Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Karate, show solidarity with your friend getting into Smash and maybe he'll put in a good word for you the next time Marvel vs Capcom rolls around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Karate

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?
I want to sacrifice my vote to nullify a Carnival vote, because Gene doesn't need a dumb fetish costume to humiliate enemies. :colbert:

If I can't unvote a choice, count this as a vote for literally any other costume or no costume.

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Carnival leads with 11 votes
Karate has 9 votes

Voting ends this Sunday evening PST, in a little less than ~20h

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Karate.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Gotta go with the classic Karate.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Karate

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I always wondered what is up with the demons all having a partial skull. It's similar to the ones you see Constantine. Anyone know what they're both drawing this inspiration from?

e: constantine came out a year before God Hand did, maybe that movie was the inspiration for GH?

Pingcode
Feb 25, 2011
Carnival :colbert:

Demonbait
Apr 14, 2014
Carnival because we're brutal and ruthless.

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Mindblast posted:

I always wondered what is up with the demons all having a partial skull. It's similar to the ones you see Constantine. Anyone know what they're both drawing this inspiration from?

e: constantine came out a year before God Hand did, maybe that movie was the inspiration for GH?

Sounds plausible, although I bet it's another one of those obscure Japanese pop culture reference, or they went with this design because it looked cool or something.

X_countryguy
Dec 31, 2007

Whatscha holdup, Tron? If you don't hurry up there's not gonna be any pizza left!
Karate

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Karate - gotta wax-on, wax-off, Gene-san.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Pesky Splinter posted:

Karate - gotta wax-on, wax-off, Gene-san.

You can wax on wax off all you like, I'm still voting Carnivale.

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

Karate :colbert:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Karate. Seen the Carnivale too much.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Karate. Gene can have his dignity stripped from him later; there's plenty more levels to go!

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
Karate, because I like the idea of that homeless dude, Ryu, wandering into an amusement park then proceeding to kick some rear end.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Karate

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!

Demonbait posted:

Carnival because we're brutal and ruthless.

This.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
I'm so sick of ryu related things

Carnival

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Alrighty, thanks for voting guys. The Karate GI outfit wins with 19 votes. Next update should be in a couple days.

In the meantime, here's a sneak peek of stage 3:

http://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DiuJRcRtmx5Q

X_countryguy
Dec 31, 2007

Whatscha holdup, Tron? If you don't hurry up there's not gonna be any pizza left!
Well, uh, women are more flexible than men?

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
Yeah, those are some impressive...legs.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Reminds me of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE8_1WbEd3g&t=141s

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Tangentially related, but way back I was doing a challenge run of Pokemon LeafGreen, and when I got to Brock I decided to do the comic entry a la God Hand. Then I realized how awkward it is doing human poses with a character whose face is their body.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

hardcoreviolenceshow's run of god hand is pretty solid and funny 3/10

Thanks for recommending it mkob!

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

I'm so glad this video still exists, it's one of the best cases for video games being art.

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Zeikier posted:

Tangentially related, but way back I was doing a challenge run of Pokemon LeafGreen, and when I got to Brock I decided to do the comic entry a la God Hand. Then I realized how awkward it is doing human poses with a character whose face is their body.

Hey that's cute.

Yeah he's cool, make sure to check out his other god hand videos.

Update #24

Masochysteria
Mr. GODHAND

Join us for Masochysteria!
Take part in the world's most famous S&M show!
Beginners more than welcome!

Cirque du sadique Ringmaster
-Shannon

Video might be blocked in certain countries because youtube is dumb with their copyright stuff

Stage 3-1 An Adult Playground
Stage 3-1 KMS

Moveset used:

Moveset used in KMS video:
Square moveset:
Jab, Straight, Short Uppercut, Chin Music, etc. the usual

Face buttons:
Charged Punch
High Cross Kick
Somersault
Forearm Smash 1
Spinning Backfist

Map

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I never noticed the writing on the back of the karate uniform. I can't quite make out the fine print at the bottom though, any idea what that says?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Wait, why was there no spike demon in the KMS video?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Please make sure you get a clown stinger on video before you finish this stage, for some reason it just cracks me up.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!
...words don't even begin to describe how loving silly and amazing this update was. Those spinning boxes, man...and the jump cuts.

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Sindai posted:

Wait, why was there no spike demon in the KMS video?

Demons aren't fixed and the type that spawns is always random (technically this is true, I've addressed this in update 15).

But basically, the type of demon you get (either default purple demon, blade demon, spike demon, and lastly trident demon) depends on the difficulty level you're at (1, 2, 3 and DIE). From level 1 to 2, you have a higher chance of getting the default and spike demon, while from level 3 to DIE you get a lot of blade and trident demons, and sometimes a purple or spikey one. Just randomness, so from stage to stage you'll get an entirely different demon spawn or none at all.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

That other LP you showed briefly in the video - who was that? I recognized the voice.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Samovar posted:

That other LP you showed briefly in the video - who was that? I recognized the voice.

One of them was slowbeef. I didn't recognize the other guy.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Hulk Hogan has a God Hand? :aaaaa:

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Trogdos! posted:

Hulk Hogan has a God Hand? :aaaaa:

Fingerpoke of Doom. One of the most important nights ever in wrestling.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
Some notes on prior videos:

1. When Elvis's portrait turns blue, Elvis himself actually also changes to reflect the portrait.

2. It seems like the 3 Stooges got weapon and armor upgrades between the flashback and their boss fight stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Update #25

Hey kids :eng101:

Air Launch Kick & Shoryuken follow-up against airborne opponents

This one is more of a trick than a real advanced technique as it lets you do an air launch kick/shoryuken follow-up against enemies who perform one of those weird mid-air backflip dodge.

You've seen me do this a lot and might have been wondering what the hell that was. When juggling enemies (punching them while they're airborne), they tend to turn berserk with smoke coming out of their ears then air-backflip. This is one of the very few AI's fail-safe mechanic to get out of your combos (others being them rolling on the ground or even crawl like the female enemies do), however there is a way to counter that by dashing forward as soon as the enemy air-dodges then buffering the air launch kick or shoryuken input (up+triangle & down+triangle). Turns out when an enemy is doing one of those backflips, he or she gets right at the perfect height for an air launch kick/shoryuken, that's why the trick works.

There's no way to predict when or when an enemy is actually going to air-backflip, you are gambling every time, so whenever you see me punching a dude then immediately dashing forward followed by a running kick that completely whiffs, that means I was hoping I could land an air launch kick.

Having said that though, there's a way to trigger one of those air-backflips, with the help of multi-hit moves; the AI was designed to air-dodge after you punch them a certain random X amount of times, but the more hits you do in a short period against an airborne opponent, the more chance you have for them to air-backflip. The rest is just reaction, but mostly gambling with the AI.

mkob fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 11, 2015

• Locked thread