Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

'In Touch weekly'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Poizen Jam posted:

I guess I always knew how pervasive and common the sexual abuse of women and children actually is, but seeing so many people come out of the woodwork to defend Josh, clearly projecting about their own experiences with abuse, is absolutely chilling and terrifying. gently caress this world- that's a statement I haven't uttered since my 'edgey' teen days.

in the US it's about 1 in 4 women by the time they're 18, 1 in 6 for men. If anything is more taboo than sexual abuse, it's talking about it. I think if it were talked about a lot more, and they had a big ad campaign about hey, maybe don't molest kids it'd help.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Top City Homo posted:

is this one of those stats where cat calling is lumped into it?

no those are CDC stats for sexual violence, the US has one of the highest rates of sexual abuse in the world, especially child abuse

here's a short pdf with a bunch of cites

it's sort of a problem

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

I mean, heck - the U.S. has 20x more reported rapes than India.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_statistics

Just saying, it happens everywhere, probably at similar levels. Except for South Africa. Holy poo poo South Africa.

I wonder if Belgium and the U.S. pass each other in the bar with popped collars all like, "sup, bro".

it's difficult to get good stats on, but every country has issues with reporting. Here's a link with country / region stats:
http://journalistsresource.org/studies/government/criminal-justice/global-prevalence-child-sexual-abuse

An estimated 7.9% of men and 19.7% of women globally experienced sexual abuse prior to the age of 18.
U.S. rates were 7.5% for males and 25.3% for females.

South Africa has the highest prevalence rates for both men (60.9%) and women (43.7%). Jordan presents the second-highest prevalence rate for men (27%), followed by Tanzania (25%). Rates between 10% and 20% are reported for males in Israel (15.7%), Spain (13.4%), Australia (13%) and Costa Rica (12.8%), while the remaining countries all have prevalence rates below 10%.

For women, seven countries reported prevelence rates above 20%: Australia (37.8%), Costa Rica (32.2%), Tanzania (31.0%), Israel (30.7%), Sweden (28.1%), the United States (25.3%) and Switzerland (24.2%).

• Locked thread