Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Floodkiller posted:

I looked up AceHack after you mentioned it, and I might actually play NetHack again using that. Wow, it does so much for making the game tolerable, like making it so you can't step into lava by accident or accidentally blow up your bag of holding (I've done both on my one winning character, somehow).

The death I was most impressed with achieving was death by being crushed by an exploding drawbridge, so hopefully you die impressively as well ascend!

E:

How long does the test poster store the threads for? I was under the impression it was something temporary, but I'll go dump mine into it if it's something permenant.

Found something called "Nethack 4" while looking for Acehack, it appears to be a neat-lookin' fork of Acehack that includes bugfixes slated for release in the 13 year-old new version of the main game that the devs are totally never actually going to release is just around the corner guys!

Annnnnd the windows installer for it just shoves it in program files and doesn't let you specify anywhere else to put it. And if you move it it breaks it because it can't find files because it only sets the file locations on installation. And as far as I can tell there isn't a file I can alter to point it somewhere else.

Sigh.

It works if I move it back but come on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I'm pretty sure the SSLP test poster is permanent. It definitely lasts for a good long while as I've used it in megathreads before. I can't promise it lasts absolutely forever, I don't really know. But 10 SSLP posts on one page makes it awful busy. Just a thought.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Could try asking the Sandcastle. Also, I'm playing ArmCom for the LP and good grief, this Panther just. will. not. die. :argh:

My Kingdom for a 76L armed Sherman!

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Agent355 posted:

I'm pretty sure the SSLP test poster is permanent. It definitely lasts for a good long while as I've used it in megathreads before. I can't promise it lasts absolutely forever, I don't really know. But 10 SSLP posts on one page makes it awful busy. Just a thought.

Fair enough; I'll just save a backup on my computer (it's not like these Rogue screenshots are size intensive) and transfer them over. I'll also add the suggestion to put SSLPs into the test poster in the OP.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Yah I asked in the sandcastle and they do last forever. Makes it real easy to cut down on the spam if people just post their updates with a banner or something and a link to the test poster.

I'm thinking about doing more DoomRL but I can't find that cool 3d version that was in development when I was doing the old megathread. I can just do more videos of the game itself but I wanted to try and find the 3d thinger.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Agent355 posted:

Yah I asked in the sandcastle and they do last forever. Makes it real easy to cut down on the spam if people just post their updates with a banner or something and a link to the test poster.

I'm thinking about doing more DoomRL but I can't find that cool 3d version that was in development when I was doing the old megathread. I can just do more videos of the game itself but I wanted to try and find the 3d thinger.

Good to know!

Also, I believe the DoomRL 3D version was running through NotEye, but the last adaptation I can find of it was when it was still in ASCII, so I'm not sure if it has been modified to work with the tiles version.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Even though it might be terribly frustrating, I would like to see a successful run of IVAN.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
(I've been playing Nethack literally since I was a kid, although I've never ascended, back before 3.0. Used to post to RGRN, too, back in the day. Spoilers can be had at SteelyPips, or there's the Nethack Wiki.)

Princey posted:

The most powerful monster of a particular type usually gets a purple symbol.

There's actual logic for this: purple usually denotes 'royal' monsters: queen bees, dwarf kings, kobold lords, and so on. This is important to remember because most types don't have 'royal' monsters (e.g. eyes and other floating spheres, imps, jellies, etc.)

Princey posted:

Several food items map to brown, so I can't tell just by looking what kind it is, although my guess would be a food ration.

You can look at objects on the map by pressing the semicolon key, moving the cursor over to the object in question, and pressing the period key. This does not consume any ticks, either, and is a Pro Strat™ (not that I use it very often).

Princey posted:

Those "O"s in the corridors are boulders; we'll be seeing more of them later.

It's a zero, not a capital O. Unless you set your boulder character to be a capital O, that is. (With any luck you won't be seeing actual capital O's for a while yet.) The default is actually `.

(Maybe I should be LPing Nethack too. :v:)

Princey posted:

You'll have to hit the "s" key a bunch to search, which will eventually reveal it.

Pro Strat™: The 'n' key allows you to repeat a command a number of times: 'n10s' will search 10 times, and is almost always the optimal number of turns to do so unless your Wisdom is particularly bad.

Princey posted:

I think it only shows up if you're playing a Valkyrie or a Wizard, although I could be wrong.

Wizards, Valkyries, and elven characters, per src/eat.c.

Aerdan fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 18, 2015

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I already told the story of my dad's first work computer having Rogue on it. funny enough, his second labtop computer ended up with Nethack on in. I spent counteless hours wandering through the game. I was a dumb kid so I never learned from my mistakes, and I think the deepest I ever got was like, level 13? I think my favorite little trick I picked up was training your pet to be a shoplifter.

Princey
Mar 22, 2013

Aerdan posted:

There's actual logic for this: purple usually denotes 'royal' monsters: queen bees, dwarf kings, kobold lords, and so on. This is important to remember because most types don't have 'royal' monsters (e.g. eyes and other floating spheres, imps, jellies, etc.)

Makes sense! Although it's annoying that kobold lords get purple because kobold kings don't exist, while lords of most other species get blue, like dwarf lords and gnome lords.

Aerdan posted:

You can look at objects on the map by pressing the semicolon key, moving the cursor over to the object in question, and pressing the period key. This does not consume any ticks, either, and is a Pro Strat™ (not that I use it very often).

It's a zero, not a capital O. Unless you set your boulder character to be a capital O, that is. (With any luck you won't be seeing actual capital O's for a while yet.) The default is actually `.

(Maybe I should be LPing Nethack too. :v:)

Pro Strat™: The 'n' key allows you to repeat a command a number of times: 'n10s' will search 10 times, and is almost always the optimal number of turns to do so unless your Wisdom is particularly bad.

For what it's worth I do know these things, haha. (Capital O is for Ogre, for anyone wondering, I just had a brainfart. I'll go back and change that). I suppose that would've been a good place to explain the look command, but since the room and the food were non-threatening it was just as easy to walk over there.

I tend to mash the S key when trying to find hidden doors, although this isn't the wisest move. I use the repeat command when waiting out things like blindness (which should come up in the next update).

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010

Glazius posted:

Even though it might be terribly frustrating, I would like to see a successful run of IVAN.

I'm committed to posting a winning run. If it get's really bad I'll stop using any personal conducts and should be able to more easily get a win, albeit as an angel hair limbed half man, half Neiman Marcus monster.

Link to SSLP:

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=22839

A few highlights from the (failed but pretty close to victory) run:

Big Sean fucked around with this message at 06:41 on May 18, 2015

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Real quick like don't timg your images it's frustrating for those trying to read it having to click on each picture to look at it. The screenshot test post thing is just another website hosted by baldurk with the same formatting rules as SA, so just make your post copy it into the text box here: http://lpix.org/sslptest/ and then post the link to the page you get when you submit it there. It'll look like this http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=22838

Note that I didn't remove the timg tags so the images are still tiny in the version I linked, but thats something you could easily do in the future and people would get a nice easy way to read your LP as well as an easy way to peruse the thread.

I hope I'm not coming off too demanding or w/e, it's not my thread to manage, I just really like roguelikes and will be following this thread so I thought I'd just put my two cents in.

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010

Agent355 posted:

Real quick like don't timg your images it's frustrating for those trying to read it having to click on each picture to look at it. The screenshot test post thing is just another website hosted by baldurk with the same formatting rules as SA, so just make your post copy it into the text box here: http://lpix.org/sslptest/ and then post the link to the page you get when you submit it there. It'll look like this http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=22838

Note that I didn't remove the timg tags so the images are still tiny in the version I linked, but thats something you could easily do in the future and people would get a nice easy way to read your LP as well as an easy way to peruse the thread.

I hope I'm not coming off too demanding or w/e, it's not my thread to manage, I just really like roguelikes and will be following this thread so I thought I'd just put my two cents in.

No its cool I'd like to do whatever makes for the best read so will update my post.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Yeah, that's much better. Great work so far.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Update 1: Starting a new game and DIE, PANTHER, DIE!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Holy poo poo ADoM has tiles now :aaaaa: I'll clear some time tonight and post some episodes as a long-ago-player coming back and kinda newbie to the new mode.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I feel somewhat overwhelmed. You people really like your roguelikes, dont you?

fadderman
Feb 3, 2008
dyslectic lurker

Sorry sir for the not keeping up the ROF

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

paradoxGentleman posted:

I feel somewhat overwhelmed. You people really like your roguelikes, dont you?

:shobon:

The thing I like about Roguelikes, especially in the context of streaming/Let's Play type of stuff, is that it can be different every time. It's a different experience each way through, and a knowledgeable player often has some really interesting things to say about quirks in the system, and observable patterns that emerge in the gameplay.

Especially for somebody like me, who loves playing Roguelikes/Rogue-lites/Procedural Death Labyrinths, but ranges in skill from "mediocre" to "passable", depending on the game, it's really fascinating to watch somebody who can speedrun a game like this if they want to.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Is it worth doing a DoomRL run for this thread if I'm not particularly good at the game? I've beaten it a few times on HNTR. I could definitely write a lot of words on how it's played though.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Dross posted:

Is it worth doing a DoomRL run for this thread if I'm not particularly good at the game? I've beaten it a few times on HNTR. I could definitely write a lot of words on how it's played though.

Do it.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Almost 4/5ths of the AT shells were used in that one battle? How is the tank going to make it through the next battle, much less the rest of the field? :stare:

Dross posted:

If you feel like playing DoomRL, :justpost:. Even if you aren't an expert, explaining the basics means that somebody who knows more can focus on advanced tactics and gameplay (or expand on what's already there).

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Floodkiller posted:

Almost 4/5ths of the AT shells were used in that one battle? How is the tank going to make it through the next battle, much less the rest of the field? :stare:

Remember that one action he can take is to order a resupply.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

senrath posted:

Remember that one action he can take is to order a resupply.

Ah, I missed that.

Still, it says 'attempt' resupply, and it takes an hour. If every single battle ends up being one that requires a resupply (like that one), how close to sundown will it be by the time the offensive gets to the exit?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

It sounds like this battle was an extreme anomaly, most won't take this long or use this much ammo before one side dies.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, we can just call in a resupply, I'm not sure if it has a random chance of failure in ArmCom, but in Patton's Best it was a 70% chance of success, so we shouldn't have too much trouble.

senrath posted:

It sounds like this battle was an extreme anomaly, most won't take this long or use this much ammo before one side dies.

It rather was! Battles can last that long if enemy reinforcement events keep popping up, but expending that much ammo on a single target is pretty uncommon. Normally it would only be a handful of turns before I kill it via one of those side shots, friendly action would kill it, or it would decided to actually shoot at me and blown me away pretty easily. That said, I was being pretty liberal with my ammunition there, but mostly because I'd never had a fight draw out like that before!

Honestly the thing that stings the most is we ended that fight with negative six victory points. Actually, nevermind, what really stings the most is the knowledge that if I had shot that Panther early on instead of the loving Marder, I probably would've killed it. I just know I would've! Of course, fate being cruel as it is, that just means the Marder probably would've killed me. :v:

Could've been worse I guess, could've been Tigers.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 18, 2015

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

You have to play as mentok, the mindcrafter orc. He never got to truly live in my LP.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Dross posted:

Do it.

I've actually been trying to record a HNTR all-secret-levels run for this thread and have so far splatted three characters in the attempt.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

ToxicFrog posted:

Do it.

I've actually been trying to record a HNTR all-secret-levels run for this thread and have so far splatted three characters in the attempt.

Yeah I'm always trying to get 100% kills so just this last time I died in the Chained Court because I foolishly neglected to use my rockets.

This is also my first return to DoomRL in about 18 months so I'm a bit rusty.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Dross posted:

Yeah I'm always trying to get 100% kills so just this last time I died in the Chained Court because I foolishly neglected to use my rockets.

I'm always paranoid about saving rockets for The Wall/Containment Area after getting an early rocket launcher.

...until I remember that it got moved to Act 2 and that there are rockets on the bruiser brother's level :doh:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

quote:

the red text is a random special starting event
That one's not actually random, you'll always get it in a game started on a Monday. :eng101:
Also reading scrolls with low literacy won't make them explode on your face, you just have a high chance of failing to read it. Spellbooks on the other hand...

ps. If you don't want me being a pedantic rear end about your ADOM posts just say so and I'll shut up. :shobon:

e: Oh, and might I suggest you show off one of the new races and/or classes added since the kickstarter versions? ie. Mist Elf/Ratling and Chaos Knight/Duelist respectively.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 18, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Update 2: Day 1 concluded. Pack it in, Pak!

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Episode 1 - Youtube

A genre mash of rhythm games and roguelikes

Permadeath, randomly generated floors, bosses, random loot, classes, demanding difficulty. This game is a roguelike, the big twist of it is that in you have to play the game to the time of the music that plays, enemies move on beats, you are only allowed to take action on beats as well. You are rewarded with a coin multiplier for keeping the rhythm going and you lose it when you get hit or bump into a wall or fail to move on a beat. Even entering commands out of synch with the song will cause you to stutter step and lose your multiplier.

I enjoy this game because it forces you to think very quickly when most roguelikes encourage a slow plodding methodical approach. It's something new and different and the music is :krad:

This is an introductory video, it's short and to the point and representative of whats to come. There is a ton of content in this game, and while it starts off pretty easy (despite how I make it look) it gets hella demanding later on and you can watch me struggle through it in video form.

When we get to real difficult content that I have to spend hours practicing in order to actually come up with a good video I may even stream the practice runs for people to laugh at. Thats for later though, right now put some headphones on and listen to the music of the dungeon.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Princey posted:

Awesome! Looks like I'm setting up camp in this thread from now until it dies. Might try my hand at a Nethack LP if I can get up the nerve.

Do it hardcore and make a SLASHEM LP. Or don't, if you value good taste and sanity.

Agent355 posted:

Necrodancer

Aww yiss, I could really use some Necrodancer strats. I've made it to zone 4 once and never again since.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Eschatos posted:

Aww yiss, I could really use some Necrodancer strats. I've made it to zone 4 once and never again since.

Get good at All Zones mode. Carrying extra gear from previous levels makes things a ton easier, compared to starting naked in zone whatever with a dagger and a bomb.

Weapons that give you extra range (spears, longswords, bows, crossbows) are your best bet; exotic weapons like the rapier, flail, and cat-o-nine-tails have their uses but they're a little tricky and can get you hurt easily. Being able to deal more than 1 damage per blow is also very useful (titanium/obsidian weapons, Ring of Courage/War, Boots of Strength).

Remember you can use bombs to get extra cash from the walls of shops. The shopkeeper doesn't care. Zone 2 will occasionally spawn exploding mushrooms in the corners of shops, for that matter. You can also bomb shrines for items, both before and after using them.

If you see a 5x5 rectangle of level-2 walls, there may be a potion inside. Potions are basically extra lives, so get 'em.

Explorer's Boots and Boots of Levitation both protect you from terrain effects, making zone 3 a hell of a lot safer. There aren't that many boot types, so buying a random pair of boots from the appropriate hidden shop can be a good gamble.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Dross posted:

I usually try to be clever in the Court and shotgun things into the lava, but as soon as the Master shows up it's all rockets all the time until he's dead.

My most recent character I actually lost due to missing five shots in a row against the Master. :argh:

And yeah, I always try for 100% kills, which is probably why I die so often and why I'll never get any of the speedrun badges.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

The furthest I've gotten so far in Necrodancer has been to the room right outside the Necrodancer boss fight as Cadence, where I proceeded to accidentally bombed myself :negative:

By the way, the video looks like it's running a bit choppy. It's not a big deal (I'm only really noticing it because it's a rhythm game), just wanted to mention it.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Agent355 posted:

You have to play as mentok, the mindcrafter orc. He never got to truly live in my LP.
As if he's gonna survive long with my mindcrafting skills :haw: but I'll keep him in mind.

Wafflecopper posted:

That one's not actually random, you'll always get it in a game started on a Monday. :eng101:
Also reading scrolls with low literacy won't make them explode on your face, you just have a high chance of failing to read it. Spellbooks on the other hand...

ps. If you don't want me being a pedantic rear end about your ADOM posts just say so and I'll shut up. :shobon:

e: Oh, and might I suggest you show off one of the new races and/or classes added since the kickstarter versions? ie. Mist Elf/Ratling and Chaos Knight/Duelist respectively.

Yeah, I noticed the pattern after I started another 2 characters :v:
As for scrolls/books, I'm deliberately not spoiling myself on the exact mechanics, feels more natural that way even if less effective.
And yeah, I plan to cover at least the mist elf and chaos knight after I'm done with the basic archetypes.
...wait, Kickstarter? How the gently caress did I miss it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

"Perhaps in the future the dev will give them anti-tank capability in the form of Panzerfausts or Panzerschreks"

Me and my big mouth, guess what the Dev just added in today's update?

Rev_Sudasana posted:

Uploaded 6.8, which adds Panzerfaust attacks!

:ohdear:

• Locked thread