Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ganty
Jan 8, 2005
Because we want to! Because we want to!

ABOUT VAINGLORY
VAINGLORY IS THE MULTIPLAYER ONLINE BATTLE ARENA (MOBA) PERFECTED FOR TOUCH
Outplay real opponents in this deep, uncompromising real-time MOBA. Fight with lightning-fast controls using powerful heroes. Destroy the enemy Vain crystal and claim glory! Watch the preview video now to see real gameplay of 3-vs-3 multiplayer battles.

Vainglory came out a few months ago and has been patched a lot recently, there are a few new characters but more importantly it's a bit more balanced and a bit less punishing for new players in my opinion.

Official Website for Vainglory
The Roster of Heroes
Vaingloryfire: Build guides and some kind of Wiki.
Live Twitch Streams

The Map

One of the most interesting things about Vainglory is the map design, there's only a single lane, and a huge jungle.The jungle enemies can give you both hp/mp regen along with gold and experience.At each end of the lane are the crystals.This is what you destroy to win the game

The Gold Mine

The Gold Mine will accumulate with gold until the miner is killed, at which time the mine will pay out whatever gold has been gathered to the capturing team. This is a capture-and-hold point just like the Minion Mines. If you maintain control of the Gold Mine, it will pay out gold to your entire team at regular intervals.

Something crazy happens to the Gold Mine once a game has been going for more than 15 minutes. It's pretty exciting.

The Heroes

There are only 14 heroes in this game at the moment. I really like the fact that there are a smaller amount of heroes, in the larger games it takes a long time to feel okay with your character choices, but you can't really go badly wrong in Vainglory because every hero is played often right now.

Should I play?
Yeah! You can play if you have any iPad newer than (or including) the iPad 2, any iphone greater than or equal to the iPhone 5, or any iPod past fifth generation.

My username ingame is Ganty so add me if you want to.I am on the EU servers.Or whatever man.You don't have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doodle_duck_dandy
Sep 20, 2006
started playing as DDD123, enjoying it so far.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I'm BigMo220 on the NA servers. I suck 70% of the time (and slowly falling). Add me.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

So I'm guessing this game is loving impossible to play on an iPhone. Would I be right about this assumption?

Kreczor
Oct 30, 2011

I'd still rather play with medieval knights online then go outside and "hang out".

Ignite Memories posted:

So I'm guessing this game is loving impossible to play on an iPhone. Would I be right about this assumption?

I tried a couple matches on my 5s. I found my phone getting really hot, and when on the train, my ping kept spiking to upwards of 5k ms, so as long as you're okay with those two issues it's not too bad.

If you have a stylus or something, it would make it far easier. Biggest issue I had was using an ability out of it's target range so my character would keep running instead of firing off the ability.

Ganty
Jan 8, 2005

Kreczor posted:

I tried a couple matches on my 5s. I found my phone getting really hot, and when on the train, my ping kept spiking to upwards of 5k ms, so as long as you're okay with those two issues it's not too bad.

If you have a stylus or something, it would make it far easier. Biggest issue I had was using an ability out of it's target range so my character would keep running instead of firing off the ability.

Yeah you should play this game on wifi for sure. I haven't had a lot of trouble playing on my iPod. My iPad does get super hot though.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Vainglory 1.9 is a huge update. But one major additions is guilds: are there enough NA goons playing VG that it would make sense to create a goon squad?

Shoegazing
Jan 29, 2006

I would love to join a goon guild as long as it's not taken too seriously. Could use a good casual group of people to play with.

Edit: Username is Shoegazing if you want to play and/or invite me to a guild.

Shoegazing fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Oct 1, 2015

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
Any other people playing this game?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Tony Homo posted:

Any other people playing this game?

I played it for a bit, but the obscene prices on heroes and obnoxious community (every other match had a dude competing with me for whatever role I picked, spamming thumbs-ups and refusing to work together). So I left for Aces of Aerena (hilariously unpolished mish-mash of DOTA and LoL, with an infuriating control scheme) and Call of Champions (surprisingly well-made game with a unique twist on the laning formula).

For what it's worth, Vainglory is definitely one of the more polished and better phone MOBA's, every patch was reasonable and had good changes, and out of -all- moba's it's probably achieved the best balance betwewn multiple viable attack and ability builds on one hero (ability power one-shot SAW gangsters reprezent).

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
I hate this game and I'm terrible but I can't stop playing. Ingame name is "hamjob", lets's get hosed by krul together.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

ixo posted:

I hate this game and I'm terrible but I can't stop playing. Ingame name is "hamjob", lets's get hosed by krul together.

Same here. In-game as "LidoLido", I play quite a bit in the evenings. Really hate how much champions cost though, it'll take me months to save up for anyone but Ringo unless I want to pay real money, which I do not.

Fun game regardless. I imagine it'd be a lot better on a tablet too but my note 4 is working alright for now.

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon

zeldadude posted:

Same here. In-game as "LidoLido", I play quite a bit in the evenings. Really hate how much champions cost though, it'll take me months to save up for anyone but Ringo unless I want to pay real money, which I do not.

Fun game regardless. I imagine it'd be a lot better on a tablet too but my note 4 is working alright for now.

Same here. I'm Pandanaut in the game, and I've enjoyed using some heroes but seeing how much they cost makes me uneasy about this long term.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Bumping this because I found a way around the game's main problem (99% of random players you'll get as teammates are trolls, small children, go AFK, or are just bad, which leads to 15-30 minutes of agony).

If you've been playing for a few weeks or months, you should have built up a roster of friends from good players you encounter in games. (If you aren't sending friend requests to good players you're doing it wrong.) If a friend is in a guild, you can click on the banner icon to see guild information, including every member of the guild, *whom you can send friend requests to*. Obviously there is some risk to this, since you're going on blind faith that a given player is good. In my experience, people from tier 4/5 up are going to at the very least not be worthless. I went through all of my friends' guilds earlier this week and quickly amassed a few hundred new friends, which makes putting a team together exponentially easier.

This is all much less necessary if you're in a good, full, active guild, but most of us are not so fortunate.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
Good idea. I'll do that later tonight. I've been getting really frustrated with lovely teammates lately. Just can't carry hard enough.

Doesn't help that the 2 randoms seem to always instalock jungle and roam leaving me with my only laner carry, ringo. And now that Ozo is out there's always one on the other team to jump over my entire team and two shot me every team fight. Fun stuff.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

ixo posted:

It seems like a rite of passage for all Vainglory scrubs to try to 1v1 Krul, lose horrifically, then realize Never Solo Krul.

The second rite of passage is realizing ability power God Hand SAW is the most fun you will ever have in a phone MOBA.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 5, 2016

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
CP Rona is hilarious, fully recommended. Weak early game but if you can get some farm her late game burst is ridiculous.

Lately my team mates have both been going mid right off the bat, pinging me like crazy with question marks after they die. Not sure what to do when this happens. If I go mid too then it'll just be a 3v3 stalemate and I won't get any farm. If I try to farm the jungle my teammates die 2v3.. Wish everyone understood the roles.

zeldadude fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Feb 9, 2016

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
I've been getting big time into Vainglory lately and I was wondering if there was a thread, so lo and behold here one is. I'm slowly getting better at the game and Petal is my favourite.

I think the region thing will prevent me from playing with most of y'all though?

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
In my ongoing effort at thread necro, new free hero rotation is out. Ozo, Taka, Rona, Skye, Ardan, and Ringo.

Great timing because I wanted to try Taka out.

Shoegazing
Jan 29, 2006

Taka is really popular and a good player can really be annoying to play against. I've only played him a few times, but he seems pretty fun to use if you can manage to get his strategy down right.

Also good luck on the thread resurrecting, I'm all for it, I need people to play with. Though it is pretty hard to bring to life what has never really been alive.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
I played a couple of games just now and both times did atrociously poorly. A combination of trying new heroes and garbage team-mates.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
I've been playing less because I had to turn in my work phone (galaxy note 4) for two weeks so I've had to play on my lovely HTC one m7. Screen is tiny, it sucks.

When I do play I'm usually playing ranked, getting pissed at lovely team mates. Had a guy go Hybrid krul the other day. Did not work to say the least.

Looking for a cheap iPad mini/air to play this on atm. I found an old Surface tablet I had lying around and thought I could install bluestacks to play VG on it.. but turns out it's the very first surface so it runs Windows RT, making it impossible. Of course.

the auschwitz diet
Mar 19, 2004
I toast mine own alcoholism
This game doesn't seem bad and it's simple enough that the somewhat finnicky controls on a larger phone don't bother me, but for a moba it has less important decisions to make than even heroes of the storm.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
Anyone try the new hero out yet? It looks kind of dumb and annoying to me, I haven't logged in since I got hooked on smite on PS4. still enjoy VG though just hate solo queuing

Ganty
Jan 8, 2005

zeldadude posted:

Anyone try the new hero out yet? It looks kind of dumb and annoying to me, I haven't logged in since I got hooked on smite on PS4. still enjoy VG though just hate solo queuing

Woah. Alpha. Looks awesome. Like Skeleton King from Dota. I should play this game again. I remember it working just okay on iPad 2. Wonder if it's still good.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

zeldadude posted:

still enjoy VG though just hate solo queuing
I added players from tier 4 through tier 6 from guilds my in-game friends were in, then repeated the process a few times as people naturally moved around, and now have 350+ people between my guild and the friends list. Now I never go solo and the game is exponentially less frustrating, though it can still take a few minutes to find people to partner with.

Up to the Elves
Nov 4, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Wow Guys, this Game owns.

Up to the Elves
Nov 4, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
This is A good short balanced moba! I love it! Can't deny it!!!

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
is it still possible to build SAW with full ability power and just oneshot things, or did they gimp that

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

Up to the Elves posted:

Wow Guys, this Game owns.

I agree, for a mobile game it does own, very polished and decently balanced. Wish it had a wider item variety though.

Can't expect a phone game to be as deep as dota 2 though I mean honestly, I never understood hate towards this game. Its a loving mobile game what do you expect, to play a character like Invoker with his 458376 different spells?

Up to the Elves
Nov 4, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Neurolimal posted:

is it still possible to build SAW with full ability power and just oneshot things, or did they gimp that

I see people do that with crystal too, but I play Koshka with only crystal one shot them faster

Up to the Elves
Nov 4, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

zeldadude posted:

I agree, for a mobile game it does own, very polished and decently balanced. Wish it had a wider item variety though.

Can't expect a phone game to be as deep as dota 2 though I mean honestly, I never understood hate towards this game. Its a loving mobile game what do you expect, to play a character like Invoker with his 458376 different spells?

It's best how short it is. Somehow the matches still feel competitive and swingy with such little space and objectives. It's basically dota or league without all the dead time, or a more balanced hots without all the gimmicks.

Up to the Elves
Nov 4, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
And the Champs Own. I'm proud to be an android gamer.

Up to the Elves
Nov 4, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Wow! This is the game that just keeps on giving! Crazy Update, the owns keep on rolling. Don't forget to unlock your Seismic Koshka set everyone!!! 🐸

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
An arc shield only cuts through cowards.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Glad to see the game still going strong with short queues; i checked out some other games I had installed (coughacesofaerena) and they were pretty much dead zones.

Enjoying the return, though I will say theres some serious power creep; Kestrel deals insane poke damage on no cooldown or real costs, Gwen might as well be named Better Ringo, and Skaarf wishes he could deny as much area as Samuel does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I dare you to try to run out of mana as baron. Just try.

• Locked thread