Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

Even those games give you "crutches" - what else would you call bombs? Although of course their role varies from game to game.

I get where gigglefeimer is coming from. God Hand gives you plenty of crutches - more than a lot of action games do, really - and doesn't do much of anything to discourage you from using them (like how a lot of action games will use ranking systems to discourage item use, or to try to force you to use your moveset in interesting ways instead of going for maximum efficiency, like in Bayonetta or Devil May Cry 3 / 4). In that regard you could say it's not a "hardcore" game, because most people with functioning hands, eyes, and brains (and a decent amount of video game experience) can beat the game through casual, fairly undedicated play, and since there's no ranking system, there's nothing to strive for after that beyond self-improvement (which a lot of people aren't going to be interested in). However, by that metric, most action games are fairly "casual" anyway, only made especially difficult through their ranking systems and the occasional rough hardest difficulty mode.

Personally, I call bombs "consumables." They don't qualify as "crutches" unless you get an infinite supply.

Also, one way God Hand encourages you to mix your move-set up a bit: It looks cooler that way than to use a minimalist, "pure efficiency" approach (which gets boring after the first couple stages, I'd expect, completely aside from HSK cheesing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread