Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
Here's the old A/T thread about ditching shampoo:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3192687

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dustbin
Jun 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I used to be greasy after 24 hours or less. Now I shampoo every several days or just wash the front part around my face. Use dry shampoo and don't touch the roots too much the rest of the time. I like it because now my hair is wet less often. I think it has a little more life and texture too but that's from the dry shampoo.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
Also note: the baking soda + vinegar method is garbage that will very slowly but surely destroy your hair and scalp, baking soda is waaaaay too alkali for your hair and vinegar does not correct the ph problem at all. Baking soda does not belong anywhere near your hair.

:science:
http://blog.kanelstrand.com/2014/01/baking-soda-destroyed-my-hair.html
https://www.futurederm.com/3-reasons-why-baking-soda-and-apple-cider-vinegar-destroy-your-hair-and-what-to-use-instead/

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
So you want to stop using shampoo? - A Guide

1. Pick up shampoo
2. Throw shampoo in garbage
3. Do not buy more shampoo

Bonus Optional Step:
4. Continue to wash hair daily, scrub vigorously and massage scalp

Congratulations, you have stopped using shampoo!

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001
I ditched shampoo a few years ago. I can't see myself ever going back. Probably helps that I keep my hair pretty short nowadays. I actually get compliments on how my hair feels/looks now. When I shampooed regularly my hair was always really limp and I'd have to put a ton of poo poo in it to get it to do anything.

artless barbarian
Jan 1, 2010
Just to present yet another wildly varying experience, I also have very thick, fine, frizz-prone hair that got greasy super drat quickly (I have waist-length hair, but also bangs, hence the concern), and a couple years ago I put in a lot of time/effort to wean off shampoo. The main issue I wanted to resolve was the greasiness, but I also drank the anti-sulfates koolaid, so this definitely influenced my uh determination. IIRC, methods used (not all at the same time, I gave each at least two or three months of consistent trial) were water-only washes, conditioner washes, and as a last ditch effort, sulfate-free shampoo used once a week. Water-only left my hair limp and greasy-looking even when it wasn't, same thing with co-washing (though I should note that my hair loving hates rinse-off conditioner with a burning passion). Sulfate-free shampoos gave me a flakey as gently caress scalp, which is an issue I had never, ever had previously (and which persisted through at least three brands of sulfate-free shampoo).

Eventually I admitted my woes to a hair dresser friend and she lovingly rolled her eyes at me and told me to a) buy better shampoo, b) use it every 2-3 days, and c) get by with dry shampoo on off days.

The transition took as long as it took for me to find a good shampoo and dry shampoo (Batiste's products are great, fwiw), so less than a week, with no gross transitional period. Now I generally shampoo because the dry shampoo in my bangs is starting to itch (usually on day 3), not because of the rest of my hair is looking greasy. If I didn't have bangs/put product in said bangs I'd probably shampoo once a week or so. You don't need to ditch shampoo wholesale to get oil production to chill out, especially if you don't have any existing skin irritation, dry scalp, or other issues caused/exacerbated by a harsh shampoo formula.

Which is all to say that it's pretty much a crapshoot in terms of what's going to work best for you, imo, and that sulfate-free, no 'poo and other trends in hair care are not one size fits all solutions: they absolutely can be the perfect solution for any given person, as other posters here have experienced, they just aren't the One True Path. YMMV.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
My wife ditched shampoo a few months ago in favor of homemade organic soap and a spritz or three of diluted apple cider vinegar. Her hair's never been softer. Seems to work pretty well.

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.

Scudworth posted:

Also note: the baking soda + vinegar method is garbage that will very slowly but surely destroy your hair and scalp, baking soda is waaaaay too alkali for your hair and vinegar does not correct the ph problem at all. Baking soda does not belong anywhere near your hair.

:science:
http://blog.kanelstrand.com/2014/01/baking-soda-destroyed-my-hair.html
https://www.futurederm.com/3-reasons-why-baking-soda-and-apple-cider-vinegar-destroy-your-hair-and-what-to-use-instead/

So rye flour mixed with lukewarm water then?
http://blog.kanelstrand.com/2014/02/testing-diy-shampoos-rye-flour.html

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Also no? But natural living bloggers desperate attempts to find any laughable alternative to Big Shampoo aside, baking soda is still not something to ever safely put in your hair.
Sure neither is rye flour but that's not going to damage it at least (her plumbing is another story though).

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The "natural shampoo alternatives" really are the stupidest thing. If you're gonna stop just stop.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Use shampoo still but use only a little bit.

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.

Scudworth posted:

Also no? But natural living bloggers desperate attempts to find any laughable alternative to Big Shampoo aside, baking soda is still not something to ever safely put in your hair.
Sure neither is rye flour but that's not going to damage it at least (her plumbing is another story though).

I'm only asking because you had a link from that site. I use shampoo myself but now I'm curious about the debate regarding shampoo vs non-shampoo

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica
When people ask how is my hair so soft.... I do not want to tell them I use shampoo 2x a month...

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
Can we take a break from discussing the sham that is poo, to instead discuss how bullshit hair covers are for your shower? Those fuckers always break off no matter what and then they're sliding all about, being a god drat nuisance.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

POWERBALL posted:

I shampoo and condition every day. If I don't shampoo my hair gets super greasy. If I don't condition my hair gets frizzy. But it's usually greasy by the end of the day or the next morning anyway. My hair is super thick, fine, and soft. I think there used to be a thread about this but I didn't see it in the first few pages of this forum.

Should I wean my hair off shampoo or just stop using it abruptly? I'm told that my hair will adjust in time but I'm afraid of the in-between period of looking gross (and also for my complexion). Help!

I'm still parsing this sentence, hang on.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Darth123123 posted:

I'm still parsing this sentence, hang on.

The hair is dense (super thick), not coarse (fine) and not stiff (soft). Not that difficult to understand.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Bip Roberts posted:

Keep using shampoo.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
IME, the one thing the bloggers never ever mention is that if you have hard water, good luck balancing that pH with the pH of your anti-poo of choice. Baking soda or castile soap (another one that was suggested in the last no-poo thread) are much more alkaline than your hair, and if your water is also alkaline... enjoy that ultra-dry, brittle, dirty-feeling hair!

Also definitely have the right brush and learn to brush your hair properly root to tip because you will end up with a greasy scalp no matter what shampoo/faux-poo you use if you're not brushing the oils back into your hair.

Honestly I don't like no/faux-poo methods. I have yet to find one that works for me after a few years of trying, only ones that are semi-adequate and require more work than a bottle of shampoo. My husband on the other hand likes it because his hair has more texture and body to it now. So my advice is to try it (but not with baking soda!) but don't throw away your shampoo just yet.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

LogisticEarth posted:

The hair is dense (super thick), not coarse (fine) and not stiff (soft). Not that difficult to understand.

Gotcha, in that case

Bip Roberts posted:

Keep using shampoo.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Don't take my or any other goon's advice about this, because the answer depends on exactly how thick, oily, curly, etc your hair is. Go talk to a dermatologist, or failing that, at least a hair stylist. They can give you advice that is more tailored to your particular hair and skin type.

"Shampoo" is also not a very useful descriptor - there are many different types of shampoo for a reason. You'll probably have to try a lot of them to find one that works well.

POWERBALL
Feb 16, 2012

by zen death robot
Update: I bought some Batiste dry shampoo and I'm going to start taking a day off from wet shampoo and use the dry stuff on off days.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

POWERBALL posted:

Update: I bought some Batiste dry shampoo and I'm going to start taking a day off from wet shampoo and use the dry stuff on off days.

That's like cat shampoo, right?

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
get dreadlocks op

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

do not get dreadlocks unless you are black op

copper rose petal
Apr 30, 2013
For some reason, a lot of people equate "stop using shampoo" with "stop washing your hair". There shouldn't be any transition period where you have to get used to your hair being greasy. You just use conditioner like you would use shampoo and scrub your scalp with that instead of soapy lather.

I have curly hair and I haven't shampooed my hair in months. It's much less frizz prone, softer, and hydrated. But I clean my hair every time I'm in the shower, so it's not greasy or gross.

Steps to stop using shampoo:

1. Wet your hair in the shower
2. Take a big glob of conditioner and put it on the top of your head
3. Massage the conditioner into your scalp, agitate it with your fingers and scrub it around thoroughly for a few minutes. Don't forget the sides of you head and just above your neck.
4. Let conditioner sit for a few minutes, work more into the rest of the hair if you have long hair
5. Rinse out

It's really not difficult and your hair should never be greasy and disgusting. You have to do more than just rinse your hair with water every few days, that is awful and your hair will be awful if that's all you do. If you use a lot of silicone products and you find that your hair is heavy and flat, just use a non-sulfate shampoo to get it back to normal and then continue the conditioner scrubbing routine.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
I just can't make the jump to stop using shampoo, but I have been using sulfate-free shampoos for a couple years with good results. I've noticed that sulfate-free paraben-free shampoos are cheaper and easier to find than ever, especially if you look in the "ethnic" beauty section of Walmart. It's not rare expensive luxury shampoo anymore. Right now I'm using a Milk & Olive Oil shampoo I found at "dollar" store.

Megaspel posted:

Can we take a break from discussing the sham that is poo, to instead discuss how bullshit hair covers are for your shower? Those fuckers always break off no matter what and then they're sliding all about, being a god drat nuisance.

After trying many crappy drain covers, I found the ultimate hair stopper, OXO Good Grips Bathtub Drain Protector. It's loving amazing. :five:

Ema Nymton fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 5, 2015

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"
Isn't conditioner basically shampoo?

eternalname
Nov 25, 2014

I have a strange feeling...that people are having sex...and it's not with me
I shampoo my hair maybe once or twice a week with Jason dandruff shampoo. My hair kicks rear end now

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Obdicut posted:

No. Conditioner only has a minuscule amount of sulficants. That's why if you switch to cleaning your hair with conditioner only, you need to use a fuckload of it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

copper rose petal posted:

For some reason, a lot of people equate "stop using shampoo" with "stop washing your hair". There shouldn't be any transition period where you have to get used to your hair being greasy. You just use conditioner like you would use shampoo and scrub your scalp with that instead of soapy lather.

I have curly hair and I haven't shampooed my hair in months. It's much less frizz prone, softer, and hydrated. But I clean my hair every time I'm in the shower, so it's not greasy or gross.

Steps to stop using shampoo:

1. Wet your hair in the shower
2. Take a big glob of conditioner and put it on the top of your head
3. Massage the conditioner into your scalp, agitate it with your fingers and scrub it around thoroughly for a few minutes. Don't forget the sides of you head and just above your neck.
4. Let conditioner sit for a few minutes, work more into the rest of the hair if you have long hair
5. Rinse out

It's really not difficult and your hair should never be greasy and disgusting. You have to do more than just rinse your hair with water every few days, that is awful and your hair will be awful if that's all you do. If you use a lot of silicone products and you find that your hair is heavy and flat, just use a non-sulfate shampoo to get it back to normal and then continue the conditioner scrubbing routine.

Note that Conditioner is meant to be absorbed by your hair, rather than washed away, so it does a pretty poo poo job of cleaning your hair/scalp. If your hair is naturally oily, you really shouldn't do this. If your hair is naturally dry and you want some fuller/moister/thicker hair, then it's probably fine, but you're probably not cleaning your hair as well as you might think.

Obdicut posted:

Conditioner is basically a moisturizer + oils that are supposedly beneficial for your hair. It's going to do a much worse job than shampoo when it comes to cleaning your scalp/hair, although it does have some of the same chemicals as shampoo

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 7, 2015

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Become a homeless vagrant.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"
I have never used conditioner knowingly. The one time I used it accidentally my hair got super bouffant and I looked like a televangelist.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Any updates on how bad your head smells?

copper rose petal
Apr 30, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

Note that Conditioner is meant to be absorbed by your hair, rather than washed away, so it does a pretty poo poo job of cleaning your hair/scalp. If your hair is naturally oily, you really shouldn't do this. If your hair is naturally dry and you want some fuller/moister/thicker hair, then it's probably fine, but you're probably not cleaning your hair as well as you might think.

Conditioner is basically a moisturizer + oils that are supposedly beneficial for your hair. It's going to do a much worse job than shampoo when it comes to cleaning your scalp/hair, although it does have some of the same chemicals as shampoo

If you are using the conditioner to scrub your scalp, and not just placing it on top of your hair and then rinsing it off, the agitation is moving the oils around and the scrubbing action is removing other stuff. Just like it is possible to use oil as a cleanser, it is possible to use conditioner as a cleanser. My hair is naturally oily and I live in a tropical, humid climate, and I possess enough personal awareness to know that my hair and scalp are not greasy and smelly.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.

ChairMaster posted:

Shave your head

This will help - even giving yourself a buzz cut will limit the amount of shampoo you need to get your head "clean."

RazorDX
Nov 7, 2008
Just get better shampoo that doesn't gently caress up your hair.

Zyme
Aug 15, 2000
My scalp got super itchy and flakey several years ago. I tried all kinds of shampoo until I finally discovered T-gel. Its active ingredient is loving coal tar extract, which is also used for things such as asphalt sealant and fuel for fired boilers. I use that shampoo at least once per day, sometimes up to two or three times (I sweat A LOT if I get too warm).

My hair is always a perfect texture, just the right amount of oily, not frizzy, and my scalp doesn't ever itch anymore. Even though the shampoo itself smells like locomotive exhaust my hair also somehow smells completely clean at all times.

I guess my point is sometimes you have to just forget the hippie bullshit a succumb to the wonders of industry.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Zyme posted:

My scalp got super itchy and flakey several years ago. I tried all kinds of shampoo until I finally discovered T-gel. Its active ingredient is loving coal tar extract, which is also used for things such as asphalt sealant and fuel for fired boilers. I use that shampoo at least once per day, sometimes up to two or three times (I sweat A LOT if I get too warm).

My hair is always a perfect texture, just the right amount of oily, not frizzy, and my scalp doesn't ever itch anymore. Even though the shampoo itself smells like locomotive exhaust my hair also somehow smells completely clean at all times.

I guess my point is sometimes you have to just forget the hippie bullshit a succumb to the wonders of industry.

T gel has been around a long time and is sworn by a lot of people. Good deal washing your hair goon!

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Scalp yourself op, and others

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME
Coal tar is a really common treatment for skin conditions.

• Locked thread