Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I've started playing Witcher 3 and I don't know if the movement sensitivity is high or my controller's left stick is wearing out or what but Geralt feels jumpy. Or maybe it's because I'm also playing Hitman these days and 47 is much more deliberate and stiff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Palpek posted:

Have you tried out the alternate movement mode from the settings menu? It's not a game changer but it's better.

It was somehow already turned on so I tried turning it off to see if that helped things. I'll try playing around with the option more but unfortunately I've been noticing some weirdness in Hitman lately and what I had been dismissing as some jankiness or a bug I think is probably the same issue, namely my controller.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Just started playing this game (thanks PSN sale!) and based on what I heard from some goons earlier I'm trying it out on the second-highest difficulty and even though I've gotten my rear end kicked several times and healing seems like it might be a bit of a chore*, I like it. I almost never stray from the default difficulty in games.

I think if this were less of an action RPG it'd be much more frustrating but since I have full control of Geralt and his blocking and dodging then getting hit feels like my fault and not just the result of some unlucky dice rolls and if it's my fault that means I can get better. Though I must say that after playing so many games with attack alerts it's going to take some time to get back into really paying attention to animation tells and patterns again but it's no big deal.

*I have read lots of good advice on healing in terms of what skills and builds to try but I'm only level 2 right now so my options are limited

PS: I love the "pin" option for your inventory and the custom marking options for the map. Small things like that that show that the devs are really fans of the genre and understand how little tweaks to the UI and how players really use and need their menu screens go a long way.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Had to finally give up against a camp of Level 9 Bandits, being only Level 3 myself. Tried to take them out several times but my damage was so low that to hit them all the required number of times would have completely worn out my hatchet and sword. Not to mention that they were able to one- or two-shot me so it was a long fight to endure with the margin for error being so low, even with Quen.

But I know where they are on the map. I'll be back, mofos.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

WoodrowSkillson posted:

The game punishes you pretty hard for going up against over leveled things, and its much worse early in the game when you have an empty toolbox. Later on with decoctions , potions, signs, etc you can do it, and it can be fun to tackle overleveled stuff.

At this point, clear the board in the starting zone, then just follow the story quests in Velen till you level up a bit.

Ha, yeah, after that encounter I went back to White Orchard. I think I've cleared it, except for this one boat floating out in the middle of a lake with Level 10 Drowners in the water surrounding it. Now I'm back in Velen tracking down Hendrik.

Thing is, I have taken on enemies significantly higher than my level but they had much easier attack patterns to learn, fewer numbers, or weaknesses I could exploit. But at the time I had nothing that could help against Bandits.

Even though I lost the battle it still taught me a lot about combat, especially against humans. So it wasn't a waste of time.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

^^Met the Baron, yup.

Cowcaster posted:

yeah for reasons unclear firing your crossbow underwater amplifies its damage one hundred fold and it'll take about 2 shots to kill drowners 10 levels above you

Whoa, what? I knew from the goon wiki that I could fire the crossbow underwater but I had no reason to believe it would be superpowered. I have a Silver Bolt upgrade so I was already familiar with the idea that the crossbow would get boosted but... ok, maybe I'll go back to that lake then.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

twistedmentat posted:

I always think in games how funny it is that NPCs give your character poo poo in RPGs constantly even when you're a walking arsenal of weapons and scars that show you've seen some poo poo. Some dirt eating peasant in a ragged shirt and no shoes starts giving you poo poo about "we don't like your types round here!".

Because most of the time your character is like this:

in the sense that the player character model barely shows a fraction of what you're actually packing. You might not seem all that dangerous at first glance. Geralt's an outlier, visibly showing two swords and a crossbow at all times.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

There were some fools in a bar I went to in Velen who wanted to start something but I ended up buying them a round instead and then later when I went to see the Bloody Baron one of the guards at the door was like "i guess you're all right, you did buy us a round and all".

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Pellisworth posted:

If you get into a fight and kill them, they shut the gates of Crow's Perch and there's a different side quest where you have to find your way in through tunnels.

Most Witcher quests don't really branch in significant ways but they do give you a lot of cool options for achieving the same goals

Cool. I was half expecting to be disappointed by seeing someone post that you could get in through the gate either way and my choice just affected the flavour text I got.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jerusalem posted:

Do I remember right? When you meet that guy in the polite scenario noted above, when he says,"I thought you were going to gently caress off to somewhere else?" Geralt replies,"I did.... I hosed off to here :colbert:"?

That's the one.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Soooo, botchlings huh? So much furor about GTA back in the day with stealing cars and using prostitutes and here's The Witcher, with miscarried baby corpses coming back to life to be cut down by my sword. Cool.

(Though I turned it into a lubberkin. Didn't fight it)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

mlmp08 posted:

I fought a woman who turned into a werewolf.

"Ok, so... she's a dog."

Palpek posted:

He indirectly kills his own daughter :qq:. Bad dad Geralt.

Seriously though when that happens he does directly kill the third Crone.

Wowzers. Scrolled down with my cursor in the middle of the page and accidentally hovered over those spoilers. Good to know, good to know :(

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Great, now I'm going to be a helicopter parent.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Is there a way to get rid of schematics? Just like in DA:I, I'm guessing as I get higher-leveled my crafting menu is going to be full of low-level stuff that I have no use for whatsoever and I'd rather keep the list relevant. Or is there an expectation that if I have the materials to spare I should be crafting stuff so that I can sell it?

Cowcaster posted:

the base version of all potions and oils are universally pretty crummy, it's not until you bump them up to the next level that they start having a noticeable impact (with oils at least there's the starter skill that makes them poison which can help)

When/where do you level up potions and oils?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I feel like a teenager who just got his first job. I'm finally making money! Witcher contracts, betting on myself in fights, merchants who pay decently for the hoard of loot I collect now that I have max inventory space, and exchanging currency after finally meeting Vivaldi.

Now to blow it all on improving my deck for a card game. Just like when I was a teenager, too!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Man, Novigrad is gorgeous. It has the usual videogame problem of feeling underpopulated but other than that I don't think I've ever seen a better Old World medieval fantasy city in a game before. They're either too small or too understated or the graphical power of the time just couldn't do justice to the vision. I was gawking around like a tourist like the first time I was in the Italian cities of Assassin's Creed 2.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's unfortunate that an RPG is a name for a certain set of game mechanics and that for a lot of people it also has to mean a certain type of character narrative at the same time when they don't necessarily have anything to do with each other. I get why they're usually related, given their origins in pen 'n' paper, but they don't have to be inextricably linked.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm almost levelling too fast. I try to do quests at their suggested levels but I get too much XP that I end up blowing past other quests. It's not like I mind doing quests lower level than me because on higher difficulty each encounter is still lethal if you're not careful but whatever the opposite of grinding is, this game has it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Palpek posted:

That's normal, don't worry about. Sometimes you'll decide to do a main story quest and it'll turn out that it's a longer one that will level you up like 5 times and your entire side-quest sequence plan will get destroyed. Just do those quests anyway, it's not possible to judge which one will be worthwhile and in the end everybody finishes with a similar amount of XP as you get most of it from the main quest.

It makes me more anxious about gear than it does about the quests, honestly. At the rate I find schematics and gear and how fast I'm levelling my equipment and weapons seemingly get obsolete fast. But I'm learning to ignore slight damage or armour increases in favour of sticking with other bonuses or Glyph upgrades that work better for me than just basic DPS or higher armour rating.

Related to that, I kind of regret outfitting myself in the Griffin school armour set. Doesn't really seem like it'll fit my playstyle in the long run and I gave up on a better weapon just for the sake of being a completionist, which was pointless since I won't be ready to enable the full set bonuses for a long-rear end time. Think the main reason I switched to the Griffin gear was because my chest armour was so ugly and because at the end of a treasure hunt quest like that I kinda felt like I deserved some instant gratification.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Cowcaster posted:

the thing with the witcher set gears is even when you outlevel what you've got you can always upgrade them to the next tier, one of a couple of reasons they more or less obsolete individual pieces of equipment.

the best way to think about it is if you find something that straight up has better stats than the piece of set equipment you're wearing, put it on and cram the set piece in your stash. when you hit the level required for the next tier of the set equipment, dig it out of mothballs and upgrade that bad boy. like you said, the set bonuses don't actually get enabled until you upgrade things to the grandmaster tier anyway, so in the meantime there's no reason not to min-max your stats (aside from fashion souls)

Yeah I have no problem replacing it, it was that the equipment convo dovetailed out of the "levelling too fast" talk. I can upgrade some of the Griffin School gear at 16 or 18 but I'm almost at 12 now so makes it seem as though half of my questing will just be for gear.

All in all though, I'm not truly fretting about this stuff. Having a blast with the game overall and figuring out how to get into that lighthouse for the Griffin School schematics was cool. This game has a strange and awkward relationship to climbing and platforming that I'm still feeling out.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Oh, you have not chosen anything yet, you still have not even foudn the cat, bear, and wolf gear. The 1st level ones are all super easy to make.

Bear School sounded cool but by the time I get it I might need to respec it to really take advantage. Might respec at some point anyway. It's my first time playing so I'm still getting a feel for what I really want Geralt to be.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

At this point I want to get more Quen intensity so to get access to that row I'll decide if I want to dump more points into Igni or Yrden (leaning more towards Yrden as I get further into the game, it used to seem so lame and limited). Other than that my points are going to go into Alchemy so that I can make better use of decoctions. I'm at the point now where all these useful decoctions I've had recipes for for a while are now becoming available because I'm encountering and killing the monsters that make them possible and the abilities from decoctions sound way more interesting and varied than Signs. Even before I had the game and I would watch videos I knew that Igni was going to get boring real quick.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

How am I already at 35 hours with this game? I'm level 12, have barely done half of Velen and haven't even touched Skellige or Kaer Morhen. It's not like I dawdle or meander all that much except for the odd Place of Power exploration. drat. This is going to be a 200+ hour game easy, especially with the expansions.

Last night I put a single point into Acquired Tolerance and I guess I had found quite a lot of level 1 recipes because my toxicity is now high enough to guzzle two decoctions and a few spare potions as well. I've only just dabbled in the Alchemy skill tree and I feel like I'm going to be a beast before too long. The only enemy that is consistently annoying is a bandit with a crossbow, go figure. But right now I don't have the ability points or activated skill slots to spare on Deflection or an upgraded Yrden if it's only for one enemy type.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

redbackground posted:

Just keep moving.

Between dodges and Quen shields I can handle them but they are annoying for how I need to chase after them. I like to use Aard to knock them down so I can murderize them as emphatically as possible.

2house2fly posted:

The Velen map includes Novigrad and the Hearts Of Stone area so it constitutes most of the game; it's not nearly as daunting as it looks.

Yeah not quite the size of the maps per se, as I've been to Novigrad briefly already and saw the HoS area in the corner of the map from another Internet discussion. Just mission volume and the number of map markers.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Cowcaster posted:

it really confused me for a hot minute how there's this whole storyline important bit about getting a pass to allow you into novigrad when i swam across the river and explored the entire town 13 hours ago. i assumed it must be a different city.

I didn't swim to get there but it was funny that as part of my reward for one of the big missions I got a pass when I had already been to Novigrad much earlier. There's a merchant right by the bridge who will sell you a pass if you do a small quest for him or you can just Axii him to offer it to you for cheap.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Fuzz posted:

Eh, it's because Morrowind ruined it for everyone because it set a precedent and people keep banging the same, "b-b-but Morrowind!" drum with every open world RPG.

It's kind of a crap attitude because it means that the devs should spend the time and effort to make every nook and cranny of a place like Novigrad filled with content or loot and that would take away from the rest of the world. Or worse, if they adhered to a notion of making a place only as big as the content that will fill it, massively shrinking the city and having it be only a fraction as impressive.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Arcsquad12 posted:

My five hour long skellige question mark hunting voyage will pay off once I sell everything.

The Wind Waker Witcher.

Trogdos! posted:

He's great. Coincidentally, today I picked up a copy of the Last Wish. Been meaning to for a while, played all the games but never touched the books.

I finished another book just yesterday and now since I'm playing Witcher 3 I'm finally going to read The Last Wish after buying it eons ago on a recommendation.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Joey Freshwater posted:

That actually got me thinking - are there any consequences to taking out a loan and not repaying it? Does the guy send bandits after you?

Someone here or elsewhere on The Net said no, so the first time I saw Vivaldi I took out a loan, which was a not insignificant amount of money at that low level, and he hasn't bugged me since. I go back frequently to exchange currencies (why is this a game mechanic anyway?) and there haven't been any consequences.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm reading the Last Wish right now and aside from his lack of fame I can see why Sapkowski gets pegged as a guy doing novelizations of the games because the book and Witcher 3 are remarkably similar. The first few chapters play out exactly like they would in a Witcher contract. So kudos to CDPR for nailing all the elements so faithfully while also making a great game.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Started getting into Gwent but man I've started late. Several missed opportunities already for cards but I'm trying to play catch-up.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

No Wave posted:

The most missable cards are Dandelion during the triss quest [...]

Problem with that one is that I knew it'd be a missable opportunity so I tried the tournament but since I had not really given a crap about Gwent my deck was sad and I got totally schooled by the second guy. I didn't want to keep reloading forever so I just moved on.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The other day I was in the first round and my opponent had racked up well over 100+ strength from a few musters (and some kind of Commander's Horn -type card). And I had not played anything of any real strength on my side. But instead of letting him have the round, I had Biting Frost and Scorch in my hand. There's nothing like the first time you realize what that combo can do and then have it actually work. His whole Melee row burned to nothing. So sweet.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I respecced so that I could be more of a juiced-up strong attacking badass and I finally got an Ekimmara decoction not long after. Time to gently caress poo poo up!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Bold Robot posted:

Probably stupid question: is there an easy way to figure out which of the many assorted alchemy items in my inventory count as alcohol for the purposes of replenishing potions etc.? Is there a counter somewhere that provides a sense of how many refills I can do until I run out of alcohol?

Also, how far does one unit of alcohol go? Does one unit replenish everything when I meditate? Or one unit per type of thing that needs replenishing (so say 3 units if I used 2 different potions and a bomb)? Or one unit per use (so say 3 units if I used 1 potion 3 times)?

Alchemy seems like a lot of fun but the game does not do a great job explaining it.

Alcohols are classified as either alchemy items or food. None of the beers you find will replenish your potions and bombs, for example.

As for replenishing, it's one unit total of strong/alchemical alcohol per meditation to refill everything. So don't skimp on using potions and bombs!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Bold Robot posted:

Just curious, what's the benefit here? Is alcohol completely fungible or is there a difference between, say, alcohest and dwarven spirits?

The strong alcohols are used for Alchemy recipes. Depending on which low level recipes you want to craft you might not want to run out of certain alcohols by using them for meditation. But honestly you should end up with so many bottles of Alcohest and Dwarven Spirits that it shouldn't matter, assuming you loot greedily.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Cowcaster posted:

also assuming you don't rest every time you use a single dose of cat

I'm level 20 and I've never once needed Cat. Where are all these pitch black caves and basements that I was led to believe exist? Killer Whale on the other hand I wish I had had from Level 1. I had the recipe on me forever but only recently got enough Balisse Fruit to be able to make it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mzbundifund posted:

I don't know if it's my brightness settings or monitor or what but I can't see a dang thing in caves without the torch or a dose of Cat.

That's what I thought it might be. I suppose there can be a kind of incompatibility between the in-game brightness setting ("adjust so that you can just barely see the icon") and your display's actual brightness levels.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

m.hache posted:

I've been leaning towards an Signs/Alch cross build. Some of the sign upgrade descriptions don't seem like crazy upgrades but sometimes I have trouble identifying what's a weak skill and what's Overpowered.

I guess I can always just install the cheap respec mod.

All the signs are pretty good but it depends on your playstyle. The only reason I avoided/got rid of Igni is that videogames in general have made fire powers kinda boring. Quen was crucial to me on the higher difficulty level early on, especially Alternate Quen, but I've got such a high Toxicity cap and so many potions/decoctions now that it's not that necessary anymore. I've switched (respecced) my Signs points into Aard now and I swap in Axii into an active slot when I think I'm about to start talking with quest-related NPCs but otherwise that slot is for basic Igni or Yrden because some of my Signs points were switched to Combat, Alchemy, and General.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yeah I would say if you can manage without Gourmet early on (for the higher difficulties), it's worth doing for being able to use that point on something else, avoid having to respec it away later, and so that you have even more reason to sell off 95% of your food. I still keep water handy for quick top-ups of <20% between fights. All other food I sell.

On regular or lower difficulties it's really not worth getting Gourmet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Cowcaster posted:

i will agree with him that it's great for starting out and a single point isn't going to make or break anyone's build as far as i know

Won't break your build, no. I just like my points as tidy as possible.

Speaking of breaking your build, I don't know if you even can unless you deliberately set out to do so. Like if you're on a high difficulty setting and you spend all your points on the General and Alchemy trees without finding/crafting/use potions I suppose would leave you pretty disadvantaged but the game is pretty cool in that Geralt starts with most skills and your points are not for acquiring them but for upgrading them.