Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007
Great LP. Are you ever going to use some experimental move setups, like guard breakers/launchers/juggles in the square combo? I always had fun with those setups, even if they weren't the most efficient. I had one setup I used against Azel/Gene that had no guard breakers in it. The square combo went something like Stomping Fist > Rocket Uppercut > Double Spin Kick > Step Back Kick > Reverse Hell Kick > Forearm Smash. It was pretty awesome when you get them dizzy against the wall at the start of the combo.

Also, thank you for explaining just how awesome the default moveset is. I spent years telling people it has everything you need, but bad players would insist it sucks because it doesn't have drunken twist/hand plant kick/multi-hitting punches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

mkob posted:

Something that always bugged me when watching people playing god hand is how they're so reluctant to experiment and rather stick with the same moveset throughout the whole game instead, at least until they find the broken moves like drunken twist, chain yanker and high side kick wall spam then it's full cheese from there. You have this playthrough on youtube where some guy beat the game using just 3 moves, I think he's some sort of robot or probably brain dead because this is really pathetic to watch, you see him spam drunken twist > mach speed jab > guard break > mach speed jab, in this order and repeat it ad nauseam for 20 videos straight. Like what's the point, how do you even have fun pressing the same 3 buttons over and over. Same thing in Bayonetta where you can PKP spam or in DMC with killer bee/stinger spam.

The problem is that God Hand doesn't discourage players from playing in the most boring way possible. That's how you get Hard KMS youtube videos where they lure single enemies away from groups to fight one-on-one as much as possible and spam punch>punch>guard breaker ad nauseum. That, and the game had a reputation where it was considered hard, so fans of the game justified those cheap tactics to themselves because "oh, it's not possible to fight groups of enemies with the default moveset"

I remember one video where a guy used god hand unleashes on every wave of the pyramid, and left the last enemy remaining to yes man kablaam up to a full gauge. And he was considered a good player by many people.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

ArclightBorealis posted:

I think the way I interpreted that behavior in God Hand's case, is that because enemies are much more aggressive than your typical fodder in DMC or Bayo and don't give a poo poo about waiting their turn or staying put off screen, I can see why some players would rely on the same setup for the entire game (I know I did when I first played) because they don't want to risk loving things up with something they haven't practiced. Similar to something like Ninja Gaiden. A lot of NG especially on higher difficulties is using a lot of the same few moves like flying swallows, izuna drops, downward slashes from a wall jump in a corner, Ultimate Techniques (plus Obliteration Techniques in NGII's case), and just about any other moves that grants invincibility frames in order to deal with groups quickly because there are serious penalties for loving around.

Basically God Hand has the same amount of potential for stylish action as a DMC game, but people interpret playing it as a game about efficiency similar to Ninja Gaiden.

This is definitely a part of it. Also a lot of the moves that are unlocked in later stages are actually downgrades from the moves you already have, so that discourages people from experimenting.

In the end, though, it's about player skill and what people are comfortable with doing. You don't get any better at the game by using god hand/roulettes, and you're not going to want to get creative when you're struggling to play normally, especially when there are so many easy "outs"

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

mkob posted:

Moveset used:

Rolling Sobat owns. It feels so good when you connect a critical with it.

I always thought it was funny how Half Moon Kick is gotten way later than Hand Plant Kick, and at a ridiculous price.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007
I demand more YMK finishers in the future.

edit: a YMK finisher during god hand mode is also acceptable

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007
It's weird how there's so much misinformation in the techniques menu. High Side Kick isn't listed as being a launcher. There's no distinction given between the different 'levels' of launchers. Hand Plant Kick isn't listed as being able to evade high attacks.

Then there's the weird design decisions for lots of the moves too. Like how Haymaker 1 is a (terrible) guard breaker, but Haymaker 2 switches properties to be a launcher. And how iirc Left Twister loses its evade high property the moment your attack connects, making it pretty pointless.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

mkob posted:

Also fun fact, the devs balanced/changed the property of 3 moves in the NA version:

Left Roundhouse can't be cancelled in the JP version and it makes no sense;
Expert Sobat acts as a Guard Breaker (JP) instead of a Launch (NA);
Chin Music is twice as slow in the JP version;

While those are all good changes, you have to wonder why those were the only ones made. I mean, as much as I loved creating situations for the flashy-but-not-good techniques (Dashing Sobat...), there's some obvious changes they could have made to make them actually useful.

Left Roundhouse was awesome and so strong for stage 1. Lots of times I made a beeline to get it. I remember lots of people suggesting against buying the sushi, though, since it's apparently not DPS efficient to have 6 moves in your square combo for god hand mode

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

mkob posted:

Moveset used in KMS video:

Face buttons:
High Kick
High Side Kick
Mule Kick
Chin Music
Spinning Backfist

Square slots:
Jab 2
Straight 2
Right Hook
Uppercut 1
I always felt like stage 2 doesn't have a lot going for it in terms of new techniques. The few it does offer are pretty cool, though. High Kick is a nice replacement for High Side Kick, and the fact that it's slightly slower often times lets you get counter hits without really having to time anything. Looking forward to seeing what you do with Fist of Justice, that was always one of my favorite techniques, just for how versatile it is. I liked putting it in the square combo sometimes.

dancingbears posted:

Oh, there are those subtitles in the KMS run. Having Gene suddenly break his silent supreme beatdown to bitch about how awful blade demons are got a surprised laugh out of me.

It's best when they commit suicide by charging off the stage, rewards be damned (almost all the techniques you can get off demons can already be bought in the shop anyway). They just have too much HP, like they were balanced for god hand/roulette use without considering KMS.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

dscruffy1 posted:

Crowd controlling is still drat near impossible but it's one of those things I'd have to practice before I get it. The 4-5 hit counter I could do in practice arena but it's a much different story trying to do that in a group.

Crowd control is just really hard to do in this game. Level DIE enemies are really aggressive, they dodge, and they don't stay down for long. You can only target one enemy at a time and there aren't many AOE attacks, so usually crowd control consists of constantly launching enemies away as they come to you. There's a few cheesy techniques that make it a cinch, but then there are a lot of slower and/or uncancelable techniques that make it a lot harder than it should be. Getting good at crowd control really comes down to consistently getting counter hits, which is why High Side Kick and Charged Punch are so dominant, because they're fast, cancelable, and getting counter hits brings out their full effects.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Zeikier posted:

Is the stun breakout and stun threshold the same amount of hits/not affected by the power and only by the amount of times they're hit?

In addition to what mkob said, I seem to remember that enemies recover their stun counter over time, i.e. throwing a jab once a minute for half an hour is never going to stun them. I could be wrong on that, though.

Zeikier posted:

I never used the Sushi. Are there any benefits to having longer combos or does it not matter in the long run if you have a good enough handle on the game?

You should always have longer combos because longer combos are cooler, efficiency be damned. Besides, you can always remove techniques from the extra slots whenever you want. You can play around with putting juggles, guard breakers, evade high attacks, etc if you're worried about enemies trying to guard mid-combo.

gigglefeimer fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 10, 2015

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007
The fact that you get all the OP moves so early in the game always made me wonder what the hell the developers were thinking. Yes, let's make Drunken Fist a Stage 2 move, and let's make Drunken Twist available before Left Twister.

Stomping Fist and Rocket Uppercut make such a great pair. All the juggle techniques are fun to combo together.

Spinning Sobat sucks but it looks so cool. The same could be said for a lot of other moves.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007
Nothing is better than humiliating enemies while looking absolutely ridiculous yourself. Go with Carnival

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

mkob posted:

Nah I meant writing stuff about the mechanics to help people understand how to play the game since there's no tutorial, like what you see in the thread. If we're talking about cheesing strategy, then yeah that's been already documented on gamefaqs in the ~God Hand Bible~ where someone sat down and thought "you know what, I will document every single cheesing and spamming strategy in the game, that will help people understand how to play better". Imagine if someone did that for DMC or ninja gaiden, the "izuna drop and stinger spam bible" that's ridiculous

~the God Hand Bible~ posted:

Special Combos

Want to know what tricks the pros use? Then look no further. Here are some tricks that will help you in a variety of situations. I also put in a few tricks that I personally use. Assume that any time a “+” is used that you should use a dodge for canceling, though it isn’t always necessary for every one of these combos.

Chain Yanker + Yes Man Kablaam + Yes Man Kablaam + Reaction
This is a godly combo to say the least. Watch your tension skyrocket with this. If you’re fast enough, you can also get in a couple normal hits before you do the reaction command.

High Side Kick Spamming
Get an enemy against a wall (or a corner if possible) and spam the move. The enemy will sometimes try to jump out of it, but keep your timing and the enemy can sometimes get back into the spamming. You can also use side-dodging to help control which direction in which he will try to escape from. This works against male enemies better because female enemies fall to the ground very fast. Also, you can stop the spamming after doing it for a few seconds and then hit the enemy with a normal attack to dizzy them.
loving lol. This never gets old.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007
Hey man, quit being so elitist. This game is too haaaaaard to beat any other way. Never stop that HSK lock, yo.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Storm One posted:

It seems mkob has thoroughly studied the bible for this one, which means we'll hopefully never be subjected to the sort of tedious, meandering gameplay he'd been uploading thus far and we'll finally witness a truly skilled playthrough. Subscribed.

I didn't see a Fist of God unleash, what is this trash gameplay??

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007
I vote you do gimmick runs for the next few levels. No free moves/crappy moveset kind of thing.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

mkob posted:

I'd say no and the same goes with the other demon-form bosses in the game. They're all damage sponges, your kicks and punches barely phase them--though you can still interrupt some of their attacks, e.g. when demon Elvis opens his mouth to swallow gene--and it's just impossible to style or make those fights interesting as you're forced to mash the square button and backflip every 2 seconds. You can see in the KMS video that demon Elvis loves to spam his fire-thrower attack which completely breaks the flow of the fight because the only response to that is to stop and back away, repeat the button mashing until the next fire-thrower attack, then you back away etc. rinse repeat until one of you runs out of HP. The only thing remotely interesting/peculiar with demon Elvis is shown at the end of the KMS fight where you can juggle his dead corpse over and over.

I find the demon-form bosses to be the most boring enemies to fight in the game, their AI is on autopilot and they're relentless to boot, once you understand their pattern there really isn't any real strategy to them but literally mashing square and backflipping, making the fights very mechanical and boringly tedious. I'm only talking from a gameplay perspective though, I like the cutscenes and banter before and after the fights, they're pretty entertaining and hyped but the way the actual fights were designed is just awful. That's why I think Azel and most humanoid enemies in the game are really fun to fight in comparison, you're not just brainlessly pressing buttons but reacting to what they're doing and they also respond to you in return, there's a sort of dialogue between you and them whereas with demon elvis/shannon/belze the game turns into a test of endurance taken straight from an MMO boss raid which I find really boring to play in the action beat 'em up genre.

FWIW you did over-dodge in your KMS video, so you could've gotten it done faster. The fight is monotonous no matter what, though.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

mkob posted:

I'm not saying people can't enjoy a game if they're bad at it and are just button mashing, my point is that people never dug into God Hand's (very basic) mechanics and truly showcased what it had to offer. I'm not asking people to sink hours into the game and become hardcore about it, I just want them to get good so that they can somewhat enjoy the combat system instead of relying on boring prehistoric spamming tactics. Quick reminder, the only documentation available about this game in the past 10 years were cheesing techniques and speedrunning strategies before Alps and myself came out of the woodwork.

The reason practically nobody has dug into the mechanics of God Hand is because it isn't a hardcore game. You're never forced to learn much about the combat system when you can spam god hand mode, spam roulettes, and spam regular attacks while not being threatened in the slightest. The game never even discourages this kind of play. Throw in the self-proclaimed "hard but fair" moniker, and people who do like the game feel like it's impossible to win without their cheesy spammy tactics because the game is just so hard, man. They don't even bother to try to get better at the game.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

yoshesque posted:

This is like saying that someone who spammed durga bombs and PKP with Shuraba in Bayonetta has played the game to its full extent. Sure, it gets the job done, but it's not a true representation of what the game has to offer. Smashing your head against a wall and saying that you beat the game is all fine and dandy, but you haven't actually tried to learn the game at all. I'm not saying people who cheesed their way through God Hand and enjoyed it are wrong for doing so, but I understand Mike's frustrations when he talks about people not digging into the game.

Why did nobody dig into God Hand's mechanics? It sure as heck wasn't because it's not a hardcore game (wtf does this mean anyway). Sure, a lack of incentive plays into this, but surely nobody really thought that being good at God Hand boiled down to Chain Yanker + YMK + HSK spam.

That's literally what people thought.

It's the game's fault that it doesn't encourage high level play. Why do things the hard way when the game offers so many easy ways out?

Edit: Basically from what I used to see, people treated God Hand like a JRPG, where the "best" players had knowledge of all the cheap tactics. Anyone who ignored those things and tried to deeply engage the mechanics were seen like weird challenge run players

gigglefeimer fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Mar 16, 2016

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007
Honestly, the 3.0 from ign is bs, but some of the points in the review are not too far off base. Like, everything besides the combat is lacking, god hand mode and roulettes are all flash and little substance, the game can get button mash-y, you're at the mercy of luck with demon spawns, etc.

I still had a ton of fun playing it. Scoring consecutive counter hits and just blowing away entire groups of enemies was really satisfying. And the variety and responsiveness of all the dodges makes you almost forget about the awkward tank controls. It just felt like I wasn't playing the game the way it was intended by ignoring the god hand, roulettes, and a good chunk of the techniques for being too overpowering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007
At a certain point I just entirely moved away from using regular punches and guard breakers. I preferred to have every technique in my moveset, including the 6 move square combo, some sort of launch/juggle/knockdown effect. The whole guard breaking game just gets tedious as hell. Double spin kick gets a pass for being so stylish

• Locked thread