Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
We all know what the game is going to look like in advance of it coming out, so we can make our own personal informed decisions on whether or not to buy it. All the hand-wringing and shitposting about the graphics in this game is completely unreal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Here's what to do about it:

Realise that marketing is marketing. Don't take it at face value, and just wait to see some real gameplay footage closer to release.

Most importantly, don't get riled up about minor graphical settings in a loving video game.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Are there any reports out there yet of it running on a 750ti?

e: It looks like this guy is running it on an i3 and a 750ti and it looks pretty drat good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bewyyjNvqYE

At 1080p and medium-high settings he's getting a reasonably consistent 30fps. If I can get 1080p and a locked 30 by turning a couple of things down, I'm happy with that.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 08:20 on May 19, 2015

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
So I downloaded GoG Galaxy, but forgot to change the install directory to my HDD before I clicked install, and there wasn't enough space on my SSD. I then changed the directory in Galaxy settings, but it's still saying 'not enough space'. So I uninstalled the Galaxy client and reinstalled it onto the HDD, now Galaxy won't start at all.

Next stop was the GoG Downloader, but no games are showing up in it at all for some reason, and Google isn't helping. My last choice is to just download it manually from the GoG website, but it's so much slower and cumbersome to do it this way. It would have been nice for them to iron out all these kinks in their stuff before such a major release. :sigh:

e: OK I got it fixed by reinstalling Galaxy back onto the SSD and changing the install directory, and deleting some temp files from my Users folder.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 08:48 on May 19, 2015

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Antti posted:

I was nervous about this too because I have a brand new i5, an SSD and eight gigs of RAM but I had to replace my graphics card with a 750Ti last year so I didn't upgrade it. I'll be able to get to it after work but I am hoping for 1080p + medium settings + 40 fps.

I have the exact same specs as you, I'll let you know how it runs once the download has finished.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I got the game running at a consistent 1080p 30fps on my 750ti, mostly high settings, some medium. It looks stunning, I'm really impressed that this card can still push out this kind of performance. The game is great fun, but I just accidentally spent all my gold on a whole stack of 5 dwarven spirits when I only wanted one, and the game autosaved immediately afterwards.

Also, I like that sometimes Roach is an rear end in a top hat and won't come when I whistle because he's too busy eating. :3:

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Schlesische posted:

My real problem with it is that it's unskippable and I don't think the game loads during it so it's just a thing that takes up my time.

The game does load during it, though. It's there to hide the loading bar.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
The patch is downloading at precisely 100kb/s from Galaxy. I'm guessing they might have limited it or something? Unlike Steam I can still play while waiting for the download though, so I guess it doesn't matter too much.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Xenoith posted:

After playing the game for like 15 hours so far I kind of agree with that video posted.. the combat reminds me of Shadows of Mordor, extremely shallow and casual. Along with the visual downgrades, this game doesn't personally meet the hype for me. The world feels kind of dead to me too, pretty much all the same generic poo poo over and over. It's not a bad game.. but I expected a lot more from this one. Best part of the game are the character models/details sadly.

I really can't see how anyone could think the world is 'dead'. It's grim and dark and pretty depressing alot of the time, sure, but it's wonderfully crafted. Velen really feels like a hosed up war-torn shithole more than any other game I can think of.

On another note, the very first quest I picked up there was to go and find some dude's brother and some women in a mine. Everything went fine until I found the huge spider mother. Everything up to that point was level 4 or 5, but I couldn't work out why it was killing me in one hit, and why it's health bar wasn't dropping. Turns out the quest was level 33 or something. Seems weird to have that quest available so quickly, and for the mobs leading up to the boss not to be a higher level. Took me a half hour to get to the boss, only to find that there was no way I was going to be able to kill it yet.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 22, 2015

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Airfoil posted:

Goddamn bears.

Bears are pretty easy really. They're not particularly quick, and they're easy to attack for a long time after they try to hit you. Stick Quen on just in case, quick-dodge out of the way when they come for you, get a few hits and and then wait for them to lunge again.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ice Fist posted:

Oh, Roche. Just doing Roche things.

Roche is feeling a little...horse today by the looks of things. :shepface:

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Poetic Justice posted:

For the people who don't like the sex, what is it you exactly don't like about it and how far along are you? It's rough at the start, but as I've grasped the techniques, like feinting and causing them to come towards you as you dodge out of the way and maneuver behind them to stab them is extremely satisfying.

If you're a sex noob, you'll want to make sure you have protection with Quen. If you're pro like me, you just go in without. Keeps things spicy. Also, make sure to coat your weapon with various oils at all times. Really makes things easier.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fat Samurai posted:

Yep, we're talking about different things, sorry.

There was one little nekker dungeon that I couldn't get to go grey. Turned out there was a box to loot on the scaffolding just outside the entrance, and a little cubbyhole just inside that I'd missed. Just make sure you've looted everything inside and out.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

canada jezus posted:

Any story and or loot reason to play gwent if you don't enjoy it?

Yeah I've been avoiding it because I'm not a huge fan, but if there's a quest later on to beat some guy in exchange for a bitching sword or something I might start playing.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mailer posted:

Everything about this game is a thing I love except the combat. I'm only about four hours in but there's just no part of it that feels good. So far enemy AI consists entirely of 1-3 seemingly uninterruptible rushing attacks followed by a backdash/teleport after they take X hits. The manual lock-on requires some sort of specific hidden positioning (maybe an invisible cursor I can't see due to gamepad play?) to work at all. The automatic lock-on loves to switch to whatever thing is not the nearly-dead enemy I'm trying to finish off. I've got two fairly lengthy longswords but the range might as well require hugging. I've been able to potion/eat through it so far but after a oh-poo poo-haven't-saved-in-ten-fights death to Geralt's ADHD target switching I ragequit for the night. I read back through the thread (late to party, etc) near release and I didn't see anything about this.

Is this some sort of sensitivity/controller setting or should I just crank it down to ezbabymode and enjoy the smartass comments/boobs?

Just don't use lock-on when you're fighting groups. There's really no need, you will attack in the direction you move the stick (or WSAD if you're using KB+M I guess) and overall it's much easier and makes the combat flow better. Also, remember to use your signs and bombs. For a while I was just using Quen and tanking my way through the bigger groups, but now I've started mixing up my sign usage (throw a Yrden down to slow down a few, get a few hits in on another, dart away and throw a smoke bomb etc etc) and it's much more satisfying.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

CVagts posted:

Dang, so I guess my possible EXP bug fix didn't actually work?

They're patching it monday, apparently.