Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
Game seems great so far.

But how long has it been since Witcher 2 and what has Geralt been doing? Because W2 ends with Triss and Geralt being like "we're gonna go find Yennifer and Ciri now" but this one starts with Geralt and Vesemir hanging out killing monsters for at least 6 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Feenix posted:

Just bested the Gr[spoiler[iffin[/spoiler] At some point I gather I leave this map... will I ever be able to come back? There's a lot of things I could still do here...

also:

Oh no!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7kcqjQsAvo

It fails the secondary quests (there are 5, I think?) but you can come back and run around if you want.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Ciaphas posted:

Feels like the game is very console-designed, UI wise. Should I go dig out my 360 controller again?

Nah, the UI just sucks. The combat definitely feels better with a controller to me though.

They really need to relax the falling damage. It's kind of absurd.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Calaveron posted:

The Griffin gear set hunt is level 11 goddammit don't make me fight a level 14 wyvern to get it :qq:

What's the deal with this series' planet? Why come the sun is shining bright at like, 3 AM?

Dude, they tell you a million times they are in the north. Ever been to Stockholm in the summer?

I have a question: I can't tell how the game replenishes alchemy items. Does it use one alcohol to restock everything? One per item? Do bombs, oils, etc, also use alcohol?

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
I think the XP bug is related to grey quests, but not in the way it was described before.

Big quests (like the story ones) have several steps and sub quests. For me, if any sub quest is grey, I don't get any XP for any part of the overall quest.

For example, Family Matters is level 6. As part if it you have to find the goat (don't remember the name of that quest, but it's level 5) and that sub-quest is level 5. So I got nothing for that quest as expected, but also got nothing for Family Matters.

It's an amazing game, but letting that get into the wild is really inexcusable.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Manatee Cannon posted:

Loot is completely random. Don't worry about set quest rewards because crafted weapons and armor will always, always be better. Those are set in stone and it doesn't matter when you find them.

There are some chests with fixed items but I think it's mostly sort of a scaled random thing.

But it seems like stuff you can craft is better than anything you'll find anyway. Unless loot scales up to like level 50.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Where in Novigrad is this inn?

It's in the Bits from what I recall. The the main island has the slummy area on the eastern side. It's there, wander around until the flagon appears and you can get into the building (the entrance is kind of towards the north and west side of that building, I think).

I just discovered that Alternate Quen basically makes you unbeatable. Holy poo poo is that powerful.

Is there a list of everyone that will play Gwent with you? Not the quest people but the normal merchants? Because I'm missing like 2 cards and I can't find people I haven't already beaten. I want the dragon, dammit.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
Somewhere I read that witches were only created like 200-300 years ago. That seems suspiciously short considering Geralt is like 100 and isn't considered old. That means Vesemir is either one of the first generation or close to it since he's like 200+ years old from what I recall.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
I thought the real story of Cinderella he tells to Keira and her response were great though.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
After thinking about it a bit, I think Yennifer works waaaay better as a character in the books than the games. It's not that they wrote her poorly by any means. But the game is so based on player choice and she's, well, kind of awful (she's exactly the same way in the books), and you can't really call her out on any of her poo poo.

It's a hard position to be in if you are making the game because their relationship has already developed and the game can't show it. Then you have an immediate contrast with Triss - the worst thing she's done is swoop in on Geralt - and she's actually trying to help people.

The Last Wish quest can have an interesting conclusion Yennifer breaking the spell, realizing she's still in love with Geralt and you taking the option of "Well, actually I don't love you anymore" is probably one of the few times she's had to deal with the consequences of her actions.

They do a great job with Geralt and Ciri's relationship though.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Ugato posted:

Re: Triss and Yennefer.

I'm one of those players people keep referring to. I played the first witcher when it first came out, liked nothing about it and haven't touched it since. This one intrigued me and I'm glad to have bought it.

I know a bit about everything just from podcasts, friends and generally absorbing things but I haven't experienced any of it firsthand. I'm in the middle of Triss' quests in Novingrad currently and yes absolutely I would chose her 10 of 10 times over Yen.

The first time I saw her was a dream where Geralt and Yen are obviously a couple but aside from each other's familiarity with each other being naked, what I've heard from friends and the not so subtle conversations they have about it, there isn't really any evidence of their relationship - they don't really even seem to like each other. Reminds me more of an old married couple. Then you finally catch up with her and find out she's working for the medieval nazis or whatever they're supposed to be though probably the most annoying part was when you talk about each other. Geralt apologizes for Triss because he had amnesia and her response is "so is that your excuse?" Maybe I'm just missing the dry British humor in that one but she also seemed just genuinely pissed. Which I can understand to a degree, but holding me responsible for not being faithful when I literally didn't even know you existed is a little much.

Perhaps it will all get better after Skellige but if I manage to get far enough to lock in my choice as to Yen or Triss, I know I'll be choosing Triss this time around. It's not that the story and scenes between the two are particularly spectacular. They're really just a bunch of small moments, but they all have a real feel to them. And it seems like Triss actually feels something for old Geralt. Can't say the same about Yen, currently.

Mostly just writing this so people can actually view that perspective from a first hand account.

I was thinking about this earlier. Yennifer works much better in the books. Gerald's kind of a pulp detective style hero and Yennifer is his femme fatale (if she were also a super powerful sorceress). All their relationship/development is done in the books and the game kind of just assumes that. Everything Yennifer does is pretty drat true to her character. But since she basically treats Geralt like poo poo I don't think it works really well in a game based on choice since you can't really call her on any of it.

It's also important (and the game really doesn't make this clear enough) is that Yennifer is supposed to be basically the most powerful sorceress in the world and she knows it. And everyone around her knows it, generally.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Manatee Cannon posted:

The books mostly paint Triss in a much poorer light than Yennefer, or even in a vacuum. She has her moments though. Honestly I wonder if Triss would have been willing to help during act 2 in the battle of Kaer Morhen if her side quest conflicted with it. She tends to put that kind of thing above Ciri, Geralt, or Yennefer's well being. Like how in the books she's complicit in Yennefer's kidnapping, or how the Lodge wants to kidnap Ciri and plant her on a throne.

I think Triss is a stronger character in the games than the books - they actually developed her a bit. In the books she's constantly being manipulated by someone. She doesn't have much of a backbone when people like Philippa lean on her. She's easily the least horrible of all the sorceresses; she basically wants to do the right thing, but is really pretty naive so people convince her that right thing is putting Ciri on a throne, etc.

She totally takes advantage of Geralt in W1 and W2 though, and it's totally in character for her to do so. I thought it made complete sense. She's loved the guy forever and can't compete with Yennifer. And Geralt doesn't really care because he's a total manwhore.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
By the standards of the setting she's a saint - she's like the only person that thinks of people other than herself once in a while. Literally no one else would do what she's doing in Novigrad - they'd all sell each other out like Keira plans to. Who does she murder? I guess you can say she rapes Geralt, but the dude sleeps with everyone all the time (even in the books).

Spite fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jun 7, 2015

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
Yeah, they really should have put the Yennifer quests first. It's a hard problem to solve because they have to stay true to her character, which they really do.

And I totally believe that Yennifer wouldn't believe that Geralt actually had amnesia. They don't really go into this in the game but in the books I recall Geralt being very immune/resistant to any sort of mental effects. And he's lied before (plus she's mad at Triss and taking it out on Geralt). Yennifer doesn't handle not getting her way very well at all.

When I mentioned Triss was a saint I was pretty unclear - I meant in reference to what she's doing in W3. I doubt any of the other sorceresses would risk themselves to help people escape Novigrad. But the games really push Triss toward being a more clear-cut "good person" than she is in the books do, if that makes sense.

I think if the assassinations of W2 happened in the books Philippa would have told Triss to go along with it and convinced her it was the best course of action. And she would have believed her until Yennifer/Geralt stopped it. And they probably would have tried to install Ciri on a throne as a puppet ruler (which they wanted to do anyway from what I remember).

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

ImpAtom posted:

Nah. A lot more Witcher 2 stuff is referenced compared to Witcher 1 in 3 and W2 is relatively self-contained. (Insomuch as it is a spinoff of existing novels and has an established worldsetting.)

No, she really isn't. She's snarky at Geralt but Geralt is snarky to half the known world, including his friends.

Nah, I think she's pretty nasty. I mean, she insults everyone to their face, steals weird artifacts and uses them without regard for the cataclysm they may cause, defiles gardens, etc. It goes beyond snark - she really doesn't give a gently caress about anyone but herself, Ciri and Geralt. It's a pretty abusive relationship, really.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

She's willing to do things with potentially terrible consequences in order to save a family member. I think this describes a lot of people in the real world, terrible as it may be. I also assume magic users are kind of used to skirting the line when it comes to dangerous stuff. You also gotta remember how important ciri is in terms of the prophecy. Doing risky stuff to save her might be worth it.

Well, yes, in this case she's doing terrible things because she wants to get her daughter back. But in general she's willing to do any terrible thing just to get her way. She doesn't care about the prophecy, really.

They should have front loaded the interactions with her.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

COOKIEMONSTER posted:

This whole debate between Yennifer and Triss is stupid. Yennifer has twice as many sex scenes you guys. TWICE AS MANY. you get to see like, so many more shots of her butt.

Plus Yennifer likes Geralt's beard and is into weird unicorn sex. And I believe they have sex while she is levitating them over a city in the books. I don't remember all the details.

Though she is a hunchback in real life, where Triss is just horribly scarred.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Automatic Slim posted:

Say what now?

All (most?) of the sorceresses are old crones that have made themselves unnaturally beautiful. I think it's actually in The Last Wish short story that Geralt realizes she's a hunchback.

I don't recall if Triss is a crone but she gets horribly burned in a battle.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Crigit posted:

She has the chance for some genuine authority, but she doesn't really strike me as the devious sort. Being a teleporter of unprecedented skill and a badass swordswoman gives her a leg up, but frankly it's probably only a matter of time before she winds up with a knife in her back, or enslaved by Philippa, like what happened to Saskia. Taking the throne makes her a gigantic target, and not having the colonial forces of the Aen Elle breathing down her neck at every turn doesn't really make her that much safer. Not that she couldn't or shouldn't take the throne, just that if keeping herself and her loved ones safe is high on her list of priorities, becoming the most important political figure in the world is a terrible idea.

from a bit ago, but

Ciri's super powerful and her mother figure is one of the must cunning and powerful people in the world. The ending where Yennifer retires from politics makes no sense given her character, especially if Ciri becomes empress. That would be like Yen's dream job. She gets to be with the only two people she cares about AND rule the world.

Philippa trying to become advisor never made sense to me - I don't see any way Geralt or Yennifer would let her get that close to Ciri. Or that Ciri would trust her at all, since Ciri knows exactly how awful she is.

Of course, given the books I don't think Emhyr would ever leave the throne to her just like that anyway. They just drop the whole "I want my daughter to give birth to my son" thing completely in the game. Do they even mention it? I remember an obtuse reference in a letter from Yennifer, but nothing else.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Crigit posted:

Emhyr chat

He murdered her mother, burned her homeland to the ground and butchered everyone she'd ever known including the grandmother who raised her, then tried to have her kidnapped so he could force her to marry him and bear a child for him. Even though he ultimately backed off the incest plan, Ciri has ample reason to want him dead, let alone establish any kind of relationship with him. Emhyr is a pretty bad guy.

As far as being safe from Philippa, Philippa was able to enslave a centuries or millenia old gold dragon, one of the smartest and most powerful creatures in the world. Ciri might be able to stand up to her, but she wouldn't for a second be safe from Philippa's less verbal manipulations. Having no eyes and no backup with the lodge broken ties her hands somewhat, but Philippa's a pretty terrifying figure.

About Philippa:
Saskia? She's pretty naive. Ciri's shown to be smart and tough. Plus Philippa has been attempting to use her for her entire life and she's aware of it. But if it were happening in the books I think she'd keep Geralt and Yen around for insurance (it would never have happened in the books).

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

pik_d posted:

For me it was at the Baron's place, not Oreton.

Edit: Also I've just started reading the books, and holy poo poo Geralt and Yen are awful to each other. Everything so far ends "and then they lived unhappily never after". I now understand all the snide comments in the game even when I choose the nicest options.

Yup, pretty much. Though they do get better as it goes on.

While reading the books I started thinking about them as a hardboiled detective and a femme fatale. The relationship is pulpy as gently caress. (though Yen does more than seduce people to get what she wants)

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
I've come to the conclusion I wish there was no minimap and that there was a compass overlay like Batman or the Elder Scrolls games. And all games like this really need an in-game breadcrumb trail for directions.

I spend an embarrassing amount of time looking at the minimap while heading towards a marker.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
Yennifer is an awful person, that's kind of the point. She cares about 3 things: herself, Geralt and Ciri. It's more than sassy - she's super powerful, knows it, and tells everyone that can't actually threaten her to gently caress off. (Emhyr is probably the only person in the setting she's scared of at this point)

I do think she works better in the books than the games. If you are choosing Geralt's responses humoring her makes less sense when you can kill dozens of guys single handedly without a scratch. Geralt's not nearly as much of a killing machine in the books. And their relationship is the pulpy, swashbuckling fiery-desire type of thing.

I think having Triss take advantage of Geralt's amnesia added a lot to her character, myself.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

l33t b4c0n posted:

I fell squarely into the camp of liking Triss more, until earlier in this thread someone pointed out this exact plot point. EVERYTHING Triss does is actually super manipulative, but it's so subtle that it feels like genuine affection. It REALLY changed my perspective of Triss. Someone earlier pointed out that in The Witcher 2, the Rose of Remembrance is used by Philippa to control Saskia. Triss was given a rose by Geralt - what exactly did she plan to do with it?

Yeah, but at least it turns a character whose primary motivation is I LOVE GERALT SO MUCH into someone that feels way more human than the normal hot female love interest. And I'd say it's not subtle at all.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
I thought Yennifer only teleports you if you dump her and are banging Triss. Which is perfectly in character for her because she doesn't react well in the books when she doesn't get her way.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
Go into the books expecting a fun pulpy fantasy series that plays on lots of fairytales and myths and you'll enjoy them.

Blood of the Elves is the first book, yeah. Also, not a whole lot actually happens in it from what I recall (it's been a few years). Also: Yen is always pissed at Geralt.

On the rulers:
Radovid is crazy, super paranoid and completely ruthless.
In the books, Emhyr wants to have a kid with Ciri because her child is supposed to rule the world/universe/everything. The game basically drops this completely - which is really weird since it's kind of a major plot point.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Kaedric posted:

Keep in mind Triss explicitly abuses Geralt's amnesia to get with him. It's not just like "Oh he forgot Yen, maybe he will like me now!" it's straight up "oh when someone mentions he was with a sorceress before the amnesia, I will act like it was me", and tricking him.

Also (though this part is simply conjecture) don't forget that the spell Phillipa casts on Saskia uses a rose of rememberance, and it wasn't just straight mind control. The spell was described as making Saskia love Phillipa more than anything else in the world. Triss ostensibly wanted to use the rose to restore Geralt's memories (which he got back just fine without), but could have had a more... sinister purpose?

Anyway Yen rules triss drools peace out

Fun fact: Triss actually drugged Geralt to sleep with him in the books. But it didn't last very long because mind control doesn't really work on him.

I think Yen says he's the hardest person to mind control she's ever met or something along those lines in one of the books, and she's extremely powerful powerful. It's also why Yen gets mad if you pick the amnesia excuses - she assumed it would wear off super fast.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I also think it's interesting how players experience their own actions as different than the same action taken by NPCs. I was watching a guy doing a Let's Play and he stopped to read the notice next to some scrub who got executed by the Nilfgaardians, "...for desertion." The player sighed and said, "Man, that's so harsh... I mean, I get it, it's a war... but, man."

He says this as he cuts his way though a group of hostile NPCs labeled "Deserter". NPCs he could have easily avoided, but they are worth XP and sometimes they drop chicken sandwiches.

Your DLC quest with the witcher is a really good example of this.

You can kill the Cat school witcher for slaughtering the village. But you do that poo poo all the time when you are playing the game - and if there was some quest where some peasants jumped you and stabbed you in the back you'd have killed them all too. I had to let him go once I thought about that.

Also, yes, Yen is a selfish person. That's been true of the character forever. But she does legitimately love Geralt and Ciri. She works better as a primary love interest in the books, I think. In the game you're like "I'm an invincible death machine that has tons of women falling all over me everywhere, why would I take your poo poo?" In the books Geralt is much more vulnerable. Sure he can take on like 3 normal dudes no problem,. but if he's gonna go fight a monster he has to seriously prepare, use potions, meditate, etc. He's not a superhero. Still kind of a sex machine though.

Also people are burning mages because of the ones like Philippa, not Yennifer.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Snak posted:

Not only Had it happened before, his attitude was basically "yeah I hosed up again, whatever. It happens". Like he stabbed people who were running away in the back. it's not like they all were trying to fight him. He executed them.

I guess those rumors about the crazy Cat school are true.

Also because the Wild Hunt is somewhat of an analogue to the Frost Giants of Norse mythology. What with Ragh nar Roog being analogous to Ragnarok.
edit2: I looked it up, and the ship made of fingernails (and toenails) of the dead is literally from Norse mythology as well. That;s pretty awesome.

edit: And yes, the fact that we are all disagreeing about whether the different actions of various characters are justified is testament to how well this game is written. The choices aren't just posed as morally ambiguous to "trick" us, they actually are somewhat ambiguous and the game isn't really keeping score on "how evil" we are or whatever.

Well, that's not really right. The Wild Hunt are The Wild Hunt. Odin is the leader in the Wild Hunt in some myths, but it's more of a cental/eastern european thing.

The ship thing is true though - but that's conflated. There are already frost giants in the game.

One thing I don't get: the sorceresses are supposed to be political experts, advisors, etc. Yen is very smart and very blunt and doesn't mince words. I like Triss, but she's not exactly shown to be that competent. The rat thing was an obvious trap that she only survived because Geralt was there. Keira is too stupid to realize Radovid is gonna kill her. Philippa is like the most untrustworthy person in the universe. I mean, if you were a king I'd think you'd have to hire Yennifer because at least she's probably not going to try to kill you or naively get you killed. She'll just use you then abandon you.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Snak posted:

As far as I know, the "mythological" Wild Hunt was more or less invented by the Brothers Grimm in the 19th century, and the Witcher Wild hunt is basically alien orcs from space-mordor.

There are already Frost Giants in the game, but they don't occupy the same mythological space as frost giants do in Norse mythology. I just said what I did because in Ragnarok, the Frost Giants come across Bifrost and sail in the ship Naglfar, which is made of the nails of the dead, to do battle against the gods. In the Witcher, the Wild Hunt, which is associated with frost and cold, also sail in the ship Naglfar.

I'm not saying it's a 1-to-1 correspondence, but I think the frost connection is more than coincidence. I think since Frost Giants exist normally in the world of the Witcher, the Wild Hunt has usurped their place in Ragh nar Roog mythology.

Oh it's more than coincidence. But the Witcher series plays with myths and fairytales all the time. There are tons of references to things all over the books and games - I just took it as a convenient conflating of the two. The prevailing "end times" myth in the series is everything being frozen. The Hunt are actually attempting to stop that happen to their world and they bring the cold with them. But the Norse frost giants are usually kicked out of the world by the aesir, and that's not quite what's happening in the Witcher with the Hunt.

On Triss: she's not dumb, but she's not nearly as shrewd as Philippa or Yen. In the books (and games) she's manipulated by Philippa and I'd bet most of her political successes are from Phiippa using her to do poo poo. And once she has a plan she doesn't think she'll be able to rope Triss into (killing a bunch of kings) she just cuts off all contact. I get that the sorceresses can't ignore her but I have no idea why any of them would trust her. She hasn't exactly ever been subtle about her desire for a state lead by mages (or with mages in very important positions), with her basically in charge.

On Philippa: one the other hand, the people that say she did stuff to Radovid all hate her anyway. She was probably awful but she probably just tried to manipulate him his entire life.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

The Sharmat posted:

Philippa cut off all contact more because Triss was loving Geralt again and he provides competition to Philippa being her moral compass.

Triss isn't dumb by any means. She's smart. But she's also naive, highly impressionable, shallow; and as a consequence susceptible to peer pressure.

That's a good way to put it. But she's definitely grown more of a backbone by the time the games roll around. She would probably have gone against assassinating the king she was advising even if Geralt wasn't around. She's portrayed as much less "Please let me stay in the cool girls club, I'll do whatever" in the games, imo.

Do they ever explain what happened after W2 when Triss and Geralt went separate ways? There are a bunch of references to it, but I was never totally clear on what happened - other than Geralt telling her "I'm gone."

And hey, they fixed the bug where the cage key for the captured dudes doesn't spawn. I had one cage (the one near the hanged man's tree) I couldn't open and the bandits actually respawned.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Snak posted:

It cracks me up that the internet is full of people saying that hero cards are overpowered in gwent. The 15 pointers are really good, yes, but I still did't play more than 4 non-spy heroes before getting those. And one is Yennifer, because she's a medic.

Yeah, Geralt, Ciri, Yen and Avallac'h are easily the best hero cards. Otherwise I use lots of siege with the siege master ability for the North or use a bunch of medics with Nilfgaard and their archers and crap.

The lack of spies really hurts the other two decks.
The monster deck is kind of fun but scoiatel just can't compete with lots of spies.

Tries really needs Villimentreth's (or however you spell it) scorch power because she's super useless. And Regis is way too weak. It took a guy that easily beat Geralt and Yen to kill him.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

The Sharmat posted:

Yeah it's pretty great. One of the only interesting parts of TW1.

"Amnesia huh? Oh, well, there's probably nothing anyone can do. Try not to worry about it too much. Just be your own man. Don't think about what you would have done if you remembered everything."

It makes her a waaaaaay more interesting character than "Oh I'm just a powerful, beautiful sorceress that loves you more than anything." She's the weakest in 3 because she doesn't seem to get poo poo done without Geralt. They could have had a quest to rescue her from Menge only to find she freed herself, or something along those lines.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
He should have just Axii'd the gently caress out of them for the money. That's what Geralt does whenever someone mouths off to him in my game :colbert:

Though that dumbass should have known they were going to shank him as soon as they were like "oh yeah, walk into this barn, we'll be right behind you."

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

chami posted:

I remember reading that alt Igni was needed pretty hard in 1.07 -something about it not stun-locking burning targets anymore. Is that the case now?

Seems to be.

Is there ever a reason to use strong attack?
Yrden lets you get behind things and it's easy to stack crit damage. I can regularly just stay behind things that are slowed and wreck them with fast attacks. To the point where I'm wondering why I'd ever do anything else. I'm not on Death March though (the one before it, whatever the name is).

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
The skill system sucks in the end. You can only use a certain amount at once, but you will certainly have to waste points on poo poo you will never use in order to unlock other tiers. The vast majority of the skills are useless. The highest tier abilities are never worth it except for some in the alchemy tree. It doesn't feel very well designed.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
They were also dressed as villagers, no? It's been a while since I read The Last Wish.

Also worth noting he slept with their leader before he killed her and all her followers, because he's Geralt.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

The Iron Rose posted:

Don't suppose anyone has a good summary of TW1/TW2? Didn't really get into either of them but Witcher 3 looks like it's pretty fun and I already own it anyways

E: also any important mods?

How detailed do you want?

Generally you need to know that it takes place in the Northern Kingdoms who are at war with an empire named Nilfgaard. Nilfgaard's emperor, Emhyr, is the biological father to Geralt's foster daughter.
There are a group of sorceresses called The Lodge who want to ensure they are in positions of power. Most of the sorceresses are very powerful and very ruthless at achieving their goals.
Many humans are racists and horrible.
There are elven guerilla fighters called scoia'tael that want to rebuild their culture and/or kill humans.

W1 isn't that important in the overall scheme. Basically what you need to know is that Geralt is a Witcher, which is a monster slayer created by forcibly mutating kids. Most die in the process. Everyone thinks he's dead but he appears with amnesia. A sorceress named Triss is in love with Geralt and convinces him that he loves her (He was friends with her before he lost his memory, but she isn't the sorceress he was in love with before).

In W2 a couple kings are killed, including Foltest of Temeria. Triss and Geralt are his court sorceress and witcher. Geralt is framed and goes off to clear his name. It turns out The Lodge had hired another witcher, Letho to kill one of those kings. But this was just a plot by Emhyr - he actually hired/coerced Letho into killing several - to frame them and destabilize the North. The remaining Northern king is Radovid and he's brilliant and crazy. He's trying to kill all magic users.

Also everyone is terrible and racist.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Snak posted:

Has anyone had any success on ps4 getting past the "Skellige's Most Wanted" glitch? Some people on pc have gotten past it, but I haven't found any people who said they got past it on ps4. It's really bumming me out because it's an interesting quest.

I've heard some people fix it by deleting the DLC and reinstalling it. Didn't work for me, the werewolf dances into and out of his death throes forever.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Delacroix posted:

I think the wild hunt doesn't play a part in the miserable peasant simulation. Geralt and the politics of a continent in the hellhole age was an enjoyable experience but only consisted 4/5ths of the game. Bringing a satisfying conclusion to the series with the first appearance of character and a faction (that were only alluded to before) is a very tall order so I don't expect most writers, let alone a game to accomplish it.

Ezio had an awful arc in the AC games in comparison so I'm convinced ubisoft stumbles onto fun IPs through dumb luck and proceed to stuff them up. It amounts to a minor gripe because Witcher 3 is a significantly better package than any modern aRPG.

I just want a good detective monster hunter game on PC. :v: A non-halfassed anachronistic time travelling game would be a nice spinoff though!

I think the problem is that 4/5 of the game is a very personal "Find your daughter" story and the last bit turns into Whelp, time to save the world
The shift isn't handled very well, imo.

It's sort of a commentary on how badly games are written. W3 is very well done, but it _still_ has major flaws in its writing. Yennefer is a great example: she's always going to be prickly and a jerk but she legitimately loves Ciri like a daughter. If I hadn't already read the books I wouldn't have been convinced of this at all - I think it's one of the weakest parts of the game and stands out more because it's generally so well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
I'd love to see another game where you play as Ciri but I have no idea how they'd do it and make it challenging at all. If she gets her magic back she'd be the single most powerful person in the world by far. Even without the magic, she wouldn't have to hold her reality warping powers back without the hunt tracking her.