Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Princey posted:

Looking forward to this. I think the last I heard about IVAN was that it was nigh-impossible to win because of the way the game scaled.

I remember two things about ivan, what you said and that you could end up with limbs made of puke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I reinstalled eldritch because of Grim's new playthrough building my confidence. My stealth game is not Grim's, though.
Third level seems easier than second, second has so many enemies that are just plain unkillable. I keep getting swarmed by mummies (apparently that's what the "gasps" are according to the wiki). It's like if you get just a little too much bad luck with open areas and statues and mummies (or if your "oo shiny loot" sense outweighs your caution, like mine, I am a bad roguelike player) then you will die. I DID make it through Halloween world once, though.
Also you get a cheivo for blowing up a statue with dynamite.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
two more tries at eldritch: Yesterday, I managed to get all the way through to the end of Cthullu only to be killed from 6 health when I challenged a polyp straight on instead of hypnotizing it or sniping it

Today, had a dagon run that ended with me having 40 bullets, 6 health, stealth boots, and brick powers. Got killed by hoards of statues the first floor of the first Nyarlohotep level.

I think this is a roguelike, alright.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I beat Eldritch!

I'll leave getting the great ending to Grimwit. I don't like the idea of traversing that final level without the stealth boots. Those are the best boots.

I found out the hard way that if you have speed boots you take damage from spikes even if you're "walking". do not take speed boots.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Well good luck with true ending run on hard mode
Sounds pretty tough, I didn't know there was a hard mode, tried it and got mobbed by shoggoths first level. (My winning strategy normal game was to loot dagon floor 1 for supplies and then go back the library and take on the harder levels, won't work here because Dagon Floor one is now barren of items and full of shoggoths)

Also I took your advice and closed a door on a shoggoth chasing me, it just opened it and kept at me :argh:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Cool. Note about the DLC: Not only are there are special items for them, there are special god statues for them. In the Asylum I found one that turns monsters into souls for a hefty price (even gasps). In the mountains of madness there's one that makes a flare as a distraction and one that summons a shoggoth. Not even a friendly shoggoth, it will eat you if you're the only thing around. Briefly checked and those are the only ones but thought that was interesting.

Also I once found the climbing boots in nyarlahotep in a section that always has free boots.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I almost feel like paying full price to play ironcast after the first few videos just because I was mentally yelling at jadecat a lot for poor decisions in the matching game.

It does look like a very interesting game though.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Grimwit posted:

Alright, this is the last episode.
For now. I might return. Donno.

Part 9, Life 8, A Box of Holy

As always, my OP is updated.

brian hume here has some interesting tips, I had never thought to check out under the Dagon pyramid.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Caught up on the convoy videos and I'm kind of anti-sold.
Battles look kind of neat, but the text events are really stupid. And answering wrong on a silly text event should not kill your run, that is not acceptable.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
since I started the fire:

I don't pay full attention to videos a lot of the time, so it's my fault for not reading the text box and noticing it was giving warnings. :(
Still, most of the text boxes I did see were kinda... "quirky", so I guess I wasn't giving it the benefit of the doubt at the time.

I like text events when they feel like full adventures. I'm a big fan of FTL's. I think their text boxes fit the motifs and feel like mini-star-trek adventures, I like them. Convoy has many like those like rescuing slavers. But then you get ones about investigating barrels or Marylin Vos Savant game shows or towns of weird people. I also recently read the Yawhg thing and liked it. I think text events are just going to be a thing that some people like and some don't no matter what, and which ones I prefer is not something I'm sure I can articulate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I honestly know a lot of ipad roguelikes to present (hoplite, 868 hack, dream quest, dungeonmans, ending...) but don't know how to record off a computer much less an ipad. I'll totally learn though. someday.

• Locked thread