Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Bible
May 8, 2010

I like how you can gently caress up as bad as you want and then avoid all responsibility for your own mistakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bible
May 8, 2010

This is a normal precaution normal families take all the time. Normal.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

I never thought I'd see Robert loving Jeffress arguing that we should just let people make their own life choices in privacy and that other peoples' lifestyles are simply none of our business.

I wonder if he even gets the irony of him having said that against all the poo poo he's done to take away gay rights.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

mdm posted:

the vocal political position that trannies gonna rape or something stupid

But they're such humble and non-judgmental Christians.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Are we still taking the obvious troll seriously?

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Whiskey Sours posted:

I don't think anyone is taking anything seriously.

Bob Bob

The Bible
May 8, 2010

XMNN posted:

i feel like if youre putting more effort into your trolling than people are into responding youve lost

No, he wins. Not everyone thinks he's a troll, some people think he's genuinely stupid. :smug:

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Ringo Star Get posted:

Honey I Blew Out My Vagina

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Commie NedFlanders posted:

actually forgiveness is a wonderful way to deal with things what would you rather them do? post a thread about it?

Jim

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Shnag posted:

Commie nedflanders, while trolling, is really doing a net positive service. He does a solid job portraying a far right fundie view point. Start off by having a vague idea of whats going on, and then choose the most positive possible view point and go with it. " Sure he touched his sister over her clothes, she was his age and they (implying it was mutual} were just experimenting! It happened only once! and he apologized! (once, and nothing happened after that) Its all a liberal attack!" From that point you have to slowly point out each and every single part of the conversation he got wrong, as if you just info dumped him everything that actually happened, he could smuggly say you have an agenda, or think to much about it. And even after you very slowly point every single aspect of the case, a fundie could always say "Jesus forgives!" . And apparently any and all criticism is forfeit at that point. So really, if anyone is defending the duggers in any sense of the word, its best just to ignore them, and there is quite literally nothing to sway them from their view point, and considering the starting point is incestuous underage molestation, that is saying alot.

You see, if you molest your sister, and she later says that it is ok, then it is ok.

Pay no attention to the domineering cult watching and orchestrating her every move.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Blue Train posted:

incestuous molestation seen as wrong: only by a LIEBRUHL

No, you see, she didn't even know he did it. And she said it was ok. And Jesus forgives it, even though he wasn't the one who got Duggared.

This all makes it ok.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

platedlizard posted:

The Bible's pretty ok with incest

:jewish:

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Hey now, that's mostly the early Bible when there were only like a Duggars worth of folks on the planet. there weren't much in the way of choices in the Garden, or after God woke up on the wrong side of the bed and wiped out everyone.

A modern understanding of genetics and the effects of inbreeding kind of kills that argument, of course.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Pvt.Scott posted:

I thought Lot's daughters were under the impression that the world had been destroyed. Getting their dad blind drunk and loving him was an act of desperate species preservation.

Soddom and Gammorah were destroyed due to violating the sacred code of hospitality, not because of kinky sex poo poo. That's why Lot was considered righteous when he offered his daughters to the mob outside his house. He was willing to sacrifice his own kin to protect the men (secretly angels) that the townspeople wanted to beat, rape and murder for being foreigners. Hospitality was serious business back in the day.

Except to women, it seems.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Robotnik Nudes posted:

That's a pretty retarded way to look at a mythology book written thousands of years ago.

Not as retarded as reading it as a history book.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Young Freud posted:

Wouldn't you? I mean, those angels probably looked like androgynous and abnormally beautiful, while everyone probably had lesions, missing teeth, crap-covered feet, and dirty beards. And then there's the men of Sodom and Gomorrah.

I don't know. Biblical descriptions of angels are always some monstrous, hosed-up poo poo. Like, multiple faces, eyeballs covering the entire body, wheels, poo poo like that.

Sodomites liked it hosed up.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Wulfolme posted:

That's only the high tiers that never come down and interact with humans. Angels and archangels are boring and human shaped. Seraphim are the seven winged orb of light and eyeballs motherfuckers, and they never leave GOD's side or some poo poo.

I don't think the lower tiers ever really get a description. The only hint you get is that when one shows up, people are scared shitless, which reinforces the whole monster thing.

The whole "human shaped" and "naked baby" concept comes from art, doesn't it?

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Wulfolme posted:

I don't think they ever name any angel ranked over 2: Archangel, cherubim are the fat cupid angel types even though they're a high rank for some reason, and yes I think most of our visual information on angels is from Dante and Bosch and etc.

Biblically, I think Cherubim are actually four faced creatures with revolving heads.

The fat naked babies are an invention of Catholicism because of course they are.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Amarcarts posted:

Part of me wants to read the bible through once

You'd be a step ahead of the majority of Christians.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

C.P.A.N. posted:

Douay–Rheims

It's an English translation from the Latin Vulgate which was compiled from the original scriptures.

I'm fairly sure we don't have even a scrap of any original scripture to actually verify this. Just copies of copies.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Pvt.Scott posted:

TL;DR reading and understanding the bible is a large undertaking that will take a lot of time and effort.

Most Christians I know rarely even crack the fucker open and I'm an atheist.

Oh yeah, then there's apologetics...

Ah, Apologetics. The Bible means what it says except when it says something horrible or totally bonkers.

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

so you're saying you're a parachute account?

Well, except me. I'm the real deal.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jun 14, 2015

The Bible
May 8, 2010

DaveSplitter posted:

P. sure that they don't do this because they know that they'll realize how phony their religion is.

Yes. The true Christian way to read the Bible is simply with a highlighter and a black permanent marker.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Whatev posted:

This is my body, which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me.

Whatever you do unto even the least of these, so you have done unto me.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Commie NedFlanders posted:

drat IT people!

So this whole scandal has made me aware of the Duggar family. While many people were thrilled to have a reason to slander the family, using them as a proxy for all of Christinity, I thought I would hold my judgement until looking into s bit more.

There are unfortunately people who've got a bone to pick with Christians and will take any chance they get to hurl as much vitriol as they can at anything they believe represents the faith. I think this has contributed to the ridiculous outcry that has resulted from this.

This thread is full if he most hyperbolic and outlandish slander aimed at the Duggars and sadly much of it is not in jest but rather representative of people's actual thoughts and beliefs.

I felt it was necessary to first and foremost consider the perspectives of the victims, who gave a full interview on the topic. I thought that was rather illuminating.

I'm the hope of learning even more about the Duggar family from their own point of view (I'm a fan of Primary Sources) I decided to watch some of the show, starting from the first episode. Now I see it's been purged from the Internet, taken down from Hulu or any other source

This is obviously an attention getting family but now all their shows are inaccessible because of this?

I'm pissed

Jim Bob?

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Regalingualius posted:

Until recently, I thought "emissions" actually meant horse farts.

It's really all in how you interpret it.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Blizzy_Cow posted:

Is that the next heir to the Duggar kingdom or someone that Duggars the boys? If its the latter its not allowed in their house.

Both, I imagine.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

SpeedGem posted:

id never gently caress my sister if i was alone on a desert island its wrong

Are you implying that you would gently caress her under a different set of circumstances?

The Bible
May 8, 2010

hemophilia posted:

It's gonna really, really suck for everyone who is raping boys and girls and siblings and all that poo poo in the name of God, when they actually get to the afterlife.

Well, assuming God has a problem with it. The Bible (shut up, I'm seriousposting here) largely condones rape and marriage to underage girls.

Besides, he doesn't seem to mind all that much. He sure doesn't do much about it.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jun 18, 2015

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Bi Bim Bob

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Lord of Pie posted:

His mouth looks like Goldeneye 64 Pierce Bronson if he smiled

I never got peoples' confusion with that picture. That is clearly just his hand holding the gun.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Josh resurfaces

Her eyes are saying "Help Me"

Who? His wife or the baby?

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

lol at the goons who think it's hypocritical of the Duggars to allow this

the bible had Lot offering his daughters up for rape so that the angels wouldn't get Duggared

get your poo poo straight goons

Indeed. They only hypocrisy here was in either not forcing Josh to marry the sisters he molested, or in not stoning them to death after the fact.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

SpeedGem posted:

Question: "Why did God allow incest in the Bible?"

Answer: There are numerous examples of incest in the Bible. The most commonly thought-of examples are the sons/daughters of Adam and Eve (Genesis 4), Abraham marrying his half-sister Sarah (Genesis 20:12), Lot and his daughters (Genesis 19), Moses’ father Amram who married his aunt Jochebed (Exodus 6:20), and David’s son Amnon with his half-sister Tamar (2 Samuel 13). It is important to note, however, that in two of the above instances (Tamar and Lot) one of the parties involved was an unwilling participant in the incest.

Then who did Cain marry after he was kicked out into foreign lands? Where did all those people come from?

SpeedGem posted:

In the early days of humanity, though, this was not a risk due to the fact that the human genetic code was relatively free of defects.

[Citation badly needed]

The Bible
May 8, 2010

SpeedGem posted:

probably dinosaurs. who knows.

Ok, I'm convinced now.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Captain Yossarian posted:

Are there people that did/currently believe this?

God sets it as a hard limit in Genesis 6:3.

"Then the LORD said, “My Spirit shall not abide in man forever, for he is flesh: his days shall be 120 years.”

Of course, now that we have people living longer than that, the Apologists are cobbling together shaky explanations for why yet another Bible verse means the exact opposite of what it actually says.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Eonwe posted:

She is as broken as he is holy gently caress

Maybe, but it is also possible that she does want out, but would never, ever dare express her wishes due to her cult's views on women and their role in a marriage and because she knows they'll throw her out with nothing if she ever asserts any wishes that aren't approved by the cult leaders.

Just like his sisters, we'll never really know what Josh's wife actually wants here.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Josh and his wife in happier times

:barf:

Nothing strengthens a traditional marriage like loving random Internet chicks.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Scyantific posted:

Calling it now, the only ones sympathizing with him are Jim Bob and the husbands of the two married Duggar girls, who in a shocking twist accidentally out themselves as serial cheaters.

Jim Bob is desperate to get back on TV, and even torpedoed his youngest daughters' shows because they didn't include him God wanted the whole family on TV (minus Josh now).

Jim Bob is probably bursting at the seams to destroy Josh for wrecking the money train and making the cult look even more of a joke.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

canyoneer posted:

She kinda seems like his type TBH

drat, I can't find either Cameron or Ray Comfort in the AM leak.

Also, way too old for Josh. He'd be Duggaring it to Michelle or at least Stephanie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Blazing Ownager posted:

The more I hear about this rear end in a top hat the more I think it's directly his fault his kid's turned out hosed up.

Why was TLC making a show out of what amounts to a Goddamn cult leader and trying to make it sweet?

That's what TLC does. If they didn't do it, they wouldn't be TLC.

• Locked thread