Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So is this the first Witcher game for anyone? I wanna hear your impressions. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
This was a really good game.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I think the alt-mode on Aard is great, but you don't need any of the other abilities for it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I've installed the mod that makes the yellow traits active without slotting them in and I thought that was a good balanced approach, overall.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

The Sharmat posted:

To be fair I'm pretty sure that particular bit of superstition actually predates Christianity.

Yeah they're playing with Devil stories a lot but I think "He is literally Satan" is going too far unless you seriously think he is a rebellious angel who defied God, was cast into Hell, and now functions as the source of all the universe's evil. In which case you're a bit weird.

He's not the Bible Devil, perhaps, but he is the European Folklore Devil or a being so close to being one that there's no practical difference.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Taffer posted:

I'm late to the party and just recently got Wild Hunt. I'm a good 30-40 hours in and starting to think about mods to ease some of the more annoying aspects. Unfortunately the OP makes zero mentions of mods and (as usual) the nexus site is terrible. Any recommendations? I just found a couple that make the minimap less poo poo (thank god) and I would like more nifty things like that.

I used Fast Travel from Anywhere (use it carefully. if you've just done a quest and are in a building or a cave, you might want to run out first in case they were going to hit you with a cutscene), Perks Always Active, Display Quen Duration and Quen Visual Fix. I recommend them all.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Kill some bandits, sell them to the armorer in the Novigrad market square or, like, any other armorer/blacksmith. You get more money when you sell the loot to appropriate merchants.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
gasp

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Slashrat posted:

No one has posted these here yet? For shame!

First screenshots of Blood and Wine:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3720352&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=613#post453615660

:smug:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

So I'm level 11 but can't kill a level 6 quest werewolf because it has insane health regeneration. I'll run in, stun, potion the gently caress up to buff my self, but even hacking away at it full speed it heals faster than I can deal damage. It's nuts.

It's a regenerating enemy in a fantasy RPG.

Set it on fire.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

I can't never get bombs to work, uses the same terrible interface as the crossbow so it's totally useless to me. The few times I tried to bomb him he'd kill me while my character would fumble in the interface and bomb-equipping animations, only to of course wildly miss because the bomb has to be aimed manually, doesn't lock on or anything. I wish it was just "press B to throw bomb at targeted enemy" and it just worked.

I finally managed to save up the 300 gold I needed to buy a better silver sword. Had the same sword I started the game with until now at level 11. 300 gold was hard, a lot of plant harvesting at 1 gold each. It's a LOT better.

You're at level 11, you should be collecting a Witcher gear set, not buying gear. Come to think of it, you should have gotten a better silver sword in the first village as well. I believe it was in a crypt where the Viper Serpentine witcher died?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
http://www.usgamer.net/articles/best-armor-and-swords-in-the-witcher-3

You should go get a Witcher gear set that suits your playstyle right now. (I recommend the Sign build from the second page of this guide and Griffin armor for a fun, versatile experience.)

Then just clean out a few bandit camps and sell their swords and armor in Novigrad. Personally, I just dumped both at the armorer at the central market square near Vivaldi.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Supreme Allah posted:

The city looks ridiculous but you just know there's a vast cave system in that big mountain, full of stuff that needs to be killed, crawling around in the dark, mainly minding their own business. Assholes.

WHAT NOW! :mad:

...you piece of filth :smuggo:

I wish they could just do twenty hours of wedding-style content. Just Geralt hanging out with his buds in Disneyland, chillin'.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

hatesfreedom posted:

It's a real shame I can't recommend the fast travel mod, it really removes a lot of the drudgery. But if you're like me you'll ignore all the warnings about breaking quests by using it at the wrong time, and then here you are. Painfully aware how much it bothers you that you can't complete a quest you honestly don't care about anyway.

I've beat the entire game with the fast travel mod without breaking anything.

You just need to, y'know, not teleport out of obvious quest areas.

Baronjutter posted:

The more I learn about sorcerers the more I think Radovid did nothing wrong. Wanton use of mind control and manipulation, extreme selfishness, arrogance, often claiming they have some grand moral code and then loving everyone around them for some nebulous "greater good" or personal goal.

No, Emhyr's approach is reasonable. Radovid is just a oval office.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ahh, OK. So which runes are the typical favorites?

Just hit level 11 last night and rocking the basic Griffin set, the power jump is huge. For the first time I now have more abilities than info buttons, though >_<. Trying to figure out which signs are most useful and its kinda hard given conflicting posts from different patches.

http://www.gamerevolution.com/features/a-guide-to-building-geralts-skill-trees-in-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt

I played with the sign build on the second page and recommend it. I also used the Traits Always On mod with it, though.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Helith posted:

So don't go shoving anyone forcefully.
No matter how much you might want to.

Hint hint.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If this is about pushing people out of the way as you run I'm so hosed then. I've legitimately stopped and dismounted more than once because there was so much yelling and wailing as I pushed peasants aside as I ran.

No, it's about a dialogue choice in one of conspiracy-related dialogues.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

Just to get it out of the way I tried lowering the difficulty to story only against the shrieker and learned two things:

1. The quick dodge doesn't work at all against this guy, rolling's the only thing that works and only for one attack.
2. You really have to try to die on Story Only mode.

Also for some reason Swallow stopped working. That's weird.

Sidestepping in general is against humans only. Any monster and you have to Quen-and-roll.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Okay, humanoids. :colbert:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

SectumSempra posted:

Ok i almost spoiled something, but you don't mean the fight I was talking about. I actually somehow entirely skipped the fight you mentioned?
Weird.

Yes, you can not interfere in that one dude's execution. You do see something cool if you do interfere.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Anyone here able to read Mandarin?
http://imgur.com/a/6dUj2

That one with Roche and Ves is from my quest!! so cool (unless it's saying my quest sucked)

Yeah, a translation would be nice.

It's cool that Witcher 3 is apparently even popular in East Asia now.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I wish W3 had the stat gear/decorative gear slots, so I could change my outfits while getting the Griffin bonuses.

sdr782 posted:

Recently bought the Heart of Stone Expansion and ran into a crashing bug when Geralt bangs Shani on the boat. It happens every time I get to this scene and it is preventing me from progressing the story, anyone else have this issue?

Yeah, had to turn down all the settings to get through it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I feel like spontaneously blurting this out:

This game is rad.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
In the end (we're talking mid-twenties) I just ended up giving myself a bunch of rare ingredients and recipes I was missing, because gently caress if I knew where else to look for them.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Vitamin P posted:

- Kiera's cool and I love how absolutely done with the whole village witch thing she is. Definitely gonna bro out with her as much as possible.

- From the glossary Ciri seems to be the most important person that has ever existed, and presumably the emperor is hunting her to make her heir to his throne. I'm not sure how to feel about that, on the one hand she's obviously a good person and could take Nilfgard in a better direction, but on the other she seems to love the freedom she has in the flashbacks. I'm assuming Geralt gets a say in what eventually happens to her and honestly don't know what would be best.

Well, not to spoil too much, but this is a big-rear end reactive RPG and since they're both major characters you get to affect how their stories end. I'll be honest, I'm a big sentimental babby about these things and I always look up how to achieve the best possible outcome for my precious babby NPCs, so in case you're like that as well:

For Keira if you want the best outcome tell her to go to Kaer Morhen. I think both choices regarding the research are okay as long as she goes there. For Ciri there are five major scenes that will affect how good an ending she gets. Her being an Empress or not is a separate thing and the choice you have to make to affect this is pretty obvious when it comes.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Vitamin P posted:

I 1000% want the best for my children too but think the reactivity will be more fun if I'm spoiler free, plus I'm going to do a new game+ when both DLCs are out for a Perfect Playthrough anyway. The only things I already know are that I have to choose if Geralt really loves Yennefer or just feels that way because of a spell and that there are some gwent games that can't be repeated.

I'm with hope assuming that the choices basically correlate with your intentions, and they won't be lol-this-is-grimdark-IT-BACKFIRED. I'm assuming the Kiera arc will be keep hiding in a swamp or get back out into the more refined world, and I honestly think she'd be happier in a city with her fancy things. Ciri is a, almost the honestly, main character so I guess that'll be informed by the main plot. Right now, still in Velen, I'm torn but my inclination is that she'd be happiest living the witcher-esque lifestyle. But if she could potentially turn Nilfgard into an enlightenment nation that drops the imperialism then poo poo, she might have to take one for the team.

Weeeeeeeell. It's slightly tricksy. Think really carefully. Good luck!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

This game is too loving big and long, just started Skillege after like 40 hours. How worthwhile is it to see that Radovid is assassinated?

You should, IMO.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Safety Factor posted:

I still regret that you never get to revisit the trolls you rescue Thaler from. They just wanted some shoeses. :smith:

It's not too late to start a campaign to put them in the DLC.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Supreme Allah posted:

The way they handle Djikstra in that questline is one of the few disappointments in the game for me

Even if you're pragmatic with him the quest still ends with Djikstra giving Geralt a silly ultimatum. He could go after Roche anytime, so why give away your plans to seize power before tying up that loose end? Especially with the witcher around.

Djikstra should be calculating enough to say 'well done gentlemen' and plan to slip Roche some poison later. Instead he basically incites a brawl he can't win.
It didn't ruin the game or anything but it wasn't exactly a high-light.

Well, it's two things.

One, for in-game reasons, it's a calculated risk for him. He could try to get them now, while they're alone in his domain where he has a poo poo-ton of assassins to make the attempt, or he could wait for them to disappear and try to find them somehow in their own hideout surrounded by their troops. Geralt is a badass, sure, but Dijkstra is incapable of seeing the giant invisible "I have control over space and time and it is impossible to defeat me in combat" sign hovering over his head.

Two, and that's a storytelling reason, that plan wouldn't involve Geralt, your protagonist. It'd just be "oh your friends died off-screen weird huh".

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Omi no Kami posted:

So Ciri is new for Wild Hunt, right? I just finished 1 & 2 and was expecting them to give her some backstory like they did Triss & Yennefer (I still can't say that with a straight face), but is her introduction really Wild Hunt's "Here is a child. Now here is that child as a woman. Go turn her into a trading card"?

hth

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Shannow posted:

Really the only fault I can find in this game thus far is the music. Not that it's bad (other than the theme that comes in when you get near the main Nilfgardian army camp in the east) but there's not enough variety and what there is loops way too quickly.
I've spent so long wandering and exploring now that some of it is beginning to grate, is it easy enough to mod in some new tracks from, say, the skyrim ost or such?

You are an insane person.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Pellisworth posted:

Basically what I'm saying is Witcher 3 is gonna be a genre-defining game in the same vein of Baldur's Gate 2.

It certainly has its flaws, but holy gently caress is it setting new expectations for what an "open-world RPG" should be.

It manages to be both very realistic and gritty and absolutely immense. One hundred hours is not hyperbole, unless you're intentionally rushing through you'll be pretty close to that before you finish. It's loving huge and the quality is pretty consistent.

Most RPGs of this scope sort of assume you can't have deep character interactions and plot and need to fill the world with generic fetch/grind quests. It's a large world, so the quality has to diluted, right?

loving WRONG. You can be both huge in scope and deep in actual role-playing interaction.

For me, "open world RPG" is very literally what Wild Hunt does best. It's an immense open world with fantastic role-playing.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

GuyUpNorth posted:

Novigrad is gang politics and the like, in stark contrast to Peasant Misery Simulator so you just have to get used to that with perhaps new perspective. Skellige's main plot starts a fairly consistent tone.

Yeah, I dunno. I thought Novigrad was similar in quality to Velen.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Jack of Hearts posted:

Outside of his voice (which I think works well for a century-old dude who has Seen Some poo poo), I don't even think Geralt fits within that category at all. E.g., if Geralt were confronted with some bullshit like Riddler challenges, he'd roll his eyes so hard that they'd pop out of his head, possibly make a terrible punny joke, then go see if Catwoman was up for a quick shag.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

cooshee posted:

to 100% witcher 2 you have to kill all the trolls for one achievement... which makes you a horrible person neither a gentleman nor a scholar

Ban the monster from the thread.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

v1ld posted:

Useful suggestion, thanks, but digging around makes it seem like I may end up missing some quest triggers so I may use the mod after the first run is done.

Just make sure you've actually left a quest area after you're done with it. Ask yourself "have I reached an area from which the devs would have trouble anticipating in which direction I'd go next?" and if yes, travel away. Never failed me. The one quest people have problems with is leaving Whoreson's hideout after having your chit-chat with him and, personally, I found it pretty loving obvious that I might gently caress myself if I teleport out of there. Just don't travel until after you've completely exited his compound. Run to a fast travel sign if you're really paranoid.

Otherwise you'll be fine and you're literally saving yourself a day's worth of life not spent on tedious bullshit. You really, really want to use this.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
She actually cures the plague if you let her keep it. Not just out of the goodness of her heart, presumably, but still.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Technically it's not even that pragmatic, if the methods were so unethical that you wouldn't be able to reproduce the results, the data is kind of worthless.

e:I suppose until Keira's able to use it to actually cure a plague. Never mind.

Yeah, it's not exactly a recent debate:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi_human_experimentation#Modern_ethical_issues

Me, I'm of an opinion you shouldn't be an evil oval office, but if you find someone else's research you might as well at least take a look at it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
It worked when I played through the game, which was one patch ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Supreme Allah posted:

Skellige is diluted because most of the water ?s are a waste of time. The land ?s are still solid and there are some real gems.

I wonder if whoever was placing all those water ?s in Skellige was like "why am I doing this? who the gently caress will do these?"

Or was he staying at work on voluntary overtime, enthusiasm burning in his eyes, going "yeah, people will LOVE this poo poo, can't let them down!"