Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Yes I think the Duggars are weird, creepy, tacky and kitschy. I just find progressive sanctimony on this issue particularly nauseating. The same reason I don't like the Roman Catholics much but find the leftist obsession with priestly abuse (as opposed to say, sexual abuse in the entertainment industry) vomit-inducing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CPL593H posted:

Fingering six year olds is bad. Fingering four of your own sisters who are under the age of ten is even worse. I'm not really sure what's sanctimonious about being upset or disgusted here.
Of course its bad, and the Duggar kid should have known better (he was 14).

The issue is its less about what was actually done than who was doing it, hence the outcry. Yes I get it, Christians are held to a higher standard regarding their actions in virtue of their faith but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be just as harsh on others who are not Christian that engage in it.

I just want consistency from the media, but I know not to expect that of course.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CPL593H posted:

If it suddenly came out that a bunch of outspoken left wing celebrities were diddlers and part of some kind of creepy circle of diddlers who all covered up each other's poo poo I'd be exactly as disgusted. The problem is that this is a "who smelt it dealt it thing". The people who yell loudest about morality are usually the ones with something to hide.

I find sanctimony in general very irritating. This means lots of religious conservatives rub me the wrong way, too. It's just with the religious right, that's kind of the point, whereas you'd think leftists would show a little more worldly sophistication. Instead, they're often the most pompous and self-righteous of all, viz. UVA rape hoax, Trayvon, global warming mania, etc etc.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Captain von Trapp posted:

Lena Dunham. Non-politican but politically active media figure, underaged incest, exceptionally weird parents, "a long time ago", "kids playing doctor ", etc. It's almost uncanny how seamlessly and symmetrically the respective outrage machines flipped sides.

I find Lena Dunham dislikable on nearly every level (especially because of the schtick approach she took when talking about the incident with her sister), but she was like 7 at the time of the incident.

So yeah she's awful but it was in the instance she was a child and not in the same category as someone who actually knows what sex is and why groping/fingering, especially siblings, is inappropriate.

• Locked thread