Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mkob
Feb 23, 2013

:siren: Latest update: finale (the end) :siren:

God Hand (ゴッドハンド, Goddo Hando) is a 3D Beat 'Em Up video game developed by the defunct Clover Studio and was released on the PlayStation 2™ system (PS2) back in late 2006. It received mediocre to average reviews by the video gaming press but grew as a cult classic over the following years due to its wacky story and over-the-top gameplay.

The game was directed by Shinji Mikami (Resident Evil 4, P.N.03, The Evil Within) produced by Atsushi Inaba (Devil May Cry, Viewtiful Joe, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance) and the soundtrack was composed by Masafumi Takada (killer7, No More Heroes, Danganronpa).

There's already a God Hand let's play by Kung-Fu Jesus, why are you doing this?

The gameplay is outdated since the God Hand ~meta~ has evolved since 2008. I got my hands on the official Japanese God Hand guidebook so I'll throw some pictures of it here and there, as well as explain all the ground work and advanced mechanics there is to know about God Hand (e.g. prompt cancel, ground dodging, invincibility-frame extension, etc.) as well as debunk misconceptions people have regarding the game (like how IGN is to blame for the poor reception of the game and some other crap.)

what

This playthrough will be played on Hard difficulty, New Game +. Hard is locked on DIE level, the hardest level you can get to. Since this is NG+, all moves are already available for purchase at the shop as long as you have the money for it, however, you can't access the shop when starting the game, you need to beat the very first level first.

I'll be also juggling between this Hard NG+ playthrough and a KMS playthrough (KMS = Kick Me Sign, a paper Olivia, our female companion, puts on Gene's back as a joke during a cutscene. Activating the God Hand or using a Roulette Move will remove the sign. Beating the game with the KMS still on is a famous challenge amongst God Hand players, and there is actually a reward for doing so - upon completion of the game, you will receive one out of 4 Jukebox CDs). Same thing as NG+, the actual KMS run starts at stage 1-2 after the cutscene at the hotel. Disclaimer: the KMS playthough has already been recorded a while back and it might have commentary here and there.

Thread rules:

None, just don't High Side Kick wall-spam or I'll ball buster you, scrub

~Shameless self-advertising~

If you want to see God Hand and Devil May Cry's grandpa, then check out my let's play of Rising Zan: the Samurai Gunman, a wacky 3D Beat 'Em Up on PlaysTation 1 in which you play as Johnny, a cowboy weaboo wielding a katana and revolver.

lparchive
Youtube playlist

mkob fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Update #1 Stage 1-1
Update #2 Launching a dead dude into another dude
Update #3 Stage 1-2
Update #4 Stage 1-3 + Infinite weapon durability bug
Update #5 Stage 1-4 Gold & Silver boss fight
Update #6 Prompt-cancel
Update #7 Stage 1-5
Update #8 Stage 1-6 Elvis boss fight #1
Update #9 The Shop & Techniques property
Update #10 Stage 2-1
Update #11 Ground Dodging
Update #12 Stage 2-2
Update #13 How to use moves with long startup animations
Update #14 Stage 2-3
Update #15 Demons don't appear randomly
Update #16 Stage 2-4
Update #17 Warm Up Room and Fighting Ring
Update #18 Stage 2-5 Evil 3 Stooges boss fight #1
Update #19 Sidestep-cancelling aka Table Hopper
Update #20 Stage 2-6
Update #21 Invincibility-Frame Extension
Update #22 Stage 2-7 Elvis boss fight #2
Update #23 Techniques used in stage 1 & 2 + Breakdown
Update #24 Stage 3-1
Update #25 Air Launch Kick & Shoryuken follow-up against airborne opponents
Update #26 Stage 3-2 The Champ boss fight #1
Update #27 Stage 3-3
Update #28 Stage 3-4 Mad Midget Five boss fight #1 + 3-5
Update #29 Stage 3-6 Shannon boss fight #1
Update #30 Stage 4-1 to 4-4 + Evil 3 Stooges boss fight #2
Update #31 Juggle system rundown
Update #32 Stage 4-5 You, Me, Pattycake
Update #33 Stage 4-6 Iron Bridge Fashion Show
Update #34 Stage 4-7 & 4-8 Azel boss fight
Update #35 Stage 4-9 Fat Bazooka Trap & 4-10 Dr. Ion boss fight
Update #XXXVI Stage 5-1 Oh No! Human Horseshoes
Update #37 Stage 5-2 Dangerous Alleyways
Update #38 Stage 5-3 Long Walk, Short Pier
Update #39 Stage 5-4 Rock Star Tour Boat
Update #40 Stage 5-5 The Floating Bazaar, 5-6 Knife Sniper & 5-7 Encore?
Update #41 Stage 5-8 & 5-9 Demon Elvis boss fight
Update #47 Stage 7-3 Great Sensei's Revengeance
Update #42 Stage 6-1 to 6-3 feat. Alps and yoshesque
Update #43 Stage 6-4 & 6-5 Mad Midgtet 5 boss fight #2
Update #44 Stage 6-6 Whip It! & 6-7 Stop Before You Hurt Yourself
Update #45 Stage 6-8 & 6-9 Demon Shannon boss fight
Update #46 Stage 7-1 The Tower Mirage & 7-2 The Flying Pyramid
Update #48 Stage 7-4 The Mirage Town & 7-5 The Four Devas' Leader Belze boss fight
Update #49 Finale (the end)

Hard New Game+ run

Youtube playlist

Fresh Kick Me Sign Hard run

Youtube playlist

Maps from official JP guide

Map caption

-1-1 1-2 1-3 1-4 + Gold & Silver 1-5 1-6 + Elvis
-2-1 2-2 2-3 2-4 2-5 + The 3 Stooges 2-6 2-7 + Elvis
-3-1 3-2 + The Champ 3-3 3-4 part 1 + Mad Midget 4 3-4 part 2 3-6 + Shannon
-4-1 & 4-2 4-3 4-4 + The 3 Stooges 4-5 4-6 4-7 4-8 + Azel 4-9 4-10 + Dr.Ion
-5-1 5-2 5-3 5-4 + Ravel 5-5 5-6 5-7 + Debussy 5-8 5-9 + Demon Elvis
-6-1 6-2 6-3 6-4 6-5 6-6 6-7 6-8 6-9
-7-1 7-2 7-3 + Great Sensei 7-4 7-5 + Belze
-8-1 8-2 8-3 + Masked Gorilla 8-4 + Fat Ninja 8-5 + Afro Fist
-9-1 Azel

A look at the GOD HAND official Japanese guide book

:eng101: God Hand's basic and advanced gameplay mechanics :eng101:

-Items

-Easy, Normal and Hard difficulty differences:

:siren: -Controls overview - Tutorial (text):siren:
Read this first if you're unfamiliar with this game or need a refresher.
Basic overview of the controls, HUD, guard break, stun status, counter hits, etc.

-How to get good at God Hand (video)
Something I made a while ago, same as above but in video format, in which I address the basic controls, movement options, dodging, cancels, counter-hits, enemy stun and dizzy status, crowd controls and various tips.

-Default moveset deconstruction (text)
The default moveset has all the tools you need to beat the game! It is totally possible to beat God Hand with the default moveset only. Your attacks deal no damage whatsoever in the later stages, but you can do it with enough perseverance and lack of social life. People call it a No Upgrade run or Stock run.

-Demons' spawning rate isn't RNG based

~Advanced techniques~

-Launching a dead dude into another dude
-Prompt-Cancel
-Ground Dodging
-Sidestep-cancelling
-Invincibility-Frames Extension
-Forearm Smash is a better version of Barrel Roll Kick

Bonus:

-Techniques used from Stage 1-1 to Stage 2-2 (video)
-Techniques used from Stage 2-3 to 2-7 (video)

-The God Hand basic tutorial
An in-depth, spoiler-free 40 min long video (!!) I contributed to, where my buddy Alps teaches you the basics of the game.
Watching it isn't mandatory, feel free to skip this one for now.

-Elvis' theme, Smoking Rollist (slow down version) from stage 2-7

-Beetle conspiracy in God Hand and Platinum Games exposed (addendum of Stage 3-4)

PAL, NTSC, JP cover differences

Alternate U.S. and European Cover Art with the fist going through the opponent's mouth. Brutal.

The cover of "My Hero", a Sega Master System game from 1985. Oddly similar to God Hand's cover.

Gene

Voiced by: Beng Spies

The player character of God Hand, Gene is a 23-year-old smart-rear end drifter who really likes beating people up, and firmly believes that he has a "macho" exterior. However, he earnestly has a strong sense of justice and upon witnessing a young woman being attacked by a gang of demons, immediately runs in to save her. Things don't go quite as planned, and Gene ends up getting his own right arm hacked off. The woman, named Olivia, shows her gratitude by replacing it with one of the legendary God Hands. With this new power, Gene is now fully capable of going toe-to-toe with even the most powerful of demons... but he is also obligated to rescue those under the yoke of Demonkind. And if he doesn't, Olivia will take the God Hand back with her Hatchet!

Olivia

Voiced by: Bettina Bush

This young lady is actually one of the last surviving members of the clan that has guarded the God Hands for centuries. She had barely escaped from the execution of said clan, entrusted with one of the God Hands by her father. She is saved by Gene when she's attacked by Bruce and Felix, and gives Gene the God Hand as a gift of "thanks" — because she now has someone to order around and stop the demons from overthrowing humanity. But if Gene has the right God Hand, where is the left one?

Miscellaneous

Unless Kamiya is trolling us again, God Hand runs on the same engine as Okami, not Resident Evil 4's.

God Hand trailer from Tokyo Game Show 2006 done in Touhou MMD from nico nico douga

A spot-on review of the game from Amazon.com by a devout Christian thinking that the game being called "God Hand" was about spreading the love gospel of Christianity (not)

Vstyletournament 5 Traditional combo video by yours truly, featuring two God Hand clips (fairy challenge 1 and arena challenge 42), some Jetstream Sam footage from Metal Gear Rising as well as Dante from Devil May Cry 4

Clown.avi

Cyphoderus posted:

Fun trivia: the Half Moon Kick in this game is a capoeira flourishing move called an S Dobrado ("Bent S", because the lead leg makes a movement similar to the letter S bent 90 degrees in the middle). There's a lot of capoeira moves with names that are variations of "half moon", but this... isn't one of them :doh:

Zeikier posted:

Tangentially related, but way back I was doing a challenge run of Pokemon LeafGreen, and when I got to Brock I decided to do the comic entry a la God Hand. Then I realized how awkward it is doing human poses with a character whose face is their body.

Wayne posted:

too late !

Somethingawful user Wayne photoshopped Bernie sanders' haircut onto one of the Four Divas member, Belze.

GODHAND fanart compilation

mkob fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 11, 2016

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Update #1

Heyyy

Stage 1-1 The Beginning

:siren: You really should check the following before watching the first episode: :siren:

Easy, Normal and Hard difficulty differences

So since I'm playing on Hard, I might as well explain how to unlock it. Simple, beat the game once on Normal difficulty.

On Hard, the Roulette Wheel stock is limited to 4 Roulette Orbs, enemies have 20% more HP than on Normal, they are faster, more prone to dodge your hits, are resistant to instant-launch attacks, their blocking stance is shorter meaning less time to land a Guard Breaker, and you can't use ☆GROVEL☆ a roulette move that lets you go back to difficulty level 1.

-Tutorial - Controls overview (text)
Basic overview of the controls, guard break, stun status, counter hits, etc.

-How to get good at God Hand (video)
Same as above but in video format, in which I address the basic controls, movement options, dodging, cancels, counter-hits, enemy stun and dizzy status, crowd controls and various tips and tricks. You really should watch this video before starting the let's play or else you'll have no idea what I'm doing.

-Default moveset deconstruction (text)
The default moveset has all the tools you need to beat the game! It is totally possible to beat God Hand with the default moveset only. Your attacks deal no damage whatsoever in the later stages, but you can do it with enough perseverance and lack of social life. People call it a No Upgrade run or Stock run.

mkob fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 21, 2015

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Cool, this really scratches an itch. I am addicted to LPs of games like this being demolished and then dissected.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

i now realize how poo poo i am at this game holy gently caress :magical:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

SSNeoman posted:

i now realize how poo poo i am at this game holy gently caress :magical:

hah you thought you were good at videogames.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Dang, this is some excellent gameplay and the subtitled commentary lets the stellar soundtrack shine. Well done! I look forward to following this.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?
Ground floor of one of the greatest games, of what's going to be one of the greatest LPs.

I want to see you clear Arena Match 51 KMS-style with no cheese. I can tell from watching that you can do it. I just want to see it. :allears:

Nat
Apr 3, 2012
Subtitled playthrough is interesting in its own right. Although I'm most looking forward to the upcoming combo exhibition. :allears:

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I am impressed, god drat. Going to be watching this like a hawk.
Also I just realized you are the same guy who did the Mexican soap opera versions of DmC. You sir are a national treasure. :allears:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I always knew how poo poo I was at this game and am still amazed I made it through on Normal just because of my mediocrity.

Watching actual good people play this is a fun show.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Haven't you already done like 3 complete walk throughs of this game on YT? This should be fun.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Just looking at the thread is enough to get the music stuck in my head. This should be fun.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Pumped for this. I want to see this game wrecked.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Daaaaamn, you have some serious cojones for God Hand on Hard. You should probably advertise that in the thread title.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

Alabaster White posted:

Daaaaamn, you have some serious cojones for God Hand on Hard. You should probably advertise that in the thread title.
"You got quite a pair to pick that" God Hand on Hard

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Another series that God Hand seems to be drawing from is Capcom's Final Fight, at least in terms of style. (I only played 3, mind.)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I LOVE it!

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
I can always appreciate a good God Hand playthrough. :)

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Update #2

Let's have a look at the map from the first level.

Level 1-1 map

Caption

"Reinforcements" are scripted enemy spawn points, you need to fulfill certain requirements first for more bad guys to appear in specific areas of a level.

In 1-1 for the main door to open, the requirements are:
-Killing the demon in the saloon (mandatory)
-Beating the crap out of at least 10 bad guys

Launching a dead dude into another dude

There's something I've been doing in the first video that I'd like to explain. I don't have a name for this "technique," but basically you can launch a dead dude in another dude's face. Click on the link to watch the video then come back.

How it work:
-Launch a DEAD enemy in the air, at Air Launch Kick height
-Open Roulette Wheel (R1) to target nearest enemy
-Perform Air Launch Kick (↑+△)

When an enemy is considered dead, with no HP left, you cannot target him anymore by opening the Roulette Wheel, you will target the nearest guy instead. Now if you send the dead dude at Air Launch Kick height (either using La Bomba, a Juggle move like Charged Punch in the picture and first episode, or a charged Axe Kick like in the video, etc.), the game still recognizes his/her "airborne" hitbox and you can perform an Air Launch Kick (or Shoryuken) and send him flying right into another guy's face. It looks pretty awesome and is pretty fun to do.

I found that out by accident. What I was actually doing in the video was opening the Roulette Wheel to lock-on the other guy, but then I was mashing both Triangle to close the wheel and ↑ ↑ on the left stick to dash and the game recognized the Air Launch Kick input and performed it anyway. Actually, pretty much 80% of the stuff me and my buddy Alps found in God Hand were accidents, where Alps told me to check something specific but then I ended up experimenting a bit more and here we are. More on that later.

mkob fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jun 2, 2015

Vprisoner
Jun 28, 2007

THEMAINGATETHE
MAINGATETHEMAIN
GATETHEMAINGATE
THEMAINGATETHE
MAINGATETHEMAIN
GATETHEMAINGATE
SHININGLASER!!!
Just curious, what are your emulation settings? I'd messed around with getting God Hand to look good a while back but this thread's got me motivated again.

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Vprisoner posted:

Just curious, what are your emulation settings? I'd messed around with getting God Hand to look good a while back but this thread's got me motivated again.

Lemme check. I'm using PCSX 1.3.0-0 Jun 25 2014 with mostly everything on default settings. God Hand doesn't need big tweaks to run properly as long as you have a decent rig (mine isn't and it still works).

Config > emul setting
Config > plugin/bios
Config > plugin/bios > SPU2

edit: 2x resolution scaling is enough. 3x and more is overkill performance/CPU wise

mkob fucked around with this message at 13:02 on May 19, 2015

Vprisoner
Jun 28, 2007

THEMAINGATETHE
MAINGATETHEMAIN
GATETHEMAINGATE
THEMAINGATETHE
MAINGATETHEMAIN
GATETHEMAINGATE
SHININGLASER!!!
Thanks, I'll have to try those out later.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Hey a God Hand LP?! This should be pretty entertainin-

Oh

YOU'RE not Alexander :colbert:

goddamn what does that line mean does nobody know :(

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Oh

It's a reference to a Mike Tyson speech. A lot of thugs reference it as well. My defense is impregnable, my style is impetuous, I'm Alexander the Great.

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Oh

Yep like dscruffy1 said.

"After beating Lou Savarese in 38 seconds in 2000, Tyson rattled off a post-fight interview for the ages. He ignored interviewer Jim Gray’s questions and went on an epic rant, targeting the heavyweight champ."
The "I'm Alexander" and "My style is impetuous" quotes are near the end of the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4l0ZyKmeNE

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

mkob posted:

Yep like dscruffy1 said.

"After beating Lou Savarese in 38 seconds in 2000, Tyson rattled off a post-fight interview for the ages. He ignored interviewer Jim Gray’s questions and went on an epic rant, targeting the heavyweight champ."
The "I'm Alexander" and "My style is impetuous" quotes are near the end of the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4l0ZyKmeNE

huh, you learn something new every day! Why don't the enemies praise Allah or talk about ripping out your heart?

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.
drat, first AN's DMC4 playthrough comes back from the dead and NOW we've got a Hard mode God Hand run going at the same time? Oh boy, this is going to be fun. :toot:

Captain Q
Nov 30, 2005

I CONJURE THIS INTREPID FANTASYSCAPE WITH TEARS BLED FROM THE WISDOM-WEARY EYES OF FIFTY THOUSAND IMAGINARY MAGICIANS
This is my favorite video game.

This is a good LP.

I hope to learn much from your kung fu style.

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Update #3

Stage 1-2 My Right Arm The God Hand
Fairy Challenge fight song is Galaxy Remix (More Strobe Action) from Space Channel 5: Part 2

Moveset used:

:siren: KMS Stage 1-2 :siren:

The true KMS run starts here. As seen in the first cutscene (if you didn't skip it), Olivia puts a paper on Gene's back as a joke. Activating the God Hand or using a Roulette Move will remove the sign. Beating the game with the KMS still on is a famous challenge amongst God Hand players, and there is actually a reward for doing so - upon completion of the game, you will receive one out of 4 Jukebox CDs.

This KMS playthrough is played on a fresh Hard difficulty save, fresh meaning I'm starting the game from scratch, and it is pure raw (kickass) gameplay with no commentary but with custom soundtrack. Songs used will always be in the video description.

Level 1-2 map

Caption

Head Slicer

The Head Slicer roulette move comes with a twist: it can decapitate bad guys. In order to get the decapitation effect, the enemy you're facing as to be low on HP and you have to be up-close to him. The head popping out was removed from the JP version of the game since Japan is pretty anal about gore stuff. Personally, I don't think gratuitous gore fits the slapstick violence theme of God Hand.

Fairy Challenges Rewards

You get different rewards upon completion of fairy challenges depending on your difficulty level (not Difficulty period, but difficulty level, i.e. lvl 1, 2, 3 and DIE.)

Fairy Challenge #1
Objective: "Annihilate all of the enemies before time runs out."

Time limit: 2:00

Rewards:
level 1: 5000 G
level 2: 7500 G
level 3: 10,000 G
level DIE: 20,000 G

mkob fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 21, 2015

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?

mkob posted:

This KMS playthrough is played on a fresh Hard difficulty save, fresh meaning I'm starting the game from scratch, and it is pure raw (kickass) gameplay with no commentary but with custom soundtrack. Songs used will always be in the video description.
:eyepop:

This is gonna be gooooood

Opiomorphone
Nov 30, 2014
Looking forward to this LP. I always like seeing people be really good at games. Because I am not that good at video games.

Also as a final note: gently caress elves, stupid pointy eared bastards. Where is the magma cannon?

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
I'm glad you're putting both KMS, and non KMS run while not cheesing your way through either. This is great so far can't wait for more. :munch:

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Good God did you really just annihilate that challenge in like 15 seconds? I love seeing these types of games that have a steep learning curved being completely mastered like this.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Elvis!

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
This is amazing. I had attempted a few hard runs, trying to keep the kick me sign and all that, but just couldn't compete.
Really looking forward to seeing you dismantle these levels.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Well I'm not sure what I was expecting but it wasn't Jack Black.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Given how the Head Slicer is billed, even though it doesn't really fit with the game's tone it sort of has to be beheading.

Also god drat you are good at this game, which I both love and am garbage at.

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?
You are absurdly skilled at this game. Are you Alexander?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wottermelon
Mar 12, 2014

Been watching your God Hand stuff for a while Mike, and though I've seen your KMS stuff before, it's always nice to see some more skilled exhibitions!

• Locked thread