Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eulogistics
Aug 30, 2012
I may be late to this particular party, but maybe other people can get some inspiration from my view of things like this:

Life has the meaning that you give it. If you want to feel that you are living life to the fullest or alternatively not feel like you're a failure, you just have to redefine what your life is about. I'm not sure precisely what your issue is because I'm mildly emotionally retarded myself and almost incapable of empathy, but you may feel like a failure because you're being med boarded from your service. You may feel that way because, even if it's unconcsious, you don't feel like being involuntarily seperated is honorable, or you may begrudge whatever condition is afflicting you that is causing you to be seperated because it's implied that you are inferior to healthy individuals.

There are lots of people every day who find themselves in a similar situation (from something as severe as becoming significantly disabled, to something as pedestrian as realizing maybe they're not smart enough or tough enough to work in a field they'd always dreamed of working in); I'm thinking specifically of a book I had to read freshman year about a college baseball player or something who gets in a drunk driving accident and wakes up paralyzed from the waist down. The common denominator for individuals who overcome these setbacks are that they find a new purpose for their lives; in the above book (which I apologize for not being able to remember the title of), the guy picks up wheelchair basketball or something and learns to love it, and eventually he finds a girlfriend that loves him and everyone lives happily ever after and poo poo.

While your own personal repurposing may not be as simple as his, you need to understand that this world is loving huge and full of stuff to do and see. Instead of thinking about how you're failing to live up to your own expectations or what doors have been closed to you (you probably won't be able to get back into the military, for instance), try instead to think about the doors that have been opened to you: you're not stuck doing however many years in the retard machine of the military to start drawing money from it, and the combination of that money (after going through a process akin to pulling teeth) and your education benefits basically mean you can take your time figuring out what your next step is for yourself. gently caress around, take odd jobs, try out competitive video games, learn a new language, travel, go back to school, poo poo post about issues you feel passionately about in D&D or GBS; just live for a while and see if anything strikes your fancy, then maybe you'll decide one of those things is something you could see yourself doing. Someday, you'll be able to look back on dark times like this and give motivational speeches to people in similar situations to the one you're in.

Again, I realize I'm late, but I hope you feel better, bro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eulogistics
Aug 30, 2012
No sir. I gotta use the words to communicate complex and meaningful ideas. Also, this isn't the drunk thread, though it may qualify as "a drunk thread".

• Locked thread