Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Concordat posted:

I may be mistaken, but I think Mr.Red Robot is the first enemy to counter your counter suplex, requiring you to perform a counter-counter suplex

Nah the elite skinny guys can do it to you and so can the regular guys if the level is high enough i think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
I think the standard enemies don't start doing it to you until stage 5.

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Concordat posted:

I may be mistaken, but I think Mr.Red Robot is the first enemy to counter your counter suplex, requiring you to perform a counter-counter suplex

I'm not familiar with these Elite red robots that much, you only get to fight two or three of them in the entire game, so I've no idea if they can counter your suplex or not. Enemies start countering suplex prompts randomly I think from stage 5 or 6 until the end of the game.

Update #31

Juggle moves

Let's have a rundown of the juggle system in the game :eng101:

In every god hand video I look on youtube, people seem to completely ignore juggle moves. Juggles are insanely good for crowd control as they will send enemies at the right height for an air launch kick or dragon punch follow-up. On Normal difficulty of course you can make do without them and beat the game no problem but when it comes to Hard difficulty, you really should use juggles since there's no reason not to, especially if you're attempting a KMS run (no god hand, no roulettes allowed.)

There's two types of juggle property:

-You send a dude above Gene's head;
-You send a dude in front of Gene's face;

On the left, yellow line is in front of Gene's face;
On the right, red square is above Gene's head;

Above head height juggle

Flying Knee

The following moves will lift dudes above Gene's head at the right height for an Air Launch Kick or Dragon Punch. Perfect for crowd control: launching dudes into other dudes to give you a breather and deal damage to them.

Double Snap Kick is the only juggle move in the entire game that will instantly send Elites at air launch kick height (not counting a quick charged punch counter-hit of course). For Fatties, two quick charged punch while they're stunned will do the trick (as seen throughout the let's play). I think two quick charged punch is enough against midgets as well. As for mooks, any of the following juggles will work. List of the moves:

-Rocket Uppercut;
-Half Moon Kick (costs an arm but looks cool);
-Flying Knee (can home-in on enemies, pretty nifty);
-Mule Kick (god awful recovery animation, not safe at all);
-Flying Triple (is a multi-hit move so dudes might dodge it);
-Somersault (same as Mule Kick, just terrible but looks cool);
-Double Snap Kick (only raw juggle that can send Elites type at Air Launch Kick height);
-Hand Plant Kick (has an "Evade High Attack" property during the first half of the animation, pretty broken);
-La Bomba (roulette move). Works as an Area of Effect attack, will send dudes in the air and lets you buffer air launch kick/shoryuken. Side note: you can cancel its recovery animation;

Double Snap Kick OP

Then there's Charged Punch that lets you send mooks and elites in the air but only when any of these specifics are met:

-Land a fully charged Charged Punch;
-Land a quick Charged Punch counter-hit;
-Land a quick Charged Punch after a successful guard break;
-Land a Charged Punch (fully charged or not) against a stunned enemy (except fatties, you need two quick charged punch);

And finally two moves I almost forgot, Axe Kick and its Kick follow-up:

-Against a downed enemy, press Up + Triangle to perform an Axe kick. When fully charged, it will send enemies above Gene's head. If not charged, it will send them at torso level;
-The kick follow-up (press Triangle after Axe Kick) will send a baddie above Gene's head;

Above torso height juggle

Quick Charged Punch

The following moves will lift enemies at torso height/in front of Gene's face. Doing a quick Charged Punch + kick/launch follow-up is crucial on Hard difficulty/DIE level for crowd control as enemies are resistant to instant-launch attacks -- though I went over this earlier, you can bypass enemies' instant-launch resistance by landing counter-hits. List of the moves:

-One-Two Punch (first hit juggles, second hit launches);
-Stomping Fist;
-Heel Drop (deals more damage than Stomping Fist but is slower)
-A quick (read: non-charged or barely charged) Charged Punch;
-Axe Kick (when not charged or barely charged);

One-Two Punch unique property

The first hit of One-Two Punch will send enemies above Gene's head but only against stunned enemies while you have the God Hand active. Why or how it works, no one will ever know since none of the other moves in the game do that :iiam:

In conclusion, you shouldn't neglect juggle moves, they make air game and crowd control so much easier especially on Hard difficulty. Watch out though, landing a juggle isn't 100% guaranteed, enemies might dodge the hits anyway. Having said that, you can still counter an enemy who air-dodges by dashing forward and following up either with an air launch kick or a shoryuken (I already went over this in a previous update.)

mkob fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Aug 10, 2015

Worklurker
Jan 2, 2014
I have to say, watching your videos is like watching a slap-stick looney toons cartoon, I love it!

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
So, do you play other games much?

I'm curious, because I'd love to be this good at a game, but if it means dropping everything and focusing on one single game for weeks or months at a time... I don't think even God Hand could keep my focus that long. Same reason I've never been able to really break into Street Fighter. So I guess I'm wondering if you seriously sat down and studied and trained to do this stuff or if you just ended up coming back to God Hand off and on because you happen to like playing it until Hard KMS run just sort of happened.

Fake edit: My name is magikid and I take video games very seriously.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Concordat posted:

wouldn't it be a counter-counter-counter suplex at that point? :v:

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Aug 10, 2015

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

magikid posted:

So, do you play other games much?

Yeah of course. It's just that I've been playing this game once or twice a week during the past two years so it's a cumulative thing. God hand really isn't that hard to understand or even close to being technical compared to a DMC or ninja gaiden, the "skill"-level entry is really low. I guess people are just intimidated by the lovely tank controls, weird camera and having to use the right stick to dodge so it can take them a while to get in the right mindset to play the game (or they don't get in the mindset and go for spamming the same moves over and over to kill everything, that works too except they don't learn anything.)

Like it took me a good week in bayonetta to use dodge-offset and change style with dante in dmc4, it takes a while to practice and learn how to play games like that, you don't get good over night. Recently I started playing that Rising Thunder alpha fighting game and I couldn't stand how the controls felt and how lost I was at first, but I spent 3 days with the game and now I "get it".

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I think you're selling yourself a little short. Judging from these and your Jetstream videos, your reflexes and on the fly tactics in these games are pretty sharp, way higher than average. It's not just memorizing enemy tells and AI patterns.

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

I totally suck rear end at technical stuff though, I'm horrible at DMC3 and 4, these games are way too fast and require years and years of training just to nail the execution down so I think that's what drawn me to god hand and to some extent jetstream sam in MGR since his moveset is limited and the game isn't that execution-heavy. God hand is not technical, not too complicated in term of mechanics either, you just punch and kick people a lot and mash the right stick to dodge. So yeah it helps I've been playing the game for so long (2 or 3 years, I forget) it sort of became my jam (not like that one guy I know who claims he's been speedrunning the game for 7 years but still can't beat hard difficulty without cheesing and never bothered documenting anything about the game). I wish I would have spent 2 years playing DMC4 instead of god hand though, but it's too late now and I'm too old :smith:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
If you can handle Sam, you can handle DMC4 Nero. He probably has even fewer moves and his whole super power shtick is timing trigger squeezes with his hit frames to get extra damage, it's easy.
DMC4 Dante is a whole other can of worms, I don't know how people play him well without having two left thumbs.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

mkob posted:

(not like that one guy I know who claims he's been speedrunning the game for 7 years but still can't beat hard difficulty without cheesing and never bothered documenting anything about the game)
I didn't think you needed to document it that much.

Step 1. Get Drunken Twist.
Step 2. Abuse it.
Step 3. Profit.

(I do say this while sucking at this game a lot.)

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Hoss Corncave posted:

I didn't think you needed to document it that much.

Nah I meant writing stuff about the mechanics to help people understand how to play the game since there's no tutorial, like what you see in the thread. If we're talking about cheesing strategy, then yeah that's been already documented on gamefaqs in the ~God Hand Bible~ where someone sat down and thought "you know what, I will document every single cheesing and spamming strategy in the game, that will help people understand how to play better". Imagine if someone did that for DMC or ninja gaiden, the "izuna drop and stinger spam bible" that's ridiculous

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008
I've been watching these videos non-stop for the last 3 days. Amazing work! Forgive me if this has already been answered but... what's the best way to hold the controller? I know you're using an emulator so it may be a bit different, but when I use a PS3 controller, I have a really hard time going from Square to Right Stick with my right thumb, so cancelling stuff is a gamble. The stick sometimes bounces back too hard and I get an accidental sidestep in there or something.

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Espresso Steampunk posted:

I've been watching these videos non-stop for the last 3 days. Amazing work! Forgive me if this has already been answered but... what's the best way to hold the controller? I know you're using an emulator so it may be a bit different, but when I use a PS3 controller, I have a really hard time going from Square to Right Stick with my right thumb, so cancelling stuff is a gamble. The stick sometimes bounces back too hard and I get an accidental sidestep in there or something.

Hello, thanks and welcome to the party. I'm using a PS3 controller too and I accidentally sidestep sometimes whenever I want to up-dodge, but only when I enter inputs too fast, so you should go slower on the right stick. The way I see it, cancelling and dodging in god hand is like Parrying in Metal Gear Rising (you have to press a direction + the attack button before getting hit) and Dodge-Offset in Bayonetta (you hold a face button while dodging); two techniques that become pure muscle memory the more you play the game. Use your right thumb to slowly slide back and forth from the right stick to the face buttons, try not to be too self-conscious about it and give it a couple days.

Update #32

Stage 4-5 You, Me, Pattycake

KMS video will be next update

Song used during the video clip is "Revelation" from El Shaddai

Techniques used

Map

Shockwave 2

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

...this is a very minor point I know, especailly considering the skill shown in breaking this game over your knee, BUT...

...panel has only one 'n'.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Samovar posted:

...this is a very minor point I know, especailly considering the skill shown in breaking this game over your knee, BUT...

...panel has only one 'n'.

Yeah, but "pannel" has two of them.

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008

Szurumbur posted:

Yeah, but "pannel" has two of them.

The second n is for "neuticles," which the demons end up needing.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
What's with the smoking skull on the difficulty indicator? Joke? Did you add that to keep track of the different recordings?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I want to imagine the reason the bots are all stuck outside, is that their programming makes them beat up any bot who tries to use the switch for the door.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

notZaar posted:

What's with the smoking skull on the difficulty indicator? Joke? Did you add that to keep track of the different recordings?
Level DIE skeleton needs a smoke after what mkob's done to him.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Hey Mike, tell me about GamerGate ethics in game journalism.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

TechnoSyndrome posted:

You sure showed this fucker, he's a goddamned nerd and possibly a geek

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

What video was that a comment on?

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Is this a hidden level in God Hand I'm not aware of?

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Erwin the German posted:

Is this a hidden level in God Hand I'm not aware of?

Apparently~ Since this is relevant to God Hand in some way shape or form and not completely random for no reason.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
IGN gave God Hand a bad score when it came out, also gamergate centers around on of their journalists.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Hbomberguy posted:

What video was that a comment on?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6DCSr-Nm2Q

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Yo, knock it off. That poo poo is completely unrelated to this LP.

If there's something amiss, mkob can chime in and say his piece, but I don't wanna see this crap in this subforum (especially if off-site digging is involved). It makes things go toxic and nobody wins.

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Yeah if only Sargon of Akad could go back in time and save God Hand from the claws of the cultural Marxist IGN. Next update should be in a couple days and I'm looking forward the Azel boss fight to finally show off some 1v1 mixups I've been working on.

late edit for clarification: work on your poe's law, shitlord

mkob fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 21, 2015

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

mkob posted:

Nah I meant writing stuff about the mechanics to help people understand how to play the game since there's no tutorial, like what you see in the thread. If we're talking about cheesing strategy, then yeah that's been already documented on gamefaqs in the ~God Hand Bible~ where someone sat down and thought "you know what, I will document every single cheesing and spamming strategy in the game, that will help people understand how to play better".

Which is why I'm glad for this LP. Your videos are as informative as they are entertaining, and I'm really enjoying both the stuff you're showing and the way you're showing it.

mkob posted:

Imagine if someone did that for DMC or ninja gaiden, the "izuna drop and stinger spam bible" that's ridiculous

Don't forget Flying Swallow.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Hoss Corncave posted:

Don't forget Flying Swallow.

Those are my bread and buttah that's for sure.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I actually think move spamming in NGB is valid because that game isn't about style. It's so brutally unfair that you need to respond in kind with cheap moves and efficient dispatching of enemies. I would almost label it survival action like RE4 (except that that game does have a sense of style).

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Update #33

Stage 4-6 Iron Bridge Fashion Show

Leave the Youtube annotations ON

Moveset used

Map

mkob fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Oct 30, 2015

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

How did you dodge those attacks at 04:50?!?!?!?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Check the glowing hand, he had the God Hand on.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

mkob posted:

Nah I meant writing stuff about the mechanics to help people understand how to play the game since there's no tutorial, like what you see in the thread. If we're talking about cheesing strategy, then yeah that's been already documented on gamefaqs in the ~God Hand Bible~ where someone sat down and thought "you know what, I will document every single cheesing and spamming strategy in the game, that will help people understand how to play better". Imagine if someone did that for DMC or ninja gaiden, the "izuna drop and stinger spam bible" that's ridiculous

~the God Hand Bible~ posted:

Special Combos

Want to know what tricks the pros use? Then look no further. Here are some tricks that will help you in a variety of situations. I also put in a few tricks that I personally use. Assume that any time a “+” is used that you should use a dodge for canceling, though it isn’t always necessary for every one of these combos.

Chain Yanker + Yes Man Kablaam + Yes Man Kablaam + Reaction
This is a godly combo to say the least. Watch your tension skyrocket with this. If you’re fast enough, you can also get in a couple normal hits before you do the reaction command.

High Side Kick Spamming
Get an enemy against a wall (or a corner if possible) and spam the move. The enemy will sometimes try to jump out of it, but keep your timing and the enemy can sometimes get back into the spamming. You can also use side-dodging to help control which direction in which he will try to escape from. This works against male enemies better because female enemies fall to the ground very fast. Also, you can stop the spamming after doing it for a few seconds and then hit the enemy with a normal attack to dizzy them.
loving lol. This never gets old.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?

God Hand Bible posted:

Special Combos

Want to know what tricks the pros use? Then look no further. Here are some tricks that will help you in a variety of situations. I also put in a few tricks that I personally use. Assume that any time a “+” is used that you should use a dodge for canceling, though it isn’t always necessary for every one of these combos.

Chain Yanker + Yes Man Kablaam + Yes Man Kablaam + Reaction
This is a godly combo to say the least. Watch your tension skyrocket with this. If you’re fast enough, you can also get in a couple normal hits before you do the reaction command.

High Side Kick Spamming
Get an enemy against a wall (or a corner if possible) and spam the move. The enemy will sometimes try to jump out of it, but keep your timing and the enemy can sometimes get back into the spamming. You can also use side-dodging to help control which direction in which he will try to escape from. This works against male enemies better because female enemies fall to the ground very fast. Also, you can stop the spamming after doing it for a few seconds and then hit the enemy with a normal attack to dizzy them.
:allears:
I'm sure these pros were really good at God Hand to develop such intricate techniques to curbstomp demons in gorilla suits.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
"Want to know the tricks the pros use?..... High Side Kick Spamming."
:frogout:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
You know it's bad when the "pros" make me look technical by comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

If a + means canceling then shouldent his High Side Kick section have like a million of them? The whole reason the move works is because of canceling it.

• Locked thread