Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Hello again and welcome to the 2015 Campaigns/Elections/Politics thread. This thread is designed to answer any questions you may have about working on or the inner workings of political campaigns or political offices. I know I am late this year just been busy with life.

Who am I you may ask? I am Mooseontheloose (or just Moose) and I am a just a guy who worked campaigns for about 3 or 4 years before moving over to an official office. I've run two campaigns a small city council race and a state senate race. Have been an organizer for two statewide campaigns and ran a paid canvass. I've worked mostly in the north but did spend some time in the South. I do not consider myself a expert or like David Axlerod but I do feel like there is a lot of questions that people have about the political process that they are afraid to ask. I am here to demystify our sometimes complicated political world.

Mooseontheloose's rules and general questions

1. This is a safe space and I ask everyone to refrain from being internet detectives.
Don't be that jerk who ruins it for everyone.

2. If you work in the political world please feel free to jump in with your own opinions.
Always good to have more opinions and always good to have different perspectives.

3. I want to be Josh Lyman! Can you help me become Josh Lyman? I will also settle for Toby Zigler.
Shamelessly stolen from this youtube video. If you want a job you can certainly send me a resume, please PM me but be warned that it's hard to recommend random strangers from the internet.

3a. Help! I have a chance to run a small state rep race or I can be low man on the totem poll on a competitive governors/Senate race. What would you do?
Every option has advantages and disadvantages. Running a small state rep campaign gives you some invaluable experience in management, hiring, and volunteer management. Still, it's a small world and sometimes it hard to move up. Working for a bigger race is great, you meet a lot of influential people and lots of people within your political party. But be warned if you want to advance you can't just show up once a week. You have to dedicate yourself to the campaign and take every opportunity thrown at you. Even then, it takes time to claw your way up.

4. Aren't you part of a system that is just corrupt, making you part of the corruption. All political parties are the same and clearly my pet candidate from (libertarian/green/vermin supreme) didn't win because the two political parties don't want them to win. You make me sick.
Listen straw-man I made up, I get that you think that all political parties are the same and that your pure 3rd party candidate and thoughts would show Americans the light IF ONLY they could get elected. But both parties are not the same from the way they governor to the way the run campaigns and yes their policies are significantly different.

5. Lawn signs are a tried and true method of getting people elected. Why don't more campaigns use lawn signs?
[sobs internally]

6. Where can I find jobs?
Look for jobsthatareleft, idealist (thought those are more of the grassroots campaigns, more on that in a second), Democratic Gain, and Tom Mantos are all places that come to mind.

6a. I saw a Grassroots Campaigns job that says I can run a campaign with no experience. What's the catch?
The catch is they pay like poo poo and make more than enough money to not do that. They say they run more legislative campaigns, which maybe true, but I haven't really seen them make a huge impact. This is my own personal opinion and others may vary.

6b. What about paid canvassing?
It's not a bad way to start though it all depends on who is running it and if the people running it are willing to teach you things and let you in on what's going on. Plus, they are a bit disconnected from the other campaigns due to FEC and PAC laws.

Finally, everyone should go to http://www.campaignsick.tumblr.com and learn to love that site.

Ask away!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011
I've spent the last 6 or so months since our Congressional candidate got REKT trying to work with the local committees to improve them so that (a) we actually have a functional party of some description when the 2016 Campaigns roll in and (b) we can actually win some of the hundred or so elections on the ballot in my Congressional District this year. I have learned the following:
  • The primary goal of a political party is to protect the reputation and ego of its leadership and long-term members. This must be done at all costs and is a higher priority than electing candidates.
  • If your slate consists largely of first time candidates challenging incumbents, making sure they attend a Candidate Training put together by your State Party and featuring Congressional/Gubernatorial CMs and Finance Directors isn't a high priority.
  • Not liking someone personally is a perfectly valid reason to refuse to work with them politically.
  • Local Chairs are the undisputed Dictator of their County when it comes to politics. Absolutely nothing is allowed to happen without their express approval. In no way will this result in a shortage of candidates when this rule is applied to recruitment.
  • Popular, well-liked volunteers are a threat to the dominance of their Party Chairs and should be screamed at until they cry and/or quit. Alternatively, they can be dealt with by spreading rumors behind their backs until they are somehow "controversial".
  • If you are a local chair, and anyone with even a precinct in your County wins an election, you deserve a medal. It doesn't matter if it's a D+5 seat and we lost the parts in your County and you did basically nothing to help, it proves that you know what you're doing.
  • Conversely, if the State Party drops a quarter million dollars into a race, you're completely justified in saying they didn't help at all with the race.
  • There is no correlation between going off on profane tirades directed at State Legislative Caucus staffers and not being consulted on Legislative recruiting decisions.
  • It's way more useful to offer criticism at the 11th hour than it is to participate in any way in a planning process or actually contribute to the task at hand.
  • If something's not getting done, it's more effective to bitch about it than to do it yourself. Especially if it should probably be your job anyways and it would only take a few minutes.
  • The small little fundraiser that you're having that's only going to raise like $500 should be a crucial factor in scheduling another non-fundraising event an hour away.
  • If you're having trouble convincing people to take on leadership roles, the correct solution is not to recruit more people, but rather create more leadership roles.
  • If you have 35+ races on the ballot and only a dozen or so candidates, the best way to try to attract candidates is to set an early filing deadline and advertise your nominating process only on your local party website for two weeks.
  • Your ballot access requirements for a County Supervisor should be about 3-4 times higher than the requirements for independent candidates. You need some method to narrow down the dozens of folks who want to run in gerrymandered seats against Republican incumbents.
  • No relevant information will ever be found in (a) the Party Plan, (b) your own Bylaws, or (c) the Rules your committee wrote and passed to deal with this exact situation.
  • There's no real problem with publishing incorrect information about nominating processes on your website. There's no real reason to ask someone to proofread that kind of stuff, and you certainly shouldn't use the vetted language the committee voted on.
  • Generally speaking, you should rely on past experience rather than the Rules. After all, what worked in a completely different circumstance will clearly work here and must be in compliance with the Rules you didn't bother to read.
  • It's a great use of volunteer time to hand out sample ballots at a special election when there's only one candidate on the ballot.
  • It's a poor use of volunteer time to recruit for the committee at a hotly contested unassembled caucus.
  • If it didn't blow up in your face, you obviously used the appropriate amount of caution, and everyone saying you were running unnecessary risks was just trying to be an rear end.
  • A statewide elected official should always make themselves immediately available for unscheduled meetings when a local Chair decides to show up at their office. It's not like they have poo poo to do.
  • "Their campaign manager is an rear end in a top hat" is a great reason to try to unilaterally refuse a candidate the nomination.
  • You obviously have the managerial skills to run two different assembled caucuses for two different districts at the same time and place. There's no way that could be confusing.
  • Nothing could possibly go wrong with scheduling half a dozen caucuses and your largest fundraiser on the same day - after all, you've got probably two dozen volunteers you can count on, that's plenty of people to do all of that.
  • A member of the Electoral Board is the best person to offer a quote in a newspaper article about an intra-party squabble that may devolve into lawsuits.
  • "I want to get a nominee quickly" is a great reason to apply for a waiver from notice requirements. They're really more like guidelines anyways.

There is nobody in the world I don't hate right now. Except Mooseontheloose, who made this thread so I can rant.

Jackson Taus fucked around with this message at 05:49 on May 17, 2015

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Jackson Taus posted:

There is nobody in the world I don't hate right now. Except Mooseontheloose, who made this thread so I can rant.

So uh...yah those are a lot of problems and the unfortunate side of what we love to do. Local parties (and especially county parties) if run by the wrong people can be the bane of your existence. To that end, make sure you do what you can to either recruit the next generation or be VERY clear to local party people about what is happening.

Put another way these things have a way of blowing up in party people's faces like this guy: http://coralspringstalk.com/broward-county-democratic-party-official-arrested-for-grand-theft-3261

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

gently caress off years, and gently caress local parties.

Anyway i posted a bunch in the old thread(s) but I do lots of campaigns. Mostly field and targeting stuff so far. I've worked in 5 states and counting, and have done stuff from paid canvassing for state house candidates to field directing statewide coordinateds, mostly stuff inbetween. I can answer lots of questions especially about field and careers within field.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Jesus, mooseontheloose, you're still doing this? You either have the patience of a saint or you have an unhealthily high tolerance for pain and bullshit. The last campaign I worked for was almost a year ago and now I'm at an office job. Campaign jobs can be fun, but the magic wears off after a while.

However, I did do some GOTV phonebanking for the winner of a special election for the New York State Assembly earlier in May. I couldn't vote in it on account of living less than two blocks north of where the district begins, so I decided to do that after work instead. It was a very strange election from the start- the Democratic machine candidate had a snafu at the Board of Elections and didn't make it on the ballot, so the Democratic line was vacant for the election. The three Democrats that clamored for the seat (there was a Republican candidate, but his base of support is solely the ultra-Orthodox Jewish Lubavitchers, who are headquartered in a small part of the district, so he had no shot) ended up being on different party lines, and all three of them ran on one issue- tenants' rights. As this article explains (please excuse the horrible first paragraph- the NY Times put this in the Sunday Metro section and their audience is mostly the kind of people who can relate to sending their West Indian nanny home after a long day's work), Crown Heights and Prospect-Lefferts Gardens stand to lose a lot if New York state rent regulation laws aren't renewed this year, as they must be every three years, because it has a high concentration of rent regulated buildings compared to the rest of New York City.

The Democrat who was closest to the Brooklyn machine, Shirley Patterson (who ran on the Independence Party line), talked the talk, but she got money from a developer who owns some buildings in the district, so it was pretty clear she wasn't going to walk the walk if she won- not to mention that I hardly saw any signs for her in the district until a week before the special election. Geoffrey Davis ran on the "Love Yourself Party" line (your guess is as good as mine as to why it's named that), and while he was more visible on campaign literature, he ended up placing dead last with less than 5% of the vote. The winning candidate was Diana Richardson, who ran on the Working Families Party line. She took no money from developers, and when she spoke at a meeting of the Crown Heights Tenants Union, she gave the entire room her personal cell phone number, which is both incredibly courageous and kinda stupid. Also, she might be younger than some of the campaign veterans that have posted in previous iterations of this thread. The message is clear- the tide may be finally turning against the real estate lobby. Of course, this is just one district, and if the rent regulations are renewed (they probably will be), a lot can happen in the three years before they need to be renewed again. But I have hope.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 19, 2015

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Y-Hat posted:

Jesus, mooseontheloose, you're still doing this? You either have the patience of a saint or you have an unhealthily high tolerance for pain and bullshit. The last campaign I worked for was almost a year ago and now I'm at an office job. Campaign jobs can be fun, but the magic wears off after a while.

Being on the official side helps, though last year was kinda bullshit.

New York (like any place) seems like it is a tough place to be, especially if you are anti-development/anti-real estate.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Mooseontheloose posted:

New York (like any place) seems like it is a tough place to be, especially if you are anti-development/anti-real estate.
I'd like to think that New York's going through a seismic shift right now, but as a dyed-in-the-wool pessimist I can't be too sure. Even before this year's developments in Albany, Zephyr Teachout won almost 40% of the vote in the Democratic primary in spite of the fact that not many people knew who she was. Bear in mind, this was when Andrew Cuomo's approval ratings defied all logical explanation by being healthily over 50% (it's now in the mid-40s among all New Yorkers, and it's in the mid-30s among NY Democrats). A little populism goes a long way. And of course, you've got the fact that the head of both houses of the State Legislature were indicted on corruption charges because Preet Bharara is actually walking the walk of rooting out Albany's rotten culture, instead of half-assing it like Cuomo has.

It's not even halfway through the first year of Cuomo's second term and already people are clamoring for Bharara, state AG Eric Schneiderman, and state comptroller Tom DiNapoli to run for governor in 2018. If this leftward momentum continues into the 2016 elections, Cuomo and his more-GOP-than-Democratic agenda will be on the ropes. But a lot can happen in a year and a half. I highly doubt Bill de Blasio will run, partially because he's running for re-election as NYC mayor in 2017, partially because he's an oblivious idiot in spite of the fact that he's enacted some good things (universal pre-K, five paid sick days for practically everyone who works in NYC, practically no business can run a credit check on you for employment), demagoguery towards protesters notwithstanding.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 20, 2015

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Y-Hat posted:

I'd like to think that New York's going through a seismic shift right now, but as a dyed-in-the-wool pessimist I can't be too sure. Even before this year's developments in Albany, Zephyr Teachout won almost 40% of the vote in the Democratic primary in spite of the fact that not many people knew who she was. Bear in mind, this was when Andrew Cuomo's approval ratings defied all logical explanation by being healthily over 50% (it's now in the mid-40s among all New Yorkers, and it's in the mid-30s among NY Democrats). A little populism goes a long way. And of course, you've got the fact that the head of both houses of the State Legislature were indicted on corruption charges because Preet Bharara is actually walking the walk of rooting out Albany's rotten culture, instead of half-assing it like Cuomo has.

It's not even halfway through the first year of Cuomo's second term and already people are clamoring for Bharara, state AG Eric Schneiderman, and state comptroller Tom DiNapoli to run for governor in 2018. If this leftward momentum continues into the 2016 elections, Cuomo and his more-GOP-than-Democratic agenda will be on the ropes. But a lot can happen in a year and a half. I highly doubt Bill de Blasio will run, partially because he's running for re-election as NYC mayor in 2017, partially because he's an oblivious idiot in spite of the fact that he's enacted some good things (universal pre-K, five paid sick days for practically everyone who works in NYC, practically no business can run a credit check on you for employment), demagoguery towards protesters notwithstanding.

It is a reminder though for challengers to build their grassroots networks early.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

I got an undergraduate B.A. in Business Economics (accounting + economics + finance) and have been working at banks and hedge funds for 4 years. While I've briefly considered pursuing something like a PhD in finance, I don't have the aptitude for graduate level math. I want to switch industries to something more qualitative and political through a Master's program. I'm not sure I have the fortitude for a PhD but I'd consider it afterwards.

Ideally, I want to try and migrate towards the more PR/media oriented side of things, because the strategy and creativity involved in crafting messages and responses for a campaign sounds a lot more interesting to me than being a policy wonk, though I still find a policy wonk more interesting than being an quantitative based investor. I like the intellectual challenge of deciding the appropriate response and messaging for a recent event, like Hillary and the email blowup or deciding how to comment on the student debt issue. I also like how it's more about people and your ability to read or influence them, whether it's the politicians or the voters.

I'm currently at the very initial stage of researching programs in a range of areas, including National Security/Securities Policy Study, Public Policy/Administration, International Relations, International Political Economics, Legislative Affairs, Media and Strategic Management or American Government to name a few.

Advice? I'd love to do a job that has a title like "political strategist" or work for a campaign. I'm worried about applying for these programs with no real relevant experience. I'm worried about the job prospects after the program. My background is competitive enough I'd shoot for a name brand institution like Georgetown or Hopkins but also weak enough I might end up at a 2nd tier program. If I'm in the wrong place please send me along.

Its Miller Time fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 25, 2015

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Its Miller Time posted:

Advice? I'd love to do a job that has a title like "political strategist" or work for a campaign. I'm worried about applying for these programs with no real relevant experience. I'm worried about the job prospects after the program. My background is competitive enough I'd shoot for a name brand institution like Georgetown or Hopkins but also weak enough I might end up at a 2nd tier program. If I'm in the wrong place please send me along.

My first bit of advice is to always join a campaign that you are interested in. Most campaigns from city council on up have some sort of consultant with them that work with vendors and have worked with other officials. It is a great networking opportunity. Also, you want to know how campaign operations work before you start consulting and doing the high level data/messaging work. Practicality goes a long way.

You may also want to look at the major political consultants in your area if you want to stay local. Aristotle sounds more like what you want to do. They are the ones who put together all the big data for the Democratic party. You may also want to look at NGP/VAN as a democrat as well.

But again find a campaign you like and see if you can join in for a bit.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011
[rant]Dear Idiots: If I can find a hole in your plan thirty seconds after hearing it, it doesn't mean I'm an rear end in a top hat, it means you didn't do your homework. Like seriously, if you're going to propose a bylaws amendment, shouldn't "read the whole bylaws and make sure nothing else relates to the section that's changing" be a part of the process? Or at least "run a search on related words to make sure I didn't miss anything"? [/rant]

On a different note, is there an easy way to explain to local parties that they're very obviously under-performing and aren't nearly as successful as they think they are? Because they tend to declare it a major success when the state party drops a million dollars and 20 field organizers on a race and wins or when a race ties the part of the district in their county but wins convincingly in the other part of the district.

Mooseontheloose posted:

My first bit of advice is to always join a campaign that you are interested in. Most campaigns from city council on up have some sort of consultant with them that work with vendors and have worked with other officials. It is a great networking opportunity. Also, you want to know how campaign operations work before you start consulting and doing the high level data/messaging work. Practicality goes a long way.

You may also want to look at the major political consultants in your area if you want to stay local. Aristotle sounds more like what you want to do. They are the ones who put together all the big data for the Democratic party. You may also want to look at NGP/VAN as a democrat as well.

But again find a campaign you like and see if you can join in for a bit.

Yeah, I'd definitely recommend spending some time working with or volunteering with a campaign, because it helps you get a sense of the "front lines" of politics as it were. It's also a really fascinating experience, and largely populated by cool people roughly your/our age.

Its Miller Time posted:

I got an undergraduate B.A. in Business Economics (accounting + economics + finance) and have been working at banks and hedge funds for 4 years. While I've briefly considered pursuing something like a PhD in finance, I don't have the aptitude for graduate level math. I want to switch industries to something more qualitative and political through a Master's program. I'm not sure I have the fortitude for a PhD but I'd consider it afterwards.

Ideally, I want to try and migrate towards the more PR/media oriented side of things, because the strategy and creativity involved in crafting messages and responses for a campaign sounds a lot more interesting to me than being a policy wonk, though I still find a policy wonk more interesting than being an quantitative based investor. I like the intellectual challenge of deciding the appropriate response and messaging for a recent event, like Hillary and the email blowup or deciding how to comment on the student debt issue. I also like how it's more about people and your ability to read or influence them, whether it's the politicians or the voters.

I'm currently at the very initial stage of researching programs in a range of areas, including National Security/Securities Policy Study, Public Policy/Administration, International Relations, International Political Economics, Legislative Affairs, Media and Strategic Management or American Government to name a few.

I'd warn you of two things. First of all, the pay doesn't compare at all to finance. The entry-level campaign or legislative staff make really poo poo wages and even folks who get "better' jobs like PAC director or junior lobbyist make less money than I made at their age. I'm in IT so presumably you make/made even more than I do. It seems like the folks higher up the food chain in political consulting/lobbying/think tanks/etc make good money, but still less than you would be making if you stayed in a financial track. That said, money's not the most important thing in the world, and nobody I know in politics is like starving or homeless or anything.

The second thing I'd warn you about is that approximately everybody would love to be a "political strategist"/literally Josh Lyman, and there are comparatively few positions available to do that. Of course, you sound considerably more competent than the average dude, so you may hit the head of the pack a lot quicker than everyone else.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Jackson Taus posted:

I'd warn you of two things. First of all, the pay doesn't compare at all to finance. The entry-level campaign or legislative staff make really poo poo wages and even folks who get "better' jobs like PAC director or junior lobbyist make less money than I made at their age. I'm in IT so presumably you make/made even more than I do. It seems like the folks higher up the food chain in political consulting/lobbying/think tanks/etc make good money, but still less than you would be making if you stayed in a financial track. That said, money's not the most important thing in the world, and nobody I know in politics is like starving or homeless or anything.

The second thing I'd warn you about is that approximately everybody would love to be a "political strategist"/literally Josh Lyman, and there are comparatively few positions available to do that. Of course, you sound considerably more competent than the average dude, so you may hit the head of the pack a lot quicker than everyone else.

Finance if you want to make money or run a campaign
Field for if you want to run a campaign and become a consultant.
Media/Press forever baffles me what their tracks are.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Mooseontheloose posted:

Doing the same in government/official side, or a private public affairs consulting firm.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Mooseontheloose posted:

Finance if you want to make money or run a campaign
Field for if you want to run a campaign and become a consultant.

To be clear, by "finance" in my post, I meant compared to his current employment in the finance industry (hedge funds, banks, etc), not campaign finance staff jobs.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
are you more of a jonah ryan or a malcolm tucker?

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Bitter Mushroom posted:

98% of men who work in campaigns want to be Malcolm and are Jonah.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

gohuskies posted:

98% of men who work in campaigns want to be Malcolm and are Jonah.

The rest want to be the lovechild of Josh Lyman and Sam Seaborn?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Bitter Mushroom posted:

You know one of those worker bees you see in the background of a Sorkin show who aren't a main character.

That's me. That is everyone in politics.

Also, thinking about getting a policy degree. Does anyone here have thoughts on that?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Y-Hat posted:

I'd like to think that New York's going through a seismic shift right now, but as a dyed-in-the-wool pessimist I can't be too sure.
I was right in that it's going though a shift. Unfortunately, it's a shift in the wrong direction. Rent regulation laws expired yesterday and the leaders of the two houses of the state legislature can't agree on anything to bring them back with one day left in the session, because I guess they're the only members of each house whose opinions count; Cuomo wants to combine renewed rent regulations, including extending a tax break that comes with it that developers have used to build luxury condos with no affordable units in them, with a private school tax credit that's both another attack on public education and a giveaway to religious fucknuts (both Christian AND Jewish); and I sincerely doubt mayoral control of NYC schools will be renewed, because heaven forbid they give control to someone who doesn't want to ruin city schools like Bloomberg did. Please, do not ever be optimistic about anything in politics. poo poo like this is why I don't work in it anymore- it's one crushing defeat after another until you just wish *insert politician you really hate here* was dead.

I saw a couple of job postings for a recently-elected state senator's office south of my current district who's an OK guy, but I refuse to work for anyone in Albany because it's such a clusterfuck. Also, the dad of my ex-girlfriend's best friend works for him, and I really don't want to be pulled back into the crazy world they occupy.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jun 17, 2015

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Mooseontheloose posted:

You know one of those worker bees you see in the background of a Sorkin show who aren't a main character.

That's me. That is everyone in politics.

Also, thinking about getting a policy degree. Does anyone here have thoughts on that?

As in a Masters of Public Affairs or Public Policy? It's a good degree to have and just having my MPA and Peace Corps service I'm already interviewing with 4 different agencies. If you want to work with the Feds or a big city directly, rather than campaign work, I'd highly recommend it. Plus, its 90% the same skill set as MBAs while being half the cost, so it also works for private jobs as well as long as you can bullshit well in an interview.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Slaan posted:

As in a Masters of Public Affairs or Public Policy? It's a good degree to have and just having my MPA and Peace Corps service I'm already interviewing with 4 different agencies. If you want to work with the Feds or a big city directly, rather than campaign work, I'd highly recommend it. Plus, its 90% the same skill set as MBAs while being half the cost, so it also works for private jobs as well as long as you can bullshit well in an interview.

This is what I am looking it.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Yep, what I was talking about. You'll learn a good amount of stuff there, and some of them are able to be done in just a year or part time. The average salary is about ~75k public sector, 85/90k private (mostly consulting). If this one is anything like my program, it'll be heavy on statistics (using SAS or SPSS or R), monitoring and evaluation, economics, law, program design and client/internal management. It's a very broad degree that can work in just about any job you can think of.

Roark
Dec 1, 2009

A moderate man - a violently moderate man.

Slaan posted:

I'm going to second that, if you want to go work for the Federal government or a state/local government directly (as a civil servant or appointee), this is the route to go. It's less necessary or unnecessary on the pure political or political-policy route. I'm at a think-tank type institution now after taking a break from the cesspool of day-to-day DC politics*, and most of us at the policy level with advanced degrees are JDs or MA/PhDs.

*That's a lie; you can't escape.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Roark posted:

I'm going to second that, if you want to go work for the Federal government or a state/local government directly (as a civil servant or appointee), this is the route to go. It's less necessary or unnecessary on the pure political or political-policy route. I'm at a think-tank type institution now after taking a break from the cesspool of day-to-day DC politics*, and most of us at the policy level with advanced degrees are JDs or MA/PhDs.

*That's a lie; you can't escape.

I figure if I decide to sell out and go corporate, it's good idea to have it in my back pocket. Oh and maybe get a deeper understanding of policy. Whatever.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Dear liberal activists:

Look to the LGBTQ community and their activism. Look at what they did. Understand how they did it. That is how you make change.

Love,

Moose

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
Step 1: have your movement be predominantly filled with well off white people. I mean a demographic that is largely middle-upper class and childless with tons of spare cash is music to the marketers ears, where else do you think all this corporate sponsorship came from?

tsa fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 28, 2015

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

tsa posted:

Step 1: have your movement be predominantly filled with well off white people. I mean a demographic that is largely middle-upper class and childless with tons of spare cash is music to the marketers ears, where else do you think all this corporate sponsorship came from?

Yes, having clear and concise goals, learning to organize, and welcoming allies had nothing to do with it.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011
It's really amazing seeing the difference between a good campaign and a bad campaign (or a good district and a bad district). Like today I spent time working with a candidate who has like zero dollars, just got a website, and is trying to raise enough money to get a campaign manager (I may help him put together a finance mailer because I'm nice) and last week I spent time with a candidate who has a campaign manager but no volunteers, barely enough money to pay the campaign manager, and the only reason he's got an office is because another local politician donated it to him. Then tonight I was working at a coordinated campaign office and the larger campaign there is hiring their 5th field staffer (and invited me to the welcome party tomorrow) and the smaller campaign is raising like $10k/week. It's really like two different worlds, and these campaigns are separated by like 10-15 miles. Gotta love that gerrymandering.

Mooseontheloose posted:

Yes, having clear and concise goals, learning to organize, and welcoming allies had nothing to do with it.

Like focusing on easier milestones like gay adoption or decriminalizing sodomy or domestic partnerships/civil unions and focusing first on the more media Ls, Gs, and Bs before heavily starting the public push for the Ts and Is and Qs?

tsa posted:

I think it was less that they were well-off white people than that everybody knows a gay person. The push to come out of the closet was a huge success, because most people in my generation know a gay person and so gay rights isn't abstract, it's Tony and Ralph's rights to get married or visit each other in the hospital or whatever. Unfortunately this is harder to replicate for other movements - I remember abortion groups briefly tried a campaign like this and then dropped it. For economic issues, however, this seems much tougher since most people have social networks predominately in within their class - rich people don't have minimum wage friends in the same way they have gay friends.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Mooseontheloose posted:

5. Lawn signs are a tried and true method of getting people elected. Why don't more campaigns use lawn signs?
[sobs internally]

I ran for a super-local position last year and barely bothered with any yard signs at all, and I super-regret doing that. I did a bit of a post-mortem with a friend after the election was over, and he revealed that he'd voted for a super-lovely candidate for the local school board just because he recognized her name on the ballot from all the signs he'd seen on the side of the road.

I might end up running for another local position next year, and I'm definitely going to do more to just plaster my name where I can. Yard signs are definitely part of that, and they do help out if your name isn't a well-known one otherwise.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

I ran for a super-local position last year and barely bothered with any yard signs at all, and I super-regret doing that. I did a bit of a post-mortem with a friend after the election was over, and he revealed that he'd voted for a super-lovely candidate for the local school board just because he recognized her name on the ballot from all the signs he'd seen on the side of the road.

I might end up running for another local position next year, and I'm definitely going to do more to just plaster my name where I can. Yard signs are definitely part of that, and they do help out if your name isn't a well-known one otherwise.

Yeah, I've sort of suspected that a lot of the advice for campaigning comes from folks running races at the Federal level or at least well-funded state legislative races. A lot of the Analyst Institute stuff I'm pretty sure is geared in the Federal direction and the assumption is that stuff scales up/down pretty uniformly by race size (except that stuff like TV obviously isn't affordable as you scale down). So it might be the case that some of the assumptions made are wrong, and stuff that's irrelevant at the state legislative level is crucial at the Town Council level. It's funny actually, because some guys I know ran a training specifically geared around the premise of teaching people on like town councils or HOAs or PTAs how to run for higher office like State Senate because it's a whole different ballgame (and we say the same thing to candidates considering jumping from Supervisor/state legislator to Congress), but I never really considered it in reverse - that because running for Town Council is substantively different from running for the higher offices, advice that works for State Senators may not work for Town Council races beyond the obvious and intuitive scale differences.

And I think most of the dislike for yard signs from folks in this thread isn't because they're absolutely 100% useless, it's a reaction to (a) candidates wanting to spend half their budget on yardsigns, bumper stickers, and buttons, (b) "volunteers" saying that them allowing us to put a yard sign up is a major contribution to the campaign, and (c) people constantly critiquing campaigns for not having enough yard signs therefore we're all going to lose. Like in 2012, the day we got yardsigns in at the office, there was a line around the block, and most of the people picking up yardsigns would refuse to volunteer and would feel free to offer criticisms to various staffers about what message Barack should be campaigning on or how terrible it is he hasn't visited our county three times already. It's also the sort of advice that slacktivists who try to worm their way into a campaign's Inner Circle tend to give.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Yard sign obsessives are morons, but I think the backlash from campaign professionals is getting a little too strong the other way. "Yard signs don't vote!" Yeah, but neither do TV ads, and we spend a huge percentage of our budget and effort on those! And even though a TV ad has more messaging than just a candidate's name, the average person doesn't take all that much away from the average campaign TV spot other than "hmm, that person seems good" or "hmm, that person sounds terrible," hardly more of a message than you get from a candidate's name plastered on a sign.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Ofaloaf posted:

I ran a small city council race (a city of about 100k) with a budget of about 50k. We had about 100(ish) lawn signs up which is probably the least of any candidate and we topped the ticket. What I think was more helpful was having our candidate knocking doors EVERY night and having our volunteers leave lit on the doors which I think acts in the way you are doing. Mailers are a great multiplier too in my mind because you can target them and you know they are going to where they are suppose to go.

If you have someone who is willing to place lawn signs and not waste someone elses time doing voter contact great but I feel it can be a waste of staff resources if you are spending more than a couple hours here and there on it.

Time is a resource on these campaigns, it needs to be spent wisely.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Direct voter contact, mail, and digital are all going to be way more effective than yard signs regardless of race size. On local races raw name id is more important than big races sure, but yard signs are not a particularly cost or time effective way to raise that.

Honestly the main reason to get yard signs from a campaign manager pov is because candidate+candidate friends+volunteers will freak out if you don't get yard signs. But even that is starting to change.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011
You know who suck? Local candidates (no offense Ofaloaf). The Coordinated Campaign (which you haven't bought into because you're a poor local candidate) is doing a canvass, and we say that if you come and canvass with us, we'll drop your lit too! Great deal, right? Of course a bunch of them want to participate, so guess who's got to spend hours picking up all their lit and putting it with the correct packets? Me. And then some of the local candidates turn around and knock on like 15 doors. ARGH! Hilariously, one of the candidates that did that wants to buy into the Coordinated. That'll make for an awkward conversation - "Well what can you bring to the table?" "Well we can knock doors" "Like the time you and your staffer showed up late to a canvass and teamed up to knock a tiny packet between you?"

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Haha, I briefly was working for the state party's coordinated campaign last year. In a Panera Bread. Using my own cellphone and laptop. Because the central office hadn't actually secured a place for our county yet, or gotten any equipment for us. We were still expected to make the same daily quotas goals that every other team had, though!

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Ofaloaf posted:

Haha, I briefly was working for the state party's coordinated campaign last year. In a Panera Bread. Using my own cellphone and laptop. Because the central office hadn't actually secured a place for our county yet, or gotten any equipment for us. We were still expected to make the same daily quotas goals that every other team had, though!

Counter: Panera's are great staging locations for canvasses.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Yeah, but for entire 10-hour shifts? Do you know what it was like to try to get anyone to seriously engage over the phone with the sound of the dinnertime rush going on in the background?

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

Yeah that sounds pretty ridiculous, but there's definitely a common ground between "treat candidates like they're your staffers" and "candidates can't even do a walk packet right in exchange for getting a ton of their lit handed out".

Mooseontheloose posted:

Counter: Panera's are great staging locations for canvasses.

It's a great staging location for a canvass if you're doing a quick training, handing out packets, and getting them back a few hours later, it sucks massively to use for call time.

Tim Pawlenty
Jun 3, 2006
Last month I turned down a campaign gig that would have had me moving to the middle of nowhere for the same/less responsibility than I had last cycle. I still think I made the right decision since I actually love where I live now (moved out here for the last cycle, now I live here!). Good luck all of you, I'm currently interviewing for a position with a political nonprofit and hopefully I can just stay away from campaigns in the future and ride out the horrible stuff like 'consistent employment' and 'regular hours' on the nonprofit side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Tim Pawlenty posted:

Last month I turned down a campaign gig that would have had me moving to the middle of nowhere for the same/less responsibility than I had last cycle. I still think I made the right decision since I actually love where I live now (moved out here for the last cycle, now I live here!). Good luck all of you, I'm currently interviewing for a position with a political nonprofit and hopefully I can just stay away from campaigns in the future and ride out the horrible stuff like 'consistent employment' and 'regular hours' on the nonprofit side.

Yeah, in the campaign world you're either moving upwards or you're moving downwards. If you're taking on the same responsibility for multiple cycles you may be in trouble. Obviously "responsibility" and "job title" don't always line up - going from state legislator's finance director to being on a Senator's finance staff is hardly a downgrade.

The problem with having "consistent employment" and "regular" hours is that I still wind up helping with campaigns and political stuff and the hours wind up being no better.

• Locked thread