Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
50s girl groupon
Jul 17, 2010

I woke up like this

DOMDOM posted:

Yup - kinda hard. I have the office high score with an 83. gently caress workers comp and disability. I wouldn't sweat it though.

how the hell do you deal with this heat on the street?

I'm getting conflicting information in my course, one part says I'll get my results in a week and one says the same day. Which was right for you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

50s girl groupon
Jul 17, 2010

I woke up like this
Tonight's the last night I have to deal with night time thunderstorms for 8 days. I can't wait.

clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005

Unexpected Road posted:

I'm getting conflicting information in my course, one part says I'll get my results in a week and one says the same day. Which was right for you?

It sounds like you may be taking the series 7 due to the 6 hour remark. If so, you find it out about 10 (AGONIZING!) seconds.

Good luck on the tests. I'm not sure if you want to stay in Florida, but if you can pass those tests you should consider the Midwest if you are not interested in the sales side. I live in omaha and we have the HQs for a couple of large broker dealers for back office support. All these places are always hiring for entry level positions, but if you are even somewhat intelligent you can move up pretty quickly. Also, Des Moines Iowa has the HQs of large insurance companies there so ditto what I said above. I could not imagine being homeless here in the winter, but you would have a good 5 months or so. If interested I would be willing to buy you a bus ticket to either town. I couldn't help out more than that, like actually offer a job, but I could all but guarantee you could get hired.

bike appreciator
Mar 19, 2011

I shot you some money, I hope it's of some use to you. I can't imagine being in the same position and you have the best attitude about it. Good luck!

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k

something clever posted:

It sounds like you may be taking the series 7 due to the 6 hour remark. If so, you find it out about 10 (AGONIZING!) seconds.

Good luck on the tests. I'm not sure if you want to stay in Florida, but if you can pass those tests you should consider the Midwest if you are not interested in the sales side. I live in omaha and we have the HQs for a couple of large broker dealers for back office support. All these places are always hiring for entry level positions, but if you are even somewhat intelligent you can move up pretty quickly. Also, Des Moines Iowa has the HQs of large insurance companies there so ditto what I said above. I could not imagine being homeless here in the winter, but you would have a good 5 months or so. If interested I would be willing to buy you a bus ticket to either town. I couldn't help out more than that, like actually offer a job, but I could all but guarantee you could get hired.

Des Moines's not too bad. I grew up there and almost everyone I went to high school with works at one of the insurance companies in town.

OP do you have some weird attachment to Florida? Cos almost anywhere is better than there. Almost.

50s girl groupon
Jul 17, 2010

I woke up like this

artichoke posted:

Des Moines's not too bad. I grew up there and almost everyone I went to high school with works at one of the insurance companies in town.

OP do you have some weird attachment to Florida? Cos almost anywhere is better than there. Almost.

I have absolutely zero attachment to Florida. Family moved here when I was little from Georgia and I haven't been able to escape, yet.

Once I pass this exam on the 28th, something clever, I'd like to talk more about opportunities elsewhere, but I want to be able to move on my own and be independent :)

Pulling an all nighter tonight to finish studying and filling out more applications when I need a break.

50s girl groupon
Jul 17, 2010

I woke up like this

something clever posted:

I don't know why but this makes me more anxious than when I thought I had a week's wait. :ohdear: I've got a low A average on my course, my biggest problem is remembering the little differences in the different types of life insurance. Right now I'm studying/being quizzed on florida statutes and what "twisting" and "churning" means and all the different ways you can get in trouble for being a jack rear end. It's pretty much common sense.

I found out earlier that if I pass this exam and get my license I will be the first in my town to successfully go through the transitions adult education program that wasn't for a ged

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

artichoke posted:

I live in Des Moines, this place is the poo poo. Cost of living's cheap, there's plenty to do, and the food is great.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..

Unexpected Road posted:

Once I pass this exam on the 28th, something clever, I'd like to talk more about opportunities elsewhere, but I want to be able to move on my own and be independent :)

I most certainly do not intend to tell you how to live your life, and I get the above for sure, buuuuuuuuuut there's pride and then there's getting the gently caress out of shitass western Florida when someone offers to buy your a drat bus ticket to somewhere you're really likely to get a job. You don't have to be tough to impress anybody when good things happen, you've already impressed a ton of people here by virtue of being a homeless person who is able to write in full sentences. You seem cool, friend, take what's offered you.

50s girl groupon
Jul 17, 2010

I woke up like this
Drive by update!

I officially finished my course last night, took the simulation exam at 1 am and finished in 1/3 of the time it should have taken me, and I passed! :D I've got a day buss pass to Sarasota, where my exam is going to be, and I'll be able to sleep in a REAL bed tonight so I can be at my best tomorrow.

Hope everyone in e/n is having a good Wednesday!

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

silvergoose posted:

That's kinda rude. Aziz was a goon in d and d that asked for donations, he was a gay Muslim in some middle Eastern country I think? But then there was tons of drama, and maybe he didn't actually need that money.

He was another LGBTQ homeless person with a mysteriously good internet connection that got over 3k before running off

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Unexpected Road posted:

Drive by update!

I officially finished my course last night, took the simulation exam at 1 am and finished in 1/3 of the time it should have taken me, and I passed! :D I've got a day buss pass to Sarasota, where my exam is going to be, and I'll be able to sleep in a REAL bed tonight so I can be at my best tomorrow.

Long time reader, first time poster.

Good luck tomorrow! Keep a cool head and I'm sure you'll do fine.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
Good luck, OP! I'm rooting for you. :)

clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005

Unexpected Road posted:

Drive by update!

That time and your previous grades should easily reflect to a passing grade. I am glad that you will be able to get a real bed before this test. Good luck and be sure to let us know how you do!

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Two feel good threads in a month. Good luck op but you seem to be on the right road.

50s girl groupon
Jul 17, 2010

I woke up like this
Thanks guys! Since I'm in sarasota, and I don't know the area well as far as safe places--and the shelter curfew is 9pm--I won't be able to update as much. Thank you for all of the encouragement!! I'm going to be studying the rest of the night but I have a good feeling about tomorrow :D

I'll update as I can!

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
This is totally the Anti-E/N thread. OP, your positive attitude under your very tough circumstances is inspiring as hell. Sometimes I can turn into a whiny baby when the barista gets my order wrong, for god's sake -- I would probably loving crumple if I were in your shoes. :) The next adversity I face, I'll think of you and try to emulate your resilience.

Good luck on your exam; it sounds like you'll ace it.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

He was another LGBTQ homeless person with a mysteriously good internet connection that got over 3k before running off

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

I Want To Believe

Besides, Retail Slave came in here and vouched for him.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Never trust anyone who works in retail: their memes are the worst.

50s girl groupon
Jul 17, 2010

I woke up like this
I never knew anything about Brother Aziz :( the only time I've ever been in d&d was to lurk the political cartoon thread until it got too stressful (God drat you Muir).

Lots of places have free wifi, in the immediate area where I Publix, Target (guest wifi), dunkin donuts, starbucks, McDonald's, Burger King. There was the library downtown near the manatee river. I'm sitting outside of a whole foods in sarasota, about to pack up and head to the shelter for curfew, but there's a starbucks and a library near me with wifi. I'm willing to me Noisycat & husband about a seasonal job once this exam stuff is over. I understand this is a "please take my word for it" kind of thing but I promise you I'm not lying about my situation.

I honestly did not make this thread with any intention other than to just have somewhere to vent and to be able to talk to people. I love Deshaun and Edna but I just want to be able to talk with people that aren't also homeless you know? It gets rough trying to even just say hi to someone and they do that immediate look-away-"sorry I don't have any money" thing. I'm not asking for your change dude, I just--as selfish as this sounds to me--want to be acknowledged I guess, because it's easy to feel like you don't exist as a person anymore but rather a thing. Like an eyesore.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

Unexpected Road posted:

I never knew anything about Brother Aziz :( the only time I've ever been in d&d was to lurk the political cartoon thread until it got too stressful (God drat you Muir).

Lots of places have free wifi, in the immediate area where I Publix, Target (guest wifi), dunkin donuts, starbucks, McDonald's, Burger King. There was the library downtown near the manatee river. I'm sitting outside of a whole foods in sarasota, about to pack up and head to the shelter for curfew, but there's a starbucks and a library near me with wifi. I'm willing to me Noisycat & husband about a seasonal job once this exam stuff is over. I understand this is a "please take my word for it" kind of thing but I promise you I'm not lying about my situation.

I honestly did not make this thread with any intention other than to just have somewhere to vent and to be able to talk to people. I love Deshaun and Edna but I just want to be able to talk with people that aren't also homeless you know? It gets rough trying to even just say hi to someone and they do that immediate look-away-"sorry I don't have any money" thing. I'm not asking for your change dude, I just--as selfish as this sounds to me--want to be acknowledged I guess, because it's easy to feel like you don't exist as a person anymore but rather a thing. Like an eyesore.

well then congratulations for reaching the age of 26(?) with absolutely zero marketable skills well done

50s girl groupon
Jul 17, 2010

I woke up like this
Hit submit before I finished..

I meant to add that I'm not going to run off or disappear either :( i wouldn't have made it through this week emotionally with the encouragement I got. I owe everyone here so much.

50s girl groupon
Jul 17, 2010

I woke up like this

corn in the fridge posted:

well then congratulations for reaching the age of 26(?) with absolutely zero marketable skills well done

You're right I did make it to my twenties without any real vocational skills and being a college drop out. I thought I was more invincible than what I was, and as a direct result of that I'm in the situation I am in, which is exactly why I went through this course to get my license to have skills and to have the opportunity to get a real job and not let this ever happen again.

This is the absolute best example of why people shouldn't gently caress around in school and actually finish their degree or go to a vocational school and get something useful.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Unexpected Road posted:

You're right I did make it to my twenties without any real vocational skills and being a college drop out. I thought I was more invincible than what I was, and as a direct result of that I'm in the situation I am in, which is exactly why I went through this course to get my license to have skills and to have the opportunity to get a real job and not let this ever happen again.

This is the absolute best example of why people shouldn't gently caress around in school and actually finish their degree or go to a vocational school and get something useful.

Eh, I completed my degree with zero marketable skills. I was just lucky enough to live in a country with a social safety net so I had a roof over my head until I sorted my poo poo out. You didn't do any thing wrong that millions over other people don't also do.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Shut up they are preparing for a test that will make them marketable.

And confirming that OP didn't come in asking for money and didn't even ask me to give them permission. This is a happy and nice thread for nice people.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Careful you're going to cut yourself on all that edge

50s girl groupon
Jul 17, 2010

I woke up like this
It's lights out at the shelter at 11 but I wanted to write this down really quickly, more for myself to look back at when I get discouraged.

I got to the shelter on the last bus heading that way for the night :( I don't know this town well, so I got lucky there. Got settled in, made arrangements to have my laptop locked up tonight and tomorrow during my exam. I have to turn it in to them in 20 minutes.

I wanted to study, I had my lovely dog-eared composition book of notes but I couldn't focus on anything I was reading because my nerves are so shot. It's like all the exhaustion and anxiety of the past five months hit all at once and I just wanted to cry. One of the shelter workers came by and just started chatting with me and bless her loving soul, offered to help me review my notes for my exam for a bit. I probably bored her to death explaining HMOs and Medicare and Annually Renewable Life policies but she listened and asked me questions to help me prove to myself that I do in fact know my material and that I am probably going to be fine tomorrow. loving bless you Katherine you perfect person.

I have a lovely, lumpy cot but its MY lovely, lumpy cot for tonight and I'm gonna sleep so hard. Tomorrow I'll probably have another anxiety attack but for right now, everything is going pretty okay. I have a copy of my course completion certificate folded up in my notes book and as dumb as this sounds, I am so flipping proud of it. I asked to have a second copy printed so I could hold on to it for myself, as a kind of "look at what I have accomplished despite everything, I can't give up yet."

Good night e/n! Hopefully (fingers crossed!) I will be updating to say that I passed my exam tomorrow afternoon!! It starts at 10 am, and I am finally honestly feeling more excited than apprehensive about it. Thank you all again for the encouragement so far :D

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
All I want is a kind word, a warm bed, and UNLIMITED POWER.
You can do it!

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Unexpected Road posted:

Good night e/n! Hopefully (fingers crossed!) I will be updating to say that I passed my exam tomorrow afternoon!! It starts at 10 am, and I am finally honestly feeling more excited than apprehensive about it. Thank you all again for the encouragement so far :D

Good luck.

I'm an insurance guy myself - not from Florida but I know one or two people who are down there. I'll see if I can re-connect and pass along an introduction.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Good luck, Road!

death sext
Nov 4, 2011

Holy moly you are an inspiration.

Good luck!

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
Good luck!

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Best of luck!

You've got this.

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k
I'll be thinking about you tomorrow! Best of luck, buddy.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

As a fellow Florida dude that's testing tomorrow, best of luck! You certainly studied harder than I did :v:

Noisycat
Jul 6, 2003

If you give a mouse a cookie, you are supporting underground furry terrorists.
Good luck!

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Good luck! Everyone is pulling for you! You're dedicated to this, you'll do well!

I liked how Katherine sat with and listened to you. You say this insurance stuff is boring, but I bet you made it sound interesting, which I figure is the key to explaining it to the layman.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
Good luck! I sent you something to cover a nice dinner for when you're done the exam. Keep us updated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Don't worry, death is certain.

• Locked thread