlerith: Pffft, I bet I could take 'em

Man, I disliked that part of the game so much. Vesemir could have taken Imlerith in his sleep. How the hell is Imlerith strong enough to pin him to a wall? He could have just casted aard. The only reason they had to kill him was to move the plot along. drat it Ciri, you should have stayed in Brokilon. What a lame death for a great character.

TenaciousD fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Feb 9, 2017

TenaciousD
Feb 4, 2017

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Nah it was a huge mob of peasants with mages helping them.

Edited my post, thanks.

Peasants > Witchers :P

First Kaer Morhen, then Geralt gets stabbed with a pitchfork. Guess they never learn.

TenaciousD
Feb 4, 2017

DoctorGonzo posted:

I think Visenna was a sorceress and not a mage? Its a great that part un the books when they meet again. Also my interpretation is that the comitmen required to be an elite sorceress is the main reason that explain sorceress infertility more than biological reasons. Could you imagine Philippa having childrens? Yikes.

Yen best mom.

*druid, healer and sorceress according to the wiki. Urh, semantics, you know what I mean. :P

But Philippa would be a great mom.

Just look how at she brought up Radovid.

Committing Regicide is the best sign of maternal love.

A pity all the nuance of their relationship was lost when they turned him into a lunatic who talks to chess pieces.

TenaciousD fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Feb 9, 2017

TenaciousD
Feb 4, 2017
Spoilers obviously, not going to tag the whole post.

SirSamVimes posted:

Uhhhh no, he definitely couldn't have. Imlerith is insanely strong.

Vesemir owns Imlerith. He parries his blows and shoves him to the ground. He could have killed him right then with a stab to the face, but runs after Eredin. Vesemir then slashes him, but gets blindsided by Imlerith as he pushes Ciri away.

In a 1:1 fight, Vesemir would take Imlerith. Pretty sure that Vesemir could even take Geralt. He is the swordmaster for a reason.

Jerusalem posted:

They did need to sell the impact of the Wild Hunt though - they're talked up as a near unstoppable force but Geralt has been able to clown them at most every step, so seeing somebody so close to them actually fall at their hands does work rather well to personalize the threat beyond the (still effective) concerns for Ciri. Also, it does make the "Who taught you to fight like this?" "THE WITCHER YOU SLEW! :flame:" moment pretty loving amazing :hellyeah:

I'm aware of why they did it. Having your main character fail gives them humanity. It's like all those old Jackie Chan movies. Would his character in those be half as interesting if he wasn't getting hurt himself all the time? It doesn't mean that it was handled as well as it could have been though.

Killing Vesemir, in that way, was the easy way out. You could replace Vesemir with any of the other characters that have a strong relationship with Ciri, and the scene would play out almost identically.

If the game had had some actual Wild Hunt content, it could have been handled differently. I'm not against Vesemir dying, someone probably had to. I'm against the way it was handled. As it stands though, and if I eliminate all my book knowledge, the Hunt, compared to Jacques or Letho, are incredibly one-sided. The game never presents them as a serious threat, even at KM, things were going well until the Deus Ex Machina, that is the White Frost.

Speaking of Imlerith, I feel like he actually has a greater screen presence than Eredin, which is just wrong.

TenaciousD fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 9, 2017

TenaciousD
Feb 4, 2017
There were also a couple of plot threads that also never got resolved, like what the Hunt was doing with the people they abducted in TW2. It must have been something more than just slave labour. Or what Geralt actually did when he was a Red Rider. I have a feeling that Eredin was meant to jog his memory, but we never ended up getting a scene like that. In the game he gives up trying to remember.

I would have liked to see them do a lot more with Eredin. The guy has a personally, I mean, he killed his King by giving him aphrodisiacs that were too strong. A "normal" person would just poison him, but no, Eredin gives him a boner and a heart attack. He also looked drat intimidating in the W2 flashbacks.

If the Hunt's magic in TW3 is from harnessing the White Frost, err... why can't they just harness it and remove it from their planet. I never understood the difference.

2house2fly posted:

Eredin has less dialogue in the actual game than he did in the trailer I watched, and his dialogue in the trailer was better. wtf

Eredin actually has more dialogue in TW1 than TW3, and his TW3 trailer dialogue is almost as long as the 12 one-liners he pops in the final game. Not to mention the fact that they got Steven Hartley to voice him. He's a legend. That couldn't have been cheap for what ended up being a cameo role.

TenaciousD fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 10, 2017

TenaciousD
Feb 4, 2017

Drifter posted:

What? I thought the vampire route was just you and the orphanage and then the awesome cave. Everything else was kinda revealed after both storylines. The ancient vampire in the cave was pretty dope, I don't think he fell in love with anyone?

The best part is that if you go back to the cave after the man quest is done, he just straight up kills you.

TenaciousD
Feb 4, 2017
Seems like this is the month where W2 assets are being ported to W3.

Vesemir's face is nightmare fuel though. Then again, it's probably more "lore friendly".

TenaciousD
Feb 4, 2017

Drifter posted:

There really aren't any big QOL mods for witcher 2. If there's a combat mod, don't use it.

Witcher 2 is a far more linear game than W3, so you don't need any HUD stuff, nor do you need jump in water mods or anything like that. The combat's a little different, so it'll take a bit to get used to it.

Some people suggest a zero weight mod (actually, this is pretty good) or a medallion cooldown mod, but eh. Vanilla Witcher 2 is more than fine.

Just be careful when playing Dice to not overthrow. The dice game is kinda neat, but badly implemented at the edges.

There's a mod that hides the HUD when out of combat, just like Friendly HUD for W3. There's also a mod that removes the Dark Mode effects on the screen when using those armours.

Shameless plug, I also made a mod that allows you to buy mutagens from Bras of Ban Ard in Loc Muinne. That's pretty handy if you do a mutagen-alchemy and sword build. I also think that the Kingslayers armour looks rubbish, so I made a mod that replaces the textures with the Oathbreaker set. Oathbreaker is so badass, it sucks that they didn't let you import it into W3. Although there is a mod that adds W2 armours to W3.

bef posted:

Yeah I did my only w2 run with the dev combat mod on highest difficulty and it was pretty fun :shrug:

Fuzz posted:

This is arguable. CDPR put out an official combat rebalance mod that makes it very similar to Witcher 3, though actually better in my opinion.

I love W2 combat and have never used this. What major things does it fix / imporve? IIRC, it replaces the roll with the awesome looking pirouette.

I also heard that it was super buggy and broke some characters faces, like Phillippa.

----------------

Anyone know if this is real or fake? Links to 3 images as well. Early builds of W3 did have Geralt in the Oathbreaker armour, and it kind of looks like one of CDPR's meeting rooms shown in this video.

I can't make up my mind. He has a beard, but those are definitely W2 animations. It looks like Kaer Morhen, their armour is reflecting light, and the shadows are casting properly, but the background seems static. Could be a well done fake?

TenaciousD fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Feb 13, 2017

TenaciousD
Feb 4, 2017

Drifter posted:

I'd heard of the mod that replaces Roche and Ves with Iorveth and Saskia.
There's lots of stuff out there.
http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/2066/

Check the date of the video though. 7 months before that mod was released.

There's also no scene in the game where Roche and Geralt are running like that in Kaer Morhen, meaning you couldn't replace the models even if you wanted to. The lighting is also completely different to what's in the final game.

Here is what that area looks like in the final game. Layout wise, it's pretty close to what's in that video.

If it is real, I'm still not convinced, why leak that of all things. Odd.

TenaciousD fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Feb 14, 2017

TenaciousD
Feb 4, 2017

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Even if it's real, it's like... okay a dude involved with a game's pre-release version released some footage of Iorveth's model in the game? Big deal?

That's what I'm saying. It's silly. If it's real, why leak that, it serves absolutely no purpose. 0/10.

sebmojo posted:

Comte, is it accidental that Gaunter kills that rando with a long spoon?

Pretty sure it's intentional. The whole Faust / Pan Twardowski thing; making a pact with the devil and whatnot.

TenaciousD
Feb 4, 2017

twistedmentat posted:

Why couldn't the game have Roach always be a sassy, talking horse? or maybe Geralt just needs to trip balls the whole time.

The thing that gets me about that quest:

Is just as it ends, and the shrooms are waning, there's a shot where Geralt looks incredibly sad. He hangs his head, climbs on Roach and rides off. It's probably the most honest sorrow that he could have felt. He names every horse Roach, and he went through a lot of them throughout his life. Naming each horse Roach isn't because he's lazy, but it's more about pretending that he's a constant, long lived companion. Roach doesn't complain, doesn't demand, and is just as stoic as Geralt himself. Being able to understand and talk to Roach is a dream come true to a lonely man. Like a child being able to talk to their favourite teddy bear.

Then it gets taken away.

Great quest Comte. Hope stuff like that is in Cyperpunk. :P I think old man Geralt gets a lot more of those shrooms, and instead of talking philosophy with Zoltan, he does it with Roach.

Bust Rodd posted:

Before I get my hopes up, is this something I can redeem on Steam? Or will I need a new, non-Steam Witcher 3 to use this?

GOG is completely separate. Won't work with the Steam version.

TenaciousD fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 15, 2017

TenaciousD
Feb 4, 2017
Someone is working on adding back the E3 combat animations. Looks promising so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShW_DySqhok

There's also one that's adding back the two handed animations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scF3Ivo-rL8

Although there were a lot of changes from the earlier demos to the final game, the one that irked me the most was the change they made to the speed of the combat shown in the earlier trailers. Geralt moved so quickly. It looked really cool, just like the books. That, and whatever global water system that were using which allowed for boats, whether they be massive ships or rickety dinghies, and all sign and bloods effects to react to the water was really unique. Never seen a game try a system like that.

TenaciousD
Feb 4, 2017

Drifter posted:

What's the difference between this modded dodge and the normal current dodge? I can't really tell.

To me, I thought it was pretty obvious. It's subtle but different than vanilla. The quick dodge is similar, although faster and the way they chain together has changed. He's also removed the roll and seems to have replaced it with something similar to the quick dodge, but with a longer range. You can see it at 0:56.

He's also sped up the pirouette attack Geralt does when he's far away from an enemy. In game it can take forever, and you can get rekt while you're stuck in that animation. Now it happens very quickly.

The two handed mod is out now. All of the combat animations have Geralt holding his sword with both hands, I never understand why they changed the default animation to him having one hand off the sword. That mod combined with the dodge mod should be really good.

TenaciousD fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Feb 17, 2017

TenaciousD
Feb 4, 2017
Hey Comte, not sure if you can answer this one, but you mentioned that a plague would have been ravaging the South for the big questline that involved Iorveth, Roche, Ves ect.

In Iorveth's path in TW2, if you do the quest with Cynthia, you come across Dearhenna's Journal, which details the plague used against the Vran's. Cynthia takes it back to Emhyr if you let her. I assuming that this is how the plague would have started? Highly ironic if it was all Emhyr's fault.

quote:

The journal excerpts Geralt found indicated the Dearhanna was not interesting in Loc Muinne's past per se, but in the Vran race that built the city and in the mystery of their extinction. The witcher quickly realised the Nilfgaardians were interested in the same, and not because they had a passion for history. Whatever had killed the Vrans could very well be useful to the Emperor as a weapon. Believing Emhyr capable of genocide, the witcher grew wary.

TenaciousD
Feb 4, 2017
Gilthoniel on YouTube has been releasing parts of the Polish audiobooks with Eng subs from the official translations. It's drat good. You're really missing out if you haven't read or listened to the book stories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siNrtdQHNWY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOKkMFJPf6I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrI5C7kucH0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKxJ1_TjcMk

Fun fact: Krzysztof Banaszyk, who voices Roche in the games, voices Geralt in the audiobooks.

TenaciousD fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 20, 2017

TenaciousD
Feb 4, 2017

Helith posted:

I always thought that the Empress ending was the ending that was the best for the state of the world, especially when combined with Queen Cerys in Skellige. Between them all the North, Nilfgaard and Skellige is ruled by intelligent and enlightened women.
I can imagine, because Ciri has lived the life of 'common people', has seen how peasants live and is pretty down to earth herself, that she would strive to make life better for those in her empire. Plus I bet persecution of mages would stop and as Ciri rules it all there would be no need for wars. Plus I bet Witchers would get more respect.
I know it's not what Ciri personally wanted to do, but I reckon she could kick off a golden age.

Ciri is only one person. She can't change the mind of everyone. Peasants would still fear witchers, and they'll still go extinct one day. Kovir is still independent and ruled by the Thyssen's. Although they seem to be of sound mind.

Mages were only being persecuted in the Northern Realms because the Lodge's role in the assassination of Demavend, Foltest and (or not) Henselt. Technically it was Nilfgaard playing them, but it was still the Lodge who set in motion the events that allowed Nilfgaard to invade. Mages in Nilfgaard under Emhyr were kept on a short leash, but it was nothing like the witch hunts that were happening in TW3.

I'd imagine Ciri still having certain domestic issues. Nilfgaard would still practice slavery, and I don't think Ciri could do much about that. The elves would really like her though, so at least guys like Iorveth could finally catch a break. Having someone on the throne who has elven blood would most likely cause the disbandment of the Scoia'tael, and maybe Dol Blathanna might actually work if the elven young return there and get busy.

TenaciousD
Feb 4, 2017

Senjuro posted:

Wow, even without speaking Polish it sounds so drat good when each character has it's own appropriate actor instead of one guy reading everything. Now I'm sad there's no English version with the game's cast.

You should play the games in Polish with eng subs. There's not much difference in the main text, but peasants often have different lines. Also the Polish VA can be super sexy at times. Some characters are better in English IMO, like Dethmold, Iorveth and the Bloody Baron.

Just saying, if they ever did English audiobook versions, some characters could use a new casting.

Cough, Triss and Dandelion. They should have just called him Jaskier, that sounds like an actual name, even if it's still meant to refer to a plant.

TenaciousD
Feb 4, 2017

bewilderment posted:

Once I started Hearts of Stone and ran into fights where you have like 10 knights at a time with ridiculous HP/damage resistance but they get finished off in one click like everything else when Aarded successfully, I just started dumping all my points into Aard.

This decision was rewarded in Blood and Wine with the extra mutations.

Could have also chugged some potions, chunked a Northern Wind and whirled/rended them into pieces. Always more than one option.

Something I noticed the other day is that if you freeze and enemy with Northern Wind, and kill them in one hit, like with Rend, they explode and shatter in a bloody mess. It's brutal, and I'm pretty sure that never happened when the game launched.

TenaciousD
Feb 4, 2017
Some mod suggestions:

Ghost mode. One of the best rebalancing mods out there. Busy using it now. Requires a new game to work properly though. Made by the same person who did Friendly HUD
Nitpicker's Patch. Fixes nagging visual issues.
Toxicity - Clean Face and Screen. Does what it says. No more zombie Geralt and green VFX effect when you overdose.
Witcher Book Collection. Restores a bunch of text that was hidden for seemingly no reason. Additional books / notes for quests, misc text ect. It's good stuff. Is included in Ghost Mode. Also fixes Thaler's monocle in the Frying pan quest. Looks dope.
Both hands on Sword. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) It just looks cool.
Triss DLC Hair & TW2 Triss Is nice.

E3 Dodge mod - when completed. Should be out this week.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqDOIAKrmbE

TenaciousD
Feb 4, 2017
One of the things I don't like about the Empress ending is that Ciri will most likely have to marry Voorhis.

I'd love to know what happened to fake Ciri, and how Emhyr explains that to his subjects. "No really, she's the real one this time. Also, she's my daughter." *whistling*.

TenaciousD
Feb 4, 2017

Pyromancer posted:

He executed all conspirators in that ending, the remaining subjects probably wouldn't dare question anything.

I like this, but it still doesn't explain what happened to her though. There was a theory that part of Emhyr's domestic issues that he's having in TW3 was because people found out that Fake Ciri was indeed, fake. There's nothing in the game to support that, but you can kind of retcon it that way.

Jack2142 posted:

That entire plot was weird and creepy and dropping it was good.

Imagine bringing Ciri to Emhyr, only to see Fake Ciri all lovey-dovey next to him. Talk about awkward.

I think that they had planned to use her originally, in some form though. She's mentioned in a letter in TW2, she's in one piece of Skellige ending concept art and she's in the Gwent game. Most likely changed their minds for the reasons you mentioned. Granted, almost everything with Emhyr in the books is strange. There's no mention of that other perverse idea he has in the books either.

Still, jut like a lot of other catchphrases, they could have just left a letter or a codex entry or something. Would still like to know what happened to Anias and Adda. I really hope that Radovid didn't off them.

TenaciousD fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Feb 22, 2017

TenaciousD
Feb 4, 2017

Cowcaster posted:

Will it tell me what sidequests I should do before I get on with it? Because I think "All of them" is kind of a tall order at this point but I could probably stomach "All of the ones I've outleveled"

All the Brother in Arms ones.
Cabaret
Redania's Most Wanted questline

Might be more, I can't remember,

TenaciousD
Feb 4, 2017

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

There actually is. There's a letter to Yen on the desk from Fringilla (or maybe it was Francesca?) when you meet her at Vizima for the first time. It mentions that Emhyr seems to have given up on the idea.

Forgot about that. Indeed, it's from Fringilla.

TenaciousD
Feb 4, 2017
If you say the words "I love you" to either Triss or Yen, you're committed.

It's was originally possible to bang Triss, by selecting "Stay with me" and then "Let's try again" and then later fully lock in the romance with Yen, to have Geralt end up with Yen, but they fixed it in a patch 1.5 I think.'

Who cares about either though, Shani is the best.

Also, some animators spent way too much time working on that scene in the boat. :P

TenaciousD fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 23, 2017

TenaciousD
Feb 4, 2017

Ainsley McTree posted:

That scene was surprisingly graphic! If I weren't playing on console I'd have thought I accidentally downloaded a nexus mod or something

I think the one with Triss in TW2 takes that cake, but Shani's is a close second. Except for Shani's, all the other ones in TW3 are fairly tame. I wonder if they were afraid of backlash, or if they just wanted them to be like that. Even in the expansions, you get one like Shani's, and then you get Syanna's, who has Bioware Syndrome going on. I'm probably looking too far into this.

I'd love to know how they write them. Obviously, they do mo-cap for parts of the scene, but are the scripts "professionally written", more casual like, or do they kind of just wing it?

"Okay good job, now we need you to kiss her nipples, Marcin. Just do it, do it now."
"Err, those aren't her nipples, Marcin. Sigh... can we get a replacement, please!"

Apparently members of the team do the mo-cap for them, I remember Damien Monnier saying the he did one of the sex scenes. That's got to be awkward, unless you're in a relationship with the other person. Or maybe they have both mocappers be the same gender? Actually, that would probably be worse.

TenaciousD fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Feb 24, 2017

TenaciousD
Feb 4, 2017
E3 dodge mod is out. Yes!

I'm liking it a lot. Still needs some refinement, but I was one of those who hated the roll, and this fixes that.

Still not as cool as W2's pirouette dodge mod though. That never got old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenaciousD
Feb 4, 2017
Isn't the cat a reference to Marcin Blacha's, the lead story bloke. IIRC, his cat passed away while they were making W3.

Could also be related to the fact that in the books, Ciri sometimes sees what is happening to Geralt through the eyes of a cat.

Could also just be there to mess with the players.

--------

Anyone seen this?

Pure sex.

TenaciousD fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Feb 28, 2017