Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

:siren: FIESTA 2015 IS OVER. Thank you all for an awesome Fiesta season. :h: :siren:

:siren: GO READ MEGA64'S AWESOME MEGATHREAD OF SOLO SINGLE-CLASS AND OMNI-CLASS LPS HERE. :siren:

MANDATORY FIESTA LISTENING:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ginfs4TY0oo

Welcome to the Final Fantasy V Four Job Fiesta 2015 thread! In its third year running, this thread will be the SA headquarters for the Four Job Fiesta, equal parts to keep us from taking over the FF Megathread as well as a single point of action for trading tricks and trips, cursing Gilgabot's lack of mercy, or whatever Fiesta-related discussion you may want. Much like 2013 and 2014, we hope to bring lots of victories, lots of donations, and lots of berserkers from the Berserker Tree!

Quick Links: Goon IRC, Official Website, Official Blog, Official Subreddit (yes, yes, I know, but it's official)

So Kyrosiris, what IS the Four Job Fiesta?

Every year, RevenantKioku and his trusty sidekick Gilgabot (or maybe it's the other way around?) organize the Fiesta as a charity drive for Child's Play and as a gathering for all FFV fans to celebrate the game. Mechanically, the Fiesta challenges you to play through Final Fantasy V using just one job from each Crystal. Hard Mode ups the ante, allowing Gilgabot to pull from past Crystals - you can, for example, get another White Mage from the Fire Crystal, or a Berserker from the Earth Crystal! In 2012, the Berserker Risk option was added as a way to pump up the difficulty even more - for every $10 raised prior to the Fiesta's start, every Berserker Risk participant was assigned a mandatory Berserker! Enough was raised to stick every participant at Risk with at least one Berserker, and SA member Trasson ended up with what was considered the nastiest team of the Fiesta - a Knight and THREE Berserkers! 2013 renamed Hard Mode to "Random Mode" which is honestly more accurate, and added the new Team 750/No-750 and Natural modes, adding extra fun and challenge. 2014 introduced the first "themed" mode - Classic - in which you play a forced-Natural run with only FF1 jobs (White/Black/Red Mages, Knight, Thief, Monk).

While the challenge is not one regularly "recommended" for those new to Final Fantasy V, there have been several goons who challenged the Fiesta as their first playthrough of the game and triumphed! That said, the challenge will definitely require a bit more aptitude and awareness of the game's mechanics and neat combos than a game where you plow through everything with !X-Fight, !X-Magic, and other powerful combos (that is, unless Gilgabot is merciful and gives you those combos).

Well, I've never played FFV before. Should I try anyways?

Absolutely! Like I said, lots of goons have earned their first victory in FFV through the Fiesta - either combinations of the restricted job access giving them real focus to finish the game, or getting advice from the littany of Fiesta veterans that haunt this thread and IRC, or for whatever reason. Plus, FFV is fun, and you're playing for charity (via either your donations or runs that you finish that trigger other people's pledges)!

How's this all work, then? What're the rules?

An example team would be mine from 2012 - I got Thief, Summoner, Ninja, and Samurai. From the Wind Crystal on, I had to have a full party of Thieves. Once I finished the Water Crystal, I got to choose a configuration of at least 1 Thief and at least 1 Summoner, and then the other two could be either Thieves or Summoners, with no limit aside from having at least one of each. The Fire crystal was the same - I had to field at least one Ninja, Summoner, and Thief at all times, and my fourth character could be what was best suited of my three job options. After the Earth Crystal, that was it - everyone was locked in. You can switch jobs around as is necessary, but you've gotta adhere to those guidelines. If you want your Ninja to learn some Summon Magic, that Summoner has to switch to being a Ninja too.

So who the hell is Gilgabot?

Gilgabot is the Twitter bot that does the backend paperwork of the Fiesta. You tweet keywords to him (@FF5ForFutures) at certain thresholds in your playthrough and he will do whatever those correspond to. For example, you can tweet "@FF5ForFutures #Water" to note that you've reached the Water Crystal. Gilgabot will then reply (maybe - he hit the daily tweet limit several times in 2013 and 2014) with your Job assignment for that crystal. You can find a full list of commands here.

Twitter? Ewww, I don't do that social media bullshit.

Tough. Don't blame Gilgabot, blame yourself or God. If you wanna Fiesta (at least officially - no one's stopping you from doing your own using random.org or similar), you gotta tweet. Worst case scenario, you make a throw-away account you use just for the Fiesta and then ignore it. Many goons do this every year.

:siren: NOTE THAT IF YOU HAVE A PROTECTED ACCOUNT, YOU WILL HAVE EXTREME DIFFICULTY FIESTA-ING OFFICIALLY. Consider making a throwaway or PM me your twitter handle on SA and I'll give it to RK so he can have Gilgabot request to follow you. :siren:

Help! Gilgabot gave me a shittacular job combo and $BOSS is kicking my rear end!

Relax. Trasson got through the entire game and even the optional superboss Shinryu in 2012 with a Knight and three Berserkers. You can beat the focus of your ire too, with some strategy and tenacity. That said, we're not going to leave you in the lurch - lots of FFV pros participate in the Fiesta, and in 2012 we came up with a veritable compendium of knowledge, tactics, and advice (which got loving additions in 2013 and 2014, too!). You can find it here, but be aware it contains story and boss spoilers, as well as a significant amount of mechanical information for the game. Other resources include Sulla's Solo Single Class Challenges, the FFV Algorithm Guide (for SNES and GBA), The Spirit of FFV (has built-in "translation" of names/spells between versions) and IRC! We'll all be prattling away at #FFVFiesta on SynIRC.

Science is scary and I can't use !Mix, the most powerful ability in FFV! Help me!!!!

Relax. Learn the true power of :science: here. Don't glitch Exdeath! (especially since your victory won't count)

Alright, I'm in! What do I do?

First, wait patiently for June 1st. Then, get on Twitter and send Gilgabot (@FF5ForFutures) a pre-registration tweet. This will look something like "@FF5ForFutures #regrand #BERSERKERRISK". Then, just wait for the Fiesta to start!

What's New for 2015?

We've gotten our first teaser - this mysterious tweet has informed us that 2015's new gimmick is "#RegChaos". What manner of nonsense will it use to enable Gilgabot to knock us all down?! Wait and see!

Additionally, everything is still being run through :sigh: the official 4JF Subreddit.

Trivia and Infographic Nonsense!

Every year, RevenantKioku puts out an infographic for the year's Fiesta, covering a lot of trivia and data, distribution of classes, stuff like that (as well as how fair and balanced Gilgabot was, which he always is). They're pretty neat, and are timg'd below - click the year (or expand the image, but they're really big) for big.

2011 Infographic:

2012 Infographic:

2013 Infographic:

2014 Infographic:

Unlike in 2013, I will not be maintaining a list of winners or donors in the OP, solely because of the absolutely ridiculous volume of winners and donors. You guys were entirely too skilled and generous for me to keep up with. I'm really sorry. This does NOT mean you guys are off the hook from watering the Berserker Tree! WE BETTER HAVE A BETTER HARVEST THIS YEAR, OR ELSE. 2014's harvest was crazy but WE NEED MORE! A Berserker in every driveway and a Chemist in every pantry!

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

2014's Fiesta inspired fanart, of all things! It's collected here, and anything made in 2015 will be included after!

2014 Fanart

(by Bloodwulfe)

(also by Bloodwulfe)

(by Asiina)

(again, by Bloodwulfe)

(by Shoehead)

(yup, still Bloodwulfe)

(Bloodwulfe: still the best)

(THE LAWS OF THE UNIVERSE MEAN NOTHING TO A_Raving_Loon)

Can of Worms is rad as hell and has made multiple FFV Advance patches, including the source of the above gif.
Fiesta State Mod (Kyro's mirror) (no mechanical changes)
FFVA Balance Mod (Kyro's mirror) (actual mechanical changes) (changelog, mirror)

2015 Fanart

Mega64 takes on the trials and tribulations of the Omnizerker.

(What's Flarnith's art doing here?!)

(neongrey needs to be sure you heard him correctly.)

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jul 3, 2015

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
YESSSSSSSSS

e:

Mega64 posted:

Then just to spite you, :siren: I HEREBY PLEDGE $1 PER GOON WHO POSTS A NEO DEATHSHOT WITH THE NAME "Fartz" :siren: ($50 max, once per goon, punctuation is fine [like Fartz! or Fartz?])

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 29, 2015

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

It's going to be berserkers all the way down

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I look forward to this every year.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Well, as the creator of the berserker tree, I suppose this year I have to go BERSERKERISK.

From the reveal picture on the blog, it seems like Chaos mode might be full randomization of every class, rather gradually introducing new classes like Random.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XsQIHGSNhs&t=82s

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Krysmphoenix posted:

From the reveal picture on the blog, it seems like Chaos mode might be full randomization of every class, rather gradually introducing new classes like Random.

Ah, so basically the true random that everyone wants. Hell yes. :getin:

Now we just need random/chaos to be modifiers instead of run types in and of themselves so we can have no750 chaos berserkerrisk.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Think I'm gonna do this this year, it wont be my first time through, but the first time I've played it in probably more than 10 years, and I'm pretty sure the last half was just me cheesing everything with Gil Toss, so.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Krysmphoenix posted:

Well, as the creator of the berserker tree, I suppose this year I have to go BERSERKERISK.

[m-bison-yes-yes]

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Hello, everyone. My name is Alcharagia, and I have an ultimatum. On this runthrough, I will not fall into the Speed Trap once.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

alcharagia posted:

Hello, everyone. My name is Alcharagia, and I have an ultimatum. On this runthrough, I will not fall into the Speed Trap once.

And now to go rewrite Carbybot's special Alcharagia-only trigger for .trapped...

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
Been streaming unofficial runs over on hitbox to enter the spirit of the season, classes chosen by audience vote. Cleared with Blue/Zerk/Geo/Dancer, on lap 2 of Thief/Time/Bard/Chemist.

Will probably continue to loop until registration begins.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

alcharagia posted:

I want to believe.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011
Please please please let Chaos be true random

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I didn't finish my run last year because i'm a loser.

This time i'm dragging my bf down with me.

When can we begin adding to the berserker pool?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Probably June 1, like pre-registration.

Also since I did not last year (the 11414.14 total amused me too much), I'm chipping in the $18.40 that we collectively raised by falling in Dr. Clapperclaw's Deadly Speed Trap once donations for 2015 are open, so we've got almost two berserkers on the tree right off the hop.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Kyrosiris posted:

Also since I did not last year (the 11414.14 total amused me too much), I'm chipping in the $18.40 that we collectively raised by falling in Dr. Clapperclaw's Deadly Speed Trap once donations for 2015 are open, so we've got almost two berserkers on the tree right off the hop.

drat straight you are.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

I'll do the same as last year and chip in at least 10 zerks.

Do we still have the "take a berzerker leave a berzerker" image?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Yay so excited about this. I plan to introduce a whole bunch of people to this this year.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Golden Goat posted:

Do we still have the "take a berzerker leave a berzerker" image?

Second post.

I still can't believe y'all made fanart last year. :swoon:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I would much rather have a Berserker than a Chemist.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

alcharagia posted:

I secretly dream of a 3 Zerks and a Knight.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

alcharagia posted:

Well, duh. Chemist is overpowered and while fun, when its one of the few things you can do it quickly gets boring.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

That's why they're in the pantry, available to be pulled out in a time of need.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
This year. This year I will beat those optional bosses. I don't care what it takes.

I loved playing it on my game boy micro last year but I'll just do it on GBA.EMU for Android this year because it looks great and I kinda need the fast forward button at this point. I am EXCITED OH BOY I LOVE FF5 FIESTA :dance:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Gonna be my first time playing FF5, but gently caress it. Kept meaning to get around to it!

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

This year I will actually finish the game while under Fiesta rules. I have finished the game without them but every time I've tried to run for the Fiesta I just... stop.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Maybe i'm crazy, but I might actually do the Fiesta this year! :dance:

I tried a 4-job run last year on my own to see if i'd like it but lost interest very shortly after I started. :( Hopefully not this time though! It might actually push me into finally completing the game.

Question: Is it against the rules to use an emulator so I can fast forward through cutscenes/random battles?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Question: Is it against the rules to use an emulator so I can fast forward through cutscenes/random battles?

Not even remotely. Those of us crazy enough to do lots of runs (I did, what, 11 last year?) pretty much all universally use emulators for fast forward. No way in hell I could do as many runs as I normally do otherwise. :shobon:

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Grinding statues in real time. :stonk:

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I forgot it was this time of year!

I'll have to enter when I get back from a trip in early June, but I'm definitely interested in seeing what this #RegChaos is.

edit: ^^^^^ I did, though admittedly I didn't do a ton of statue grinding. I don't really run on fast forward most of the time.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Can't wait for this! Completed four runs last summer, hoping for at least five this year.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Asiina posted:

Grinding statues in real time. :stonk:

Grinding statues isn't that bad on the iOS version because of autobattle.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

MrAristocrates posted:

Grinding statues isn't that bad on the iOS version because of autobattle.

Does it intelligently chuck Golden Needles at the next statue in line? I hate that the GBA version will (if you input commands fast enough) chuck needles at Statues that no longer exist.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Also the speed trap wouldn't be what it is if you weren't going 5x the speed you're supposed to be going.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Kyrosiris posted:

Not even remotely. Those of us crazy enough to do lots of runs (I did, what, 11 last year?) pretty much all universally use emulators for fast forward. No way in hell I could do as many runs as I normally do otherwise. :shobon:

Sweet!

Now I have this crazy idea in my head of doing multiple runs simultaneously.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Kyrosiris posted:

Does it intelligently chuck Golden Needles at the next statue in line? I hate that the GBA version will (if you input commands fast enough) chuck needles at Statues that no longer exist.

Yeah, pretty sure. I had a Red Mage on my iOS run, so that was fun.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Sweet!

Gilgabot can't handle that unless you use multiple twitters.

Which, I mean, nothing's stopping you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Sweet!

You'd need multiple twitter accounts - you can't have more than one run active at a time on a given account - but that would be hilarious to watch, like those "one input, two/three/four games completed" TASes of megaman games.

• Locked thread