Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Link To The Recruiting/OCC Thread

--------------------

The sun has only been in the sky for a few hours as you shuffle into the room. Some of you may have knots in your stomachs. The looks on your classmates confirms that they, at least, do. It's a big day. For years, you've been training in the Academy to get ready for the next leg of your development. The beginning of the rest of your academic career...

...The Test.

No one knows much about the test. The details of it is a closely guarded secret. Knowledge of it before the appointed date is grounds for expulsion! Despite this, everyone knows what happens when you take The Test: you are finally placed in your "party." Might sound like a funny word to some, but your Party will be your sisters-and-brothers-in-arms for the rest of your stay at the Academy.

If what the seniors say are to be believe, if you thought the first years were tough, you haven't seen nothing yet.

You are all gathered in the largest, general classroom: room 101. A large, slopping auditorium-style classroom, many of you remember it as the place you took most of your general, more academically focused classes. It's nice location, but it's missing something: the Instructor. As you wait in your seats, you begin to wonder where he could be. The murmur in the classroom reveals that some people believe they have time to socialize before the Instructor arrives.

--------------------

To keep things clear in roleplaying and in combat, I've made pogs for everyone. To make it easier to remember, could everyone put their pogs and character name's above their text? It will help me put names to the character's faces.

zachol with Amynta:
Ryuujin with Algul:
MiltonSlavemasta with Jun-seo:
djw175 with Rita:
Raenir K. Artemi with Thammael:

Also, if anyone has any questions, comments, suggestions, or requests, please feel free to ask, but, please, post it in the OCC thread linked above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Amynta Chthonides

Amynta sits, calmly, near the very front of the room, axe leaning against her chair, doing translations. She has a series of books--one, quite old, in ancient Draconic, cramped, small, and weathered, a second an old copy of the translation to the common tongue, and then three more, new and a bit larger, her own half-completed work. She reads, first the ancient source, then the given translation, considers each sentence, the meaning of each paragraph, and then writes: her own copy in the common tongue, and then ones in Celestial and Infernal.
Gradually, her eyes linger on the old work, then on the new, slowly working through the long book. Occasionally she scratches in a note for her common version, particularly when she departs from the given translation, or has a sticking point when trying to come up with an appropriate translation to the higher tongues, where she's trying to stay as faithful as possible.

She glances up, then towards the door to the classroom, distinctly avoids sighing, then returns to her translations.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

Thammael Softbeak

Thammael sits on his haunches in his chair, drumming his claws nervously on his desks. Tests are so stressful and this test is super important! His head jumps back and forth as he looks around the room: board, desk, door, students, door, desk, board. "Since we're in room 101 this can't be a fighting test, right?" He chitters at someone close to him. "Parties are supposed to be based on how you fight though, aren't they? Are they just gonna take us at our word, or is this just a supplement? Have they been interviewing the instructors to find out what we're good at?" He doesn't really expect anyone to answer him back, but voicing the things that are worrying you out loud always helps you to think through them!

He looks out the window to try to measure time by the motion of the sun until the instructor gets here

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."
Jun-Seo

Jun-seo nods at the bird-man. "I think it involves fighting at some point, but it has to involve more than fighting. I don't know if the instructors would find me particularly good at anything, but there have to also be concerns of compatible spirits, complimentary personalities. A group of five successful warriors can still fall apart if they cannot work as a unit effectively, surely?"

He remains seated, and ponders which of his masters will be present. Is Veiled Moon's Master Armand de Beaujeu coming back from their excursion for this? Would they actually have to kill anything? As with many tests at the Academy, it will remain a mystery until it is too late for exhaustive preparations.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Rita Valant

Rita leans forward and puts her hand on the tengu's shoulder to calm him down. Stress is unhealthy. Either you succeed, in which case there's no real point in worrying or you fail which no amount of worrying will fix. No point in killing yourself with anxiety for no real benefit.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Algul Golam

Algul sits quietly, waiting for the test to start. He is not translating ancient texts, or gossiping with others, or panicking and tapping a desk. He simply sits and waits. On the streets you sometimes had to wait quietly for hours, and his training with the Broken Blade refined that skill. And so he waits quietly for the instructor, or for something to happen should the test not involve an instructor coming in to instruct them.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
The doors burst open as silence takes over the room. From the doorway comes a tall, well-clothed figure. Judging from his extended right leg, you assume he kicked the door open. Chewing a cigarette, the white suited man walks down the alleys in a gangster strut. Reaching the front desk, he turns to face you all. Getting a better look at his face, some of you may recognize him as a senior student, Takeshi Oshiro.

He's a notorious, pompous jerk and, from whispers around you, people are confused what he's doing here.

With his hands still lodged in his pockets, he puts his white shoes on the table before he begins his shout, "Oui! Listen up, you bunch of dweebs! I'm going to be the instructor for your test today!"

You see a hand shoot up. It's from Akira Saito, resident dork.

"What is it, nerd?" Takeshi shouts.

"Shouldn't one of the masters be overseeing The Test?" Akira said with his normal squeakiness.

"Brilliant question, numb nuts. Here's the answer: the Master's are busy with something important and send their regards."

A murmur breaks out in the room. You can hear people asking questions like "what could be keeping all of them busy?" and "is something wrong?" Some of you may be having similar feelings as it is a known fact at least one master always tries to oversee the Test. This murmur ends abruptly, though, when the desk in the front is cut in half by Takeishi's stomp.

"Shut the hell up, you kids! I told you all you needed to know! Now, quiet up and get ready for the test." Removing his foot from the desk's shattered remains, Takeshi moves to the board and finally removes his hands from his pockets. Taking chalk in hand, he draws the following on the board.

You can hear some giggling in the back that is quickly hushed with a stare. "Now, listen up, some of you may have heard of the Forest of Death. Some of you may have even have thought of sneaking into it for some training," Takeshi chuckles, "Nah, nevermind, you're all wimps. Anyway, the Forest is the home to the training monsters the seniors and masters train against. It's a giant forest full of the deadly creatures that will not hold back like your instructors did. You are to reach the center of the forest by 4pm or you are to be expelled."

"Any Questions?"

You see Akira, as per his nature, raise his hand again. "When will we be split up into teams?"

Takeshi, without turning his gaze towards Akira, goes "Shut up!, Any other questions?"

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.

Thammael Softbeak

Thammael snaps to attention when his elder enters the room, and after the instructions are given he raises his hand above his head. "Are we required to fight in the forest of Death? If we were to find a way to the center without engaging in combat, would that be acceptable?" No matter the answer, Thammael is already planning how to get there as fast as possible, with as little in his way as possible. Maybe others will join him? Who knows!

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.

Amynta Chthonides

As soon as Takeshi came into the room, Amynta sighed, carefully gathering up her writing materials into a case, and then everything into a bag. She watches Takeshi, expressionless, eyes flicking towards that idiot Akira.
The tengu asks his question, and she smiles, then inclines her head.
"The creatures of the forest are difficult to avoid, fast, and quite tenacious. It would be... unwise, to rely entirely on skirting engagements."
She looks over, still smiling grimly.
"Though I can certainly appreciate that sentiment. Would you like to go avoid fights together?"

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Algul Golam

Algul stands as it seems are about to start. Forest of Death, sounds pleasant. He looks around at the other students, particularly the ones who have already spoken, and at their would be instructor. After a few moments he speaks up as well. "Are there any rules? Anything we should be informed of before starting?"

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.

Thammael Softbeak

Thammael looks toward Amyntha and pulls back his sleeve, revealing the long feathers on his arms, much longer than anywhere else that's visible. "I'm a little bit... specially equipped to get through without running into anything, but you're more than welcome to come along if you don't mind me being about 50 feet up most of the time. Maybe I could keep watch for a group, though, from my vantage point."

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Rita Valant

Sitting next to the tengu, Rita makes a hand gesture indicating that she would like to come along as well.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Amynta Chthonides

Amynta nods, and smiles again.
"Ahhhh. Impressive. However, I'd suggest staying below or at least close to the treeline, there are a variety of avian beasts that would likely focus in on anyone flying too high."

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.

Thammael Softbeak

Thammael turns when his sleeve is tugged on. "Oh! You're the one who doesn't talk, aren't you? I've heard of you! The only other person I've ever met who didn't talk was really old so I guess I've been imagining you as really old too. Are you wanting to come along too? That's fine, I think. " He waits a couple of seconds before realizing that he's not actually been introduced to the people he's talking to. "Oh! Right we should, like, introduce ourselves if we're going to work together. Or apart, but in the same group. Like, as a team. I'm Thammael, though Tham is fine." Tham offers his hands to shake to the ladies he is talking to!

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Amynta Chthonides

"Amynta. If necessary I give the surname Chthonides, but that's..."
She taps a horn, and grins a bit widely, showing terrifyingly numerous and sharp teeth, before returning to a faint smile.
"...something of a joke. I'm not from any proper family."
She looks at the third member.
"I believe people address you as 'Rita.' Would that be alright, for us?"

She shifts her bag up.
"I need to drop these off. I'm not terribly fearful of the beasts today, but if I lost this book today it would mean my hide. Perhaps we could meet in the courtyard?"

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Rita Valant

Rita gives a thumbs up, verifying that that is in fact her name. She also shakes Thammael's hand.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when
Jun-Seo

These classmates seated nearest him seemed odd, especially the bird-man. "Avoiding the fights seems uneducational and boring to me. But, I suppose if there is a time constraint, we should try to be as direct as possible. I'm Jun-Seo."

Covok
May 27, 2013

As the students chat amongst themselves, a grin briefly appears on Takeshi's face. After letting the group chat for a bit, Takeshi barks out "All I said is to make it to the middle of the forest. I don't care if you run and hide from every battle or not, you just need to get your chicken-wuss butt to the middle. And, as for rules," Takeshi takes a pause, "there aren't any."

Takeshi turns his back to the class and walks up the stairs to the doors. "Now, everyone, get your butts off the seats and follow me to the Forest."

On command, everyone gets up and follows the punk through the Academy. You soon find yourself at the Senior's Gate. To keep younger students from entering the more dangerous facilities, a gate blocks off the Senior Quarter of the Academy. It's far from a perfect security system, as some of you may know personally, but it keeps most people out. Showing his ID to the scanner, Takeshi opens the gate and lets all of you through it.

The Senior's Quarter soon turns to ruins. Marks and scars from many battles are left in the walls of every hallways and on the front of every door.

Seeing some of the students confused, Takeshi pipes up with a poo poo eating grin, "You kiddies just be glad that we aren't allowed in the Senior's Quarter during the test. You'd be in for quite the show. If these walls weren't too dead to talk..."

Eventually, you begin to find yourself going across a bridge. On the other side, a forest encroaches past steel gates and walls.

Takeshi stops in from the right gate and turns towards the students. "Alright kiddies, here it is: The Forest of Death!" Without turning around, Takeshi scans his ID at the gate. The gate promptly opens revealing a large, expanding forest. "You kids know the rules, get to the middle of the forest by 4pm. Get there in time or don't show up at all."

Not seeing anyone move, Takeshi shouts "Get moving you dweebs, time's a wasting!"

Covok fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 24, 2015

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Algul Golam

So no rules. Or at least none the senior feels like giving. The direct method has something to say for it, but survival suggests working together with others. And it is intended for the the students to go out in the world as groups for more experience. So he will need to learn how to work with others anyway. He looks around at the nearby students, estimating their worth for such. He notices a group nearby gathering together for the test, including the infamous Chthonides, and a feathered individual who may be able to fly and thus provide excellent recon.

Pfft. He was overthinking it. Never his strong suit. He must trust his instincts. They are what kept him alive on the streets. And his instincts had singled out that growing group. So he walks over to them.

"Hello. I am Algul Golam. It seems it may be best to join groups for the test, and I heard you gathering together. May I join you?"

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Amynta Chthonides

"I've no objection. Amynta Chthonides. This is Rita."
As the newcomer gets introduced, Amynta looks up towards the sky, and at the scattering groups heading into the forest.
"I see three possible strategies. First, attempt to forge a path ahead of all others, hoping to bypass as many beasts as possible. Its weakness is that we may simply run into the brunt of the forces against us. Second, stay behind and near the bulk of the groups, hoping they create a path. Its weakness is that the overall melee could gather together a great many of the beasts, more than if we avoided the larger group altogether. Third, stay far to the side, though not too far ahead, hoping the groups draw the beasts away. Its weakness is slowness, and if I'm wrong in the idea that the beasts will be drawn away by our classmates, a longer route and more chances to be ambushed."

She twirls her axe idly, staring into the forest.
"My own intuition is to stay a bit behind for now and see how the beasts react to the initial intrusion of so many students, and then choose between the second and third strategies, but that will eliminate the first as a real possibility. If we are going to try to sprint ahead as much as possible, we should do so now. Comments?"

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.

Thammael Softbeak

Thammael's handshake is simultaneously denied and accepted! And then instructed! After the chicken-wuss comment he pipes up "Actually, I'm a crow, not a chicken! My beak's too big for that, and I don't have a wattle, but I could see where you could make that mistake!" He follows dutifully behind the senior, making idle chitchat with his new group of friends. "Oh, I thought you looked familiar too! You take Veiled Moon, right? I didn't start until a little later so we're not in the same class, but I've seen you coming and going a few times." Tham nods. "And like I said, I've heard of you Rita, you help people and don't talk and that's weird but also cool."

Tham nods to Algul to show that he's fine with him joining and listens to the stratermagizing. "I dunno, I'd like to get there ahead of the pack but you're right that we might just run into all of the animals and deadly things in the forest of we do that. Wouldn't it also stand to reason that if we wait, though, the only things that would be left would be the deadliest ones since they would have, you know, won their fights? What if we went ahead, but, like, close enough to the rest of the pack that their noise should draw people away from us. Also I'm Thammael, hello!" The last part was directed at the newcomer, as Thammael's head darts back and forth between the people he's addressing.

Jolyne Cujoh fucked around with this message at 11:01 on May 24, 2015

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Rita Valent

Rita waves a hello at Algul. After that, she does a complex series of hand gestures, involving using her fingers like people walking, a nearby plant to hide behind, a hand shaped like a roaring monster, and one of her person hands helping the other to its feet to indicate that she thinks it would be best if we tail another group closely. That way if they do encounter one of the stronger monsters we'll be in the perfect position to both come down on it, hopefully driving it off while it's injured and being able to provide assistance of various kinds to the defeated group.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when
Jun-Seo

Jun-Seo nods to the others. "If you want, I can go ahead, covertly. It might be best to try and surprise anything large we run into. Is there any way we can stay in touch remotely? Perhaps I can signal the flying individual in the event of danger or an opening?"

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.

Thammael Softbeak

"I can try to keep an eye on everything from up top, yeah, and I crow pretty good and loud to communicate between all of us. Unless one of you speaks Tengu, though, it'll have to be pretty simple messages. Something like one set of three calls to say to stay put, two sets to say keep going and I'll just flip out if one of us is in danger?" Thammael's feather's are all aflutter for some reason, if anyone knows anything about Tengu nonverbals they could tell that he's either very excited or embarrassed, they're sort of hard to tell apart. "We should also probably get going, though, I think most of the others have started charging ahead by now!"

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Amynta Chthonides

"Quite. I doubt the others will be so kind as to help if we run into trouble, but generally staying near the herd seems like the best option for now."
She nods to the forest.
"Jun-Seo and Rita scouting ahead in stealth, Tham as a midpoint flying scout, Algul and I trailing behind. That said, my fighting style relies a bit on staying within reach of allies, and it would be generally preferable to group closer again if it's clear we'll have to engage."
She wrinkles her nose a bit.
"Ah. I've done it again, spoke too much. Sorry for the delay, you're right, let's go."

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Algul Golam

Algul is thoughtful, when Amynta apologizes for speaking to much he speaks. "No. Do not apologize, your suggestions sound reasonable. And anything that helps us survive and pass is welcome. Grouping up too much may make us vulnerable to things that can strike a large area, but being close enough to benefit from each other's abilities is also important. We may have to balance such."

Covok
May 27, 2013

As the myriad of rival students rush through the door, Takeshi keeps an eye on a group that has decided to stay back. Overhearing their strategic meeting, Takeshi can't help, but interject. "Hey, kids, you might want to stop your ice cream social and get moving. Deadline anint changing because you need to friend each other on Facebook."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Amynta Chthonides

Amynta rolls her eyes, muttering something under her breath about the 'ridiculous gangster wannabe,' and turns to the forest.
"Alright. Tham, overwatch, Rita and Jun-Seo vanguard, Algul and I take the heart. Algul, I thank you for your consideration, but the malakas is right, we need to move."

OOC: Onward! Raenir, what are the limitations on flying for Thammael? Also, generally, my assumption is that the tree canopy is going to be something like 20 feet, and visibility forward something like 30-40', so we should still group up fairly close. I have Jun-Seo and Rita going ahead because of their stealth bonus, but that might not be the best strategy.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Rita Valent

Rita nods at Amynta's plan. She shallows her breath and becomes even lighter on her feet. The already quiet girl becomes almost completely silent using her mastery over her body. With that she takes off ahead a bit, keeping a sharp eye out for trouble. As soon as Rita is out of sight, it's like she was never there in the first place.

First thing, I'm gonna go into the Body of Night stance in which I get a +6 bonus to my stealth.
I'll just roll these two.
Stealth; Perception: 1d20+25 33 1d20+15 31
I'll at least scout ahead a bit. I have high stealth, high perception, and enough AC that if I do get into trouble, I can probably get away. Just in case, I'll keep within 30 ft, though.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.

Thammael Softbeak

Tham nods as well and as soon as they're through the gate he begins just, sort of walking up a tree. He's not gripping it with his talons or anything like that, just walkin'. Once he's in the canopy he waves down to everyone and starts breathing in and out regularly. Should anything menace him up here where it looks like he;'s mostly defenseless they're gonna be in for a rude surprise, Tham is always, always ready for a fight. He makes sure not to go too high lest he lose sight of his companions, but even so the canopy is pretty thick and he's not exactly used to the forest.

I'm taking ten on my stealth, which puts me at 27, but I tried rolling perception since that's not quite as good. Unfortunately, it didn't exactly pan out.
http://orokos.com/roll/295802: 1d20+12 820

Also, Tham sort of... can't exactly fly, per se, but he has a natural climb speed of 20 and can glide... oh huh that says 5 feet for every 20 he falls, not the other way around as I have been reading it since creating this character. Well, I guess I'm actually using acrobatics to get from tree to tree, taking ten to get 25 shouldn't leave me too bad off. At least he'll be safe when he falls!

Oh also I'm in ready the draw stance so I can draw my weapon at any time and sheathe it for free once when it's not my turn.

Edit: Oh poo poo I forgot my modifier on that roll. I have a 20 on the perception check, as my modifier is +12

Jolyne Cujoh fucked around with this message at 11:37 on May 31, 2015

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when
Jun-Seo

Jun-Seo nods to the others. "I'll go on, then, and try to signal you if I spot anything dangerous." He begins to proceed forward, quietly but quickly. Hopefully, with some luck, he would be able to identify any threat soon enough for the group to get the jump on it. There wasn't much left to talk about at this point; It was time to go!

Stealth into Forest: 1d20+17 35
Noticing Forest Enemies: 1d20+14 29

I'll also swap into Spirit-Sensing Stance to allow me to detect enemies, including incorporeal ones, within 30 feet by scent.

Covok
May 27, 2013

As Thammel makes his way to the top of the trees, his eyes catch the glimpse of a large, hulk beast. It's large, flat head is pushing apart the trees as he pushes past. He can't, however, get a good look at it. He can tell it seems to be hunting near a large structure. Thammel assumes it must be at the center of the forest.

Jun-Seo, as he sneaks in the forest, catches an odd, wet smell. With another sniff, he realize it is wet fur. A lot of it. A large, haired beast must be ahead of them.

Rita moves silently through the forest with skill and ease. As she moves down her path, she spots a pack of beats in her way. Quadrupedal, these furred monsters look like the result of a wolf and a bat having offspring. The three of them appear to have corned a group of students by a tree. From the looks of it, the group has been badly beaten and are at the end of their rope. On the floor and badly beaten, the creatures look ready to pounce.

"drat, already taken out."

"Looks like this is our last laugh...heh...heh..."

"Not funny...windbag..."

You count three of them around the party of students, but you notice one more hiding to your left. It hasn't noticed you yet, but it looks like a look-out that is waiting to flank anyone who attempts to interfere.

What do you do?

(Edit: Since this was asked on skype, Rita is one round away if she chooses to fight.)

Covok fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 2, 2015

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Rita Valent

Rita is surprised at the plight of the other students. Instinctively, she grabs her bow and points it at the wolves, nocking an arrow at the same time. Trusting that Thammael can see her and alert the rest of the group, she takes a deep breath to center herself. She begins building up some of her life energy in her right hand, while drawing back the bow in one clean movement. No time for hesitation. No time for second thoughts. In the next instant an arrow flies out from behind her cover and flies straight into the lookout wolf. Unfortunately for her the arrow makes it pretty obvious where the shot came from. Now that her cover is blown, Rita takes a heroic pose, trying to inspire the students to just hold on a bit longer.

Swift Action to switch to Poisoner's Stance.
Standard Action to use Sting of the Asp on the lookout wolf.
Attack vs. Lookout Batdog: 1d20+13 29
Damage: 2d6+1 11
11 damage and he makes a DC 19 Fort check. If he succeeds, he takes 1 point of strength damage. If he fails, he takes two points of strength damage immediately and then on his next turn he takes an additional 2 points of strength damage and 1d6 normal damage.
Stealth Check to Remain Hidden: 1d20+19-20 2
And initiative.
Initiative: 1d20+9 13

djw175 fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jun 2, 2015

Covok
May 27, 2013

(So, DJ has decided to attack the batwolves thus putting her into combat. As I said, they are all one round away from your group.

Initiative:
Batwolf 1: 25
Batwolf 2: 15
Batwolf 3: 15
Rita: 13
Batwolf 4: 11

Also, I should have pasted this in my last post. Oh well,

)

As the bat-like wolves close in on the students, they turn as they hear a loud welp. Their lookout wolf cries out as an arrow punctures its side. They turn from their prey towards the heroic figure standing proud.

(Batwolf 4 Fort Save: 1d20+6 = 22, Pass)

The first one, eager to take out the new threat, rushes towards Rita, but is still a ways away.

The second one, closer, makes it to Rita and strikes with it's horrid jaw. 1d20 + 10 vs AC = 20 vs 25, Fail However, Rita clogs the beast's mouth with her arm guard and knocks it to the ground.

The third beat makes a b-line towards Rita, but is still a ways away.

Meanwhile, Thammel, with his eagle-eye, spots the battle taking forth. As he does, Jun-Seong catches the whiff of blood and sweat from Rita's direction. With this information, what do you two do?

(As a reminder, you're all one round away so, if you move now, you'll be added to the battle after bat-wolf 4's turn. By that, I mean, the start of the next round).

(As batwolf 4 goes after Rita, I'll wait for her to act)

(The updated map:

)

(also, everyone, could you roll initiative.)

Edit: Labels added:

Covok fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jun 2, 2015

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Amynta Chthonides

Something's wrong. poo poo. Tham's dropping towards... something, and there's the scent of blood. poo poo poo poo poo poo. Alright, guess we're fighting.

poo poo.

Initiative 5. I'm assuming that's the worst, so gonna wait it out.
If Amynta is up before the wolfbats, she's going to move to G16, draw her axe, and assume Primal Warrior Stance. Reach is 10' for AoOs, so if the wolfbats close the next round (moving more than a 5' step) they'll draw AoOs.

zachol fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jun 2, 2015

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.

Thammael Softbeak

Thammael hears the twang of a bow in the direction Rita skulked off to and his head immediately snaps to the noise, just in time to see the bat-wolves begin charging her. As soon as he registers what's happening he begins cawing as loud as he can in Tengu. To the untrained ear, this probably just sounds like a frightened crow. If someone were more familiar with the language, they would notice that the calls are more sustained, longer than a crows calls and a bit deeper. If someone could actually understand him, they would know that what he is saying roughly translates to "Silent-Wingsplinter is being made food of by leather-armed bad-dogs." He will continue to call this even as he begins springing through the trees as fast as he can to reach the fray and his new friend, breathing deeply as he has been taught. This is the part that is tough, he's got to get over his natural instincts to be as silent as possible in danger, to let even the small noise of breath pass from him. When he does it, though, he can do some pretty neat stuff!

Like this! Swinging through the trees he focuses on one thing: Speed. Even with the three other students there, it's four-on-four, and even odds are the ones that get you killed, so he's going to get there as fast as possible and hope that the others can do the same. Swing, kick, jump, spring, he's using his environment as best he can to get to Rita as fast as possible, and for just a moment, if you were looking at him, you'd see nothing but a blur and a few loose feathers as he suddenly shoots ahead, though he's unable to keep up that speed he's still going to try his damnedest. As soon as he gets within striking distance, though, he stops, puts a hand on his sword, exhales and he's gone, empty air snapping in to fill the vacuum as he reappears flanking the bat-wolf that attacked Rita. One quick cut, that's all it should take. Draw the sword and slice the flesh, all in one motion. If the beast survives, though, it's going to have a hard time moving afterward.

To make everything more clear, I used tactical rush to move as a swift action, and then moved again with my move action in order to get a full round's worth of movement in half a round and then I used Fading Strike to teleport to D14, flank the batwolf and get sneak attack damage. If the batwolf survives my attack (which is unlikely judging from the one Rita hit's HP) then it will be hampered (its move speed is cut in half and it cannot make 5-foot steps)

Jumping through the trees: 1d20+15 34
Initiative: 1d20+6 12
Teleport attack; damage: 1d20+13 25 1d10+10+3d6 29

Since Algul did it and it's probably a good idea, I'll also list my maneuvers and which ones I have readied. I realized upon doing this that I actually had too many level 2 maneuvers, so I have replaced Ride the Wake with Funhouse Waltz.

Readied maneuvers are bolded, and I've already used Fading Strike.
Dimensional Strike
Fading Strike
Swift Current
Dual Crash

Mimic's Gambit
Funhouse Waltz

Jolyne Cujoh fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jun 3, 2015

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Algul Golam

Algul sees some of them rush forward and so he begins to follow them.

Initiative 1d20+1+4 14
Granted Maneuver at initiative 1d4 4 Shattered Glass Smite

Moving toward the fight, heading toward Rita if I can figure out where she went.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
HP: 56/56 | AC: 15(19) | Fort +2* Ref +4* Will +12* | Animus Pool 7
(*+1 Insight bonus vs spells, spell-like abilities, psionic powers and psi-like abilities)
Stance: Elemental Flux - Air (+4 AC +4 Initiative, +2d6 lightning damage, Resist Lightning 15)

Readied Maneuvers
Flurry Strike (BB 1, Strike)* Granted
Pommel Bash (BB 1, Strike)* Granted
Shards of Iron Strike (BB 1, Strike)* Granted

Steel Flurry Strike (BB 3, Strike)* Granted
Bronze Knuckle (BB 2, Boost)* Granted
1 Variable Flux (EF 1, Strike)*
2 Elemental Strike (EF 2, Strike)*
3 Obsidian Sidestep (SM 2, Counter)*
4 Shattered Glass Smite (SM 3, Strike)* Granted

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when
Jun-Seo

Jun-Seo's eyes go wide as he notices the smell of blood. Rita's blood? He knew he had to act as soon as possible to prevent anyone from being taken out. "I'll flank from the outside to keep some of the heat off of Rita and prevent them from going for the wounded group. Let's box them in on all sides!" Jumping out of stealth, he switches into a killing stance, drawing his larger sword. It disappears, and he dives and rolls up next to one of the batwolfs attempting to flank Rita. He attempts to position himself just right, so the sword materializes inside the Batwolf.

"TURN AROUND AND FACE THE BRILLIANT MOON!

Initiative v. Batwolfs: 1d20+9 14 (17 if stance-swap applies retroactively to initiative?)
Swift Action: Swap to Battle Dragon's Stance.
Move action: To to F-12
Standard Action: Brilliant Moon Strike, 2d6+10+4d4, crit 14-20
Brilliant Moon Strike (crit 14-20, ignore armor bonus to AC): 1d20+11 28
Crit Confirmation Roll: 1d20+11 16 (hopefully without armor bonus to AC, that's good enough?)
Damage: Brilliant Moon Damage: 2d6+10+4d4 29
Critical Damage if Applicable: 2d6+10 19

Readied Manuevers:
1 Swift Claws (TD 1, Strike)*
1 Leaping Dragon (TD 1, Boost)*
3 Sun Dips Low (TD 2, Counter)*

5 Brilliant Moon (VM 3, Strike)* EXPENDED
6 Vicious Swipe (TD 3, Strike)*

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Rita Valent

Rita flips backwards, knocking two arrows in the process. As soon as she lands, she fires them at the wolves. Unfortunately the arrows fly over their heads.

Five foot step to G-17. Solar Reflection against one of the wolves.
Solar Reflection vs. AC: 1d20+13 15
10% chance of missing and I manage to. Goddammit.

Sorry about the delayed post. I thought I had posted it a bit before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Initiative Order:
Batwolf 1: 25
Jun Se-ong: 17
Batwolf 2: 15
Batwolf 3: 15
Algul: 14
Rita: 13
Thammel: 12
Batwolf 4: 11
Zachol: 5

--

Rita
Rita's acrobatic display, while colorful, fails as the arrows are bitten out of the air by the creatures' horrid jaws.

(Also, in hindsight, taking on all of these things by yourself is worthy of an Action Point. So, I'm awarding that now. My B.)

--

Thammel

As the beast is distracted by the volley of arrows, Thammel appears in a flash behind it and strikes the beast in two. The creature falls into two lifeless heaps.

--

Batwolf 4

The creature turns its head back to lick and nurse it's arrow wound. After realizing the futility of this, it turns towards it's attacker and darts. Leaping into the air, it takes two swiping attacks. Despite it's fury, it's claws do not dig past her armor.

Move to G16
Makes 2 claw attacks: 2#1d20 + 10 = 23, 24 vs 25, Fail, Fail

--

Batwolf 1

Seeing it's packmate fall dead to the ground, the creature howls out towards the sky. Drool rushing from it's jaw and death in its eyes, it makes a mad dash towards the birdman. However, it's strike are effortlessly dodged by the birdman.

Five foot step to E13
Make 2 claw attacks: 2#1d20 + 10 = 13, 18 vs 23, Fail, Fail

--

Jun Seo

Jun Seo, following the smell of blood, arrives on the scene in a flash. Seeing the scene before him, he jumps from cover to protect the wounded group. Using his years of training, he materializes his blade inside the wolf. Impaled, the wolf's body goes limp as it howls its last howl.

--

Updated map:

• Locked thread