Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
23 runs and 16 triple crowns. No way am I doing that many again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

4 runs, 3 triple crowns. I was going to skip Omega and Shinryu on my last run, but I got Chemist.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

The last couple years I did ~12 each. This year I only did 3. Just a busy summer this time sadly.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

CVagts posted:

How did you do that without getting bored? I've only done five runs, and I already felt like that was too much.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I did a mere two runs this year, but both were triple crowns. Last year I had four runs, and the year before I had seven. That seemed like a lot at the time, but you people are kinda putting it to shame.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

CVagts posted:

Jesus loving christ :stare:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
One run because I burned out way too early, no triple crown. Partly because I basically waited until the last minute to finish my run and didn't have time, and partly because while I could have theoretically killed both Omega and Shinryu with my team and a bit of luck, I really didn't want to deal with the headache of facing them with Blue Mage/Berserker/Beastmaster/Berserker.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
I want to know how AxelRyman did 26/26 triple crown runs. I'm assuming he had to Job Fair more than a few runs; getting assigned a Triple Crown capable team for that many runs would require astronomical luck, and I don't think any amount of leveling would let you overcome Omega with a normal team, given that most of its attacks are percentage-based.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

9 runs, 6 triple crowns, 2 that killed Shinryu but not Omega.

The one that just killed ExDeath was the first one because Monk/Zerk/Sam/Zerk, gently caress that.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Bufuman posted:

I want to know how AxelRyman did 26/26 triple crown runs. I'm assuming he had to Job Fair more than a few runs; getting assigned a Triple Crown capable team for that many runs would require astronomical luck, and I don't think any amount of leveling would let you overcome Omega with a normal team, given that most of its attacks are percentage-based.

I did 20/20 triples; some were more annoying than others but really all that is necessary is SOMETHING (Black, Time, Summon, Dance, Jump, Rapidfire, Mix off the top of my head), that can hurt him and enough elixirs. Between 4 classes you'll probably get something; I didn't job fair anything.

Shinryu isn't a particular problem.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

When I was going full tilt it was probably about... 2-3 hours each night, fast forwarded through most fights and dungeons besides Dr. Clapperclaw's speed trap. So about 4 days, give or take depending on weekends and junk. So 12-15ish wins.

So either they play more, fastforward more, or are more aggressive about trying to keep low levels. Unless I had a blue mage or white mage, I'd usually grind to be able to eat Almagest without dying.

Oh yeah, and I'd have a raw save right after the wind shrine. Since not even fast forwarding will save you from the intro video which would take another 2-3 hours to dredge through. :v:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

FeyerbrandX posted:

When I was going full tilt it was probably about... 2-3 hours each night, fast forwarded through most fights and dungeons besides Dr. Clapperclaw's speed trap. So about 4 days, give or take depending on weekends and junk. So 12-15ish wins.

So either they play more, fastforward more, or are more aggressive about trying to keep low levels. Unless I had a blue mage or white mage, I'd usually grind to be able to eat Almagest without dying.

Oh yeah, and I'd have a raw save right after the wind shrine. Since not even fast forwarding will save you from the intro video which would take another 2-3 hours to dredge through. :v:

There's also the possibility that they don't have real life jobs to worry about. :v:

Also they could be cheating. Since all you need to nab a victory is a shot of the bosses fading against the appropriate classes, there's nothing to stop people from just Gamesharking it up and running other classes or what have you. Not that I'm accusing anyone of doing so, mind you (I don't even know these people, and accusing strangers of hax just because they're better than you at a game is an rear end in a top hat thing to do), and not that it matters in the end anyway, since it's all for charity. Hell, I'm willing to bet a good chunk of goons abused the Quicksave glitch to avoid encounters (or force Stingray or Mover spawns). I sure as hell did.

Also, 2-3 hours? That sounds generous even if you're not fast-forwarding through the intro. My own FJF start-point save is just after getting the wind jobs, viewing the overnight scenes in Tule at Zok's and the inn (the one with Bartz and Galuf freaking out over Faris' bishie power) and viewing the scene on the ship afterward. It would probably take me an hour to see all of that from the beginning of the game, even without fast forward, and maybe 15 minutes with it.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Personally when it comes to cheating/exploits, I'm still bitter about him not accepting the Kiss of Blessing glitch anymore. Any party with a Chemist in it can beat Neo Exdeath easily enough with a little bit of planning and strategy anyway, and it's fun to do.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Samuel Clemens posted:

How did you do that without getting bored? I've only done five runs, and I already felt like that was too much.

a) My emulator worked at like 1500-2000%, so zipping through story, grinding, etc was pretty easy.

b) I had no other games that I wanted to play for like a solid month and a half so I just charged through as many runs as I could.

My goal was 25, once I got to like 16 or so, but I got to the Big Bridge on run 24 and just gave up and never went back.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Bufuman posted:

Also, 2-3 hours? That sounds generous even if you're not fast-forwarding through the intro. My own FJF start-point save is just after getting the wind jobs, viewing the overnight scenes in Tule at Zok's and the inn (the one with Bartz and Galuf freaking out over Faris' bishie power) and viewing the scene on the ship afterward. It would probably take me an hour to see all of that from the beginning of the game, even without fast forward, and maybe 15 minutes with it.

It just seems like 2-3 hours. To listen to Lenna talk slowly to the King.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Huh. I see the iOS version of FFV is on Steam now. Even MORE ways to Fiesta!

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I'm satisfied with my two runs this year, both successful. One triple crown, thanks to Time Mage, the other was just NED. This was the first time Fiesta-ing and the first time I ever managed to beat FF5. I think having only four jobs to choose from really helped streamline the game for me, because once they were all mastered I didn't have to grind JP anymore and I could just focus on the story, do I didn't have time to get bored or discouraged.

I couldn't donate this year, but hopefully next year I'll have a bit of money to give to charity. At least my runs helped to contribute in their own small way. :unsmith:

Well done, everyone!

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I did a mere 1 run this year, albeit triple crowned. It was a 750 berserker risk, which turned out to be a really nice combo overall. I'll probably do that again next year as my first run.

I normally do more, but I was slightly distracted by this thing called Heavensward.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I also did only one run this year, but didn't dedicate so much time to it as life (also, Heavensward) diverted my attention from it and running the game once per year is more than enough for me so I took my sweet time.

Despite having a good party (beastmaster, bard, chemist, chemist) I didn't beat it until 3 days after the fiesta ended. A bit of a bummer in that regard, but it was still satisfying to see the ending screen after such a slow burn. It was good to be forced into learning how OP chemist is, too! I did have chemist one year but my other members were such good damage dealers that I didn't have to bother learning to utilise !Mix. Sure would've made things a bit easier though :v:

Loved Chaos mode too, definitely doing that next year if nothing new comes up.

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

I didn't finish my one run. I got a little past the fourth crystal and then my hard drive failed, and I just didn't feel like replaying it. I might just do it later just to say I did however.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I did five runs with two of them ending up triple crowns, I might have possibly been able to get a third on my second run (Knight/Summoner/Ranger/Dancer) but I didn't have the patience to try.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
I also didn't finish my one run (due to moving shenanigans), but I'll likely finish it on my own time just for the principle of it.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

The IRC is so empty now. :sigh:

If we can't have a FFVFestivus, could we keep a revolving Flavor of the Month of different games in the series? Getting to chat with and exchange tips and lore with all the other players was, for me, the best part of the Fiesta.

(Aside from Gilgamesh, I mean.)

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

StrangeAeon posted:

The IRC is so empty now. :sigh:

If we can't have a FFVFestivus, could we keep a revolving Flavor of the Month of different games in the series? Getting to chat with and exchange tips and lore with all the other players was, for me, the best part of the Fiesta.

(Aside from Gilgamesh, I mean.)

I'd be down with that... except there just aren't many FF games I would bother playing these days. I think 1, 4, 5 and 6 are about it.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

I just started 6, actually. Well-- the Brave New World mod, specifically. But that's still enough games to get a good start, especially if there's 2 months/a month and a half per game.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
I'm not one for casual chatting (and by extension IRC), but I could be convinced to participate in a general JRPG chat.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Yeah, it'd make more sense to have a general FF or jRPG channel for casual discussion. At least I'd love something like that.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Mega64 posted:

Yeah, it'd make more sense to have a general FF or jRPG channel for casual discussion. At least I'd love something like that.

I'm down with that, but I'm way too lazy to make it :effort:

Besides, it should really be done by one of you guys who don't vanish off IRC for two months at a time like I can do sometimes.

If you decide to create such a thing, please post it here and in the #ffvfiesta chat.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Fenrir posted:

I'm down with that, but I'm way too lazy to make it :effort:

Besides, it should really be done by one of you guys who don't vanish off IRC for two months at a time like I can do sometimes.

If you decide to create such a thing, please post it here and in the #ffvfiesta chat.

I would also enjoy this. I could chatter about my class-based FF7 run.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Dareon posted:

I would also enjoy this. I could chatter about my class-based FF7 run.

I'm curious and the fiesta is over so hell why not post about it :justpost:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Well, I say "class-based", but it's more a shorthand for "A pile of materia that loosely matches one or two classes' skill sets". Initially I checked for extant class-based challenge runs, but it was all "Make this character this class, use only these materia, I don't care that some of them are only available on disc three." I wanted to keep the spirit of the class-based structure while maintaining a majority of the flexibility that materia gives you. I decided that someone needs to have either everything I can stick on them to fill a role, or only a single thing. Like Cloud started with Lightning-All, and I thought "Okay, he's now a Black Mage. Barret, you get the Restore materia, you're now my White Mage." Everything else was just playing it by ear, especially where "sub-classes" were involved. Like, early on I had Monk with Deathblow, Restore-All, and Life to give the feel of the FFT Monk with Chakra and Revive. Since that's only four slots filled, I would think "Well, might as well give them Steal, too, since I don't have anything else that matches Thief..."

Once I got more than one summon, I either had to equip all of them on one person, or only give them Choco/Mog or one of the main three (Ifrit/Shiva/Ramuh) to support another class. A Time Mage needed Time, Gravity, and Comet, and if I wanted someone to subclass Time Mage, they could absolutely not have Comet. Black Mage eventually got Throw-MP Absorb to represent Lancet (I bought several dozen early-game swords for throwing purposes once I started mastering materia). A Beastmaster build had all the Enemy Skill materia (Doesn't add anything, but at least all of them get the skills) plus Manipulate and Added Effect-Transform.

Some classes "fully unlock" way later in the game than they would if the designers had made any plans for class-based gameplay. Like a key feature of Ninja is double attack, but I just hit disc three and don't have the 2xCut materia yet. It's just been subclassing with Throw so far. I have been cripplingly overspecialized on occasion, mostly when I realize I forgot to give whoever's hauling all the White Mage materia (Restore, Heal, Life, Mystify, Seal, Barrier, maybe Destruct if it's not on the Time Mage) an attack besides just hitting things.

Primarily for me, it's interesting just coming back to FF7 after over a decade and seeing how it holds up. One thing that was obvious coming in fresh off of FFV is how much of a transitional phase 7 was between the styles of the series, from the moderately-wacky jumble of grab-bag characters, monsters, and motivations of 4, 5, and 6 to the more planned and structured ecologies and plotlines of 8 onward. Like some of FF7's enemies are three-dimensional versions of ones from prior games (And I don't just mean Malboros and Behemoths, but things that haven't become staples, like Death Claws) and others are just weird and have no internally consistent ecological niche, like the Jokers and russian doll enemies near Corel/Costa Del Sol.

And it has held up well, the combat is still enjoyable, the minigames are still fun, the characters are still interestingly-characterized. About the only thing that bothers me now that didn't bother my younger self is the Highwind having two upgrades that are basically just jettisoning the old engines and firing up go-faster ones. One's an "oh poo poo" button in the ending cutscene, but still.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Interesting ideas. I can see some potential for this. A Knight with Cover and HP Plus and stuff. Run one of your long-range characters as a pseudo-Ranger and give them Quad Cut. Make someone a FFT Mime and give them only the Mime materia. A Red Mage-type with W-Magic and Fire/Ice/Lighting/Cure at first or second level; if any of them level past that, buy a brand new one and wear that instead (plus maybe some status materia like Mystify).

The sucky thing about doing a FF7 White Mage is that they can't ever get Holy since it's a plot spell there. :smith:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Eh Ultima is white enough. Black's covered by Destroy and Time by Comet2 so Ultimate the leftover big spell.

E: VVV The story's probably not as dumb as you remember, read the LP if you haven't.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Oct 3, 2015

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
drat, that makes a lot of sense. I was expecting it to sound silly, then you provided a big wall of text with a lot of reasonable poo poo.

I... you know what, I might even actually try that, even though I haven't played FF7 in about 15 years. I never liked the dumb rear end story but I *loved* the materia system and playing around like that might actually revive my interest in the game.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Fenrir posted:

drat, that makes a lot of sense. I was expecting it to sound silly, then you provided a big wall of text with a lot of reasonable poo poo.

I... you know what, I might even actually try that, even though I haven't played FF7 in about 15 years.

Huh. I'm in agreement, that DOES sound oddly compelling.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

You should all LP it so that we have three LP megathreads from this one. :getin:

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
I'm doing my first ever playthrough of FFV to prepare my anus for the 2016 Fiesta. I'm about to enter Walze Castle, and I'm wondering if there are any good strategies for grabbing the Elf Mantle at low levels on iOS. I'd like to avoid running away from Harpies if I can, but I also don't want to fight them.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

I'm doing my first ever playthrough of FFV to prepare my anus for the 2016 Fiesta. I'm about to enter Walze Castle, and I'm wondering if there are any good strategies for grabbing the Elf Mantle at low levels on iOS. I'd like to avoid running away from Harpies if I can, but I also don't want to fight them.

Come back with !flee or !smoke.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Are you not running because you eventually want the Brave Blade? Forget that, Chicken Knife is significantly better, mostly due to the fact that it can be equipped by more than just Knights and Gladiators, and it's sole drawback (the 25% chance of triggering a !Flee effect when attacking) can be circumvented with most of the better Attack substitutes (!Rapid-Fire, for example).

That said, there really isn't a way for getting around them in the iOS version without killing them (if you were playing the GBA version, the quicksave glitch would help, but I doubt they left that in the port), and you probably won't manage that at low levels. Aside from the aforementioned !Flee/Smoke, you can also kill them later with 1000 Needles or a Chemist using Succubus Kiss (Maiden's Kiss + Turtle Shell) to pierce their stupid high defenses, but neither of those are available until after the Earth Crystal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Bufuman posted:

Are you not running because you eventually want the Brave Blade? Forget that, Chicken Knife is significantly better, mostly due to the fact that it can be equipped by more than just Knights and Gladiators, and it's sole drawback (the 25% chance of triggering a !Flee effect when attacking) can be circumvented with most of the better Attack substitutes (!Rapid-Fire, for example).

That said, there really isn't a way for getting around them in the iOS version without killing them (if you were playing the GBA version, the quicksave glitch would help, but I doubt they left that in the port), and you probably won't manage that at low levels. Aside from the aforementioned !Flee/Smoke, you can also kill them later with 1000 Needles or a Chemist using Succubus Kiss (Maiden's Kiss + Turtle Shell) to pierce their stupid high defenses, but neither of those are available until after the Earth Crystal.

I was wondering whether all the effort of getting Brave Blade was worth it. If the Chicken Knife's disadvantage can be easily mitigated, then I'll just try fleeing from Harpies.

dis astranagant posted:

Come back with !flee or !smoke.

I've got a thief going, so I'll get !flee and then attempt it.

• Locked thread