Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
This is something I feel like I need to point out because it definitely blew my mind when I realized it (after having played this game on and off since like 2007).

So a few videos back mkob showed off this special attack that the elite thugs use sometimes. I didn't figure this out until recently despite having also read the manga Jojo's Bizarre Adventure a while back, but it's almost certainly a reference to the character Wham - an antagonist in that series - who uses a similar "super move" called Holy Sandstorm. It fits in pretty well with a lot of the other anime references in this, Resident Evil 4, and Vanquish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

FH_Meta posted:

I think that the skin stuff for Elvis is supposed to be a reference to Kiba Daioh and his Kazan Kogai Koho technique. I suppose we'd really know if there was a nice big I-beam around.

I think it's a case of several different pieces of media referencing the same thing. One Piece and Metal Gear Rising make the same reference, and I think there's supposed to be some kind of folklore about monks turning parts of their bodies black to fight, or something like that.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Wheany posted:

Who wrote the dialogue in this game? Because "Have your pets neutered or SPADE" is a really good bad line.

I assume it's this dude called JP Kellams who is credited for the game's localization. He still works at Platinum Games and is in charge of the English scripts (at least) for most of their games, and I think his influence is pretty noticeable.

Digital Jello posted:

edit: Also, I'm trying to read the background english on those scans. What were the midges originally called? Mini Mini Five?

Yes.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
I think the kanji read "kamiken" which is basically just god hand, yeah.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
I think the standard enemies don't start doing it to you until stage 5.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
Kamiya himself has said he sees Amaterasu as genderless. I don't totally get how this is supposed to square with Amaterasu being consistently referred to as a mother (maybe it just refers to her physical form) but that's the statement.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Zain posted:

This also came out with all the original creator's of Okami AKA Clover Studios getting cut from the credits. This was a very easy perceived slight to fans and supporters of Clover/Platinum Games. This was just another poo poo pile into the dying name of Capcom too. It seemed a bit childish and let's be honest completely disingenuous.

Are you sure you're not thinking of the English release of the Wii port, which cut out the credits sequence and post-credits scene? The PS3 version removed the original credits music (which isn't much better, I think) but it left in the credits.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

mkob posted:

Unrelated but a friend ripped the SFX audio files from god hand, link here if you need the .wav (there are 1300 files).

This is fantastic. I've wanted an audio clip of Gene's "I love it" line for years.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

notZaar posted:

Animation lock sucks and it baffles me that so many people that about Dark Souls. I mean it's good in other ways but I hate the combat.

There's nothing inherently wrong with locking you into animations. It's certainly something that can be implemented in sloppy ways but it's a fine way to encourage tactical play.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

notZaar posted:

Almost every game will give the player crutches to help, save for some of those obscure bullet hell shmups. It doesn't mean you have to play like a cripple.

Even those games give you "crutches" - what else would you call bombs? Although of course their role varies from game to game.

I get where gigglefeimer is coming from. God Hand gives you plenty of crutches - more than a lot of action games do, really - and doesn't do much of anything to discourage you from using them (like how a lot of action games will use ranking systems to discourage item use, or to try to force you to use your moveset in interesting ways instead of going for maximum efficiency, like in Bayonetta or Devil May Cry 3 / 4). In that regard you could say it's not a "hardcore" game, because most people with functioning hands, eyes, and brains (and a decent amount of video game experience) can beat the game through casual, fairly undedicated play, and since there's no ranking system, there's nothing to strive for after that beyond self-improvement (which a lot of people aren't going to be interested in). However, by that metric, most action games are fairly "casual" anyway, only made especially difficult through their ranking systems and the occasional rough hardest difficulty mode.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

CptWedgie posted:

Personally, I call bombs "consumables." They don't qualify as "crutches" unless you get an infinite supply.

Also, one way God Hand encourages you to mix your move-set up a bit: It looks cooler that way than to use a minimalist, "pure efficiency" approach (which gets boring after the first couple stages, I'd expect, completely aside from HSK cheesing).

Right, and personally I agree. A lot of the enjoyment in action games like these comes from using your large toolsets to beat enemies in ways that look cool - so high side kick spamming or similar tactics, while efficient, aren't really interesting to use because they aren't exciting to look at. But regardless, I don't think that's really a great argument. Ultimately it's a mistake on the game designers' part if the most effective way to succeed isn't also the most fun or natural-feeling way to play. I think God Hand is still an amazing game because most of the totally busted poo poo is fairly ignorable, though. It's more flawed than Devil May Cry or maybe Bayonetta, but I think it's ultimately better than either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

notZaar posted:

I never played it but supposedly Madworld was basically Godhand 2.

Unfortunately not. It's really nothing like God Hand (outside of having an evasive that looks kind of similar, I guess).

I'm surprised to see it being praised here; it's Platinum's worst game by a mile. Great visuals and music, but it's incredibly repetitive and completely lacking in depth.

• Locked thread