Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's our boy?
This poll is closed.
Roy's our boy! 23 19.83%
Roy's our boy! 7 6.03%
Roy's our boy! 14 12.07%
Woaaahhhh! Yea-uuh! 72 62.07%
Total: 116 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wait, hold on.

There we go.

What?

Fire Emblem: Fuin no Tsurugi (Sword of Seals and Binding Blade are both acceptable translations) is the sixth game in the Fire Emblem series, released in 2002 for the Gameboy Advance. It stars a young noble named Roy as he attempts to stop the world-conquering plot of Zephiel, King of Bern.

It was the first game in the series for a portable console, and the first game made without series creator Shouzou Kaga. Which is probably for the best. That dude's weird.

While it was never released in the US, Roy's appearance in Super Smash Brothers Melee, along with the first protagonist of the series, Marth, introduced western audiences to the series, and their subsequent popularity () led to the series being released outside of Japan from that point on.

As a series, Fire Emblem's a strategy RPG known for every character having a name, face, and personality - no generics here. And if one of those named, faced, and personalitied characters dies, that's it. They're gone for the rest of the game.

Why? Hasn't this game been LP'd before?

To put it bluntly: I don't like either of the LPs that exist. Besides that, there's a new translation patch that's been created recently, to replace the old one. While it has its own problems, I consider it a step up from the translation that Artix's LP used.

Not to mention, FE6 is one of my favorite games, and I feel like both LPs have been harsh on it. While I'm not saying the game is above criticism, I want to give it a look from the perspective of someone who really likes it.

Hard or Normal?

I enjoy Hard Mode, but for the time being I'll be doing a Normal Mode run. We'll see how I feel about replaying the game once we're done with Normal Mode.

Spoilers?

This game's plot can be described as 'serviceable' at best, but I'd prefer people not spoil it. There's, like, one decent twist, admittedly, but hey.

UPDATES

Chapter 1: Dawn of Destiny
Chapter 2: The Princess of Bern

Endorph fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 17, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

... culture and civilization to the farthest reaches of the continent.

... possess the most refined culture in all Elibe.

... lies to the east. These were the two most powerful nations in Elibe, with the weaker nations nestled between them.

... by marquesses bound by an oath of cooperation.

... become mercenaries to survive.

Although there were occasional clashes between these nations, the majority of the people of Elibe lived in peace. That peace, however, was not to last...

Now, Bern is mounting a merciless invasion into Lycia...

Pherae's Lord Roy was in Ostia, Lycia's largest territory, when the invasion began. He had been sent to study to become the next marquess of the Pherae territory.

Has sent for Roy to return to lead Pherae's soldiers in defending against Bern.

At the same time Eliwood sent for Roy, Marquess Ostia's daughter Lilina was in Pherae visiting Eliwood, who is Marquess Ostia's long-time friend and confidant.

Upon receiving his father's message, Roy hurries home, taking with him his vassals and Bors, a knight from Ostia responsible for Lilina's safety.

They've all hidden themselves inside the castle!

Hee hee hee... you were right when you said there wouldn't be many soldiers. They're all gettin' ready to defend against Bern!

Of course I was right. I'm always right, you fool. But reinforcements could be here any minute.

Kill everyone in the castle while we still got time! Then we can waltz outta here with all the loot!

:orks101: Let's go ransack the villages and burn everything they got!

We're under attack by bandits from Mount Bolm!

I understand... thank you, Merlinus.

Sorry to cut in mid-cutscene, but this is one of things I mean by the translation patch having some issues of its own. It wants to be a 'localization' patch, so it subs in the 'blast!' and 'dastards!' of official FE localizations in place of actual swearing. While normally too much swearing can be forced and stupid-sounding, I think the first patch's choice of 'drat!' here worked just fine. It's a fan patch, after all. One of the few advantages you have over a more professional translation is freedom from censorship. Then again, I've always found the faux-swearing kind of silly.

Lilina, you must hide yourself. This castle is going to become a war zone.

No, my lord. I can fight, too!

Don't be absurd. I couldn't face Hector if something happened to you in my own castle.

My father? But...

It's going to be all right. Roy should be here any moment. We just need to hold our own until then. He'll drive off these dastards.

Send a messenger off to Roy to let him know of the current situation! We need his help!

Y-yes, milord!

Some enemies wielding axes move into position near these cliffs...

And Roy's group arrives, with a lone rider zigzagging through the enemy lines to meet them.

Bandits have appeared and are attacking the castle as we speak!

No! Is the marquess unharmed?

He's fighting as best he can, but I don't know how long he can last with his illness...!

Excuse me. Is Lady Lilina safe?

You must be a knight of Ostia. Lady Lilina is in the castle. She should be alright. She's with Lord Eliwood after all, but he can't last forever.

I shouldn't have let Lilina go to the castle before me.

Lord Roy, regret won't solve anything! We must retake the castle!

Wolt is right. We must make haste!

Yes, you're right... there's no time to despair. To arms, then!

And that's our intro. Here's the map, cribbed from Artix's LP of the game:

It's an easy map, really, but it brings the game into contrast with the other GBA Fire Emblems. What do I mean?

Here's the first map of Eliwood's mode in FE7. Technically this is actually the 11th map in the game, due to the way FE7 worked, but let's not get too deep into that. It's a lot smaller, right? Way less enemies too.

And for an even funnier comparison, here's the first map of FE8. See what I mean? FE6's first map is still easy enough for someone to come to grips with the game, but it's a lot more involved than most first maps after it. Heck, it's not impossible for someone to die on this map, especially in hard mode.

It's closer in scale to the very first map in the series, Marth Embarks from... FE... 1...

Rotate 90 degrees.

Crop.

Anyway let's meet the team.

Roy is our main character, so he's force-deployed on every map in the game.

What do all those numbers mean? Glad you asked!

HP is exactly what it sounds like. If it hits 0, you die. There are no penalties as your HP is lowered, nor are there bonuses for being at full.

Strength is also exactly what it sounds like. STR, plus the MT of your weapons, determines your damage. By that I mean the calculation is literally STR + MT = Damage. If Roy is wielding a 5 MT weapon, his damage is 10. All calculations in the FE series are incredibly simple and transparent, and I feel like that's one of its biggest strengths as compared to other SRPGs.

Skill determines both hit rate and critical rate - criticals being 3x damage. Just like STR, it works together with whatever weapon you have equipped. Your skill x2 is applied to your hit rate. If Roy's wielding a 90 hit weapon, his current skill would bring that up to 100. As for critical rate, half your skill is applied to those. If Roy's wielding a 10 crit weapon, his current skill would bring that up to 13.

Speed determines your dodge rate. Speed x 2 is applied to your dodge rate - bring Roy up to a flat 14 before anything else. More importantly however, it also determines if you attack twice. If you have 4 more speed than the enemy, you attack twice. As such, speed is pretty much a god-stat: having good speed literally doubles your offensive potential. Not to mention unlike Strength, it serves a defense purpose as well.

Luck is sprinkled all over the calculations. It buffs hit rate, dodge rate - the boost to avoid is just + luck but the boost to hit is half your luck, so each individual point isn't worth much. That said, a unit with high luck is all around better than a unit with low luck. More importantly, Luck also reduces your enemy's crit rate. It's a flat calculation - your crit is reduced by however much luck your target has. An enemy with a crit of 10 would only have 3 on Roy.

Defense is another flat calculation. It reduces incoming damage by however much you have. An enemy with 10 attack would deal 5 damage to Roy.

Resistance is Defense, but for magic. The calculation is the same. An enemy mage with 10 attack would deal... 10 damage to Roy, because this game really hates giving physical units Resistance.

Move is how far you can move. Each point is a square. This is determined by the type of unit (or class) you are, not on an individual level.

Con is your ability to handle weapons. Every weapon has weight, and if that weight exceeds your con, you're docked one point of speed for the difference. If Roy were to wield a weapon with a weight of 8, he'd be reduced to 5 speed until he unequipped it or changed weapons.

Aid, that most eccentric of stats, is your ability to use the Rescue command. Units can pick up other units nearby, protecting them from danger and carrying them along with them, in exchange for a penalty to their stats. The unit being rescued can't attack at all, nor can they be targeted for attacks. This is, as you'd expect, mostly used by mounted units to get their unmounted allies to the frontlines.

Trv isn't a stat, it just tells you who you're rescuing, if anybody. Cond shows if you're being afflicted by a status effect. Affinity plays into the support system, which we'll get into once we have a support.

So with all that in mind, let's look at Roy again. He's average in just about everything. His speed is fairly high, but his con is fairly low, so it balances out. As a lord, he uses swords.

Marcus is chiseled from pure adamantium at this point in the game, and could easily solo the map. Why aren't we using this guy? He rules! As a paladin, he uses axes, swords, and lances - the entire gamut of physical weapons, save for bows. In addition, he can move a massive 8 spaces, and his horse applies a boost to his Aid.

Allen has high strength, and is middling everywhere else, minus his inexplicably low skill.

Lance is Allen's counterpart, and the two of them form the core of most early game teams. The two balance each other out, as shown by his middling Strength and high skill and speed. Allen and Lance are cavaliers, using swords and lances. Thanks to their horses, they can move a hefty 7 spaces.

Bors has incredibly high defense, but his speed is low enough that he's at serious risk of getting doubled. As a knight, he wears heavy armor - that slows his movement speed to a crawl. He's only moving 4 spaces compared to most people's fives. When you compare him to Allen, Lance, and Marcus - the horse riders - the problem only gets worse. Still, he's one hell of a wall when he gets into position.

And last, and locked in a hot debate with Bors over who's least, it's Wolt. He's awful at everything, and has the lowest stats of the team. However, as an archer, he uses bows - meaning he can attack from a distance. He'll be our dedicated potshotter.

There's a lot of enemies nearby, so we'll take defensive positions. I have Bors and Lance move down to the bottom of the cliff.

And I make sure Lance equips his sword instead of his lance, for reasons we'll see shortly.

Allen moves up to the chokepoint at the top of the cliff, and does the same.

Eventually, our formation looks like this. Our weaker units, Roy and Wolt, are protected and also ready to strike at whoever comes into range, and Marcus will be making his move next turn.

At the start of the enemy's turn, Damas, the boss of the bandits, has some words.

But they'll have to go through me to get to the castle! Gut 'em, boys!

The first enemy steps up to Lance...

And gets a lucky hit! The game simply rolls a number between 1-100 to determine most everything. So for 41 hit, you'd think that the game rolled a 40 or lower, right? Well... possibly. Starting from FE6, the game uses two random numbers for determining whether attacks hit or miss. It takes those numbers, averages them, and then weighs that number against the hit rate. If it's equal to or higher than the hit rate, the attack misses. If it's lower, the attack misses.

That averaging mostly benefits the player, since, as you can see here, enemy hit rates are a lot lower than allied ones.

Lance strikes back, then strikes again. His high speed enabled him to double on the counter attack.

And gets some EXP for his trouble. You need 100 for a level-up.

Allen gets into a similar round of combat. He gets hit, then strikes back - but his lower speed means he doesn't double the enemy.

Lance dodges the second enemy who comes after him, thankfully.

The rest of the enemies move, and the situation's like this.

I decide to just let Allen get the kill on the fighter up here, and this gives me a chance to explain another wrinkle of FE's combat system: the weapon triangle. Swords beat axes beat lances beat swords. Allen has a sword, so he's enjoying +1 attack and +15 hit on this enemy. Meanwhile, the bandit is suffering -1 attack and -15 hit - for a total of a 2 attack, 30 hit difference. The weapon triangle is a big deal early on, and we'll be doing our best to avoid going against it.

Allen commits to the attack, and gets a big chunk of EXP for the kill.

I have Bors try and kill one of the enemies Lance weakened, but - as you can see - his choice of weapon is leaving him struggling. He and this fighter have about equal odds of hitting each other. Fortunately, the attack lands.

Marcus cuts across the battlefield with his high move, heading towards the village - that cluster of houses on the far right. Villages often have goodies like weapons, money, or even new units, so we'll want to visit them as we come across them.

Meanwhile, Lance finishes that other bandit.

End of turn, and things have shaken out like this. I'm going to be honest: I have no idea where to put Wolt.

Come Enemy Phase, one of the enemies makes a beeline for Roy, so we get to see our protagonist in action for the first time. He kind of looks like what happens when you glitch outside of a TF2 map.

That goofy-rear end pose means one thing: Roy's just gotten a crit.

A crit is 3x damage, so its' more than enough to finish off this poor bandit. Great debut, Roy. I knew there was a reason people want you for Smash 4 DLC.

He impossibly gets a crit on the second enemy who attacks him, as well - Roy's just gotten two kills to his name in as many attacks.

Unfortunately, the fact that the archer's attacking from range means Roy can't even counter him, let alone crit him. RIP.

Come our turn, Marcus pops into the village for a chat.

"I know this isn't much... but please accept this money on behalf of all of us. Use it well!"

Cha-ching.

And the visit reveals another benefit of horses - their rides can use their leftover move after performing any action that isn't an attack. Using an item, trading items with another unit, rescuing a unit, whatever - so long as they didn't attack that turn, they're getting use out of all their move. It's a nice utility bonus that makes mounted units even more versatile.

Lance swings twice at the Archer, leaving him with barely any HP. He's free EXP for whoever wants it.

and in a flash of pure white light, like a noble samurai, Roy takes the kill. (actually i hosed up the screen capture)

Our formation winds up like this. Bors and Wolt are waddling around like the useless assholes they are.

The only enemy in range is this brigand. He goes a round with Roy, but Roy misses the crit this time.

Wolt performs his true job: chipping down enemies so more useful people can grab the kills.

Allen grabs the kill...

And grabs our first level!

Stats only ever go up by 1, with a couple of exceptions. This level... isn't that great, but at least it makes Allen beefier. What I really want him to grab is a couple of points of speed, so he can start doubling enemies.

Roy took a hit from that brigand, so he uses one of his vulneraries to patch himself up. They're good for restoring 10 hp, but you can't attack and use an item in the same turn. Good thing there's no enemies in range of him anyway.

Marcus visits one of the houses.

Houses, unlike villagers, mostly contain gameplay hints or exposition. The thing is, most of the exposition is impossibly stupid. We won't be going into houses. (Okay, I'll be going into houses to satisfy my curiosity, but I'll trim the fat if I deem it uninteresting. Which most of it is.)

That aside, our formation looks like this. Marcus is finally ready to bust some heads! Screw these other guys, Marky Mark has got this.

Roy gets yet another crit on some guy who attacks him.

Not this guy, though.

Marcus demolishes some fool who attacks him. Why weren't we using this guy sooner?

Oh.

Yeah, our other units are getting about 10 exp per battle, with 30 for kills. Marcus? Is getting 1 per battle, with 3 for kills. Marcus might be 'level 1,' but he's level 1 promoted - he's used an item to upgrade his class. Marcus is a promoted cavalier, a paladin. Basically, Marcus is level 21. He's a useful unit for getting us out of jams and ferrying people around, but if you have him engage in large amounts of combat, you're screwing over your other units. Marcus just took 1/3rd of a level away from someone else, and got barely anything out of it.

Wolt and Roy work together to take down a fighter, and Roy...

Uh, reaps some benefits. Seriously, why is he being so awesome right now?

End of our turn, the map looks like this. The boss is finally in range - he's the fighter sitting on the castle. Bosses don't move, don't worry.

He's a good bit scarier than his flunkies. That steel axe deals heavy hits - emphasis on heavy, though. It's killing his speed even through his massive con, and his hit rate is for poo poo. We'll be fine so long as we only send sword wielders after him.

Lance goes two rounds with a bandit that attacks him, and proves my amazing ability to capture only the most awkward frames of the attack animations.

This level is a little worse than Allen's, but I'm happier with it. Lance already has enough speed to double for now, so I just want him to grab strength to make those doubles count.

Come our turn, Wolt of all people gets a lucky crit as well. Unlike Roy's, this one was completely unnecessary - Wolt would have killed this guy anyway. Screw you, Wolt.

See? With that extra point of strength, Lance can kill this guy in one round of combat.

It's so gruesome I decided against showing you guys it. Feel free to draw in whatever you think Lance might have done to this guy, though.

Roy chugs another vulnerary. Come the enemy phase, the Archer immediately invalidates that decision.

Allen gets revenge for our wasted cash.

With that in mind, we're all set to take on the boss. Notice that Roy actually has a - very slight - chance to miss Damas, despite his high hit and weapon triangle advantage. That's because he's on a Gate, good for 20 extra avoid and 3 extra defense. Those wooded areas back there were worth 20 extra avoid as well, but no extra defense, so Gates - which most bosses sit on - are a big boost compared to most terrain, and make bosses extra annoying.

I don't go through with this attack. It's a long shot, but if Roy got hit on the counter and then hit again on Damas's turn, he'd die. No need for unnecessary risk!

I do have Wolt take a potshot, though. He doesn't have to worry about counters.

You can't take down a few pathetic knights!?

Lance's javelin is a lance with a 1-2 range, so I have him take a longshot as well, even though the odds aren't in his favor.

It doesn't pan out.

Roy and Damas trade blows when Damas's turn rolls around - trade being the key word there. I feel a little justified in not having Roy attack last turn.

Roy falls back to chug another vulnerary, and Allen steps up to the plate. Even he can double Damas - that axe really is slowing him to a crawl.

... Eh, what the hell.

Screw you, Wolt.

Lance fails to pick up the kill also, so...

Allen picks it up when Damas goes after him.

... Well, it's speed.

Roy, is that you?
Roy!
I'm so glad to see you both! Thank goodness you're unharmed.
Thanks for the rescue, Roy.
Of course, Father. How is your health?

But Roy, do you know why I called you back here?
I'm to take over your role by leading the soldiers of Pherae. We will join the rest of the Lycian Army to defend our people.
Exactly. Bern has commenced an invasion of Lycia. We are honorbound to follow the ancient vows of our allegiance. Lycia needs every lord's army, and we must oblige.
Of course.
I'm truly sorry to interrupt your studies and force you into this war, but I'm not well... I'm in no condition to lead an army.
Father...

My father leads Lycia's largest army. And I'm certain my magic will be of help to Roy...
No, Lilina. You must return to Ostia.
... Why?
With Hector preparing for battle, there is no one sitting on the throne of Ostia. It must be an uneasy feeling for the people not to have a sitting lord. As the daughter of the marquess, you must take the throne until Hector returns. That will put the people at ease. Do you have any objections?

Roy, I have arranged a contract with a group of mercenaries. You are to meet them at the border to Bern. Merlinus will accompany you. He is knowledgable, experienced, and should be of great help.
Thank you for everything, father.
Don't worry, my son. I have absolute faith in you! Fight bravely, and show everyone who the next marquess of Pherae is!
Yes, father!

You needn't ask, milady. I will accompany Lord Roy and protect him with my very life.
Thank you, Bors. Take care, Roy.

---

(Image from Fire Emblem 20th Anniversary Artbook)

Level 1 Lord
Swords - D, Affinity - Fire

HP: 18 (80%)
Strength: 5 (40%)
Skill: 5 (50%)
Speed: 7 (40%)
Luck: 7 (60%)
Defense: 5 (25%)
Resistance: 0 (30%)
Con: 6

Those percentages on the right are growth rates. Every time a unit levels up, they roll a 1-100 random number for each of their stats. If it's equal or lower, they gain a point in that stat. If it's higher, they don't. These numbers are rolled independently, with no weighting based on the other results, so empty levels are completely possible - as are perfect levels.

Roy's pretty decent, honestly. He's got alright bases, he's got okay growths in just about everything, even a weirdly high Resistance growth. His Strength and Speed are both a little on the low side, but they're not terrible, and his high luck and skill means he basically never misses, even when enemies are on terrain that gives lots of avoid. That said, his con is a bit of an issue - he can barely wield Iron Swords without lowering his speed, and anything better is a problem.

That said, Roy's biggest issue has nothing to do with his stats. We'll get into that much, much later, however.

Level 1 Cavalier
Swords - E, Lances - D, Affinity - Fire

HP: 21 (85%)
Strength: 7 (45%)
Skill: 4 (40%)
Speed: 6 (45%)
Luck: 3 (40%)
Defense: 6 (25%)
Resistance: 0 (10%)
Con: 9

Allen's middling at just about everything, but his Strength and Speed growths are (slightly) above average. However, his low base skill can be a little worrying. Fortunately with both lances and swords at his disposal he doesn't have to worry too much about the Weapon Triangle.

Level 1 Cavalier
Swords - E, Lances - D, Affinity - Anima

HP: 20 (80%)
Strength: 5 (40%)
Skill: 6 (45%)
Speed: 8 (50%)
Luck: 2 (35%)
Defense: 6 (20%)
Resistance: 0 (15%)
Con: 9

Lance is a firm believer in names as destiny. His growths only differ from Allen by 5%, so their differences really come down to their bases - and Lance's higher base speed makes him my preference, since it allows him to double without having to pray for a couple of early speed levels. That said, they'll average out and be pretty much the same unit around level 15 or so. If you're going to use one, you might as well use the other - no such thing as too many cavaliers, right?

Level 1 Archer
Bows - D, Affinity - Ice

HP: 18 (80%)
Strength: 4 (40%)
Skill: 4 (50%)
Speed: 5 (40%)
Luck: 2 (40%)
Defense: 4 (20%)
Con: 7

Wolt sucks. There's no two ways about it. For one, archers usually aren't counter attacking, so already they're missing out on combat during the enemy phase. To make up that difference, an archer needs to have an amazing player phase - and Wolt just doesn't deliver. His growths aren't the worst, but his bases are a total dumpster fire. Compare his stats to Allen and Lance - he has all their worst stats put together. If he had decent bases, he might be usable, but with stats like these at a point in the game where 1 or 2 points can make a world of difference, he's garbage.

On the other hand, he's force-deployed for the next few maps, so we might as well pry some use out of him. And who knows, maybe he'll get some amazing levels! Okay, the real question is whether he'll get any levels at all.

Level 1 Knight
Lances - C, Affinity - Wind

HP: 20 (90%)
Strength: 7 (30%)
Skill: 4 (30%)
Speed: 3 (40%)
Luck: 4 (50%)
Defense: 11 (35%)
Con: 14

I have no idea what Bors is trying to be. His best growths are in his lowest base stats, and his worst growths are in his highest. Give him a few levels and he'll be mediocre at everything save for a big chunk of defense. He's got a high enough base that his massive defense never fizzles out, even with his only decent growth in it, but believe it or not he actually develops a strength problem as the game goes on. And even with that decent speed growth, it'll take him ages to start doubling anything unless you're really lucky.

More than that, the start of the game is absolutely filled with axe users, and Bors's low base skill means he has serious accuracy problems. Bors is fighting an uphill battle from the word go, and by the time things are more to his favor, he's fallen behind. 4 move just makes things worse, since it's not like you're getting much out of waiting for him to catch up. Like Wolt, he's force-deployed for the first few maps, so we'll extract whatever value we can out of him.

Level 1 Paladin
Swords - D, Lances - A, Axes - E, Affinity - Ice

HP: 32 (60%)
Strength: 9 (25%)
Skill: 14 (20%)
Speed: 11 (25%)
Luck: 10 (20%)
Defense: 9 (15%)
Resistance: 8 (20%)
Con: 11

Marcus has some of the worst growths in the game, and for being promoted his bases are pretty awful. That said, for this point in the game those bases are great, and he has a lot of uses - weakening enemies, tanking, bailing us out if we get in over our heads. Using him long term is a shaky prospect at best, but Marcus will be of use until everyone else is up to speed. Admittedly, our units will be catching up to him by, like, level 10, but drat if it won't be a great 10 levels.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 16, 2015

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So you made good on your threat, eh?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I did, and I hosed up the thread tag. :smith:

I'll take BLADE MASTER, if one of the mods sees this and pleases.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
This is a thing. Also me and Artix were just talking.... oh yesterday? about how after Melth is done when MoD is done, he might redo it.

The funny thing to me (and him) is that he likes the game, but his LP gave the impression he didn't. He's utterly befuddled that people think he didn't like it.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Do people think I hated FE6 or something? :psyduck: I mean, it has plenty of faults and it was an obvious prototype for 7, but taken as it is I actually really liked it.

Anyway, uh...good luck? Guess that redone FE6 LP can go on the backburner for a while.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Onmi posted:

This is a thing. Also me and Artix were just talking.... oh yesterday? about how after Melth is done when MoD is done, he might redo it.

The funny thing to me (and him) is that he likes the game, but his LP gave the impression he didn't. He's utterly befuddled that people think he didn't like it.

I blame a lot of that on the co-commentary gimmick. When one guy says he doesn't like a part of the game, it comes across as just a bit of criticism, but when two other guys parrot it (because they don't have enough experience with the game to give their own opinions) it seems a lot harsher.

Artix posted:

Anyway, uh...good luck? Guess that redone FE6 LP can go on the backburner for a while.

Hey, I mentioned this in the FE general thread, like, yesterday. Your had your chance. :v:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Endorph posted:

Hey, I mentioned this in the FE general thread, like, yesterday. Your had your chance. :v:

Like straight up, I patched an FE6 rom and was fiddling with recording options for VBA yesterday. :v: I didn't see any point in mentioning it because why would I? I wouldn't even be ready to start it for months.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
poo poo this much Roy at once may very well kill me.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Some errors with the mechanics: Luck doesn't actually contribute to your critical rate and its boost to avoid is the whole value (instead of half), and forests give 1 defense.

Also, that is a good picture of Roy in the first post.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
FE6 is like the blandest of the bland, but it did so many things right with the gameplay in general that it's still pretty good.

One thing I don't get is why Roy's sprite is so awful looking. They put a lot of effort into the sprite work, but it looks like they made him at the last minute or something. He is the only Lord to actually look like he's actually fencing, though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

FE6 made a lot of good decisions but they didn't come together to make a legit good game until FE7. I'm guessing Kaga leaving had something to do with this game feeling pretty uneven compared to what came before and after it.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Artix posted:

Like straight up, I patched an FE6 rom and was fiddling with recording options for VBA yesterday. :v: I didn't see any point in mentioning it because why would I? I wouldn't even be ready to start it for months.
if you do it anyway, you should use some of the quality-of-life hacks it doesn't look like Endorph is using.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Can Of Worms posted:

Some errors with the mechanics: Luck doesn't actually contribute to your critical rate and its boost to avoid is the whole value (instead of half), and forests give 1 defense.

Also, that is a good picture of Roy in the first post.
Thanks, fixed.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Hopefully this will fulfill my contractual obligation to doodle in every FE6 LP.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Hopefully this will fulfill my contractual obligation to doodle in every FE6 LP.

I forgot about the best part of the old LP. :allears:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Also I prefer them using phrases like dastard and the like. Makes me feel like I'm watching a play where everyone is overacting.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

edit: Why did this get posted twice

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Manatee Cannon posted:

Use Wolt and really differentiate yourself from the pack

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Wolt is my milk brother and he's great at everything.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

I would like to preemptively recommend benching Allen because this patch spells his name wrong

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ajkalan posted:

I would like to preemptively recommend benching Allen because this patch spells his name wrong
Boy, you're gonna have a fun time.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Character Analysis: Roy posted:

Roy would be a perfectly fine lord if not for his ridiculously late promotion. As much as people like to complain about his growths, they're actually fairly high for the game he's in, only his defense is truly low, and for the rest he's average to above average. Of course that's not to say that he doesn't have downsides, he's swordlocked, he has low bases, he doesn't have a horse on a large mapped game, and thrones are bullshit. But still, considering all of that he'd do perfectly fine if he promoted at a reasonable time. Due to that, Roy just sort of... fails. Also his promotion doesn't have a new animation.

And that sucks.

Character Analysis: Marcus posted:

Marcus is the perfect Jeigan character. He has good defense, good enough attack that with the weakest weapons he leaves enemies in kill range, he has good utility for movement. Depending on how 'Efficient' you want to complete the game, Marcus is anywhere from pointless to "Literal Deity" While he wont grow, he does the jobs needed to be done until he falls off somewhere around when you get Zealot, who falls off around the end of the Western Isles, where you pick up Percival.

Character Analysis: Allen posted:

Professional Motherfucker No.1 is probably going to wind up good regardless of how the game goes because his massive strength and movement gives him a lot of bonuses, He only needs a bit of speed to catch up to the doubling, and his access to accurate weapons completely negates his lack of skill. Also on promotion he can start slinging around Axes. Also he's a complete idiot and has a hilarious support with Tate where she decides to settle for him and not Klein

Character Analysis: Lance posted:

Professional Motherfucker No.2 has it a bit harder than Allen in my honest opinion. While he can always double, if he doesn't get strength up he'll have to use progressively heavier weapons to make up kills, and his speed wont always mitigate that. Still part of one of the best support pairs in the game. And honestly, as much as everyone hypes up Allen/Lance/Roy, if you're willing to use them, Wade and Lott round them into a nice square of AB/AB/AB/AB Fire/Anima Just have Alance Rescue drop their respective support buddies to the front lines and watch the carnage unfold. Is the only one to completely diffuse Clarines haughtiness by being a completely dapper gentleman.

Character Analysis: Bors posted:

Character Analysis: Wolt posted:

Okay calculate all of Lance and Allen's bases, it comes to 47. Now go calculate Wolt, it comes to 37. If you want to use an Archer. Use a Sniper.

Wolt Ruins Everything

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Roy also has weird stat caps on promotion which make him only ever ok at anything even when he is at his very best.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Manatee Cannon posted:

Roy also has weird stat caps on promotion which make him only ever ok at anything even when he is at his very best.

What are you talking about, man? He's got really neat caps.

Why is it FE6 in particular that does this to me?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Tate secretly being Thany's balloon will always hold a special place in my heart.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

ajkalan posted:

Oh just you wait :allears:

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Ah, Roy... If it weren't for your promotion timing you'd be merely mediocre, just like your daddy (and most of the other lords in the series). But your promotion timing is hot garbage and drags any hint of usefulness into the shitter.

I'm indifferent to this game, really; it's a bit of an awkward point in the series, and I don't really enjoy it as much as the others I've played. v:j:v It's alright enough. I am looking forward to seeing what the patch changes; I've only used the older translation patch.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Leif's promotion felt outright spiteful, so I give Roy the win on that front, even if it's stupidly late.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Will we get cameos from Holy and Marf Santangelo?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Ground Floor

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Trasson posted:

Will we get cameos from Holy and Marf Santangelo?

Behold, Marf, ~15-20 years before FEDDOP.

He ages backwards, you see, like a shoddily palette-swapped Merlin.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Endorph posted:

I did, and I hosed up the thread tag. :smith:

I'll take BLADE MASTER, if one of the mods sees this and pleases.

More Fire Emblem threads! Moooore!

Also sure.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Seriously though. PNG that poo poo. It makes lighter, sharper images in exchange for no downsides whatsoever.

But on a lighter note...

Endorph posted:

It's so gruesome I decided against showing you guys it. Feel free to draw in whatever you think Lance might have done to this guy, though.

...You're right, it was rather gruesome.

Onmi posted:

Also his promotion doesn't have a new animation.

And that sucks.

That animation's kinda awkward though.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

vilkacis posted:

Seriously though. PNG that poo poo. It makes lighter, sharper images in exchange for no downsides whatsoever.

But on a lighter note...

...You're right, it was rather gruesome.

Well we had trouble getting the flash to play on the first slash. But this IS an old gif. And the animator is currently Awol. But hey.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/n64foanhmovp34s/AAA4enAc3zCkymL3r6VF2nQka?dl=0

If you wanna take a crack at it (or the processed useless version of it), be my guest.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Eager to follow the adventures of Roy, the most cowardly of lords.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

vilkacis posted:

For me it's the "lunge forward--stop in a crouch" before the jump into the air. It's awkward and draws things out in a weird way. I imagine it would flow better to just jump after stepping back.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

vilkacis posted:

But on a lighter note...

And on another note you mention multiple messings-up of screencaps, does that entail you're taking them while you're playing instead of the usual record stuff as a video and screencap that? Cause yeah, if so, do the video thing, it makes stuff such easier.

I was very close to doing mspaint nonsense for that very picture, thank you muchly from sparing the world from my attempts :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
It's always so funny to me that people regard Eliwood and Roy as mediocre units on average, because I've only ever played through FE6 and FE7 to completion once each and both times I had blessed Lords. So I've never experienced a mediocre Eliwood or Roy. I'm interested in seeing what a "Same thing, but more positive" thread looks like for a game like FE6.

• Locked thread