Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Pax and Noah

"Pax? More like Spaz.", one of the boys says, turning off across the soccer field. Noah squints a little with his eye as he looks up, watching Pax's leg move back as if readying to kick the ball right at her would-be tormentors. He stands up, closing his tablet, and walks over to put her hand on her shoulder, shaking his head. As she shoots him a defiant look, he just looks past her, over to the black car pulling up. Following his gaze, she just kicks the ball away half-heartedly, and they both make their way over to the vehicle.

This, of course, makes them unfashionably late into the entry plug, Noah still fingering his collar and making sure it's flush as the plug is flooded. "Hm? Things must be bad if they're mustering up the civilian pilots.", he says dryly once his lungs acclimate." Pax sits behind and above, going through the pre-launch process habitually. "Ah, they probably just want to make sure they get field experience, right?", she adds more hopefully.

Noah frowns. "As long as they stay out of our way." Switching the communicator on, he calls out, "Unit-02, ready for launch." With a crackle of lightning, they're launched upwards through the base, breaking swiftly as the LCL compresses momentarily. Their headbands at least keep their flowing hair away from their collective pair of eyes. With the channel opens, he says dismissively to Franklin, "Whatever, sure, just keep hiding behind that shield and keep yourself safe." That kind of smugness, though, is broken up by Pax popping up on the line and asking Dylan: "What's the Bambino? Oh! Did they give you an experimental weapon?"

pre:
Pax and Noah Victorious Taylor: Dual-Type Pilots

Aspects and Modes

Concept Aspect: Experimental Parallel Pilots
Experimental Aspect: Unstable Synchronization
Intrigue Aspect: Uncertain Loyalties
Action Aspect: 2 > 1
Omega Aspect: "Removing restrictions!"

Experimental Mode (9 points): Athletics, Combat, Notice, Physique, Stealth, Will

Skills 

Superb (+5):	Athletics, Combat*, Notice
Great (+4):	Physique, Stealth, Will*
Good (+3):	NA
Fair (+2):	Contacts, Deceive
Average (+1):	Provoke, Vehicles
* Includes Skill Improvement.

Stunts (6 benefits)

Pair of Aces: The Function and Flaw of any Evangelion piloted by Pax or Noah are treated as Signature Aspects;
that is, they get a free invoke once per issue to use on the function, and it costs 2 fate points to compel
(or refuse) the flaw rather than just 1.

Per Ardua Ad Astra: Once per scene, Pax and Noah may spend a fate point and choose a skill. That skill has +1
to its rating for the rest of the scene, up to a maximum of +6.

Prepare For Trouble... : When brainstorming to uncover an Angel's weakness, Pax and Noah can use Notice as if
it were a trained Science skill.

... and Make it Double (3 benefits): When not piloting an Evangelion, Pax and Noah can occupy two zones at
once, and can perform actions in or be targeted in either zone, and can move independently. If both are 
targeted by an attack that hits a zone or multiple zones because of this, they are only hit once. When making
an attack action outside of an Evangelion unit, they add 2 to their Weapon rating if they occupy the same
zone, or they can attack two separate targets with a single attack roll. Finally, they gain an additional mild
consequence slot.

Stress & Consequences

Physical Stress: □□□□	Mental Stress: □□□

Consequences: Mild, Mild, Moderate, Severe

Evangelion Unit-02 Dual-Type

Function: Production-Model Dual_Type Evangelion

Flaw: Risk of Psychological Cross-Contamination

Stunts: (3 benefits)

Code 666: Once per scene, add the "Beast Mode 2nd Phase" aspect to the Eva at the start of a turn. By taking
a mental or collateral consequence, add free invokes to the aspect equal to half the amount of stress that
consequence would absorb (1 for mild, 2 for moderate, 3 for severe, and 4 for extreme).

Mission-Dictated Arsenal: Weapon 2, or Weapon 4 at a cost.

Reinforced Binding Plates: Armor 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Pax and Noah

Unit-02 crouches down to waist-deep in water. It's not likely that a little water is going to to provide much concealment against an angel. "I don't like this, it's like it was designed to handle numbers.", Noah comments, before Pax pulls back on the controls. "You think it's thinking things like this? 'Boy, there sure are a lot of them, how am I going to deal with them all?!'" As Unit-02's left sling opens, sheit draws the pallet rifle, bringing it into position. "Well, we know it doesn't go on talking about nonsense like you do.", Noah jibes as Pax squints, bringing up the targeting. "That's cold, bro.", she adds back dryly.

"Hold.", she says simply to the other pilots as she aims. Then, she fires off a long burst, not really aiming per se. The rounds tumble through the air, and though they're enough to punch through a car individually, bringing the angel down isn't the intention. Instead, each bullet packs a sensory package, trying to build up a "map" of the angel's exterior and interior... though a premature AT field activation on the monster's part may stymie the whole very expensive gambit. Noah pokes at the interface, trying to make sure the data gets sent back to HQ. "Gimme a core, Noah.", she says, as the emptied clip falls to the water with a tremendous splash.

Noah frowns, and then says, "We'll work it out on the way! Let's go!", as he pushes the controls forward, kicking up enormous waves as he starts a run towards the angel. Pax is surprised for a moment, and then moves in tandem moments after. "Beginning the assault!", she calls out, and then tugs on the controller, moving another clip in as they rush forward.

Their roll is 3 to analyze the angel with Notice, but let's blow a fate point to activate Experimental Parallel Pilots to raise it up to 5. Oh, and moving towards the Fourth Angel.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Pax and Noah
Fate Points: 4

Taking a few hits before it reacts, Eva-02 catches a fist, blocking the other strike and turning it aside. In an instant, one of the fourth's other limbs is kicked aside with a stomp, before the twins vault into a spin kick that strikes several of the the angel's limbs aside, keeping them at bay. Their multidexterity is pretty amazing... and also amazing that it's only bought them a second or two. Pax and Noah simultaneously wince with the effort and the impact, keeping the whole evangelion in constant motion.

Well, spending a fate point for Per Ardua Ad Astra to raise their Combat to +6, and 5 is the result. So I'll take my free invoke of Production-Model Dual-Type Evangelion, which should raise it to a total of 7. The angel will have to live with a boost, maybe something pertaining to damage on Eva-02?

"We'll get out of your way!", Pax calls out over the comlink, and with a crouch, they leap up, looking to flip right over the angel with the Eva's agility. As Noah takes over the leap, Pax targets, hailing fire down towards the enemy as they aim to find themselves on the opposite side and out of easy reach, in order to keep angel under three interlocking fields of fire. Or that's the plan, as these things go.

Trying to create an advantage with combat: Three-Way Flanking Maneuver, with a total roll of 5. Well, glad I shored up combat, at least.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Pax and Noah

Though grabbed, Unit-02 struggles fiercely. Both twins pull against the controls, trying to make it that much harder for the angel to wishbone the Evangelion, but it's a foregone conclusion as long as you think of the Evangelion just as an extension of the self.

"Blow plates 31 though 33, and 44 through 47!", Noah calls out, as Pax blinks, and then locks a control as she calls out, "Confirm order. Blow restraint plates 31! 32! 33! 44!..." Externally, the restraints around the shoulder and elbow on Unit-02 fly off, revealing something darker and more flexible underneath. As Pax moves back to the control, she shoves it forward swiftly, the limb bends, and then twists in a way that isn't quite u. Pax winces, her eyes tearing up. On a human, this would be a dislocation or something worse, and the feedback is intense... but within tolerable levels. So far.

We have a defense of 7. The angel has a boost but not the full advantage.

The limb goes back to one of the Eva's pylons as it opens up, and Pax calls out, "Deploying progressive knife!" Though the angel is lightning swift in trying to bind up the limb again, Pax flips the knife, slashing at the disabled arm. Another comes right in after, but as the whole Eva leans forward, she shouts, trying to pin the other limb right to the angel's body at an unnatural angle as the "freed" limb twists its elbow the wrong way. "Don't mistake us for ordinary humans, you oversized octopus!", Pax shouts.

Rolled a 9 for the attack, spend a fate point to invoke "Removing Restrictions!" and let's blow the invoke on Disabled Arm to bump that to 13.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Pax and Noah
Fate Points: 3

Unit-02 struggles, both pilots contorting in pain as their plug suits painfully constrict. "Take this th-thing off the leash!", Noah asserts, and Pax shouts back. "N-No! I can do this! We have it!"

Still barely holding steady on with a 7.

Moving to plunge the knife into the Angel, Pax strains against the creature's... flesh?... as Noah plants a foot on the creature. Unit-02 reaches for the core, gripping it as Pax tries to cut it out, but after a moment leaves the knife stuck in the creature. Both of the Evangelion's hands reach in to try and pull as the leg pushes, trying to rip the core free of the angel entirely. Both of the pilots screaming in effort and pain, straining against the angel's crushing limbs and their own limits.

Only have a 5 on the attack this time, but invoking Exposed Core and spending a fate point each on 2 > 1 and Production Model Dual-Type Evangelion for a 11 with Weapon: 2.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Pax and Noah
Fate Points: 1

The twins don't react overtly to the praise, but both of them look tired. They may literally not have had their limbs yanked around like a child's toy, it still very much feels like it. Noah averts his gaze from the commander pointedly, though Pax just kind of slumps as she ragdolls against the back of her chair. They look at each other for a moment, but ultimately Pax seems to be the one keeping focus on the matters at hand.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Pax and Noah

" I'm great at the thing that's probably going to get my sister and I killed, I'll try to contain my excitement.", Noah says in an excessively dry tone. "Or all of us killed, really.", he adds, before starting off moodily. Pax halts, looking concerned - and probably a little hurt - over towards him. He seems to regret his words for a moment, flinching as he shoves his hands into his pockets and turns away. Pax looks somewhere between angry, and pouts. "Nobody's making you do this." He frowns, saying, "That's adorable to say, Pax.", dismissively as he goes to make his exit.

Pax glares daggers after him, but then her shoulders slump, really too tired to extend the fight any further. After a moment, she looks over to Rabah. "Ah, maybe you should review the operations manual again?" Mind, the notion of an "operations manual" may be a revelation for some other pilots. "It's easy to forget all the codes, I know."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Pax and Noah

"Drive... train?", Pax says a little haltingly, like that wasn't a combination of words she expected. "Ah, yeah, that sounds useful.", she adds to Rabah after a slight hesitation. Tapping her cheek with a fingertip, she seems to consider the facts presented to her for a moment before filing them away. "Um, chowdah?", she then adds to Dylan as she follows along, maintaining her confusion. "Is that related to baseball, too?"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Pax and Noah

After Pax changes, her exit with the others moves across across Noah on the steps, who moves to trail after, apparently still in a mood. Pax seems to be doing her best to offset that with her cheer, as if they were flip sides of the coin.

As they settle into the booth, Pax picks up a menu. "Oh, it's a milk soup!", she declares. "Nobody calls it that.", Noah points out with a sigh. "Somebody does now.", Pax replies defensively before hiding behind her wall of cardboard.

Looking over to Franklin, Noah gets a confident look as he adjusts his cap for a moment. "Anyway, don't feel too bad about today, the commander was probably just using you. They probably knew you'd try something like that and figured they could try and scare the rest of us a little with an example. I mean, they should have put us back there, I would have been glad to just park my rear end while the rest of you did all the hard work." From behind the cardboard menu, Pax's voice comes up. "Liar.", she says simply, before Noah gets an irritated look on his face. "... tch."

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jun 10, 2015

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Pax and Noah

"It's probably also a way of trying to try and get us to bond as a team. Adults think that way.", Noah says dryly in Franklin's direction, before suddenly he has a cardboard menu in his face as Pax says, "That's enough." Pushing it down, Noah grumps, "I'm just being honest." Pax leans over and the two say in near unison to Annie, "I'll have the-" "Clam Chowder." "Milk Soup!" Noah shoots Pax a baleful look as she just snickers to herself with a smile as she steals one of Dylan's chips, taking a bite. "She means the chowder."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Pax and Noah

Pax and Noah both take a bite, looking thoughtful. They don't always have the same meal, but they do when they're together. This is not intentional and neither is thrilled with it, but so far their game of culinary chicken always results in a collision. There are a lot of little moments that remind them of how well they can be synced up, not that you'd know it from their sibling jibes.

"What's it to you?", Noah replies to Annie more bluntly, as Pax stuffs her face quietly.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Pax and Noah

Noah frowns, pushing his bowl away as he quietly fumes. Pax looks to him, and then looks to Annie as she leans forward. "It's not like that, it's not... easy." She looks down to the table for a moment.

Pax looks warily on familiar faces hesitate as she warns them back with the gun, trying to keep a track on making sure one doesn't blindside her. They were crazy, just like the giant, but they were smart enough to work together and not just take a bullet without a plan. It was only a second or two before they decided which one would be taking a bullet for the others to bring her down.

But then, the sound of rending metal and concrete becomes a far more potent distraction a chunk of the complex tears free in the Evangelion's hand, her siblings tumbling away like the rest of the debris silently, and she can't tell because it's so loud or because they just won't scream anymore. It's eye- and it's very much an eye- meets hers, and her run launches her down a set of stairs, the ceiling coming down after as she rolls down the the steps, the lights going out debris and dust chase after.

"Getting in that thing is the hardest thing you'll ever do.", she says in a hushed tone, before taking a spoonful of soup and looking up to Annie for a moment.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Pax and Noah

"Some of us don't have much of a choice!", Noah starts up, erupting from his fuming as he stands up. "What're we supposed to do, anyway? Just let those things walk all over you?" He looks to the others with a frown. "'Superheroes'. Do you have any idea what it felt like for us today? That thing nearly tore us apart!", he says to Franklin. "And you were-" He pauses, and then shoves his hands into his jacket. "Whatever, I'm sick of listening to-"

He stops short as he spots Pax glaring at him. "- don't say it.", she says. "I wasn't going to.", he replies sourly. "Yes. You were.", she asserts.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Pax and Noah

"I'm not going anywhere.", Noah replies simply to Hannah, directly, and then says, "I can't believe all of you want to sit around and pretend everything is okay after what the commander did-"

Pax gets up and grabs his arm, pulling him away from the table. "Out.", she says simply, and he shrugs away for a moment before starting towards the exit. Pax looks apologetically back, but then stalks after the Noah angrily as they make their way towards the front exit.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Pax and Noah

Right Now

"Well, crap, I was just starting to really enjoy this detention.", Noah mumbles as the siren goes up, staring at his phone. "Hey, make sure nobody takes my seat before I get back, okay?", he adds to the bored teacher as he gets up. Given he's the only one in detention at the moment, it seems unlikely. He squints as he walks towards the door, probably not nearly in the hurry he should be.

12:34 PM, Tuesday

As the fist hits Bobby, he slumps against the wall, squinting in pain as his eyes tear up. His tormentors looms over him, their sneer jibing, "Bet you thought that was funny, well, laugh, you stupid mother-" The sentences isn't finished, though, as a fist from another boy that strikes the bully down, hard, his nose erupting in a gout of blood. The boy's eyepatch definitely makes him as one of the pair, and as the other two teenagers move in on Noah. He moves with the speed of a trained combatant, though, and a kick to the gut brings another down. The last would-be thug hesitates, but that's too long, as Noah's foot comes around with a roundhouse before touching the ground, clocking his head.

"You think you can just pick on people, huh?", Noah starts, before kicking the first one to fall to the ground. "I thought was hilarious, and now it's even funnier! Hahaha!", he says as he gets in several good, serious kicks before other students pull Noah back. "What, c'mon, laugh!", he shouts as he's dragged out of kicking range.

Right Now

Linda Hall freezes as the siren sounds, and is too distracted to stop the ball from hitting the net. "What, that totally counts!", Pax says from her kicking position, but then heads over to the buzz of her phone on the sidelines. "Whaaat, but-", Pax sighs, looking to the others on her team, and then just starts off at a jog. Linda's body protests with aches, and she can only sigh in relief, not even thinking on the impending danger. She was just glad the ball wouldn't be coming at her again. The girl with the eyepatch was some kind of freak, and she couldn't decide the idea of having her on the team was heartening or terrifying.

8:03 AM, Wednesday

"Nice bike!", Pax calls out as the motorcycle comes to a stop. A student. On a bike. She effuses, but as the rider steps off, she takes off her helmet, appraising Noah, and snorts. "Nice eyepatch.", she says with a sarcastic tone that flies over Pax's head. It takes about ninety feet and thirty-two seconds of Pax's enthusiastic jabber before she notices she's being ignored, and then about eleven more seconds for the rider's more enthusiastic greeting to her friends to stop Pax in her tracks, stunned by just how thoroughly she's been blown off.

Right Now

Pax accelerates, the bike wobbling as she peels a black strip down the road. Noah looks over her shoulder. "Hey, slow down!", he calls up, competing with the roar of the engine for volume. "Why'd you grab a motorcycle, anyway?! You barely know how to drive-" He's cut off as she banks, swinging through a turn. "Because it's awesome!", she says, grinning widely.

"I'm a lot less worried about the angel getting me killed.", Noah mumbled under the engine noise.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Pax and Noah

Pax leans on the controls, looking irritated. "What is command doooing?", she starts, and Noah snaps back. "Like I'd know? You're the one that's such a good little soldier." She frowns, saying, "That's not fair!... ugh, is this Angel trying to bore us to death- oh!"

Sitting upright, she looks to the swaying monolith, and then looks to Noah. "The legs.", he says simply. She shakes her head. "Nope. Snipe it." He rolls his eyes. "No way are you making that shot." Bringing up the comms, Pax calls out over the line, "Requesting an MM-120 and permission to fire.", referring to an Eva-sized sniper rifle. "Just watch me.", she says confidently to her copilot. Or arrogantly. Take your pick. "I guess there's no harm in trying.", Noah relents, and adds, "Or wasting ammo, anyway." Pax hmphs. "Just watch it, it's like the rhythm of a song..."

Do we refresh any fate points or stunts? Using the request to justify Weapon: 4 with a cost from existing stats if necessary. Got a 5 to try to Create an Advantage with Notice: Got That Rhythm.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Pax and Noah

Picking up the rifle, there's a moment as Unit-02 checks the chamber, and then shoulders it. Dropping to one knee, it braces against a docking crane, adjusting.

"Pax, something's happening with Unit 01..."

She squints, trying to sight in as the interface shifts, zooming in on the sight. Biting her tongue, she works at controlling her breath, focusing on the beat on her head.

"... it's attacking Unit 04. No, seriously, shouldn't we be doing something?"

One control runs the Y-axis, the other the X-axis, target in the center, pull the switch...

"Pax, are you listening? We just got orders-"

"Oh my god, Noah, if you ruin this for me!...", Pax near-yells, before Noah clams up with a massively irritated look on this face, as she sings at a whispered tone. "♪ If I told you once, I told you twice | ♪ You can beg, you can kneel, you can pray | ♪ You'll be sacrificed!"

BLAM.

Rolling Combat for a 6 and tagging Got That Rhythm for a total of 8 to strike at the angel with weapon: 4... at a cost.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Pax and Noah

"Aw, thought I could catch it napping.", Pax says as a tremendous shell casing crashes down into the water. Noah looks up, and then says, "Of course it's got an AT Field, but the way it's deflecting..." He folds his hands, resting his chin on them, and the calls up a comm link. "Hey, command, any way you could give us an angle correction on that last shot? Hang in there, Asagiri, we've got your back." Taking the comlink off, he adds, "Hurry up, Pax, she's in real trouble."

"Yessir, Commander Noah.", Pax says as she focuses once again. "Just don't pressure me, commander!" Noah takes in a breath sharply. "That's not funny."

A measly 1 to try and create the aspect A Solution to the Sniping Equation with Contacts.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Pax and Noah

Pax repeatedly pulls the trigger, the crane creaking loudly with the recoil, bending unsafely with each shot. Without the figures, she's just taking shots to try and keep up the pressure, as each shell crashing down on the docks and leaving a dramatic impact.

"I'm not getting anything from HQ.", Noah says, opening a channel again. "HQ, are you there?", he asks more bluntly. "We're going to need to stop playing with your toy soon, Pax." Squinting, she frowns, "I'm just letting them have their turn, I could make the shot!"

Trying to Create an Advantage with Combat for a total of 6, and add a Covering Fire aspect for others to tag.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Pax and Noah

Pax says, "One shot self.", as she chambers it. Noah looks over his shoulder. "You're not punching through the AT field... unless..." She blinks. "Oh, no, you're not going to play the hero, not after we went through-" She sighs and bows her head, realizing she's not getting through Noah's gaze. He turns around with a determined expression. "Just get ready to take the shot, Pax."

Then, Unit-02 starts forward, charging. "Noahhh, we don't even know if that thing's the core!", Pax calls back. He squints, shoving the controls forward as its footfalls shatter the dock. "If it isn't, then it'll at least be better off without that ugly thing!", he shouts, and then as Unit-02 gets close, they skid to a halt before bringing the weapon forward like a lance, trying to slam into the AT field with the end of the barrel. As they do so, Pax pulls the trigger, firing point blank at the stalk atop the Fifth Angel!

Got a Combat roll of 5, and invoking Production-Model Dual-Type Evangelion for free and spending 1 fate point to invoke Unstable Synchronization for a total of 9.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Pax and Noah

Looking to Dylan's predicament, Noah calls out, "Pax!", without further explanation, before she just replies with, "Got it!" Tossing the rifle aside carelessly, they leap up, and Eva-02 kicks out into Eva-03 in a flying kick, but their other foot kicks out at the angel, doing a midair split as they try and force Eva-03 away from the Angel! As they land, they try and shove Eva-03 further with their shoulder and a good dramatic shout, before turning to try and face the Angel in time...

Trying to make an advantage for Dylan with Athletics, using Per Ardua Ad Astra and a fate point to boost Athletics to 6, then rolling a total of 7. If successful, the aspect will be A Shove In The Right Direction.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Pax and Noah

Diving, Unit-03 splash into the water beneath the Angel, crashing to the ground as it spins over, reaching into its back pillar and drawing the knife in one smooth motion. With Pax making an overhand stab at the core from below, Noah brings its leg up as the knife catches, and then kicks the knife up with the Eva's heel. With an acrobatic push, it almost moves to a handstand position as they try and couple their own force with gravity in a dramatic impact!

Only got a 4 on the Combat roll with Weapon: 2, but let's tag There's the Core!, and spend 2 FP to also tag Experimental Parallel Pilots and 2 > 1, for a total of 10.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Pax and Noah
Fate Points: 2

"What the hell was that?", comes Pax's shout as she comes out of the insertion plug, looking over to Rabah. Noah comes after, catching Pax's shoulder only to be shrugged off. "I don't need anybody trying to take a bullet for me! We were fine!", she shouts at her twin, and then slugs him in the shoulder genuinely hard before going on. "I didn't ask to play hero!" He winces, quiet as she storms off.

Noah rubs his shoulder, walking up to Jenny as he lowers his voice. "What was that? We were completely in the dark out there!", he says softly, shooting a glance to the other command staff for a moment.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Pax and Noah
Fate Points: 2

Looking to Hannah, Pax narrows her eyes in a flash of pure anger, but her snarl shifts swiftly into a faux toothy grin. "Does Dr. Laboe know you're trying to take her job?", she says as she continues on past, putting on a breezy mask over her simmering tone as she heads for the changing area.

Speaking of Laboe, Noah stares with his good eye at her. "Well. I hope it was worth what happened out there.", he says with a tone of sarcastic skepticism. He looks over his shoulder, lowering his voice. "Look, I gotta go, Pax is going to be losing her poo poo after getting shot at like that. You guys need to get your act together and fast." With that, he starts off quickly, rubbing his temple as he marches off.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Pax and Noah

4:36 PM, Monday

"You need to stop blaming him.", Noah says, putting up his guard as Pax jabs in, striking his arms. A wince. The sparring was always hard, but she really wasn't holding back today. Circling around, he swung out with a kick as she ducked, coming in fast, but he slipped to the side in anticipation of her attack. "It isn't like before, they're not going to all turn on us. You know that, right?", Noah added. Pax fumed silently, coming up around with the knee before trying to bring down her elbow and a knife hand, though Noah anticipated it. It was always like this. They knew each other too well to easily gain the upper hand. "If you'd just apologize-"

But his focus was on other things, and she pulled out his feet with a sweep, getting Noah to the mat. She looked at him, her one eye wide as she balled her fists. "Shut up. I wish I didn't need you."

2:47 PM, Tuesday

"Don't have me see you back here.", Mr. O'Rourke spoke up as Noah looked over. "What, you're not gonna miss me?", Noah said as the teacher just shook his head, stepping out of the detention hall. It was a short walk to Bobby's locker, and they walked out of the school. "So, what do you want to do?", Bobby asked, and Noah shrugged. "I don't know... Harvard Square?", he said, looking up at the sky. Bobby folded his arms behind his heads. "Sure, we can go to Fire & Ice, maybe Newbury Comics..." Noah looked over. "Comics. Aren't those about people saving the world and stuff?" Bobby shrugged. "Actually mostly they sell music, but... what, you've never read one?" Noah laughed a little. "Nope. Maybe I can learn a thing or two."

4:11 PM, Wednesday

"Maybe I wouldn't have to wait for them if they weren't so slow!", Pax snapped back, looking up at Coach Hartley. "Look, I know-", Hartley started. "Oh yeah?", Pax snapped back. Rubbing her temple, Hartley stood up. "Okay. I don't know what you've been through. But this is a team game. You're one of our best players-" Pax just looked away, trying to focus her attention anywhere else. "- but if you keep this up, I going to have to let you go." Widening her eye, she looked back, surprised. "That's not-", she started, but then cut her words short. Hartley shrugged. "Look, work out whatever you're going through with the counselor, but keep it off the field, okay?"

7:01 PM, Thursday

"Jagr isn't home again.", Noah said, not looking up from the game on his phone. "Catharsis of the Soul?", he said with a frown. "Who comes up with these names?" Pax stopped at the doorway to the study, and looked over. "Only two guys outside tonight.", she said plainly, and looked over to Noah. "No.", he stated simply. "No, I know what you're thinking." She leaned on the table, smiling. "Fine, I'll go on my own." He frowned, furrowing his brow. "Oh, now you want me around? Give me a break."

"I'll be like when we snuck out, though! Just, you know, sneaking in!", she said with her smug cheer. "That was 16.", he said aloud. "You snuck out of the base with 16. I told you not to." Pax paused, thoughtful. "Huh. Well, same difference." Noah groaned into his phone, rolling his eye. "Who taught you that saying? It's awful." She shrugged, and sat down. "Look. We need to find out what's going on at NERV. Just in case." He sighed. "What can we do, even if we find out?" She shrugged. "We don't know until we know. C'mooon."

Noah set down his phone, aiming to leave it behind. "Fine. But we have to shake the guys they left outside first..."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Pax and Noah
FP: 2

Sitting on top of a stack of empty pallets, Noah looks down to Pax as she comes around the corner. "Looks like they've got all the entrances.", Pax says softly, and Noah hops down. "It'd be too much trouble if we both get caught.", he says softly, before adding, "I'll go, and you check the-" Pax frowns, jabbing him as she retorts, "No, you don't, this was my idea-" Noah spreads his hands, shaking his head, "That's why I can't let-" She makes a fist at him, and he sighs. "Fine."

Pumping their fists for a moment, Pax and Noah both reveal an index and middle finger - scissors and scissors. Then, again, fist meets fist - rock and rock. Then, finally, Noah's hand flattens while Pax's remains balled in a fist. "What, no way!", she proclaims in an frustrated whisper, and Noah looks over before clambering to the top of the pallets to reach the ceiling. "Don't worry, I'll go high, like Batman." Pax stares up, clearly annoyed. "You know Batman isn't real, right?" She sighs, looking around, and then makes her way in the other direction as he climbs atop the open duct work. Problem is, it's open, but maybe he can find some angle from here he's missing. "Dammit, Noah.", she mumbles, and then hurries off.

Actually going to see if I can split up with ... and Make It Double, having Noah take on the dangerous route while Pax goes off to try and find less troublesome avenues. I presume I'd just be making one Stealth roll for both, which is a 4, in any case. I'll invoke Uncertain Loyalties for a fate point, because this certainly embodies it, to bump it to a 6. Oh, and the result of the RPS match was actually randomized.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Pax and Noah
FP: 1

On the edge of the NERV compound, the two twins stand in the shadows. "They're messing around in my Eva?", Pax says in hushed exasperation. "Our eva.", Noah points out. "Oh, like you wanted to pilot it.", Pax points back. "It's not like I don't want to stop the Angels.", Noah says back, and then adds, "But they're just using us. Who's going to stop them?" Pax stares at him, arms folded, and then blows her bangs out of her face, pondering.

"Dr. Laboe.", Pax says, pointing over. "Oh yeah, she's a terrible counselor-", Noah replies. "- but she's the weakest link.", Pax adds, finishing his sentence. "They're going to be looking for us once they realize we're unobserved-", Noah points out. Pax nods, adding, "- but not wherever she's at. Her office?" Noah squints. "Her home. C'mon. And stop synching so hard."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Pax and Noah

Then.

"No cabs.", Noah says, not needing to state the subtext of them leaving their phones at home. Pax produces her phone, with Noah looking quickly alarmed. "Relax, I turned it off.", Pax says, and Noah frowns, pointing out, "You can't be sure it turns off." Pax rolls her eyes skeptically, and adds, "I wasn't going to use it, just... in case." Noah starts to walk. "C'mon, let's just get to the rail station."

Now

Pax and Noah look at Laboe, then at each other. They don't often exchange meaningful looks, surprisingly enough, but this is one of those times. "Dr. Laboe.", Noah starts. "What's going on?"

Then

Elevated rail had, at the very least, taken on a new importance after the Second Impact, but the two of them sit in a empty tram. Pax frowns. "You sure you couldn't have found out something more useful?", she says, looking out the window. Noah shrugs, quoting, "'Never develop a fixed idea about the item of intelligence you think you can obtain.', remember?" Pax hunches into her seat. "Oh my god, don't you dare quote Schragmüller at me." Noah smiles weakly, and reaches over to pat her on the shoulder. "Look, as long as Laboe has something, this isn't a bust."

Now

Pax does step in, looking around, and sniffs, taking in the state of affairs. Noah keeps his attention on the doctor, though. "We were worried about something, and you were the only one we could think of coming to."

Then

"James and Wilson are civvies, we can't suck them into this.", Noah says, looking to the surface of the powered-off phone as if trying to make sure there wasn't anything going on there. As if he could tell. "Iowa and Asagiri are project kids, like us. But who's project? Or projects?" Pax rests her chin on folded arms. "Asagiri is the worst." Noah squints, rebutting, "Is she?" Pax widens her eyes at him, lifting her chin to stare over, answering, "Yes." Noah shrugs, and adds, "Well, Iowa's mission-oriented, there's nothing we'll get out of her unless we can convince her the mission's at stake. Asagiri... well, both of them seem pretty washed." Pax stretches. "Well, Laboe's gotta know something, and if we make it look like we're gonna crack..." She trails off as Noah gets up, before calling out, "Hey- wait-"

Opening up the back door, Noah flings the phone out before meeting Pax's dumbfounded stare. "Hey, we're pilots. They'll get you a new one."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Pax and Noah

"Jagr's been away, and they're..." Noah looks to Pax, who interrupts with, "... they're messing with our Eva-02!" A slight sigh, and Noah says, "No offense, but we can't have any more... surprises like last time." Pax emphasizes, "Please, Dr. Laboe, you have to do something!" Walking over, Noah puts his hand on Pax's shoulder. "Well. I'm not sure there's anything she can do...? No offense, Doctor, but..." He looks away, pointing his unsaid words elsewhere.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Pax and Noah

Pax takes the walkie-talkie, putting the headphone over one ear. Noah squints. "Don't worry, we'll make it to the Eva." Pax beams, looking over in the dark. "Oh, hey, look at who's volunteering to pilot an Eva!", she chirps, as Noah sighs. "Not now, Pax."

He flicks on the light, but only momentarily to check his surroundings and follow. "Oh, doctor.", Pax says, moving after. "Make sure you keep the gun level, don't just point it at the ground.", she says, miming with her hands, which may be of limited usefulness in this lighting. "If you're planning to fire it, anyway, and not just try and scare people." Noah hisses. "She gets it, we need to keep quiet." Pax pouts, saying softly but sharply, "Well she ought to know!"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Pax and Noah

Folding her arms, Pax ponders, and then says, "What about the Eva launch pillars?" Noah stares at her, looking to Laboe in a "this is what I have to deal with" sort of look, and rubs a temple. "I- what, no, there are the launch gates and there's nothing to hang onto but the rails. That is just- that's worse than even the elevator idea."

Pax stares back. "Well, you come up with something!" He shrugs, answering lamely, "I guess we'll just... the ducts?" She suddenly brightens. "Wait, if we can get to the cargo monorail, we can just walk down the rail!" Noah blinks. "Huh. As long as the power doesn't come on, that'd be..." He looks to Laboe as if to get her input, but Pax adds, "... so we'd just have to move fast!"

Forgot to ask earlier - are we refreshing?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Pax and Noah

Hopping off, Pax leads as Noah follows after, holding the flashlight up and keeping it up for the moment. She comes to the door, looking thoughtful, and then Noah passes by. "Vent time.", he says softly, and she looks after mournfully. "Ugh. I hate vents." Noah looks back. "You used to crawl through them all the time!" Pax snaps back. "That doesn't mean I like it!... do you see one?"

Well, they don't have Burglary, so let's use a Fate Point and Per Ardua Ad Astra to bump it to +1 for this scene. That's a... 1. Probably not enough, but worth a shot.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Pax and Noah

Pax looks to Laboe. "No offense, but you'll probably just slow us down. And be noisy." Noah squints. "Pax..." The girl shrugs. "I'm just saying she doesn't have much ops experience!" The boy sighs. "You don't have much ops experience either!" The girl rolls her eyes. "I probably have more than her!" Finally, he looks over to Laboe, saying sheepishly, "Sorry. You should see if you can meet up with the other command staff, though. We know our way to the Eva."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Pax and Noah

"The first time you got out, I was proud of you. The second time you got out through a vent, I was concerned. The third time, I've decided to teach you a lesson." Pax trudged along after, being walked back to the complex by a guard. The security officer squinted down at her. "So. Stay outside." The guard shoved her, and she fell back into the mud. "What?", she said, not comprehending. "You'll be left out here until I've decided you've learned your lesson. The white coats won't be happy, but you wanted the outside world? Enjoy it. There's nowhere to go on this island, after all." Pax's eyes widened. "Wait, wait-", before the guard just leveled a gun at her as the officer stepped though the fence door. "Oh, now you want in? Too late." The fence door slammed, and Pax rose up, staring in disbelief.

They wouldn't let her starve out here, right?

Pax makes a face as she moves through the ducts, the sort of face one gets usually only gets after eating a bug or other extreme examples of distaste. Shining the flashlight down, she sighs as she swings her legs around, thumping the inside of the vent before becoming scissored as she looks down into the shaft. "Ummmm...", she starts, squinting. "I think we have to go back." Noah stops, and pauses. "What's wrong?" Pax flicks the flashlight. "I can't see the bottom. I think we have to go back." Lying in the darkness, he says, "We're not going back, Pax. Everybody needs us." She frowns, near-shouting. "Well, I don't want to!"

Taking a deep breath, Noah says, "Look around. There has to be some way for them to access the fans to service them, right? A ladder or a hatch or... something..." Pax frowns. "I wish you were in front so I could push you so hard right now.", she replies as she shines the light around the ventilation shaft.

Making a Notice check to try and create and advantage: a ladder, a service gangway, access hatches, whichever. Result is a 5.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Pax and Noah

Spotting the elevator track, Pax reaches out for it, taking hold. As she reaches out with her leg, Noah comes forward, taking her free hand and bracing her. Taking up the flashlight in her mouth, she moves free to grip the track... and then a phone rings. There's a moment where she slips an inch as she tenses, and then looks to Noah. Noah puts down his hat in the vent before hanging out of the vent, swinging over to reach over to take up the phone, letting it ring for a moment before he takes the flashlight as well. Hanging upside-down, he puts the phone to his ear, listening.

Jenny, on her end, likely hears the white noise that is wind on a radio line, which gets louder and louder, becoming a sort of whistle before the line just cuts when the radio hits the bottom of the shaft.

Looking to Pax, Noah lets his now-empty hand hang after dropping the comm. She looks to him, and then she just starts moving as he tucks the flashlight in his belt to swing over and get a grip with his hands. Reaching up, Pax braces his foot for a moment, and then they start moving downward, focusing on the long task ahead of them. Meanwhile, Noah's hat remains in the ventilation shaft, and he looks to it, but tries to shut out all distractions as he moves after.

Let's see. First, let's call the aspect they have for making this extremely difficult climb A Promising Gap. Secondly, I'd like to call a self-compel on Uncertain Loyalties to cut off that communication when suspicions are highest it a dramatic way, I may. And then an Athletics overcome seems to be in order. That's a 4, but I'll invoke A Promising Gap for free twice (presuming a success with style on the Create Advantage result, above), and a fate point to invoke 2 > 1 for their cooperation to bump it to 10.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 27, 2015

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Pax and Noah

Pax wrings her hands as Noah crouches near the communicator. "They're going to have a hard time catching up now.", he says. She squints, saying, "We're going to be in a lot of trouble when they do..." He looks over. "Hey, you want to make sure the Eva's safe, right?" She looks sheepish, falling quiet. "C'mon, let's see what's going on at the platforms.", he adds, looking down the side shaft cautiously before he starts down it.

Just wanted to push things along, so I gave a really hard shove! Also the mysterious Notice check is a 4.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Pax and Noah

Pax was helped into the room roughly before collapsing. She looked weak, having bled from a split lip, but just mumbled, looking confused. The children looked amongst each other, but it was Noah that stepped forward. "She's sick, we have to do something." Voices echoed around him. "Shouldn't we wait for the white-coats?" "I don't want to get near her if she's sick..." "She's been punished for what she did, hasn't she?"

Noah reached up to try and pull her up, and she focused on him dimly. "Water. She needs water.", he said, in slight disbelief. None of them had been treated like this before. Anger began to come up. "Don't just stand there! Get me some water!"

Noah froze as he heard the sound of the gun. Was somebody trying to fool them? Well, if they had a gun, all he could do is buy time-

"Honi soit qui mal y pense.", Pax speaks aloud. Shame be to him who thinks evil of it. She looks to Noah. Though they're part of the project, they're hardly in uniform or in their plug suits. If the shooting starts, one of them takes a bullet. The other takes the gun. Or, at least, that's how the theory goes. When there were thirty of them, some notion of sacrifice was presumed in their training. Now that there are two of them, some hesitation has crept in.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Pax and Noah

"Shouldn't we get suited up, first?", Noah asks, squinting at the light. He looks away from Pax, who puts her hand to her brow to try and block out the light and get a better view. "They shouldn't be far." Pax leans in towards the nearby soldier, seeing what she can make out of a face behind the helmet. "... ma'am.", he concludes, saluting. Pax pauses, looking over, and then wobbles to a salute in belated realization.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Pax and Noah

"You already have the launch platforms and central control...?", he says, looking towards the direction of the voice. They'd already have to prepared the plugs, then. Of course, it has to be one of their entry plugs, but that should be obvious enough. Pax pokes at the soldier's faceplate once, and then starts after. "So you've figured out how to fake an angel attack in the system, then?" It's a fair point to make. "MAGI won't allow an armed Eva launch without it." Looking up, Pax squints. "Really?" Noah looks over to her, and she adds quickly, "Oh, right!"

It sounds plausible. Ish.

Well, only got a 1 to create an advantage with Deceit ("Plausible Uncertainties"), but going to invoke Uncertain Loyalties to increase it to 3, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Pax and Noah

Flinching, Pax is quiet for a long moment as she looks over, and winces in empathetic pain. It's not necessarily the psychic link of fiction, but the shock is similar enough. She looks to Noah as he drops to a crouch, holding onto his leg as it leaks blood. Or whatever resembles a leg. Taking a breath, she says, "It's- it's going to be a lot harder now that you shot my leg-dominant copilot in the leg." Fingering her eyepatch self-consciously, "We haven't even tested single-pilot startup and launch." No deception there, she's being perfectly honest. In theory, it might work. "The plug is ready and flushed?"

Noah looks up to Pax, and tries to force himself up before crashing to the floor. There's a moment as he mumbles, "Sorry, Pax." She leans over towards him, and shakes her head. "Don't worry, I'll take care of everything this time. You just stay here."

Noah defends with Physique with a 1. So, you wanted bad rolls?

• Locked thread