Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Ya I should have clearly won Traditional even though I didn't submit an entry for this category. Like come on alps I was expecting some of that nepotism magic

yoshesque's bayo entries for those interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jj0W1uJJKo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiPnBzaxKvo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Update #43

Stage 6-4 & 6-5 Mad Midgtet 5 boss fight #2
KMS 6-5

Moveset used

Maps

Big Mongol

Bone

mkob fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 25, 2016

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself
Welcome back, Mike. :patriot: Think my favorite bit was Gene holding the katana properly, then bashing with it like any other melee weapon.

If you're worried about not being contrary enough for OBS, fret not; they recently stopped developing the version that actually works and everyone loves and started on "OBS Multiplatform," which is thus far worse in pretty much every way and much less intuitive. You can use either version and have plenty to complain about! :v: And all jokes aside you might want to consider it; the episode was pretty choppy in places.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
SKILL

SKILL

SKILL

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Wayne posted:

Welcome back, Mike. :patriot: Think my favorite bit was Gene holding the katana properly, then bashing with it like any other melee weapon.

If you're worried about not being contrary enough for OBS, fret not; they recently stopped developing the version that actually works and everyone loves and started on "OBS Multiplatform," which is thus far worse in pretty much every way and much less intuitive. You can use either version and have plenty to complain about! :v: And all jokes aside you might want to consider it; the episode was pretty choppy in places.

Hah its not like OBS was highly intuitive in the first place.
In truth though it takes a bit of finagling and remembering tjings but once you have it set up tye way you like it you can just set your user preset at the start of a recording session and itll work perfectly 95% of the time.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
I'm really glad to see this is still around :allears:

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Also if you wanted to stay with a semi-loss-less recording program similar to Fraps but maybe a little less system intensive, you could give Dxtory a look. Hell, it even supports the Fraps codec without the same overhead of Fraps.

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Update #44

Stage 6-6 Whip It! & 6-7 Stop Before You Hurt Yourself

Moveset used

Maps

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
I always thought he looked more like this guy

But to be honest, if he's a reference to something, I'm not sure what.

Concordat fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 24, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
It may just be to the fact that his attack pattern is entirely at odds with the game. I think he also bears a resemblance to a character in an earlier game by these folks- the cowboy one, maybe?

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Update #45

Stage 6-8 Elvis' Wish & 6-9 Shannon Revealed
KMS 6-8 & 6-9

Movesets used

Maps

Featuring Mystery guest

Roulette Moves

mkob fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 11, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Just wanted to stop in and say thanks for the videos. I'm enjoying watching them. Though it does kind of feel like the game's running out of ways to escalate? Like, it's not clear how levels are getting harder. Maybe that's just because you never get hit. :shrug:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
The game's scaling difficulty does a good job of keeping the challenge when you are just getting the hang of it. When somebody gets to be as good as Mike, it's just toying with the AI.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I actually like Shannon's theme...

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It's crazy how Shaolin Blast's launch animation lines up perfectly with the spinning animation from dropping a weapon when you use it. That has to be intentional.

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Just wanted to stop in and say thanks for the videos. I'm enjoying watching them. Though it does kind of feel like the game's running out of ways to escalate? Like, it's not clear how levels are getting harder. Maybe that's just because you never get hit. :shrug:

Yeah I think the difficulty in god hand really comes from 1) the amount of damage you receive the further you get into the game (enemies get more HP and deal more damage from stage to stage) and 2) the amount of enemies you have to fight at the same time; see beginning of this update to understand 1), where an amazon lady grabs me which leaves Gene with 1 HP left (about that, I might have talked about it before but, there's only a couple real dickish one-hit kill moves throughout the whole game, e.g. Demon Elvis will swallow Gene if you miss the stick waggling prompt, etc., but generally you are left with a tiny sliver of health after a grab attack and what have you, so the game is fair in this regard, whenever it wants to anyway), granted you're supposed to upgrade your health after each stages but I haven't done that, so you can see how nuts the damage received is with a non-upgraded HP bar (it actually looks even scarier on a fully upgraded HP bar as damage dealt by enemies is based on a set damage number which is a certain % of your total HP, like on level 3 an amazon lady will deal 10% of damage while it's around 20 or 30% on DIE -- side note reminder, you receive twice as much damage by enraged enemies, so say bye to half your HP after getting hit once), also I'm on DIE difficulty level so that explains why I take so much damage, based on my non-upgraded HP bar I can only sustain 3 or 4 hits before getting a game over.

Anyway, about 2) and the difficulty curve, this stage started throwing more different type of enemies at the same time (generally it's 1 whip enemy + 1 or 2 mooks + 1 elite, etc.), you also rarely get to fight 1 on 1 battles, instead it's 2v1 most of the time, then more enemies might show up if you ignore them and started wandering aimlessly in a level, and that's when things will get messy.

Sindai posted:

It's crazy how Shaolin Blast's launch animation lines up perfectly with the spinning animation from dropping a weapon when you use it. That has to be intentional.

Yeah that's one of the things I like doing the most, popping shaolin blast while holding a sword, and it actually works the same way if you're holding a wooden plank but it's not as cool.

mkob fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Feb 27, 2016

Inverse square
Jan 21, 2008
Ah but you see I was an 06 lurker
Maybe someone has already talked about this but I'm just thinking about God Hand's field of view. Is it my imagination or is it very narrow? i.e. things in the distance are not as small as they should be. If so, that is a lovely and uncompromising piece of design. People *want* a natural or exaggerated FOV so that they can look at scenery. But in God Hand you *need* to be able to think of your surroundings as quite close to you. The level design is simple and the rooms are small, so you don't need a big FOV for exploration or anything like that...

Another way I think I can feel it is that your FOV deffo changes when you get the roulette out.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
Based on the radar on the HUD I'd say the FOV is around 90 degrees, but that could easily be wrong.

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

The field of view does appear to be rather flat in GODHAND, yet if you compare it with Resident Evil 4's it is roughly the same, if not slightly narrower/claustrophobic in RE4 -- unless you have Ashley following you in which case the camera is a tad far away from Leon similarly to certain areas in GODHAND (e.g. during the pyramid level, the psycho midget fight, etc.)

mkob fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 28, 2016

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Though it does kind of feel like the game's running out of ways to escalate? Like, it's not clear how levels are getting harder. Maybe that's just because you never get hit. :shrug:

I've always thought of God Hand like a modernized "beat 'em up" (along the lines of Final Fights and Double Dragons); once you get down the mechanics, even the endgame doesn't feel too challenging. To this day, God Hand is still one of the hardest games I've played, but its difficulty remains consistent from start to finish, with the exception of one or two minor variations (enemies becoming punching bags, bosses' one-hit kills, etc).

Also before I forget, I love seeing Tiger Joe get absolutely clobbered.

Inverse square
Jan 21, 2008

Digital Jello posted:

I've always thought of God Hand like a modernized "beat 'em up" (along the lines of Final Fights and Double Dragons); once you get down the mechanics, even the endgame doesn't feel too challenging. To this day, God Hand is still one of the hardest games I've played, but its difficulty remains consistent from start to finish, with the exception of one or two minor variations (enemies becoming punching bags, bosses' one-hit kills, etc).
I'm on board with this. On a FIRST playthrough there are many "poo poo has now gotten very real" moments, mostly when they introduce new enemies or massively ramp up the numbers. But it does feel fairly consistent throughout (speaking as a person who has nearly finished hard)

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Update #46

7-1 The Tower Mirage & 7-2 The Flying Pyramid
KMS 7-1 & 7-2

Movesets used

Maps

Featuring Mystery guest

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I always like the cutscene in the beginning of Stage 7, not only because of the joke but because Gene is more or less using the same moves and doing the same kind of things you could probably do in gameplay. As fun these character action games are sometimes their cutscenes get a bit to ridiculous and it just makes me think "why isn't this part playable/why aren't i able to use a motorcycle as nunchucks in actual gameplay"?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I'm surprised you would include footage of yourself in an internet video, but I have to admit I was curious what you looked like and how you held the controller for the beatdown prompts.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm surprised you would include footage of yourself in an internet video, but I have to admit I was curious what you looked like and how you held the controller for the beatdown prompts.
You mean the Indonesian guy? It looks as if, given the comments, that he's someone else who happened to be sufficiently over the top.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Wooosh

I still wonder how much that IGN review hurt its sales. Christ what a load of bullshit.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
The IGN review is probably pretty accurate for most people who play games to be honest.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

NGDBSS posted:

You mean the Indonesian guy? It looks as if, given the comments, that he's someone else who happened to be sufficiently over the top.

:thejoke:

We already know what mkob looks like, a picture of him cosplaying is at the very top of the thread.

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Me on the left with the orange wig

Inverse square
Jan 21, 2008
Maybe these have already been posted, but if not, I used to write for a site called actionbutton, where God Hand was the omega and super mario bros. was the alpha:

http://www.actionbutton.net/?p=541 - reviewed by ario barzan. Probably the most serious one!
http://www.actionbutton.net/?p=999 - reviewed by me. Warning: long
http://www.actionbutton.net/?p=645 - reviewed by Tim Rogers. Actually, very short!
http://www.actionbutton.net/?p=120 - reviewed by Christian McCrea

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

I like how these guys are talking poo poo about the gaming industry, go on random uneducated game design tangents heavily using analogies by comparing god hand's mechanics to bioshock and gears of war's, instead of getting straight to the point by describing the gameplay and leaving their hardcore gamer hipster ego out of it.

me sidestep-cancelling the flash of a camera

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Did you High Side Kick cancel that guy from behind? Doesn't count unless you did.

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

I wasn't there so I wouldn't know how the fight went, but here's this gene guy backflipping through deadpool's attacks

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Ezio has really let himself go

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

That's actually a lovely Elvis cosplay.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dude couldn't have at least gotten some yellow shorts to go with the shirt?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Dude couldn't have at least gotten some yellow shorts to go with the shirt?

When the cosplayer is wearing a silk screen shirt, I don't know why you would expect follow through.

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

them thighs unf ;-*

Inverse square
Jan 21, 2008

mkob posted:

I like how these guys are talking poo poo about the gaming industry, go on random uneducated game design tangents heavily using analogies by comparing god hand's mechanics to bioshock and gears of war's, instead of getting straight to the point by describing the gameplay and leaving their hardcore gamer hipster ego out of it.

A lot of us work in the games industry, though to be sure our hipster egos could have used some editing ._.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

The holier-than-thou and denigrating mentality from opinion pieces like this bother me. The reviews you linked are overselling the game and the authors are using lots of words that don't mean anything. I just checked the comment sections and I noticed a few reasonable people who didn't buy into this wankery style of writing and outright called the authors out on it.

Then on the other hand, you get the IGN review which is one of the most shallow, passive aggressive and puerile review I've ever read. I see a lot of back and white as in I hate/I love, but not enough neutral and grey opinions. Sure you can praise God Hand for its soundtrack, sound design, polished animations, the overall gameplay, the fact that this is a love letter to the arcade brawler genre, etc. but don't forget about its horrible graphics, shallow story and random referential humor (people might call it memes nowadays), uninspired level design and (demon) damage-sponge boss fights, the awkward tank controls and faulty lock-on, the lack of audio cues for long range attacks and off-screen enemies, the non sensical ramp up in difficulty during the later stages, etc. what I'm trying to say is no matter how much I might enjoy playing this video game I will never blindly defend it, as I can still see and acknowledge its many flaws.

• Locked thread