Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I've only learned one thing from this lp so far tbh and it's that El Shaddai apparently has some goddamn amazin music

Never played that game so that was news to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X_countryguy
Dec 31, 2007

Whatscha holdup, Tron? If you don't hurry up there's not gonna be any pizza left!
I guess that demon was too good for this sinful Earth and had to go back to his people using the express lane.

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012
I'd like to request that you use the Drunken Combo against Elvis.

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Glad you told me this now because I haven't started recording the fight yet, but sure I'll use a drunken moveset.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
Does the backflip dodge actually have invulnerability frames or does Gene's hitbox just get extremely bizarre? I mean the effect is still avoiding just about everything but I've wondered.

Concordat fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jun 25, 2015

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Concordat posted:

Does the backflip dodge actually have invulnerability frames or does Gene's hitbox just get extremely bizarre? I mean the effect is still avoiding just about everything but I've wondered.
All three not-front dodges have a good deal of invincibility frames.

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Concordat posted:

Yep plenty of i-frames when backflipping. Gifs related, you're invincible during the whole animation up until gene's feet are about to hit the floor. As for sidestepping I'd say you're invincible during the first half of the animation, maybe less. Up-dodging is 100% invincible.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

No start-up?
Or am i a bit mad for expexting i frame startup in a character action game.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Start up for iframes would be bullshit in a game that demands sharp reflexes.

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

No start-up?
Or am i a bit mad for expexting i frame startup in a character action game.

No startup animation to speak of with the dodges, press the right stick and you have i-frames up the wazoo. Every attacks in the game have a distinct windup/startup, active hitbox and then recovery animation though (not just for you but for enemies as well, that's how you land counter-hits). I've never really paid attention to the frame data in this game to be honest, I think it really doesn't matter, like I could tell you the startup animation of a Left Jab is 1 frame faster than a Straight, same regarding Guard Breaker and Spinning Backfist, I could also tell you most moves share the exact same active hitbox, but who really cares, that kind of stuff won't help you beat godhand.

The speed of your attacks is what's most important, the actual frames number not so much, and the way I see it is with 3 tiers of speed: slow (barrel roll kick, haymaker, forearm smash), moderate (80% of the moves in the game) and fast (mostly punches, like your default square-slot for example). That's it really, no need to look deeper into it. Also throwing that out there since it's worth mentioning, God Hand runs at 30 FPS, I think.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Godhand just isn't really deep enough to really NEED the frame data to be available. Like sure it's nice to know that X punch has invincibility frames for X seconds longer than this. But when you punch a guy he's gonna explode and then it won't matter how active the frames are or how much invincibility it gives.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

I know it probably has its apologists but I hate God Hand's camera so much.

I also hate that I am bad at the game, and deflecting my badness onto it. gently caress level seven onwards.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
What's wrong with the camera? Fixed over the shoulder is pretty necessary for a game with tank controls.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

It's a little bit too low and close to Gene for my liking. It feels like somewhere there's a 'zoom in behind Gene' slider I left turned up too high or something. Even in, say, RE4 it felt like you could see things a little better. It's a minor gripe but it's one extra thing to wrestle with in the tougher parts.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

mkob posted:

Yep plenty of i-frames when backflipping. Gifs related, you're invincible during the whole animation up until gene's feet are about to hit the floor. As for sidestepping I'd say you're invincible during the first half of the animation, maybe less. Up-dodging is 100% invincible.
I was always under the impression that the duck and sidestep dodges just modified Gene's hitbox, and never made him outright invincible like the backflip does.

Also interesting that Mr Gold and Silver kick up bricks from the dirt floor.

Hbomberguy posted:

It's a little bit too low and close to Gene for my liking. It feels like somewhere there's a 'zoom in behind Gene' slider I left turned up too high or something. Even in, say, RE4 it felt like you could see things a little better. It's a minor gripe but it's one extra thing to wrestle with in the tougher parts.

Almost every enemy in the game is taller than Gene, so it isn't that big of a problem

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Concordat posted:

I was always under the impression that the duck and sidestep dodges just modified Gene's hitbox, and never made him outright invincible like the backflip does.

Maybe they do, there are some moves that let you dodge projectiles (like Reverse Sweep, I've addressed this in a previous update) so it makes sense, although the only way to be sure would be to ask a developer who worked on the game. I guess gene's upper hitbox disappears when you up-dodge?

Speaking of invincibility frames :eng101:

Update #21

Invincibility-Frame Extension

tl;dr
Charging an attack after any roulette move, hard knockdown or god hand deactivation makes you invincible for a short period of time.

For those who played the game before, ever noticed how you get i-frames once you run out of God Hand meter, use a roulette move or after getting back up from a hard knockdown? I see it as the developers being nice enough to give you a sort of grace period; getting hit or stunlocked right as you get back up on your feet wouldn't be what you call good design.

Gif related, notice how the mook on the left with the hammer completely whiffs his attack even though I'm standing still, then a split second later I get hit. This should give you an idea about how long this "grace period" normally lasts.

Quick reminder: Invincibility frames (i-frames) are "the period of time (measured in frames) during which a character cannot be damaged."

So in God Hand, this Invincibility-Frame Extension (IFE) trick is the ability to extend your i-frames with the use of a charge attack. This can be performed with Axe Kick, Charged Punch, Fist of Justice, and Fist of God.

:siren: Invincibility-frame extension with Charge moves (video) :siren:

There are 3 periods in the game where you can make use of IFE:

1) After God Hand deactivation (your god hand meter runs out);

2) After using a roulette move;

3) After a hard knockdown (where you get knocked out on the floor, Gene will get back up automatically. Attention however if you button mash as you hit the floor, Gene will do a quick backflip-rise and the i-frame extension won't be in effect then);

To understand this on a surface level, just use any of the listed charge moves above IMMEDIATELY after any of those aforementioned situations. What this does is basically "hold" whatever i-frames you have that are running out. However, I do say you need to do this immediately for a reason: It doesn't last forever. If you were to be a split second too late in attempting i-frame extension, or if you move forward, or turn around, or taunt, or do anything else but use a Charge move, you'd "drop" the last of your i-frames, making you vulnerable again. If done right however, you should be completely invulnerable for the whole period from the startup of your charge to the hit you deliver. You are invulnerable up until you release the attack, however depending on the timing, this also means you can trade hits with opponents (you get hit and they get hit as well.)

I-frames in this game seem to be inherently tied to the function of the TP Bar (god hand meter). The reasoning I have behind this basis is that when you have the god hand active and you use a charge attack, your TP bar will come to a stop up until you release it. Therefore, your i-frames seem to drain just as slowly as your TP Bar would if you were holding a charge under the God Hand's effect. Weird stuff.

Another fun thing about I-frame Extension: This concept of the charge hold seems for some reason to be inherently tied in with prompts as well. Some Japanese player found this exploitable abuse while fighting one of the 3 stooges, Bruce (Snake-y dude with the boomerang blade). After a Cobra Twist prompt you can hold a charge move, and he'll do his little recovery animation very slowly and unlike normal i-frame extension you can chain this with a dodge (can be seen in my stage 2-5 video). The only other boss I found that you can do this with is with Demon Shannon after her own pummel prompt which I'll showcase later.

Now on a related side note, every time you start a level, after a loading screen, Gene's hitbox isn't "physically" present in the game yet; this is a loading issue, see the out-of-bounds glitch in stage 1-4 for reference.

You might have noticed this at the beginning of my stage 2-5 video, Felix charged right through me and I didn't get hit.

This loading bug ties in with the i-frame extension trick. That's how I managed to land a charged punch counter-hit with ease at the beginning of the fight proper.

Another example, at the beginning of stage 1-1, you can go up in front of one of the two mooks and you'll get i-frames extension upon using Charged Punch.

The more you know

mkob fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jun 27, 2015

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Wow, it's like beating a dead horse, only the horse is still alive, and it's a demon, and it's fun. I really dig this update. Being able to see underlying mechanics being screwed with on purpose is often fun.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
So that's how you were pulling off those charged uppercuts. Nice.

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Update #22

Stage 2-7 The Return Of Fat Elvis

KMS 2-6 & 2-7

Moveset used:

Moveset used in KMS video:
Square moveset:
Jab
Straight
Short uppercut
????

Face buttons:
High Kick
Charged Punch
Mule Kick
Chin Music
Spinning Backfist
High Side Kick
Expert Sobat

Map + Elvis' character sheet

Home Run God

Rodin from Bayonetta 1 uses Home Run God too, which according to Hideki Kamiya is apparently a reference to Sadaharu Oh, some Japanese baseball legend known for his homeruns. Check this Bayo 1 interview with Kamiya from Yoshesque's Bayo 1 LP for more info. He talks about God Hand at some point.

About Elvis' fight, there's something really weird about it, Elvis' portrait (upper left) and ingame model blink every time you hit him. His skin will (randomly?) switch color to blue after a while and I've no idea what it means. I've asked a friend to translate Elvis' character sheet from the JP guidebook and see if there's more info on that.

Also am I the only one seeing this?

mkob fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jun 30, 2015

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I posted my number of continues after the first stage, might as well do it for the second stage too. I knocked off some of the rust this time around and got some money for continues.

With regards to Elvis turning blue, he tends to stay that way after he reaches half health. I just assumed it was more of the demon in him coming out in response to the beatdown.

dscruffy1 fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 30, 2015

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yup the whole demon theory is a pretty good guess. the dots on his forehead increase in number and start to look like eyes.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I liked the Bayo song you spliced in there. Both good games with fun soundtracks.

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012
That hit after the Home Run Bat was wholly unnecessary.

Never stop.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Did you just bounce his fat rear end off the goddamn moon?!

Also, was that homerun sound effect when you punted the knife dude through the fire ring in the game, or added in post? Because holy gently caress that's an obscure achievement if they actually programmed it in.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Your playthrough and choice of editing tricks remain a joy to watch :allears:

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014
Looking forward to MGS Revengence soundtrack in the future.

Your videos are like watching a Jedi LP Godhand.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

I think what's the most amusing about this is how they actually had a speck of rubble that Gene flicked out of his hand. They just as easily could have not had a speck.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:
Minor thing but could you put the boss analysis after the fight instead of before?

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Only way you could make the LP better is if the commentary was in the style of Bob Ross; chill, collected, "there are no mistakes, only happy accidents."

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!

A Curvy Goonette posted:

Minor thing but could you put the boss analysis after the fight instead of before?

I like this idea too.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I prefer it the way it is now, but I don't have a particularly strong feeling about it.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I'm kinda partial to how it is now tbh.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Could you do a run down on the moves? It would be a nice supplement to the move list you include with each video.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I like how I can rewatch these and see a new insane thing you casually set up and did every video.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
I think that the skin stuff for Elvis is supposed to be a reference to Kiba Daioh and his Kazan Kogai Koho technique. I suppose we'd really know if there was a nice big I-beam around.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

What did the second kinfe-throwing guy ever DO to you?!

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
A few questions:
1) I'm sure you've taken that into consideration, but did you try using other charge moves aside from charged uppercut after getting out of Godhand mode? It seems like it has a ducking animation, so maybe that's a part of the invincibility frames?
2) How the hell did you know that Elvis will be flying right at you a few times in succession and positioned yourself while juggling that guy?
3) You sometimes miss a juggled enemy, most often using a sweep kick after ducking (which is an auto move, I know) - is there a reason for that, or is that just for fun (which is reason enough, I know)?

Aside from all that, this LP, to use a cliche, is inhuman!

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

A Curvy Goonette posted:

I think knowing all of the bosses' attacks and all the various ways they can trip you up makes beating them without taking a scratch all the more impressive. It gives you the context needed to appreciate it. Switching them around would be like putting the punchline of a joke before the setup.

But I also think it'd be nice if there were a clearer distinction between "showing off this enemy's attacks" sections and "actual canon gameplay" sections. Maybe just a text overlay in the corner that says "Demo" for the former, and another one that says "Gameplay" for a few seconds whenever it cuts back? Like the "Heavy Rain" and "Origami Killer" cuts in that old Heavy Rain LP.

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

WarpedLichen posted:

Could you do a run down on the moves? It would be a nice supplement to the move list you include with each video.

Sure, I'll write something for the next update. For now, here's the :siren: new moves used from Stage 2-3 to 2-7 :siren: (video is 1 min long)

McKilligan posted:

Also, was that homerun sound effect when you punted the knife dude through the fire ring in the game, or added in post? Because holy gently caress that's an obscure achievement if they actually programmed it in.

Yeah I added it in post. I wish you could do a running headbutt attack to jump through the fire ring like a dolphin, but sadly you can't.

A Curvy Goonette posted:

I'm not sure I understand why it would be a good thing, I'd rather have people understand what the pattern/gimmick of a boss is before I actually beat it, that way they'll know what's going during the fight proper. In any case, that's what timecodes are for, maybe you could skip the analysis then come back to it at the end of the video?

The Wu-Tang Secret posted:

But I also think it'd be nice if there were a clearer distinction between "showing off this enemy's attacks" sections and "actual canon gameplay" sections

I think it works well in a story-focused game like Heavy Rain where it's about showing off failed QTEs or different dialogue options, but doing that in god hand, MGR, devil may cry, etc. would totally break the flow of a fight. I'm doing the boss analysis + boss fight in two separate sections in case there are people who are only interested in watching the actual fight. I disagree to move the boss analysis section since it doesn't make sense to me but If you have more suggestion or criticism then go ahead.

Szurumbur posted:

A few questions:
1) I'm sure you've taken that into consideration, but did you try using other charge moves aside from charged uppercut after getting out of Godhand mode? It seems like it has a ducking animation, so maybe that's a part of the invincibility frames?
2) How the hell did you know that Elvis will be flying right at you a few times in succession and positioned yourself while juggling that guy?
3) You sometimes miss a juggled enemy, most often using a sweep kick after ducking (which is an auto move, I know) - is there a reason for that, or is that just for fun (which is reason enough, I know)?

1) Nah ducking doesn't have anything to do with it, the i-frame extension glitch is tied to charging and I'm afraid the more I try to explain it the less I understand how that werks. Doesn't matter which charge move you use, the effect is the same (except with Invincible Fist where the first half of the animation is Gene leaning back and then charging, so you don't get the i-frame extension effect.)

2) That's how his psycho crusher attack works on Hard difficulty, I've explained it back in stage 1-6. I knew he was going for the attack because I was far away from him, and he also does this little backstep + audio cue to telegraph it. If you're asking "how did I do it" then it's a matter of juggling one blade dude in the center of the arena and waiting until Elvis' AI decides to cooperate. If he doesn't do the psycho crusher then I reset the fight again and again until I get what I want.

3) You talking about the very beginning of the Elvis round 2 fight after the chain yanker? If so then yeah that was for fun, I thought it would look cool. Reverse Sweep comes out when you press UP on the right stick and then Triangle, but this also means you can't cancel that one move you put in the triangle slot as easily as other moves, you have to sidestep or backflip cancel it instead, or else you get a reverse sweep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
That last hit after the homerun god should have been a Yes Man Kablam.

In fact you should finish every single boss with a YMK or Granny Smacker, like you poke of god every single demon.

• Locked thread