Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The most powerful weapon in IVAN (albeit one that requires wizmode to get) is a whip made of Pepsi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The big trick is that the scaling function mostly considers your hp so items that give +max hp and not much else will get you murdered even more horribly than usual.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Welp, I was gonna show off GearHead but it looks like it doesn't work under Windows 8.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Just use overdose mode and call it a day.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

You ain't seen nothin yet.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I'd have so hoarded one of those sniper packs in case I got another power mod. Plasmatic shrapnel would have made the shamblers a lot more manageable.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Gun Kata is hilarious in AoMC.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dross posted:

I feel like AoMC is actually easier than vanilla.

Well, in this case a pair of high power pistols will kill anything smaller than an archvile without having to manually reload.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

My favorite stupid ToME4 overkill picture.

By that point his name was a bit obsolete, as he had become Grandpa Nurgle's favorite son.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I don't think they ever did much to nerf the disease tree and that particular image is an obscure interaction with a prodigy no one takes.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I never figured it out 100% but Catalepsy converts disease DoTs into (higher, crittable) direct damage and Endless Woes has a chance to convert direct blight damage into a (higher, crittable) disease DoT. Some fluke of timing then causes Catalepsy to convert the Endless Woes disease again in the same action. I think it has something to do with Epidemic.causing the Endless Woes disease to spread.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Has anyone managed to get a Gargulec Cross yet?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ramc posted:

I really like the idea of Incursion from playing 3rd ed as a teen with friends, but it breaks my heart that it is so unfinished, unbalanced and unattended.

The source was opened up a while back (under 3 different phrasings of CC0 and also the Apache License) but nothing's come out it besides a few bugfixes and making it so you don't need half a dozen decade old compilers to build.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

CheeseThief posted:

I've been reading the Rogue Megathreads on and off for a while not and I'm left with one burning question:

What the hell is a yeek? I have genuinely never heard of this thing in more than 20 years of being a fan of fantasy stuff and google, at best, gives me a ToME stat page with no fluff.

I think they were babby's first piss weak humanoid enemies in Angband and then ToME made them into psychic dogpeople or something. They never had a description besides "strange small humanoid"

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 7, 2015

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The other problem with Ziggurat is that the initial weapon pool is super boring and the first class you're likely to unlock just buffs the starting peashooter.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Sorites posted:

I think ToME4 is an example of a game that handles unlocks exactly wrong. The availability of a class seems tied to lore (even the standard fantasy mage class is locked, because that matches the lore no one reads) rather than complexity or difficulty. The game doesn't start you off with the simple-but-middling classes and train you onto the complex-but-promising ones; it just commits to "Our wizards are different" and ends up saddling newbies with the weird stuff.

Unless it's changed in the years since I last have a fresh profile, the starter classes are dead simple stuff like alchemist, archer and a couple heavy armor bashers. The first couple of classes you'll likely unlock (archmage and cursed) are a bit more complex but not dreadfully so and for the most part class unlocks tend to increase in complexity the farther in you, though buffs and redesigns over the years can change that a bit and the most straightforward mage is locked behind a fairly late quest.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

And then there's the ones with shadowblade levels that you don't see til they splatter your guts across a quarter mile radius.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

ousire posted:

Jesus christ, getting that rocket launcher plus the ammo perk is just brutal. You cleaned out those first few mechs like it was nothing.The hubris is real.

Rare weapons in general are brutal as all hell but rockets are just win buttons.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

All that talk of hubris and then wimping out on the collection missions :v:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Enjoy your win. You'd have to screw up royally not to get one out of that ridiculous boss drop.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

In earlier versions the rare weapons also cost less coolant so you could really spam the hell out of them.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Omobono posted:

Is it just me, or the -1 ammo augment can single-handedly salvage a run, nevermind one where Evil duFrenchy drops what is probably the second best weapon in the game?

Probably. The encounters really aren't build around being able to outright spam attacks. It's part of why they nerfed the hell out of the abilities that give free link and overdrive nodes for big matches. But you can still end up with a setup that lets you fire 3 or 4 rockets for the price of one on demand.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Right now convoy feels like large railguns and shields: the game. They chew up everything and have enough armor piercing to handle the boss without having to resort to plasma cannons that can't touch health once they've gotten through the armor. Ignoring shields is just icing on the cake.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

There's a general mod that gives you a bonus to firing while overheated. That kinda counts.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Fun bit of trivia: There used to be a list of ways to die on turn one in Nethack, which had at least a couple dozen entries. While I can't find that list anymore, there's apparently a video on tasvideos.org made exclusively to prove that it is actually possible to die on turn zero. It takes an incredible swing of chance, but a character with low enough health who spawns over a cross-aligned unintelligent artifact (because none of the intelligent artifacts could spawn at depth 1 level 1, apparently) could automatically pick the item up because that's the default option for autopickup and, by chance, get blasted by the artifact's power and die. The in-game turn counter will say one, but your tombstone will correctly record that you died on turn 0.

Nethack is rarely QUITE that unfair, but there's a reason its reputation went on to launch games like IVAN.

Non-Exhaustive list of ways a character COULD accidentally die on turn one, many of which I've achieved myself:

-Zap a wand to try it out and accidentally bounce it into yourself. This is unlikely, since in the base game only wizards start with a wand, if I'm not mistaken, and you should know about bouncing, but the autopickup example above does demonstrate that any item that CAN generate on the first floor could end up in your inventory if you didn't twiddle with config files.

-Kick a trapped door.

-Open/kick/force a trapped chest

-Take one step onto a pit trap, roll the chance for spikes, roll the chance for poison, and without poison resistance, automatically die.

-Attempt to mount your steed and fail. This one has killed many a knight.

-Take one step onto a falling rock trap with no starting helmet and bad hp. More common in Slashem iirc.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, both bosses had their rapid fire guns reduced shots and increased damage in the patch that nerfed basically everything but rockets and energy weapons.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

surprised you didn't go for blessed greased fixed +2 whateverDSM since your dragon hunting wasn't giving you any.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Angry Diplomat posted:

Is it possible to eat Demogorgon? If so, please eat Demogorgon.

Pretty sure demons in general don't drop corpses. Demogorgon definitely doesn't.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Speaking of Magicbane, I'm surprised he enchanted his so high. The good effects start phasing out in favor of probing after +2

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Natalya Fartz posted:

You trade the effects out for straight damage with a higher enchantment. Not necessarily the worst thing when you are no longer vulnerable to dying.

But if he wanted to trade out for damage there's about a dozen artifacts he could wish for that do a better job :v:

Esme posted:

Are the effects even that useful in the late game? I can see how scaring might come in handy on the Astral Plane, but other than that I'd think higher damage would be more useful. But then as a wizard your big damage dealer probably shouldn't be your melee weapon anyway I guess. In any case, the correct option is to play an archaeologist and double wield Magicbane and a silver saber.

I'm enjoying these Nethack and Slashem playthroughs, but I miss the guy who was trying to do Nethack blind. :(

Stunning and cancelling are pretty nice.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Unormal posted:

"Sproggiwood's fun and cute, but it's soooooo easyyyy", they said. :yarr:

I mostly said that back when weapons of biting frost guaranteed a win :v:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Biting Frost was amazingly overpowered for a while but freeze effects got nerfed hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Pladdicus posted:

Didn't they update with the death of Terry Pratchet?

Begone foul necromancer

• Locked thread