Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's our boy?
This poll is closed.
Roy's our boy! 23 19.83%
Roy's our boy! 7 6.03%
Roy's our boy! 14 12.07%
Woaaahhhh! Yea-uuh! 72 62.07%
Total: 116 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
This is a thing. Also me and Artix were just talking.... oh yesterday? about how after Melth is done when MoD is done, he might redo it.

The funny thing to me (and him) is that he likes the game, but his LP gave the impression he didn't. He's utterly befuddled that people think he didn't like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Character Analysis: Roy posted:

Roy would be a perfectly fine lord if not for his ridiculously late promotion. As much as people like to complain about his growths, they're actually fairly high for the game he's in, only his defense is truly low, and for the rest he's average to above average. Of course that's not to say that he doesn't have downsides, he's swordlocked, he has low bases, he doesn't have a horse on a large mapped game, and thrones are bullshit. But still, considering all of that he'd do perfectly fine if he promoted at a reasonable time. Due to that, Roy just sort of... fails. Also his promotion doesn't have a new animation.

And that sucks.

Character Analysis: Marcus posted:

Marcus is the perfect Jeigan character. He has good defense, good enough attack that with the weakest weapons he leaves enemies in kill range, he has good utility for movement. Depending on how 'Efficient' you want to complete the game, Marcus is anywhere from pointless to "Literal Deity" While he wont grow, he does the jobs needed to be done until he falls off somewhere around when you get Zealot, who falls off around the end of the Western Isles, where you pick up Percival.

Character Analysis: Allen posted:

Professional Motherfucker No.1 is probably going to wind up good regardless of how the game goes because his massive strength and movement gives him a lot of bonuses, He only needs a bit of speed to catch up to the doubling, and his access to accurate weapons completely negates his lack of skill. Also on promotion he can start slinging around Axes. Also he's a complete idiot and has a hilarious support with Tate where she decides to settle for him and not Klein

Character Analysis: Lance posted:

Professional Motherfucker No.2 has it a bit harder than Allen in my honest opinion. While he can always double, if he doesn't get strength up he'll have to use progressively heavier weapons to make up kills, and his speed wont always mitigate that. Still part of one of the best support pairs in the game. And honestly, as much as everyone hypes up Allen/Lance/Roy, if you're willing to use them, Wade and Lott round them into a nice square of AB/AB/AB/AB Fire/Anima Just have Alance Rescue drop their respective support buddies to the front lines and watch the carnage unfold. Is the only one to completely diffuse Clarines haughtiness by being a completely dapper gentleman.

Character Analysis: Bors posted:

Character Analysis: Wolt posted:

Okay calculate all of Lance and Allen's bases, it comes to 47. Now go calculate Wolt, it comes to 37. If you want to use an Archer. Use a Sniper.

Wolt Ruins Everything

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

vilkacis posted:

Seriously though. PNG that poo poo. It makes lighter, sharper images in exchange for no downsides whatsoever.

But on a lighter note...

...You're right, it was rather gruesome.

That animation's kinda awkward though.

Well we had trouble getting the flash to play on the first slash. But this IS an old gif. And the animator is currently Awol. But hey.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/n64foanhmovp34s/AAA4enAc3zCkymL3r6VF2nQka?dl=0

If you wanna take a crack at it (or the processed useless version of it), be my guest.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Endorph posted:

Dude, if I compared it to the first map of Lyn's story, FE6's first map would seem even bigger.

Like I'm not sure what you want from me here. No matter what conditions I put for 'first map', FE6 is bigger than them. There's no universe where it isn't, unless you wanna drag FE4 into this, and that game's a special breed. The point I'm trying to make is FE6 has big maps.

In fact, while it never even comes close to it, out of the GBA games FE6 has the largest maximum map size, with 53x80 being around the cap. Where as most games cap out at 24x32

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Wade and Lott are really a tandem thing, as I mentioned before, if you use them with Alance then you are getting

For Allen and Wade - Attack 4/Hit 12.5%/Defense 1.5/ Evasion 20%/ Crit 12.5%/ Crit Evasion 7.5%
For Lance and Lott - Attack 4/Hit 7.5%/Defense 2.5/ Evasion 20%/ Crit 7.5%/ Crit Evasion12.5%

They really help patch one another up (well except for the speed) but they all become much dodgier, much more damage. And they all hit more often which is necessary for the Fighters.

Also, oft overlooked (because they're competing with Deke, Rutger and Gonzales for the Hero Crest) the promotion Bows make them two fo the better bow users in the game. And really that former point? the Hero crest contention? is their biggest damning sin. It's not that they're necessarily that BAD, it's that there's so few promotion items and their competiton is just strictly better.

EDIT: Strictly Better is a problem a few units have really, Why use Sofiya when Ray is strictly better? Why use any of the armor knights when everyone not locked to a bow (and even some of them) are stricly better?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Insurrectionist posted:

The Japanese clearly want him to be called Dieck so Dieck he shall be :colbert: just look at his character-art! Besides, it's an actual name too. Actually I'm really bothered that they changed Dieck to the weird as gently caress Deke but kept Elen instead of Ellen when that's like the #1 most obvious change in the game. Seems very random to me. I mean, if you're gonna change names anyway...

Actually she was Ellen in the old translation.

So it's not that they kept Elen, it's that they looked at the old translation and said "Ellen isn't a name" (Probably because they wanted to change the perfect reasonable Alan to Allen) but yes, want to change Dieck to Deke or Duke (Reminder, the former is a hockey plan, not a name) even though Dieck is a legitimate name.

EDIT: Well the reason for doing so was Brawl, which probably translated it as Deke because his name pretty much is just Diku. So the literal homophone translation is Dick. And since everyone is 12, and they decided we can't just call him Richard... there's never been a Richard in Fire Emblem? Really?

Onmi fucked around with this message at 15:02 on May 18, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Insurrectionist posted:

Yeah, I know since I'm playing with the old translation myself. As you said, Brawl provides the excuse for Deke even though I stand by it being way dumber than Dick/Dieck. That said I'm not sure what kinda reasoning they have for these names, it seems very inconsistent. Elen instead of Ellen seems to be because it's how the character art translates it, and it's a reasonable interpretation of what her name would be in English, despite it being a much rarer name than Ellen and seemingly mostly used in Wales. Similarly Allen seems to have been kept for the same reasons (though to be fair it's not that unknown a name anyway, Allen Iverson and all). But then, what's up with the Thany/Shanna deal?

Just wait until we get to Jerrot.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Fionordequester posted:

Well...I followed the translation patch as it was being developed by Gringe. Basically, his priorities for names were...

"Is there an official localization for it? If there is, then I'll use that official name. If not, I'll decide what they should be".

It sounds arbitrary at first, but, Serenes Forest is absolutely INFAMOUS for getting into these huge rage fests over how someone should be named, so Gringe kind of had to have a "forget the crowd, I'm doing things MY way" mentality in order to not be bogged down by all that. So I don't blame him for anything.

EDIT: Plus, he's set things up so that anyone who doesn't like the changes he made can easily edit the script themselves if I recall correctly.

It's as simple as popping into FEditor and making the change. I don't blame Gringe for what he did, one of the most infamous wars on Serenes was over the name for Samto in FE12, I believe it was Arch who pointed out that his name had no meaning and at the time they had no real localization for it (Samuto is basically what it literally is) and Arch suggested that he instead be called Virgil, since it was a 'cool' name. In any normal world, this would not have been a big deal, in loving Serenes it basically lead to a war. Anyone trying to edit names of anything got you poo poo on hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

SC Bracer posted:

Samto wasn't in fact the guy the Virgil shitstorm happened over. It was Belf, who Blazer in particular wanted a namechange for because it sounded a lot like "barf" to him. Samto had a pretty big debate over him too, as did Sheema for some reason, but never team-destroyingly bad. IIRC Arch retired from the translation team because of the mess surrounding it, but I'm not 100% sure on the details because it was a couple of months before my time.

Right, details are lost. But in short, name changes on Serenes are "a big deal" If you want to see some of this nuttery first hand

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=31780&hl=%2Bthracia+%2Btranslation

Just understand that if you're going to do a project like that, it's best to not do it anywhere near Serenes.

• Locked thread