Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
The same trick can be performed in the first village and kicking the bananas from where the slaves drop them to the corner for an infinite supply of food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Green Intern posted:

If people are getting decapitated from falling over, maybe they are already seriously ill. It was a mercy killing.

A single banana peel will bruise you (maybe knock you unconscious if you're unlucky!), yes. However, the game calculates all the slippings from the pile of peels in a tile to determine how much of a tumble you take. Five is a nasty spill, 10 is having you spin multiple times in the air before hitting the ground hard. Limbs flying off after that is rather understandable.

Also vomit is useful because of that stacking effect. :unsmigghh:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

There's always money in the banana stand. :v:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Be aware that trying to smash a spitter zombie corpse will result in an acid explosion if for whatever reason they didn't melt in their death acid puddle.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Another Death, Oh My.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Aggressors Dead, Opening Markets!

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

It's coded as an animal but fairly territorial and ornery. It has no qualms about coming up to you and trampling you dead if it wants to.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Pumpkins and scarecrow are my go to skills for the farmer, though the latter needs all three levels to become godly. Bombs already is cost efficient from one point and helps immensely during Savage mode. Nothing like constant explosions keeping your stamina maxed out for using your ult if hp drops too low.

Farmer is one of the classes that can pretty much coast through Savage without being screwed by RNG

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Yeah, I'm not going to bash pitchforks because I haven't tried to build around it. And there's certainly creative uses built into some of the items.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Ghostwoods posted:

Are people actually supposed to be able to play this? I mean, if every encounter boils down to "run or die", why not just make every level a small room with 50% instakill tiles and call it a day?

Because adversarial DMs don't want to just go "and rocks fall, everyone reroll your characters," they want to break your spirit by whittling away at your sanity. For example, those traps that are marked as . to blend into the floor. Or traps that scatter all your items across the entire floor. Or traps that in general break the usual expectations of damage caps. Or summoners whose spawn will have a chance to outspeed you and take a turn with their level-enhanced breaths for insta-death. So many 'little' things you have to account for add up to where a slip up leads to a cascade of failures. There the DM grins fiendishly and tumbles out a cascade of dice, resulting in "well, your character is now a smoking hole in the ground. You were so close!"

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jun 19, 2015

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

And you can be corrupted in turn by their attacks! Don't become a writhing mass of primal chaos, it's a sad end.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

I tended to hold off on the discount upgrade when I was playing through Sproggiwood; boring but useful items such as the flaming weapons and healing potions were cheap enough as is. You might have an argument for armour but you first have to find the good stuff first. And straight HP increase with no modifiers are also pretty cheap, not to mention you could get the HP increase upgrade instead to enhance all characters for greater effectiveness!

Experience upgrade is probably the most important of the lot, though, especially in Savage. Levels give you more tools to kill/avoid things, letting that HP pool stretch out further.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Jedit posted:

Which Ultra Ending are you going for? I can't remember if you crowned as Lawful or Neutral.

Early in Episode 13 he got crowned as Neutral.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

That's really no worse than the contemporary rogue-likes of that day. Smiting from gods in Nethack could result in a similar outcome if they were sufficiently angered:

quote:

The god zaps you with a fatal lightning bolt.[7]

If you are engulfed by a monster lacking shock-resistance, it dies. (Reflection will not save it)
If you are not engulfed, and you have neither shock resistance nor reflection, you die.

If you survive for any reason, "<god> is not deterred..." and the god zaps you with a wide-angle disintegration beam.

If you are still engulfed and the monster lacks disintegration resistance, the monster dies.
If you are not engulfed, and do not have disintegration resistance, you die.

Being hit by a wide-angle disintegration beam will also destroy your shield, cloak, body armor and shirt, even if you are disintegration-resistant. However, items that provide reflection or disintegration resistance will be unaffected, as will items worn under another item that grants it (such as a shirt worn under silver dragon scale mail). Reflection will not protect you from the disintegration beam, however.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Or if you're about to ascend, they'll send a few minions after you. Getting off their arse and giving you a personal beating would likely end in *their* death rather than yours.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

I can't recall any roguelike that has that. There's definitely flavour messages for taking fatal damage (due to falling) taking a down stairs while being burdened with the weight of your inventory, like Nethack or ADOM.

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup used to have 0 stat insta-deaths if you were drained to that point. I *think* being drained of Dex had your death message be "slipped on a banana peel."

EDIT: I am slow.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Nah, having a -trice won't stone you if it's only in your inventory. If you are wielding it and then take a stumble, however...

There's also throwing -trice eggs at things to stone them, but I don't think monsters will do the same to you.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Hell, could you ride a war boar and boar-drift, establishing emboardered stories of some crazy Finn defending his boarders but the only evidence of his presence are angry snorts, a wall of heated breath knocking trespassers over, a glimpse of a man on a saddle and massive skid marks in the snow afterward?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

"What do you want to engrave with?"
"You write on the floor: Go gently caress y!urself"

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Wouldn't woodchucks would just get more common the fewer monster species are available as you're going through killing everything?

EDIT: It's even worse than you remembered, woodchucks are not set to generate in the dungeon (except in Slash'EM for the Oracle level as a once off).

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

You should have been a tourist instead on your extinctionist quest. Take pictures of all your victims then murder them viciously.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

George posted:

I don't remember what this is, unless you mean a roll of ones.

GWoP was the Great Wyrm of Power I believe. It's the fastest of the great wyrms at 85, beating out Balance and Many Colours by 5.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

If it were to preserve fullness it would be some sort of magical tin that compresses the corpse. When you open it, it would spring out like some dumb snake in a peanut can.

Tinning here, you're just taking a sample and preserving it; apparently you either secure the bit that provides the intrinsics (some sort of core perhaps?) or the whole monster is infused and the tinning kit is magical enough to deal with it.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Wisps normally hurt you by using vampirism whenever you're adjacent, cardinal direction or no. I can't remember if they can also affect other enemies or just their type, so there are occasions where a couple wisps will keep themselves alive by exchanging 2 HP every turn by sticking together.

In Sproggiwood, aoe damage is king. And on Savage, getting an early level 5 and then diving to the end is the best strategy, because of never ending black pudding slimes or twinned enemies.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

On Savage difficulty yeah. Your best bet is to load up on levelling your experience gains and rushing down to the bottom so you aren't faced with an ever increasing tide of black jelly.

Also Floodkiller, you had a scroll of fireball but died before using it. For shame. D:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

PRO-STRATS, as soon as you find the flame weapon (the one that shoots out a column) for your class you buy that pronto. It's ridiculously cheap and adds so much more damage potential to your hits from the very start. Frost weapons are poo poo as you have just demonstrated. And the others are too expensive to really use when you're playing normally.

• Locked thread