Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

mkob posted:

Also fun fact, the devs balanced/changed the property of 3 moves in the NA version:

Left Roundhouse can't be cancelled in the JP version and it makes no sense;
Expert Sobat acts as a Guard Breaker (JP) instead of a Launch (NA);
Chin Music is twice as slow in the JP version;

While those are all good changes, you have to wonder why those were the only ones made. I mean, as much as I loved creating situations for the flashy-but-not-good techniques (Dashing Sobat...), there's some obvious changes they could have made to make them actually useful.

Left Roundhouse was awesome and so strong for stage 1. Lots of times I made a beeline to get it. I remember lots of people suggesting against buying the sushi, though, since it's apparently not DPS efficient to have 6 moves in your square combo for god hand mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Update #10

Stage 2-1 - Demons Playing With Fire

KMS 2-1

Moveset used:

Moveset used in KMS video:

Face buttons:
High Kick
High Side Kick
Mule Kick
Chin Music
Spinning Backfist

Square slots:
Jab 2
Straight 2
Right Hook
Uppercut 1

Map

Caption

Waning crescent moon (on the left) when a demon appears during stage 2:

New enemies

Demon please stop

mkob fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Oct 30, 2015

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Are you purposefully trying to do a no hit run or it is just by extension of knowing the game so well that you've managed to avoid it thus far? Also it's good to see the stomp move get some (limited) use. Had no idea of the different animations thing!

DoublePLayer
May 6, 2008

by Shine
I never knew you could deflect the fireballs and suddenly you throw in footage of a demon deflecting one, what the hell.

Also, I'm glad you have the same opinion as I do on whip ladies and blade demons, despite me being a much worse player (always 1v1, never beat hard [thanks to a particular goddamn trio]) although I don't think I would survive 2 spike demons without using God Hand/Roulette move.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I love the stomp. It's one of those things that hook you into the game even though about half way through a normal run its drat near impossible to land, enemies will roll out if it. Seeing Gene just kick and grind his heel into a thug lifts my spirits.

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Are you purposefully trying to do a no hit run or it is just by extension of knowing the game so well that you've managed to avoid it thus far? Also it's good to see the stomp move get some (limited) use. Had no idea of the different animations thing!

Yeah I guess this is a no damage run, I like my gameplay footage to be clean. It looks better that way I think.

DoublePLayer posted:

I never knew you could deflect the fireballs and suddenly you throw in footage of a demon deflecting one, what the hell.

You can run dash into the fireball or even throw enemies into it and it'll bounce back as well. The fireballs hitbox is pretty weird though.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Have I said that I REALLY love your editing before? Because I really love your editing, it's some good stuff.

Also the mohawk-throwers are the most awesome enemy so far.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Oh, there are those subtitles in the KMS run. Having Gene suddenly break his silent supreme beatdown to bitch about how awful blade demons are got a surprised laugh out of me.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Your skill always impresses, any chance of showing off some of the other roulette wheel stuff?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Is it ever actually worth using Grovel?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

SSNeoman posted:

If you're the kind of baby that can't handle Level 3/Die then yeah it is :smug:. Especially considering how fast/damaging the enemies are by that point it can be hard for the average player to deal with.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

SSNeoman posted:

Honestly it's probably the optimal use for roulette. Your first time through the game whenever you get in a groove on level 1 or 2 suddenly you'll hit level 3 and get your rear end kicked instantly.

That said you should never use it because all other roulette moves are cooler.

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Victis posted:

Your skill always impresses, any chance of showing off some of the other roulette wheel stuff?

Of course, although not right now, I don't want to abuse roulette moves/activating the god hand too much since enemies in stage 2 die pretty fast.

SSNeoman posted:

You really don't have to, unless you're on DIE level and really need a breather. Your level will decrease after getting hit a couple times anyway so might as well save a roulette orb and not waste it just for that. If you're low on life and panicking, it's better to let yourself killed and restart with full health honestly. Also the game is nice enough to always bring you back to life with at least one roulette orb available in case you're out.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Can you interact with the catapults besides reflecting the shots back?

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I think you might be able to inspect it or something, but not actually use it. It's been about a year since I've last played.

Thanks for taking your time to go through the game and explaining some of the finer points behind the mechanics. I wasn't too bad at this myself, but there were a couple of things I never really got a grip on. I was also pretty boring in my play-style; way too safe during multi-man fights, anyway.

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

^^^^^^ You're welcome, I'm trying my best

Choco1980 posted:

Can you interact with the catapults besides reflecting the shots back?

Sadly no. It's as if the developers didn't think ahead that much and just went on with it ("hey why not add a ballista here" "heh, why not, I'll ask the intern"), the level of interactivity is very weak in god hand and most gimmicks you see are over before you get bored or too annoyed. At least that's how I see it although personality I wish there were more of them to play around with.

Nagna Zul
Aug 9, 2008
Loving this LP, excellent work. Keep it up.

On your note about the enemies canceling their lunge when you open up the roulette, I would bet good money that this was intentional. Having your supermove be interrupted by an enemy attack would be frustrating as hell, so in all likelihood a designer asked for it to work that way.

Source: I was an AI programmer in the games industry for 4+ years. That kind of request happens all the time.

DoublePLayer
May 6, 2008

by Shine
Except enemies can actually knock you out of Choose The Move mode, but not the Roulette Move itself. It's very rare for that to happen due to the slow motion, which is powerful enough to make lunges/headbutts a non-threat for those kind of moments if they weren't bugged.

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Nagna Zul posted:

Loving this LP, excellent work. Keep it up.

On your note about the enemies canceling their lunge when you open up the roulette, I would bet good money that this was intentional. Having your supermove be interrupted by an enemy attack would be frustrating as hell, so in all likelihood a designer asked for it to work that way.

Source: I was an AI programmer in the games industry for 4+ years. That kind of request happens all the time.

Hey thanks. So I double checked just in case and I made a mistake, the roulette wheel slow motion only affects the demons lunge attacks (green and spike demons') but it doesn't stop the fatties e. honda headbutt and the other lunges from the different fatty types. It simply looks like an oversight/exploit and not an actual feature by the designers.

mkob fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 3, 2015

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

mkob posted:

Face buttons:
High Kick
High Side Kick
Mule Kick
Chin Music
Spinning Backfist

Square slots:
Jab 2
Straight 2
Right Hook
Uppercut 1
I always felt like stage 2 doesn't have a lot going for it in terms of new techniques. The few it does offer are pretty cool, though. High Kick is a nice replacement for High Side Kick, and the fact that it's slightly slower often times lets you get counter hits without really having to time anything. Looking forward to seeing what you do with Fist of Justice, that was always one of my favorite techniques, just for how versatile it is. I liked putting it in the square combo sometimes.

dancingbears posted:

Oh, there are those subtitles in the KMS run. Having Gene suddenly break his silent supreme beatdown to bitch about how awful blade demons are got a surprised laugh out of me.

It's best when they commit suicide by charging off the stage, rewards be damned (almost all the techniques you can get off demons can already be bought in the shop anyway). They just have too much HP, like they were balanced for god hand/roulette use without considering KMS.

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

gigglefeimer posted:

I always felt like stage 2 doesn't have a lot going for it in terms of new techniques.

Yeah same, the only interesting technique available in stage 2 is Mule Kick since it's the first juggle you get, except many people will outright dismiss it since it's not cancellable, has an awful startup animation and lets you open to attacks for a very long time. That's something I really don't like about god hand, how uninteresting your techniques are up until you reach stage 4/5 which is more than halfway through the game. This really makes your playstyle and skill floor stale as you have barely any interesting techniques to play around with.

Having said that, I think I'm biased and forgot about how balancing works in a game like god hand, especially how players must feel during their first playthrough, so maybe not having a lot to play around with is probably for the best if someone is still unfamiliar with the controls or the game, although I would disagree but the whole slow character progression is one of my biggest pet peeves. When it comes to games like DMC and Bayo, I find the starter moveset very boring and samey, I don't like having to wait until the endgame to finally be able to experiment and juggle with more weapons and more moves and have fun, I don't like grinding for money/red orbs either (I had my share of doing chapter 2 in bayo 1 over and over just to get more rings and it was awful, just give me sai-fon and let me play as jeanne already, goddamnit kamiya.)

Update #11

It's that time again :eng101:

Ground Dodging

tl;dr time a Running Slide, Sweep, Reverse Sweep and Drunken Sweep to dodge (most) projectiles

Ground Dodging (aka "limbo dance" dodging as I like to call it), is the ability to avoid enemy offensives by using unorthodox ways to low attack. There are certain techniques in the game that allow Gene's hitbox to move so low, they open up-dodging prospects that were impossible before otherwise.

2 hours in mspaint

The ideal position for a Ground Dodge puts Gene beneath his standing-waist height; of course, this entails that whatever weaving (up on the right stick) can avoid, Ground Dodging is able to as well. The main benefit of it all comes from removing half the space the model takes standing up. This allows you to formulate new strategies to work beyond the scope of actual dodges. As a result, some patterns become easier to counteract without having to sacrifice position.

The moves which reliably use this property are:
-Running Slide (locked move, while running press X)
-Sweep (locked move, up on right stick+triangle)
-Reverse Sweep
-Drunken Sweep

The middle of the animation for Barrel Roll Kick also puts you in this stage, however this doesn't apply to the startup and recovery animation. No other move despite evading high attacks seems to share this specific characteristic. The problem with trying to perform this is that none of these moves can be dodge cancelled, so you need to know precisely where and when using this approach will help. It may require a bit of testing.

To close up, remember this doesn't make you invincible (against grab attacks for example) so keep position and timing for different moves in mind.

mkob fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jun 4, 2015

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
I am still in awe how you clowned that first fairy challenge. And the kick counter to the fatty dive attack is glorious.

Next time i go visit my folks imma grab the PS2 that's collecting dust there and rediscover the God Hand after all these years :allears:

George Rouncewell fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 4, 2015

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
So for the sake of reference, I thought I was decent at this game and booted it up for the first time in about two-three years.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

dscruffy1 posted:

So for the sake of reference, I thought I was decent at this game and booted it up for the first time in about two-three years.

It's...a giant transparent PNG? :confused:

EDIT: works now; weird. Guess my browser got confused.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jun 6, 2015

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It's...a giant transparent PNG? :confused:

I can see it just fine. It's a Stage Clear screen.

Clear time 1:42:17
Continues 16
2 lvl 1
17 lvl 2
52 lvl 3
108 lvl DIE
Stage Total 45550

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
mkob with 0 continues got 50K for that, but he also knocked out 100 enemies at lvl DIE. Altogether he got what would be 80K on a new game, 110K on NG+.

I think the two I had at level 1 were just the guys you beat up at the very start.

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Hey congrats that's really good, looks like you stayed on level DIE for a long time even though you said you were rusty.

Completely unrelated, here's the cover of a (crappy) Sega Master System game called My Hero.
"The game has only 3 levels but they are repeated over and over until you reach level 20 where you get the same screen as the other levels and no ending"

I could swear I've seen a very similar cover elsewhere before but I don't remember, it's weird. There was the same punk getting punched in the face, anyone knows what I'm talking about?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
My skills aren't so rusty as they could be, fighting demons is a struggle again. Kick Me Sign and no continues are pretty much way beyond me though.

Watching the videos in the thread has been pretty enlightening, charged uppercut was something I never worked into my combo styling beforehand so it's a learning experience. Figuring out how to reliably counter-hit in between that 4th and 5th hit is a lot harder.

Crowd controlling is still drat near impossible but it's one of those things I'd have to practice before I get it. The 4-5 hit counter I could do in practice arena but it's a much different story trying to do that in a group.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

dscruffy1 posted:

Crowd controlling is still drat near impossible but it's one of those things I'd have to practice before I get it. The 4-5 hit counter I could do in practice arena but it's a much different story trying to do that in a group.

Crowd control is just really hard to do in this game. Level DIE enemies are really aggressive, they dodge, and they don't stay down for long. You can only target one enemy at a time and there aren't many AOE attacks, so usually crowd control consists of constantly launching enemies away as they come to you. There's a few cheesy techniques that make it a cinch, but then there are a lot of slower and/or uncancelable techniques that make it a lot harder than it should be. Getting good at crowd control really comes down to consistently getting counter hits, which is why High Side Kick and Charged Punch are so dominant, because they're fast, cancelable, and getting counter hits brings out their full effects.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

dscruffy1 posted:

I think it's a decent score, particularly since a long time has passed since you played the game last - I think my first time playing the first level my continues count was easily three digits high.

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Update #12

Stage 2-2 - Human Fireworks = PARTY!

KMS 2-2

Moveset used:

Face buttons:
High Kick
Fist of Justice
Spinning Backfist
Expert Sobat
Mule Kick

Square slots:
Jab 2
Straight 2
Right Hook 1
Uppercut 1
Drunken Fist 1
Elbow Spin 1

Map

Caption

Roulette Moves

Fairy Challenge #3 rewards

Lv1 = 5000 G
Lv2 = 7500 G
Lv3 = 10,000 G
LvDie = 20,000 G

mkob fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jun 8, 2015

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Love this thread so much. :allears:

dancingbears fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 8, 2015

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

dancingbears posted:

Love this thread so much. :allears:

The fact that he does his little swaydance immediately after that happens is the icing on the cake.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!
I've honestly wondered if most of the innocents you rescue are more scared of the mooks or the God Hand.

Being on the receiving end of either would not be pleasant either way.

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012
May I never tire of you hitting fatties out of their charge. :allears:

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Okay, reverse kicking that fatty's headbutt was just plain showing off.

(Please continue to show off).

I also love whatever that 6-inch punch was at 0:56 that just sends dudes flying.

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

McKilligan posted:

I also love whatever that 6-inch punch was at 0:56 that just sends dudes flying.

Funny you mention that because there's a roulette move in the game called "One Inch Punch", the technique I used at 0:56 is called "Fist of Justice".

Since we"re on this subject I want to address something regarding moves with long startup animations.

Update #13

:eng101: The best way to use moves with long startup animations

Many moves in God Hand use long wind-up animations and you might be wondering how the hell are you even supposed to use them, especially on Hard difficulty where enemies are so fast to react and counter you. Well there's a trick to it. How about after a successful guard break?

Fist of Justice

Notice how after a guard break, the opponent stands still and open for a couple seconds. This gives you plenty of time to land any move, more importantly fully charged moves (e.g. fist of justice, charged punch, invincible fist, etc.)

The next hits you'll land on a guard break'd enemy will count as counter-hits, your attacks will do more damage and enemies will be instantly affected by the property of the moves used (using High Side Kick or Forearm Smash after a guard break will launch the enemy, a quick Charged Punch will instantly lift him/her high up at Air Launch Kick height, as if Charged Punch was fully charged, etc.)

I'm mentioning this because on DIE level difficulty, enemies aren't affected by instant-launch attacks like on level difficulty 1, 2 and 3. Knowing how counter-hits work and each moves property is crucial on Hard -- or you could turn your brain off and spam Drunken Twist instead, this works too if you need to beat the game but it's not as satisfying and makes you look like a scrub.

Note: remember to always cancel the guard break recovery animation (after the guard breaker connects) with a sidestep, backflip or up-dodge.

Charged Punch

Yes Man Kablaam

Forearm Smash

Barrel Roll Kick

Palm Smash

Haymaker 2

Invincible Fist

mkob fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 9, 2015

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
I sometimes when trying cancel the Guard Break with a dodge I do it too early and cancel the attack itself then get my poo poo kicked in.:downsowned: Not asking for advice on it, I'm just sharing my pain from being bad at timing with slower attacks.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Man, this LP is kicking all kinds of rear end! I always wanted to try playing through with a flashier set of moves than the cheap stuff. I like how flexible the combat is where you can play as safe or as bombastic as you want.

Back in college I wrote a manual on how to beat God Hand. Entry-level as all hell, and definitely lacking the detail your presentation has. However, I aced it, and the professor uses it as an example for future classes on how to make that project well. :buddy:

The thing I love the most about this game is the sound design. None of the sounds (besides maybe some enemy sounds) ever get stale, and they're satisfying to hear when you do well (BRAAAAAINS!), but crushing when you mess up (Gene's grunt when an enemy blocks and deflects his attack). Whoever thought of those were right on the money, unlike Mad World, where everything immediately got tired and frustrating and gently caress Mad World.

God Mode boosts the power of the Roulette Techs, right? If it does then by how much? 50% or somethin?

Is there a certain number of hits before an enemy breaks out of being stunned? Is the stun breakout and stun threshold the same amount of hits/not affected by the power and only by the amount of times they're hit?

I never used the Sushi. Are there any benefits to having longer combos or does it not matter in the long run if you have a good enough handle on the game?

Elvis is always the best part of this game. "100% pure God Hand" always gets me. It's funny hearing him now after his VA did Papa Nier.
Coņo on the Cliff by the Sea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Zeikier posted:

Back in college I wrote a manual on how to beat God Hand. Entry-level as all hell, and definitely lacking the detail your presentation has. However, I aced it, and the professor uses it as an example for future classes on how to make that project well. :buddy:

Thanks, glad you enjoy the videos. Now hold, you made a lecture about how to beat a video game? What did that entail? What class was that project for exactly?

Also yeah I completely agree with you, the sound design in god hand is great, landing attacks feels very satisfying, there's a real weight to the animations as well and they almost look motion captured. I get the same feeling in Bayonetta with the Wicked Weaves and the way she screams her attacks.

Zeikier posted:

God Mode boosts the power of the Roulette Techs, right?

Nope but using Roulette Moves with a Heat card active does (bottom left). Heat cards increase your overall damage by x1.5 for 15 seconds but the damage boost doesn't stack with the God Hand unleashed and vice versa.

Zeikier posted:

Is there a certain number of hits before an enemy breaks out of being stunned?

The stun status lasts for 5 seconds, the duration is the same with every enemies in the game. You can land anything you want during this time.

Zeikier posted:

Is the stun breakout and stun threshold the same amount of hits/not affected by the power and only by the amount of times they're hit?

Enemies get stunned after a set X number of hits. The damage/power of a move doesn't matter.

I don't know the exact number though, it might even vary between enemy types, so I did some testing with the training dummy at the arena and here's the results:

9 punches > guard break > 4 punches (they count as counter hits) = training dummy is stunned

It took 9 "neutral" punches + 4 "counter hit" punches to stun the dummy.

Note: Guard Breaker moves don't build up stun.

I used the default square moveset (jab 1, straight 1, left hook 1, uppercut 1), then decided to do more testing and discovered that it takes 20 "neutral" punches (neutral as in no counter-hits) to stun the dummy with both Jab and Left Hook, but 23 neutral punches with both Straight and Uppercut, which means the stun damage dealt isn't the same depending on the techniques you're using. The Japanese guide book doesn't cover the stun mechanic in details sadly, and I really don't feel like figuring out how much stun damage every single moves in the game deal myself, screw that.

So anyway, I guess a "neutral" hit deals something like 1 stun damage and a counter-hit deals ~4. I'd say it's really not that important to dig deeper into this, it's pure mathematics so unless you're Rain Man and can count and remember all the stun damage of every moves in the game and how many times you hit an enemy with them, then forget about it. As a rule of thumb, just know that an enemy generally gets stunned the second time after you guard break him/her.

Zeikier posted:

Are there any benefits to having longer combos or does it not matter in the long run if you have a good enough handle on the game?

Basically, you will almost never, ever, manage to land a full 6 square move-slots because enemies tend to (randomly) block after a couple of hits only -- I'm talking level DIE difficulty/Hard difficulty. That's why doing square > square > guard break > square > square > guard break (commonly described as "2 punch guard break") works so well since you're not gambling and waiting after a block anymore but sort of exploiting the blocking mechanic instead by cheesing it.

Having two fast punches (jab + straight) in your first two square slots is encouraged, but you can also use one multi-hit in the first slot instead, which is what I've been doing in the LP so far. With that in mind, you can use whichever moves you want in the other 4 or 5 other square move-slots; or you could put a multi-hits attack on a face button and use it to force enemies to block, break their guard and then mash square to deal damage. If I remember correctly, in the KMS 2-1 video, I used Chin Music (a fast 2 punch move) to do just that.

You can land all 6 square move-slots only when you have the God Hand active, when an enemy is stunned or if you're playing on Easy/Normal.

Jamieson Price is pretty great.

mkob fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jun 9, 2015

• Locked thread