Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
This is a super dumb minor nitpick, but can you put the gameplay videos on two separate lines? SALR auto-links/embeds youtube links so that long list of url's ends up breaking tables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

LOL

You're a dumbass.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
You guys realize if you just ignore him he'll eventually get tired of yelling into the empty void of the internet and will go back to scrawling things on his wall in his own feces, right? Like, just talk about the game, it'll be ok we'll get through this.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Can I still manually switch between swords? Was there ever even a practical reason to do that in the previous games? I don't think I ever encountered a fight with both people and monsters at the same time.

I always just kind of figured that was more for lore reasons than pure gameplay, and I think it's kind of neat. It reinforces the whole preparation aspect of Witchers to show that they'd be willing to lug two big heavy swords around just for the sake of having a more appropriate weapon in a fight.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Jesus christ this game cannot come out soon enough.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

VanillaGorilla posted:

It's also readily apparent that this game is going to be even rougher on people that obsessively have to loot everything than Witcher 2 was, let's all pray for a no weight/autoloot mod quickly.

It's going to take me a god drat week to get through the first starting area with how much stuff there seems to be everywhere. At least the new potion system means that you don't have to pick up every single little plant just for the sake of being able to make as many potions as you want, so that'll help keep things going a bit.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Are there any monster/quest differences between the difficulties? Or is it just stats? Trying to decide whether to play this on the hardest or second-hardest to start.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Not story differences but stuff like more monsters to kill during a sidequest or slightly different objectives on harder difficulties, etc.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

black.lion posted:

How does importing a finished W2 save work? I'm that idiot that made 1M saves when I played through, there are two finished playthroughs in there somewhere but I'd be hard pressed to figure out which saves those are.

You're going to have to figure that out unfortunately. Starting a new game just gives you an "Import save" option, and then you pick the save from a long list of all your saves.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Mr E posted:

Will we be able to change the difficulty during the game? Cause if we can I might as well start on hardest.

I'm like 90% sure that I heard someone say that you can in a video.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah I was going to say...

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Broose posted:

Also invisible horse Vesimer. Witcher 3 can't escape the cruse of open-world games, lots of weird bugs.

There are probably going to be some pretty good horse gifs in the first few weeks of this game. Giantbomb's stream had the horse clip through the wall of the first inn you go into, so it looked like there was a mounted horse head.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Danny O'Dwyer from gamespot is streaming the game: http://www.twitch.tv/dannyodwyer

If you're not familiar he's a pretty cool/funny guy, so you won't have to put up with some twitch superstar thanking his subs every 30 seconds. Plus he's pretty open to suggestions when playing and is actively showing the game off and explaining stuff.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Avalerion posted:

Another thing that bothers me is that CD project can't just own up to this and actually seemed to try deflect the criticism (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!). The graphics not turning out as good as they looked in a trailer two years ago is one thing and completely understandable, but they had to know for a while they wouldn't quite match that kind of quality and should have acknowledged it. It's like Bioware swearing Mass Effect 3 wouldn't get a lovely pick your ending button even a day before launch when that's exactly what they shipped.

It's actually nothing like that and you're an idiot, hth.

~5 more hours :f5:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

poptart_fairy posted:

At this point the outrage is coming from only a couple of people but nobody can stop loving responding to them.

There are only a couple of hours left until they're completely drowned out by posts from people actually playing the game and having fun, so might as well have some fun with them.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

iGestalt posted:

Wonder how we do this on Steam?

It's already included on Steam. If you want to double-check, go to your library and click the "DLC" link on the right of the game's page. It should say that "<DLC> is already in your Steam library".

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Mordiceius posted:

Where should I place my old Witcher 2 saves to have them be uploaded?

My Documents\Witcher 2\gamesaves\

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
9999 weight limit mod

About to try it myself, will report whether it blows my computer up or not.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah my biggest complaint with Gwent is that it's totally a pay-to-win game, so sometimes you play against an innkeeper who sucks and you roll them, and other times the innkeeper will have some squirrel deck with 3 heroes in it and he'll win round 1 30-25, then drop like 80 damage/strength on you in round 2 cause gently caress you.

Having fun with it when I do find decent matches though. Looking forward to having my own OP decks some day.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

I don't think you know how video games or analogies work.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Schurik posted:

Where do i find a barber?

There's one in Oxenfurt. You need a pass to get into the city officially, although you can just jump off the bridge and swim to it anyway and no one will seem to care/mind.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Anybody know which monsters drop red mutagens? Or where I can get some? I'm still early in the game and I have a greater blue and greater green mutagen, but I've literally only run across one lesser red mutagen.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Badly Jester posted:

But she was tired of living like a peasant, you heartless prick. To be honest, I was surprised how quickly that particular dialog escalated, which wasn't my intention, so I reloaded. It's easy to talk her out of it and keep the data, too. You can even send her to Kaer Morhen.

Wait really? Huh, I must've picked the "wrong" option right from the start then, because I remember my conversation getting to the nuclear option almost immediately. Oh well.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Arglebargle III posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34ub2n6F0yo

I can't tell if this is parody. "Looks like it was drawn by a child."

You can tell it's not a parody because nobody would make a joke video of themselves looking at screenshots for 20 loving minutes. You have to be a true hero of the internet to do that and be completely serious about it.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Pretty sure the big stats window that pops up when you hit 'C' in any of the menus (inventory/character/crafting/etc) has a total time played number somewhere.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
By killing the wyvern?

I mean you can try cheesing the hell out of his aggro range or movement pattern I guess, but 'how do I get past this monster in my way?' seems like a bizarre question to ask.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
GwentAgainstMonsters.jpg

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
So what's the deal with the Chernobog ruins? They say to slot them for added attack power, but both the lesser and greater rune I've found so far says it gives 0. There some way to power them up? I figured maybe it's per kill or something but after playing a few hours with the lesser rune equipped it still says it adds 0.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Darth Windu posted:

In gameplay news, is the shield spell worth leveling? It seems like it could be good, I saw someone mention that it knocks people down upon breaking, like the telekinesis spell?

The first level upgrade is ok and mostly worth it just because you're probably using Quen a lot anyway, but I personally only get it to unlock the second tier and immediately take the sustained shield skill which is awesome. It basically lets you fill your health up and saves you from having to constantly use potions/meditate. Playing on the hardest difficulty, and it's nice to just have that there whenever I want to top off before starting a huge fight or quest.

Also the things that makes the Baron sympathetic aren't his own justifications for things. It's why the game still lets you call him an rear end in a top hat and tell him that it's all his fault even after he gives you the big "You don't understand!" speech. That's what makes the Witcher 3 so much more complex and interesting than something like a Bioware game where they would've tried to spin it so that the Baron's actions actually weren't his fault. It's the difference between 'Look this guy totally isn't an rear end in a top hat!' which comes off as superficial, cliche, and shallow, and 'Look this guy is absolutely an rear end in a top hat but...' which gives them room to build a believably sad character that you can at least temporarily feel bad for, despite the fact that he might be a monstrous piece of poo poo.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Woozy posted:

You actually don't need to level up first tier Quen to unlock the second tier upgrade. You can put 8 points anywhere in the first row of talents to unlock any talent in the second row. It can still be worth it to invest in the first talent depending on how much you lean on Quen, but there are other good options as well. Axii and Yrden both scale really with the first tier talents, for example.

Yeah I didn't mean to imply that you need the first level to get the second. It's just a fairly useful upgrade to get since literally everyone is going to be spamming Quen (or at least casting it before every fight), whereas the other sign talents depend on whether or not you actually use them. Also you only need 6 points for the Sign tree (8 is for melee) so going 3/3 in Quen and Axii is a decent starting build that'll give you a lot of survivability and give you some extra dialogue options.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
"Flaws" doesn't just mean "Things I don't really like or am bad at dealing with."

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
The armors also have a corresponding general skill that boosts their particular bonuses. With the griffin armor, weapons, and skill, for example, you can have like a 90% bonus to sign intensity which is as hilarious as it sounds. Beating a half dozen bandits by setting (and then keeping) them all on fire never gets old.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Gunder posted:

The darkest caves do require the Cat potion, at least unless you'd rather use a torch. Night time is pretty bright though. Unusually, I think it's actually much darker during daytime when it rains.

That's because there's moonlight during nighttime, which apparently people don't realize provides plenty of light when you're not in the middle of a city.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

poptart_fairy posted:

A mutant that's incapable of jumping two foot fences when his sword's out, apparently.

Seriously guys the realism card's a bit played out at this point, lol.

How are those two things at all related and what does either have to do with "realism"?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Han Nehi posted:

Tech question - anyone know what this game is doing differently than other open world games with regard to pop-in? In other large-world games I always notice the pop-in, but in Witcher I'm not seeing it at all unless I really look for it. (Well, except for the glitches where NPCs appear right next to you.)

I don't know if it's some kind of technical wizardry, but I feel like the world is just so dense with stuff that a lot of pop-in is just hidden behind trees/houses/hills/etc. In something like Skyrim you're constantly running across giant valleys and plains where you can see for miles. In W3 it's pretty rare that you're just out in the open and can see stuff like low-detail trees/houses in the background. At least that's the feeling I get after noticing the same thing the other day.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Flumpus posted:

It's a known bug that all the attack power runes are +0 attack power, right? DPS doesn't change, so it doesn't look like it's just not reporting the right number in the description...

Yeah seems that way. Apparently in some guides those runes are actually listed as reflecting damage, so maybe they changed it at the last minute and it broke or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Zanael posted:

Game of all time forever just for that one line :

That whole exchange is fantastic. Geralt's "Ugh, I knew that'd be a lovely story." legitimately caught me off guard the first time I did that quest for how hilarious and blunt it is. The game's got some really great little moments like that.