Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
I was going to do an IVAN lp because I didnt think anyone else would be crazy enough to do it! Instead I guess Ill probably give Caves of Qud or some other roguelike a try. For what its worth you didnt talk about the glitch with the librarian shop keeper so Ill mention it briefly here. You can sell scrolls and books to the librarian and then kick them out the door and the shopkeeper loses posession of them so you can sell them to them again. It means you can buy out their entire inventory and also have enough gold to buy anything you'd want from the shops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
Most of the difficulty of IVAN comes from the fact that your character is incredibly fragile even if your gear is good and your stats are high. It doesn't matter if you have thousands of HP if some fucker comes and stabs you in the groin doing 2 damage but killing you anyways because well you got stabbed in the groin, oh and there's no armor for the groin so enjoy the fact that you're liable to get hosed no matter what! A lot of the game isn't hard its just unfair, it scales poorly, and the fragility of your character makes it awful. You can game the system in a lot of ways to avoid the stuff people normally complain about; namely you can drop all your gear on the ground before you go down a set of stairs. Since levels are generated when you walk on a set of stairs those stronger enemies won't spawn since your equipment isn't registered. It won't stop the prefixed encounters from murdering you anyways like the dark frog sages on GC 8 murdering you with magic from across the map when you can't see them, but its a mitigating factor. The game is technically winnable, but it requires playing in dumb ways and doing a lot of boring poo poo.

Basically IVAN isn't a game you play to beat because a bunch of the underlying systems are broken in unfun ways. It's a game people recommend you play to have fun with the neat alchemy, gods, and limb system to gently caress around and enjoy kicking things to death with your adamantium legs or get lucky and stumble into summoning an archangel to murder a boss.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Someone should do Caves of Qud. I lucked out and got one of the steam beta keys posted in the RL a while back, but I took one look at all the crazy options and my eyes just kinda glazed over in confusion. Tried one character and was randomly murdered by the guy I think I was supposed to get the beginning quest from. Not sure why, but certainly a very Roguelike way to die for the first time!

Yeah I started a caves of qud run, Im not an expert, never having been past bethesda, but I was planning on at least showing off a basic introduction with an esper run. If someone wanted to do a true man run it would be cool to show how differently they play, especially with the tinkering system.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
Id say its worth just elosnacking a character for Elona+, but you might also want to show off various tricks and tips to get through the grind in as painless a way as possible without just cheating a character.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Wafflecopper posted:

I'm think of doing an ADOM ultra-ending attempt LP. What's a good way to screencap ADOM? Printscreen and paste into paint is way too much work cropping my desktop out of every shot, gently caress that noise.

Use irfanview.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
So these DoomRL got me to try playing the game again and I just got a full victory on hurt me plenty. I wasn't intending to go for a conqueror run, but I ended up rolling almost all the variants of special levels that I hadn't seen before. Apparently I missed a single enemy in the Abyssal plains and hosed up my 100% kill and conqueror badges as a result. :negative:

I did get a VBFG, a Nuclear BFG, and a BFG 10k though, that was a lot of fun.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Air is lava! posted:

Did you have really high luck to get that angel hair arm or is that a common way to earn such a strength? And for refference, what's the strength limit, since it's obviously above the wisdom limit.

What material you harden something into is essentially based off of its basic material (was it cloth? Metal? Flesh?) and how high your intelligence is. As long as you hit a base line stat level then you'll always change it to a certain minimum material type. Since Screamy's intelligence is so ridiculous it jumped to the highest base cloth material.

E: Actually angel hair might be the second highest, I can't remember how it compares to phoenix feather.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Dross posted:

I am confused by how many agility packs you left on the ground while having unmodded boots. I also am not as good at this game as you so maybe you know something I don't.

Theres a lot of restrictions with modding equipment, I cant remember all the rules off the top of my head (so this may be wrong) but I dont think most uniques can have mods applied to them.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Yapping Eevee posted:

Browsing my Steam page, I've been alerted to Sproggiwood, another game from the creators of Caves of Qud. It looks adorable, and it's 35% off for the next 15 hours. :allears: Looks like it's a more casual sort of game, but might be worth grabbing and giving it a try.

Looks are deceptive when you're playing on savage difficulty. Normal should be beatable by any thread regular, but savage is a whole nother ball game.

Edit: I thought this was the roguelike thread not the LP thread. :v:

Lilli fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 1, 2015

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Floodkiller posted:

I actually just finished recording the last of my blind Savage playthrough of the game for the thread, and I felt it was pretty easy compared to other roguelikes I've played even though Ghostfen's wisps threw me for a loop for a while...

I'm not saying that's a bad thing though, it's still definitely worth picking up (especially at 35% off)! I should have a couple updates out this week if I get the time to do some editing!

Yeah it's definitely more manageable than some of the other games in here, but I think thats 90% because it makes the systems of the game inherently clear and there's relatively little randomization. It's well made and straight forward, in my opinion, which is a good thing.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

ZeeToo posted:

A couple of different suggestions: Sproggiwood (get it on Steam), and Smart Kobold. Sproggiwood is practically intended as baby's first roguelike. It's comparatively user-friendly and simple to understand the logic of compared to many of the involved games we see shown off here. On anything but the easiest difficulty, it's also going to suddenly start kicking your rear end when you aren't expecting it, though. The new Savage mode is probably too much for someone new to the genre, so try the middle one

Smart Kobold is a much shorter game and... honestly, I would adore seeing someone try to play this without knowing the intended strategy ahead of time. Go into a fairly small dungeon with only a handful of tools, try to depopulate the kobolds before they get to you. The AI is the real enemy, as you might guess; it's a lot more tuned to hurt you than many roguelike foes.

The advantage of both of these is that they'll give you a chance to find your footing and advance a bit, so it's not completely frustrating, and then they'll sucker punch you right when you think you've got the idea.

I was so proud when I figured out how to play smart kobold.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Glazius posted:

Do you grab stamina stars from spawned-in enemies, or do thy give absolutely nothing?

As of last version I played spawned in enemies still gave stars.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
Sounds like Biskup made his game even more lovely and boring.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

uPen posted:

This is one of the coolest things about webtiles in Crawl.

What happened on webtiles? I havent played crawl online since .11 or so.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

bathroomrage posted:

Player ghosts, I imagine is what uPen is talking about.

Fair enough, I wasnt sure if there was some kind of change on webtiles where spectators could sieze control of enemies.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

ousire posted:

That's good to know! I'll keep my eye out for it. Is the price known yet?

I believe Unormal said $10, but don't quote me on that.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

KillHour posted:

I disagree with the idea that a roguelike should have "gently caress you" traps like the ones in ADOM. It's one thing for the game to make sure you're paying attention, but another for the game to be based largely on trial and error. It's the reason Crawl is pretty much the only traditional roguelike I can stand.

Not empty quoting this.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
Basically my biggest gripe with gently caress you mechanics in roguelikes is that theyre often very long games and its generally a case of an arbitrary knowledge gap. Have you seen this death before/did you read spoilers? Alright you get to continue playing the game! Otherwise lose the last 6 hours of your life in a completely unsatisfying manner. The combination of long games with permadeath and gotcha instadeath mechanics is an absolute dealbreaker for me. Its the reason Ive never been able to get into any of the traditional roguelikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
Sounded like one of the dreams in the solipsist zone.

• Locked thread