Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Just started playing this for the first time; are there any mods that I should drop in from the get-go as a first-timer? I'm unlikely to be the kind of person who plays it once vanilla and a second time modded. Be on a GTX970 if it matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Damnit, GOTY patch broke the Indestructible Items mod.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Rather Dashing posted:

The only mod I can't live without is auto-oils. Anyone know whether it survived the purge?

Seems fine to me.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Anyone got any thoughts on the 'HD Reworked' texture/model mod?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Senjuro posted:

Not sure about that. If you don't limit the player's choices to the shallow stuff then even the best writers in the world won't help you make something as good as The Witcher 3. Imagine if you could choose your character's background like in DA or ME and make Geralt some mercenary or knight instead of a witcher, you'd have to change the way the whole world reacts to you. Maybe a few select characters would still mention how they dislike you if you choose to be a witcher but it won't be nearly as pervasive. You'll also have no choice but to set a lot of the player's past in stone if you want to bring in characters that have a lot of history with the player like Yen.

Honestly, I'm happy with a fairly fixed character that lets me design them. :ninja: Maybe let me use responses to pick their personality a bit. I'll project the rest.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I don't think you have a proper appreciation of the cyberpunk genre yet. :colbert:

The silver sword kills monsters and the carbon nanofibre sword is inlaid with circuitry that allows it to penetrate the electrorepulsive shielding humans wear which renders conventional weaponry ineffective. :science:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Vikar Jerome posted:

declining gives makes geralt say this gem:

Witcher 3 is my first. Wow did he get apparently an attractiveness upgrade at some point.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Fun fact: they did in fact change the face of Geralt in The Wither 2 because fans complained he was too handsome*. There are even screenshots of his original head sculpts still around the net, like this one

well there's handsome and then there's loving anime

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Fun fact: they did in fact change the face of Geralt in The Wither 2 because fans complained he was too handsome*. There are even screenshots of his original head sculpts still around the net, like this one

Few pages back, but Steam just advertised Witcher 2 at me and I realised that the Steam game banner art is totally still based on the old prettyboy Geralt from this post.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

What stage should I play Hearts of Stone at? I should leave Blood and Wine for the end, right? (is this a game where I can keep playing post-ending, or do I just keep a save before the last quest and go play B&W from that)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Do I suffer any if I totally ignore Gwent, aside from my quest log driving me nuts?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

As an Australian, the idea that those are real shades of green used by nature is just wrong and unsettling.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

It's the water that gets me. The only rivers I've ever seen have been murky as gently caress.

My city's river is a fine, naturally coloured river that doesn't need to abide by society's unrealistic beauty standards. :colbert:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

At least the Yarra doesn't have loving sharks in it like Brisbane's.

That's not a bug, that's a feature.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I didn't even bother with the crossbow for fliers. Just Axii the fucker out of the sky, much easier.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Playing through this game, I really feel like the people of Velen would've taken a good look at the advantages of cremation.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

There is one quest for that :eng101:

With me and the igni sign, there's a lot of quests for that. :flame:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Biggest thing missing in this game is a few dozen more beard and hair styles. :arghfist: more geralt barbie, damnit

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh my god Private Slate the Rock Troll best character in game.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Digirat posted:

Especially after this utter troll of an april fools.

WHAT KIND OF MONSTER TEASES US ABOUT THE LOVEBRINGER AND DOESN'T DELIVER

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Drifter posted:

CDP has exponentially made each of their rpgs better both in gameplay, graphics, and story content. We're just assuming they at least hit at a little higher than W3 in terms of quality on all 3 fronts.

The improvement leaps impress me. The fact that they listened to feedback after release and implemented things like the tighter turn toggle and stashes in patches astonishes me. I'm so looking forward to Cyberpunk.

On a different note, I have to say, I'm really impressed by Geralt's facial expressions during even minor cutscenes. He's emoting all the time. Did they facial mo-cap every single conversation branch in the entire game or something?

It's a pity whoever he's talking to is usually more stiff, though. Kiera, that cannot be a comfortable neck angle.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Sep 21, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Man, I love the sideways glances and little interactions between Geralt and Triss. The characters are so impressively real seeming personality-wise, in a way I've never seen in a game before, even stuff animated like LA Noire.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I just hit 14, the level for the Wolf Gear scavenger hunt, and was looking forward to going and getting me some, but it wants me to go to Kaer Morhen? I can't? What gives?

Do I just make Griffin instead? Hold out till 17 for Cat?

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Sep 24, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

How did they listen to fan feedback enough to put in a stash post-release, but not enough to put in a goddamn 'no intro movie' and 'no loading narration' option come on.

Also a pause-on-load, this takes ages and I alt-tab and watch youtube.

EDIT speaking of convenience oh yes I hope this Torch mod works as advertised

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Sep 25, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

True. The first is just annoyance; the second with the narration is that I end up sitting there, hammering the button, then have to wait for the final finish-loading afterwards. Plus it's a very annoying narration the twentieth time you've heard it. Mostly it's just a bit of irritation.

Kinda like how torches are crazy easy (thank god), but I still really miss the lantern mod from Skyrim.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Do you need to have enhanced mind control equipped to use it in dialogue?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oooo, a wolf mask.

I see no reason to ever take this off.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I kinda hope there's a standalone non-canon bonus DLC for Cyberpunk that is literally Cyberwitcher. Just for fun.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

So that's what the unicorn comment was about.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I was sorely tempted by Team Triss but I just got to Skellige and I love how Yen and Geralt are like immature giddy teenagers who pretend they're totally too cool for this poo poo but actually ridiculous at each other and refuse to stop terribly flirting.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Arcsquad12 posted:

One last thing about Shani. What on earth is her accent? It sounds like she's trying to be American but skipping into English.

Well, I've basically been able to spot all the holdover characters from Witcher I by how out-of-place their accent is in this game.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

El Hefe posted:

The correct way of playing the game is telling all the women that you love them so they spread their legs, doesn't work for me irl but hey it works for Geralt.

But where's the mod that lets me go to passiflora and hire Darren.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Omi no Kami posted:

Speaking of which, I really wish Geralt went around telling awful dad jokes. Like, when he and Cerys were doing their CSI thing and she went "those bears must've been berserkers," I was begging in my mind for him to do "you mean bearserkers?", and for her to just stare until he coughed and shuffled away.

screw shame, I want him to say that and then smirk that 'bad dad joke' smirk until she just shakes her head and leaves

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

God Skellige is so prettOH gently caress OFF HARPIES

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Are there any oceanbound ones I should get? Just tell me.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I think they missed a beat not making the loading screens when you fast travel a generic looping animation of Geralt riding a horse through generic woods/swamp/skellige forest or sailing a boat or whichever is relevant between the two locations. Would've been nice.

Also when you whistle for roach he should ride up and you jump onto him straight away. Also you should be able to fast travel from his back if you're at a signpost. Also

Drifter posted:

And if you ARE the type of person who spins around twice when leaving a room or touches a handle six times before you can shut a door, then that's your own goddamn fault for collecting all that pointless poo poo, not the game's.

I have pills for that now, life is much easier.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Oct 9, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

There should've been an achievement for taking that sweet slide after the trial of dexterity.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

He meant the part where you said

Drifter posted:

if you ARE the type of person who spins around twice when leaving a room or touches a handle six times before you can shut a door, then that's your own goddamn fault

Wasn't kidding about having pills for that, actually; I did have do stuff like that, was pretty loving horrible. 'Your fault' is pretty bad phrasing.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh no Tyrion :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They clearly don't have an issue with the word 'gently caress', I don't understand the overuse of 'ploughing'.