Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So, from this day forth, Cassandra Cain is known as...ORPHAN!

Because that's better than Blackbat, apparently.

Between that and the lovely new costume they're really not doing her any favours, are they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Picklepuss posted:

They can't decide what color the bat-belt is, can they?

I think the idea was the belt was supposed to be all gold but colored black with gold edges to show it was in shadow. Some of the colorists misunderstood and are doing the black w/gold in "fully lit" shots.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Yvonmukluk posted:

So, from this day forth, Cassandra Cain is known as...ORPHAN!

Because that's better than Blackbat, apparently.

Between that and the lovely new costume they're really not doing her any favours, are they?

are you serious

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

hiddenriverninja posted:

are you serious

It's in the final B&RE issue out today and her identity going into Detective Comics.

Without actually seeing it in action, I don't think I wanna see her in the gimp mask rather than just open faced like she's been in Eternal.

Harper leaving for her home planet is BS :mad:

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 30, 2016

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'm not sure what the point of all this Harper Row buildup was if she's just going to be sent off on a bus and just pop up every now and then, I guess.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
I hope the point of this is that Harper goes back to being Batman's Harold like she was originally supposed to because I think she functions much better in that kind of role then another vigilante in an already crowded city.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's in the final B&RE issue out today and her identity going into Detective Comics.

Without actually seeing it in action, I don't think I wanna see her in the gimp mask rather than just open faced like she's been in Eternal.

I assume she is going to show up in All Star

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Teenage Fansub posted:

The only bright spot on the clusterfuck that B&R Eternal was.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I still can't believe they didn't give Cass a red bat symbol for a mask after she drew one on her face in blood. That issue ruled. Could have just called herself Cain honestly.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Travis343 posted:

I still can't believe they didn't give Cass a red bat symbol for a mask after she drew one on her face in blood. That issue ruled. Could have just called herself Cain honestly.

And yet she doesn't have single Bat AT ALL on her costume.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Yvonmukluk posted:

And yet she doesn't have single Bat AT ALL on her costume.

You do know that is not her costume right? Based off Detective Comics Rebirth she has a gimp mask and it looks like a bat

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

bobkatt013 posted:

You do know that is not her costume right? Based off Detective Comics Rebirth she has a gimp mask and it looks like a bat

No ears, no bat :colbert:

edit: no cape :colbert:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

hiddenriverninja posted:

No ears, no bat :colbert:

edit: no cape :colbert:

Her original costume did not have ears or a cape. Based off the art we can not see if there is a bat in the front.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm starting to get pretty pumped for All-Star BMan
https://twitter.com/tulalotay/status/721293659581325312

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

It's been a hot minute since Batman related was posted in this thread. With Snyder's 51 issue of Batman out, why not have a discussion over your favorite Batman villain, including any particular era of comics, or writer that wrote him/her.

For me I've had a soft spot for Two-Face as my favorite villain. Harvey's story is loving tragic, a good man driven to insanity by acid to the face, although I do like some interpretations that already hinted at dual personalities and the Maroni incident was just the thing to push him over. Even in the animated series you have it hinted over like a half season that he's losing it. And even when he does lose it he STILL somehow in his own duality obsessed mind try and bring some order to Gotham. Less Joker more Two-Face, and throw One-Face into a dumpster.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Well, All-Star is opening with a Batman/Two-Face team-up road trip or something. I'm looking forward to that.
Apparently it'll address him seemingly committing suicide last we saw him in B&R.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I love Two-Face. My favorite villains are probably Scarecrow and the Riddler. Both of them challenge Batman in things he's usually very confident in - being the scariest guy in the room and the smartest, respectively. Riddler was used really well in Zero Year, he works with Snyder's "puppet master" style of antagonist that seems to be in every one of his stories.

Hasn't been a good Scarecrow story in a while. Arkham Knight was pretty good but I don't know how much the character really felt like the Scarecrow to me.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Speaking of Arkham Knight and villains, has that version of The Joker (as just a figment of Bats' imagination) been done before? It felt like a fresh twist on really overused character.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

He was recently a figment in amnesiac Bruce's mind in Snyder's Batman.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

It is my considered opinion that Black Mask is the best batvillain who did not appear in BTAS. Please agree/disagree, and offer alternative candidates if you're feeling peppy.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Squizzle posted:

It is my considered opinion that Black Mask is the best batvillain who did not appear in BTAS. Please agree/disagree, and offer alternative candidates if you're feeling peppy.

I want to disagree, just because I don't think Black Mask is a very good character at all, but he's probably the biggest name that never made it on the show. If characters who didn't exist when BTAS was on the air count I would say Dr. Hurt.

KGBeast maybe, or Deacon Blackfire if he counts, being a one-off villain.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Squizzle posted:

Nocturna, yo. She almost made it in!

redbackground fucked around with this message at 13:59 on May 4, 2016

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Teenage Fansub posted:

Shows what I get for reading in trade.

I liked it because too often Joker stories revolve around some complex scheme relying on his near-omniscience, plus frequently he's just not funny enough. Making him a disembodied black comedy routine cuts away all the extraneous stuff, leaving the core of the character to play with.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Squizzle posted:

Anarky would have been a great BTAS villain.

He would have perfectly fit in with the show's mature, nuanced plot. Have a philosophical debate as he fights Batman (ala Ra's Al Ghul or Red Claw) and end it with the "shock" reveal that all this time the villain was a teenage boy in disguise.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

The Question IRL posted:

Anarky would have been a great BTAS villain.

He would have perfectly fit in with the show's mature, nuanced plot. Have a philosophical debate as he fights Batman (ala Ra's Al Ghul or Red Claw) and end it with the "shock" reveal that all this time the villain was a teenage boy in disguise.

He did get included in the comic extenstion of the BTAS universe, at least:

(his only appearance!)

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

redbackground posted:

He did get included in the comic extenstion of the BTAS universe, at least:

(his only appearance!)

And in that issue, Robin knows who he is and that he's just a kid, even though he was never on the cartoon or in a previous issue. Sort of like mullet superman, they let normal DC continuity bleed over from time to time.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Black Mask also appeared in those comics, along with Eel O'Brien and the False Face Society. It wasn't particularly memorable and the design they went with was kinda lame, but he worked well as a character that straddles the line between supervillain and regular old gangster.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/TomKingTK/status/730032802498945024

e:
https://twitter.com/Ssnyder1835/status/729724273930207233

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:14 on May 11, 2016

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
I read Batman for the homoeroticism, glad DC knows what's up

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Tony Harris variant. Humina humina.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Heck yeah that's a good cover.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

This video shows off some art and details from Batman #1.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_irwmzg31w
The new Batmobile looks amazing. Very Animated Series. MUCH better than the one Capullo left on his last issue.

So boxy!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jun 2, 2016

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

Wait you're talking about the seemingly amnesiac Joker that Bruce meets in the park, right? When did they show that he was a figment?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

In #48 after he's trying to convince Bruce to give up the old memories that are creeping back and live his new life, an explosion goes off and Bruce runs towards the Mr Bloom fight, then turns back and there's no one behind him.

e: I guess it's possible that he was literal and scampered away since they didn't explicitly state that he didn't exist, but based on the conversation I think it's most likely he was a manifestation of Bruce's mind fighting itself.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jun 3, 2016

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

In #48 after he's trying to convince Bruce to give up the old memories that are creeping back and live his new life, an explosion goes off and Bruce runs towards the Mr Bloom fight, then turns back and there's no one behind him.

e: I guess it's possible that he was literal and scampered away since they didn't explicitly state that he didn't exist, but based on the conversation I think it's most likely he was a manifestation of Bruce's mind fighting itself.

In the last issue of his fun they showed him again as if he was real

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Looking at that again, it's the only thing that Batman's not there observing.

e: I mean, it's designed ambiguous at least. I found #48 interview asking if he was real and Snyder just said something like "That's the thing with Joker, man. You don't know!"
But him puffing away the moment Bruce runs off to accept who he is, is pretty explicit to me.

ee: Not that Bench Joker probably has anything to do with the narrative presented in Rebirth, so, eh.

Norns posted:

Well, with three jokers around, odds are pretty high it was real.

Not saying that Joker's goop didn't bring him back and is multiplying him like a mogwai for Rebirth, just that the conversation on the bench was likely just Bruce.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jun 3, 2016

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Well, with three jokers around, odds are pretty high it was real.

Also, that new Batmobile is dope.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

That is a really loving cool Burton / TAS-inspired Batmobile.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Teenage Fansub posted:

Looking at that again, it's the only thing that Batman's not there observing.

e: I mean, it's designed ambiguous at least. I found #48 interview asking if he was real and Snyder just said something like "That's the thing with Joker, man. You don't know!"
But him puffing away the moment Bruce runs off to accept who he is, is pretty explicit to me.

ee: Not that Bench Joker probably has anything to do with the narrative presented in Rebirth, so, eh.

Not saying that Joker's goop didn't bring him back and is multiplying him like a mogwai for Rebirth, just that the conversation on the bench was likely just Bruce.

In the bottle issue of Synder's run where Gotham is hit by a blackout and Batman is convinced that this is the start of an assault by some supervillian only to discover....It was just a black out. And peace broke out and stuff.

But during that issue you do see the "cured" Joker sitting on the park bench.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That's what my first line was referring to. You see Batman snooping in on everyone else.

e: Anaaaanyway, whether #51 proves it or not, the encounter was absolutely designed to make you question whether the literal Joker was there to halt his way back to Batman, or his own brain was.
"Suicide is an option, huh?"
"Wait the city is in trouble! I'm instinctively running to be a hero!"
"Oh look. The voice of doubt vanished."

ee: Literal's fine too, since it means he probably infested those fish with parasites himself just to give Bruce a handy metaphor. That's pretty good.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jun 3, 2016

• Locked thread