Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I only watched 1 and 2, so in my experience the franchise ends there

e: I am watching this movie tomorrow. I am excited!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sharkopath posted:

Mad Max 1 is cool but isn't an apocalypse movie, it's a cool ultra low budget road revenge movie.

It had the highest budget to gross ratio in film for lsike 20 years, until Blair witch came out.

Goose and the police chief are cool characters.

Yeah, I like Goose and the Police Chief, but there wasn't enough of them.

That being said I'm 10 minutes into Road Warrior and already liking it more than the first.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Movie was cool and a lot of fun. Pretty much nonstop action but I never got tired of it. I especially liked seeing all the crazy mutations people had.

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 01:34 on May 20, 2015

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
quote isn't edit

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
The cd thread needs to chill out about people disagreeing with them, maybe drink some water or something.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

What's cd

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
The movie subforum

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

chaos rhames posted:

The movie subforum

Such a place doesn't exist

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This is a good movie and I've seen it twice.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The first Mad Max film is cool but it's very much a product of its time and owes more to US road movies like Vanishing Point given a coat of Aussie 'everything poo poo mate'.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
Fury Road was loving awesome, RIP flamethrower guitar dude.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Polikarpov posted:

Fury Road was loving awesome, RIP flamethrower guitar dude.

He lives in my fanfic

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

This movie loving ruled, and is so anime that we ate sushi and drank sake before seeing it.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

CommissarMega posted:

He lives in my fanfic

His name was Doof and he was a goddamned legend.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
I hope the Japanese are finding this movie as sugoi as I did.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

I hope the Japanese are finding this movie as sugoi as I did.

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/600662498254008320

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I would not consider Hideo Kojima a good barometer for what the average Japanese person likes.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Bad Seafood posted:

I would not consider Hideo Kojima a good barometer for what the average Japanese person likes.

:agreed: Kojima owns compared to the average Japanese person solely based on his opinion of 'dis movie

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Shinjobi posted:

Salvation was still better than 3

I know people really hate 3 but Salvation was so crappy and boring where 3 at least had enough schlockiness where you didn't actively want to leave. Salvation was more competently made but somehow less substantial. That's just my experience though.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I know people really hate 3 but Salvation was so crappy and boring where 3 at least had enough schlockiness where you didn't actively want to leave. Salvation was more competently made but somehow less substantial. That's just my experience though.

3 is incredibly boring and salvation is terrible. both look beter than genesys which loving blows my mind

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Fungah! posted:

3 is incredibly boring and salvation is terrible. both look beter than genesys which loving blows my mind

Yeah I didn't really expect the series to get actively worse from there.

I sure as poo poo didn't expect a new Mad Max movie to be excellent.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Going to see it in a couple hours! I thought about re-watching the other movies this week but eh, I've seen them all multiple times so that's good enough.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just accidentally watched original Mad Max with the American dubbing because I didn't think to change it. :cripes:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Salvation had one good scene when Christian Bale crashes the helicopter and suddenly the severed upper torso of a Terminator grabs him and just tosses him around like a ragdoll. Those ten seconds more than anything in 3, Salvation or Sarah Connor Chronicles were utterly convincing that yeah Terminators were actually cool as poo poo and super-dangerous. Even if their main mode of attack seems to be 'grab this human and throw him at a handy wall' instead of 'grab this human and crush his loving bones'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0xjc_OSJms

I guess after this scene they fired whoever was on sound-mixing because nothing else in the film sounds nearly as cool.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Listening to the Mad Max 2 commentary now, George Miller has a very relaxing voice and they're try to remember if they made Mel Gibson eat actual dog food or not.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Sakurazuka posted:

Listening to the Mad Max 2 commentary now, George Miller has a very relaxing voice and they're try to remember if they made Mel Gibson eat actual dog food or not.

I really hope they did.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They decided it was 'probably spaghetti and meatballs' while he shovels something that looks 100% like dog food in his mouth.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I am going to go to Mad Max again tonight.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

This movie was a lot like what people seem to think the Mad Max films were like all along.

It was really fuckin good though, I might have to see it again when I'm not sitting 3 feet from the screen.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

a kitten posted:

This movie was a lot like what people seem to think the Mad Max films were like all along.

this was the first one i'd seen, and it was weird going back and watching the first one where there's a functional if dystopian society

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I'm going to see this tomorrow. Might have it be my first MM experience (other than a few plays of Thunder Road), might watch Road Warrior first.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Cake Attack posted:

this was the first one i'd seen, and it was weird going back and watching the first one where there's a functional if dystopian society

The second Mad Max movie is the only old mad max movie worth watching and the one most like Fury Road. Maybeeee the third one if youre bored

Kleptobot
Nov 6, 2009
9.5/10 would give 10/10 if flaming electric bass guitar guy got more screentime in the director's cut

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Saw this yesterday, extremely good poo poo.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Only thing I didn't care for were the couple of instances of that dumb thing they do for 3D movies where something flies toward the camera like it's coming out at you. I saw it with my sister and she apparently didn't like it, but also hadn't seen any of the other movies in entirety so I'm not entirely sure what she was expecting. :confused:

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Oh yeah like that weird composite shot with the guitar flying at the screen? That was so bizarre I kind of thought it was a joke, like a throwback to the 80's thing.

Professor Irony
Aug 9, 2005

Oh Professor, you'll bury us all!
Given the massive potential for Fury Road to be terrible (especially when I did not think much of the early trailers), it came as a massive relief to see how good it actually was.

Now waiting for the spin-off in which Furiosa and the Wives start a club and sit around doing cute things.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Road Warrior is a profoundly silly movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

• Locked thread