Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

So I finally got around to enjoying and beating the Witcher 2, and it was amazing. The combat was a blast. The story was awesome. Did Iorveth's path. Freed Saskia. Probably won't go back and side with Roche because I want to move onto the alleged best game in the series now.

My question before I finally start the Witcher 3 is, what difficulty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

I really do recommend trying out Roche's path (I also did Iorveth first, end up far preferring Roche) just to experience how different Act 2 is and also the different perspective on Act 3 - it's still pretty impressive what they did with it but after you've played Witcher 3 you'll probably struggle to go back to the second game.

I always suggest your first time playing a game should probably be on the normal difficulty so you don't get overwhelmed early by the difficulty curve. If you really dig the game but find it too easy you can always up the difficulty at any point, and if you're Achievement minded then you can crank up to the hardest difficulty for New Game plus and just rush through the main storyline fairly quickly.

Is it really worth going through and spending another chunk of time to finish Roche's path? If so, I can go through it fast on normal difficulty I'm sure. Running through Iorveth's tale and saving Saskia seemed pretty badass and fitting for my "canon" run into Witcher 3 though.

I read some articles which suggested that Witcher 3, like Witcher 2 and 1, has the issue where bombs, traps and alchemy mean nothing unless you run on the highest difficulty.

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

Gamerofthegame posted:

You can adjust the difficulty at any time it seems, to start on death march for those sweet swag cheevos and drop down if you're struggling hard.

Less worried about achievements and more about having to use the Witcher tools. :3

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

For me Roche's path delved a little more deeply into the politics side of things as opposed to the war/rebellion on Iorveth's side. I found that really interesting plus Roche is cool as gently caress :c00l:

Right, but is it worth spending another two evenings playing through Roche, or should I start Witcher 3 regardless? :O

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

Vikar Jerome posted:

you can start 3 but at least read the comic that comes with hearts of stone so you don't spend the whole game wondering what happend to all your elf bros and dragons.

Is Hearts of Stone written assuming Roche is canon? D: Cause I was so happy that I broke the spell on Saskia and Iorveth was my bro.

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

Started this game on Death March difficulty and I'm 25 hours in. This is the perfect difficulty level. For anything near my level, if I don't have a build and potions and oils, I'm toast. :D

While just puttering around in the tutorial, I rebound dodge to mouse 4 because I knew I was going to use it constantly. I was right. Dodging is insanely strong in this game.

Edit: Also, I avoided taking gourmet because that is clearly gamebreakingly powerful at low levels. Reading over the descriptions, I suspect the other super cheesy skills are the activatable Quen shield and any build that would allow you to drink a synergistic combo of decoctions instead of just one.

Zoolooman fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 26, 2016

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

Do armor dyes drop in the main game since I have the DLC installed, even if there aren't any dye merchants until B&W?

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

Anti-Hero posted:

I used someones TW2 import from here on NG as I lost my TW2 saves, so Geralt already has the sweet tattoo. I know the import changes very little, but I used a Iorveth import and have yet to play through Roche's path in TW2, so great news that I can do that!

Wait, what? I just realized how lucky I am that I literally have carried my save across every Witcher game.

My Geralt wouldn't be the same if he didn't bear the mistake of one night of drunken whore-riding across the Pontar. D:

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

I have been systematically going through all the POIs in Velen and Novigrad, and I've had a ton of fun with all the sidequests I've discovered in the countryside. Is Skellige not the same? :O

Edit: I'm so good at the dodge button that I killed a monster 17 levels above me over 7 minutes of constant hacking and crossbow sniping, when a single hit would've killed me. Obviously I used a shitload of Quen spam as well. So I've been having fun running into OP monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

Drifter posted:

If you find it fun, then play the game how you want to play it. I might think it's weird, but you paid for it, so you do what you do.

Saying that those ?s take forever to collect and asking if you will lose out on any interesting Witcher lore if you skip them is cool.

Slinging poo poo about how those ?s are lovely and horrible and boring and you can't believe that you had to spend an extra 20 hours collecting them all is the devs fault? No.

The latter is what some people were doing a long ways back.

They're fun to do in spurts because I get to walk through parts of the map I haven't seen yet and go oooh aaaah this is pretty. :3