Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.
You people really need to space out these games, I love D&D and I'm already in 2.

Replacement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
I was conveniently lynched so I'm free for this now!

e. ugh only 7 spots FINE.

double e. never mind it says 16 but the way it's formatted in the op it looks like there are only 7 players

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

I hope we get to make chars, wanna roll me up a druid.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

Ugh fine you can be druid, I'll be a rogue, someone's gotta check for traps.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

CzarTim posted:

I'm the npc you meet that offers a sidequest you forget to do and have to go back and complete it later because ocd.

You monster.

##vote CzarTim

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

Look Under The Rock posted:

If you make me a bard I pledge I will post songs like I used to in The Olden Days

Do eeeeet.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

MC Eating Disorder posted:

Even though I'm not American, sometimes it is a thing that people will ask you where you were when 9/11 happened and its pretty embarrassing that my answer is "grinding out exp in materia magica" because that's literally how I found out about the epoch defining event of 21st century western civilisation

Not to take away from the magnitude of 9/11, but the 21st century is still young. Hell, look at all the mischief we got up to last century.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

Confirming my love for D&D and also Rush

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UU62UcP_BA

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

I sincerely apologize, it has been a crazy couple days, capped off by seeing my cousin from Florida revealing the happy news that she's with child, but I will try to catch up to the 399 posts that I have missed.

Sorry to GG for being lurky.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

chaoslord posted:

Obvious exits are NORTH, SOUTH, and DENNIS

GET YE FLASK

Ghastly Gangsta posted:

Many years ago, a beautiful shrine was erected in honor of the Goddess Leora. Though she had few devout followers, those who sought her blessing were rewarded for their faith. However, the temple was desecrated and left in ruins during the last great war. For decades, it was but an effigy to what it once represented, but the darkness that now consumes the land has evoked her wrath. Spectres and elemental phantoms drift from the shrine at night and have been wreaking havoc on the local countryside. Find a way to put the spirits to rest!

Several hours from the village you embarked upon a treacherous path that rose along the ridges of a mountain. Steps had been carved from the stone and rickety bridges were in place where steps would be impossible. However a particularly large bridge of rope and wood seems to have taken a significant amount of damage making it unsafe to cross.

What do you do
  1. Secure the bridge with rope and a grappling hook?
  2. Do you carefully cross the bridge one by one?
  3. Do you search for an alternate route?

Majority answer within 12 hours. Everyone can participate.
drat it. I would have secured the bridge in any case.

Amnistar posted:

I legit believe that we are on a time table and that we are making a choice between:

A use resources to pass challenge
B take a risk to pass the challenge
C lose time to pass the challenge.

Anyone voting for us to lose tine is helping the forces of Evil by delaying our mission.
Unless you have role information that specifically tells you this, you're making a pretty huge alignment call on a bunch of people based on nothing but setup speculation.
Have you *played* D&D before? It's pretty clear that Amnistar has and is just talking about the sorts of basic choices any quest entails.

Ghastly Gangsta posted:

You weigh your options and decide to search for an alternate route. You wind back around the mountainside taking an easier, but longer path. Eventually you come across cavern opening lightly obscured by branches and vines. You enter into the cavern and find yourselves in what appeared to be a burial room. In hollowed out sections of the wall are mummified corpses. A rounded archway at the rear of the room leads to a spiraling stair case cut out from the stone.

1. Search the room
  2. Head for the stairs
  3. Scout mountain around the burial room

Everyone can participate. 6 hours to vote.
A. Always search the room. (Yes I realize I'm out of time)

Somber, why would you not want to search the room?

LUTR I agree with your Orvin vote. On the other hand, I do not think I care much for Samfucius' vote on Orvin. I can't describe it, it's not necessarily a bandwagon, but it just feels like he hopped on it pretty quick.

GulagDolls posted:

A search room. also derp is town. I'm starting to feel some merk fear
These are also thoughts that I have had.

Yeah the only alignment call Orvin has made is that super awkward vote on uranus yet he seems really into the setup spec poo poo.
To be fair, the setup stuff is both distracting and fun. Not really an excuse, but I could easily see myself getting sucked into the CYOA aspect of the game. After all, it's a little tough making a case when some people's case history may consist of only A, B, C.

imgay posted:

Can we please hold off voting until the day events done?
Red flag! This is a scum post, imo.

Very town feeling for LUTR right now, as of this post she's the only one scumhunting.

uranus posted:

i thought third vote was the scum vote
Do not like this post. Forced joking.

Kleedrac posted:

Master Gulag has a point - is one of you adventurers a rogue who can search and possibly disarm the traps in the room?
I get you're probably doing this for fun quest reasons but this just reeks a bit of rolefishing.

So as of this post MCED, you still look like you're in joke phase, even though other stuff has happened. I'm sure you have posted since this, but after you being sort of the town leader in the last game you were in with me, I'm hoping you get to casing people as opposed to just fake-seeming joke stuff.

Ghastly Gangsta posted:

One of you inclined to search the room made a spot check and found a copy of the Villagetown's Weekly Gazette. The title article states, "THIRD PARTY ROLES ARE A FACTOR IN THIS GAME."
~This is not related to the event.~

Also there is a majority vote that is incontestable. The event continues.

You decide to search the room, and the fates smile on you for doing so! You determine that there is a magical trap here tied to the dead in this chamber. It appears a wrong step would have activated a series of runes in turn animating the dead.

Although you don't find much in the way of good treasure, you do find an old tattered prayer book. Perusing its contents you find a way to ##Pray to the Goddess. For what its worth, you find several coins and gems(that you won't be able to in anyway spend).

You ascend the stairs and rise into an area shielded by the mountains. You have reached the shrine of Leora. Pushing into the ruins, you hear the wailing of an anguished spirit.

You have 6 hours(or until there is a clear choice) to nominate a player other than yourself to commune with Leora.
Format: ##nominate Player_Name, the player will receive a boon. You can only nominate once.
Again, I missed it, but I would have nominated LUTR.

Wow I just do not trust Merk. This, and his subsequent posts make him seem desperate for the boon. Those who seek power most deserve it least. That being said, I also don't trust Somber's promises of returns should he receive the boon.

uranus posted:

gay man is making the most posts besides me which means he's probably good
I'm not sure that post count has anything to do with alignment, so unless you've got links to a town game and a scum game of his so I can compare post counts, this seems like A Dumb Thing To Say.

:ironicat:, I know, but CzarTim coming out of the woodwork to nominate merk (and calling him bro? scumbro?) seems suspicious.

Somber is the only one who could conceivably win over merk.

Perpetual Idiot and WWM: please vote to give the boon to Somber as merk's boon begging while trying to twist it as "best for town" is loving terrible
:( Sorry, I was eating lovely Mexican food and hanging out with my cousin and nephews and other people. I think I most likely would have voted to create a tie scenario, because I don't necessarily trust either of them up to this post.

Amnistar posted:

HOW DARE YOU WANT A BOON FOR YOURSELF! YOU'RE ARE EVIL SCUM FOR SAYING THAT IT WILL HELP!

Instead give it to somberbrero whose method of recruiting is bribery but he doesn't want it for himself, so he's totes a bro.

Jesus you people are dumb.

I'm voting merk because he is most likely to use the ability in a pro-town way either alignment. If he is scum and gets a boon that isn't super useful against scum, he'll use it in a way that makes him look towny, helping the town for cred. If it's a boon that is powerful, like say a vig, he'll sit on it as scum or town because he isn't stupid like some people, and he won't blow his load immediately as town, which keeps him from being able to do so as scum.
:psyduck: :ironicat: We're dumb, and you're the one putting all this faith into merk.

Amnistar posted:

I mean, honestly, don't force the split between the two. I REALLY am leery of that thought process.

Instead, if you don't like the two:

Pick.

Someone.

Else.

and I bet you people will follow.
Why are you so upset at the idea of nobody getting it?

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

Looking at the situation a bit more, my own hands seem like they might be tied. Even if I vote for somber it just puts them even on votes and WWM hasn't posted anywhere in the past day.

I'm not experienced with the mechanics behind all this, what typically happens with a tie?
Again, sorry.

merk posted:

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH
Ok what is this, you've said it at least 3 times, and I just want to know what I need to be watching or reading.

Like this post by derp, feels townie to me

merk posted:

Im trying to get the boon in any way possible because I know it is the right move for the town. If I have to make LUTR look ridiculous in the process, I will do so. Her position is flawed. It's based on a dislike of me as a player rather than a belief or disbelief of my claim.

If I was any other player, this would've been 11-0 in favor of booning me. It's me so it's a fight because players fear me and/or dislike me. That's what I'm fighting here.
Word twisting and mischaracterization, and a just straight up falsehood. I haven't played a *ton* of games with you merk, but even if I'd been here within the 6 hours I would have voted possibly anyone else.

Amnistar posted:

I don't buy the argument that pushing to be nominated makes someone scum....
Why are you defending merk so hard?

CzarTim posted:

Look Under seems genuine, but I don't know merk well enough to tell if that's his usual game.

Take any sort of meta out of it - how do you feel he's playing now?

Somberbrero posted:

Chaoslord, King Burgundy, Look Under the Rock, MCED

You find yourself waking to a room lit by phosphorescent mists swirling in and out, shimmering eddies propelled by some unseen force. As you stir, you notice three other individuals next to you. They seem as startled as you are.

Wordlessly, you walk forward through a stone hallway where the mists do not follow, held at bay by the effects of strange blue torches lining the wall. You walk for long enough, you wonder if there is an end, but eventually you step forward into a circular room with a raised dais. You would estimate it is 100 feet in diameter.

At the center of the dais, four mirrors are facing you. You step closer to inspect them, only to find that they do not cast reflections, but strange scenes far removed from your present situation.

At the Malachite Mirror, you see a warrior clad in iron and leather, gasping for breath above a fallen enemy. Ahead of him, you can see a significant number of men in dark purple cloth and chainmail encircling soldiers who look like his comrades at arms. They're fighting back, but for how long?

At the Platinum Mirror, you see a scholar in robes lined with the same blue flame you witnessed on the torches. He's rubbing at his temples, a hefty tome in front of him. Something seems to be causing him a considerable amount of frustration.

At the Tungsten Mirror, there is a scene of chaos. Rocks are falling from the ceiling of an underground cavern as dwarves flee in front of them. Occasionally the mirror will reorient so that hulking shapes are visible in the distance. Then you see it, a dwarf with a broken leg crawling forward desperately in an attempt to outrun a section of the rock ceiling that is coming away right above him.

At the Cinnabar Mirror, several well-dressed nobles are shouting over an ornate wooden table, a detailed map laid across its oaken surface. You can hear the words, but it's clear that there is heavy disagreement over a subject. Eventually one of them slams the table with his fist and walks out, and the others follow suit. Then there is one woman alone, sitting at the head of the table. Her hands are steepled in concentration.

Which mirror will you chose?
Not that I was invited, but I would have picked platinum.

CzarTim posted:

Also, WWM hasn't posted since confirming.
Sorry.

CzarTim posted:

He also hasn't made any posts on SA since then so I guess we'll see if he gets replaced.

I'm reading through the thread again, and I guess I'm not really feeling Amnistar as scum. Samfucius on the other hand has not commented at all on the merk / lutr thing or much of anything tbh.

##vote Samfucius

This is my first vote here so I look forward to being hilariously wrong.
Could you elaborate why you don't like the Amnistar case?

Samfucius posted:

You're new, right? When I was new I did that thing where I hedged my posts with "lol but I might be totally wrong" and jus so you know if you weren't new I'd be voting you right now for setting yourself up for a town flip on me in a way where you can laugh it off.

I've been there, break the habit, be bombastic. You'll have a lot more fun too, I swear.

I haven't commented on the merk thing because I always think merk is scummy. I always want to let him ride out D1 so I can see how he deals with actual flips.
I don't care for your mafia coaching tone here, and you've basically brushed aside the vote against you by not only giving merk a free pass, but also continuing to not offer any sort of opinion on what is going on.

Also this is totally stupid and unrelated but every time I see the words boon and booned I get the giggles because when I was growing up we weren't allowed to say "fart" because my mom thought it was a gross word and for some reason the word we used instead of fart was "boondie"
what
:psyduck:

imgay posted:

why are you such a sperg lord
why are you such an rear end?
The World May Never Know.

Somberbrero posted:

i dunno, i think that kind of stuff is poor form. tensions in mafia run high because some players invest a lot of time and effort into playing, but it's not nice to beat up on your teammates afterwards if they were trying. it's just a game. i've lost games for my team before and it's a bummer enough without being harangued.
On a serious, game-unrelated post, you may be my favorite mafia player, and it's for posts like this. Kudos :)

ANNNNNNNNNNND caught up.

I apologize for people who don't like long-rear end, stream of consciousness posts, but this is what works for me when I have a lot of posts to read. dwi.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

tl;dr, out of everyone I read, I do not trust Samfucius for his mafia coaching language and lack of any sort of scumhunting; Amnistar, for his unmerited blind faith in merk; merk for basically wresting an item from the town, disregarding another player's responses because she may not like your playstyle; and imgay because really he just pings my gut.

Strongest feeling is ##vote Samfucius

I'm starving, I'll try to post more later.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

imgay posted:

Also WWM you need to pick out your dnd characters name.

By-Tor.

Amnistar posted:

Knowing now that you couldn't change your vote the comments make more sense, though I still don't like the people that supported Somber over merk because merk was asking for the power, saying it would be best for him to have while somber literally put down a bribe to get people to vote for him.

I guess we can agree to disagree, but if Somber were able to actually reward people who supported him, isn't that more beneficial than "if I'm scum I'll use it to help town"?

What I'm saying is that, short of some sort of claim from you or merk, your faith in merk just comes across as blind, and borderline fanatical.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

TBH the few games I've played with LUTR and she's melted down, it was cyclonic. This isn't a meltdown, I think she's just generally annoyed you're writing her off by saying "oh she just doesn't like me."

At this point in the spat, my wife, who works with special needs kids, would say "separate corners!" and split the kids up so they can no longer fight. I, on the other hand, post on the Something Awful forums and therefore also work with special needs kids, so you both need to stop being such babies and realize this is an internet party game.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

chaoslord posted:

It can be, sure.

Amni is scum. Maybe uranus too.

Amni: Your case + I don't like the claim so far from deadline and being lynched.

Uranus: Complains about no one playing mafia, doesn't play mafia. He says "merk is scum" a couple of different times but wasn't willing to put down a vote until he found a post that he can later back out if it's inconvenient because it's a joke.

Preview: Oh hey, posts. Yeah, I'd probably vote Sam too. That's my top 3.

Hey look you guys, a scum post.

You cast suspicion on the two frontrunners and a guy notorious for shitposting, when in fact he's actually been pretty good (imho) about staying on top of the thread and asking questions. His suspicions may not be mmmmmmegaposts, but he's one of a few people in this thread I find townie.

Bottom line, you're not really thinking for yourself here, you're going for what's already been said and swinging at easy targets.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

Hey just checking to see if people can actually read my posts, since nobody's responded to anything I've said besides LUTR saying I had a long post.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

Somberbrero posted:

it was weak and there's a lot of ongoing discussion

Oh ok just checking. Let me know when you want me to post again.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

Somberbrero posted:

now? there's a lot you haven't commented on.

WHICH WAY MADNESS posted:

tl;dr, out of everyone I read, I do not trust Samfucius for his mafia coaching language and lack of any sort of scumhunting; Amnistar, for his unmerited blind faith in merk; merk for basically wresting an item from the town, disregarding another player's responses because she may not like your playstyle; and imgay because really he just pings my gut.

Strongest feeling is ##vote Samfucius

I'm starving, I'll try to post more later.

WHICH WAY MADNESS posted:

chaoslord posted:

It can be, sure.

Amni is scum. Maybe uranus too.

Amni: Your case + I don't like the claim so far from deadline and being lynched.

Uranus: Complains about no one playing mafia, doesn't play mafia. He says "merk is scum" a couple of different times but wasn't willing to put down a vote until he found a post that he can later back out if it's inconvenient because it's a joke.

Preview: Oh hey, posts. Yeah, I'd probably vote Sam too. That's my top 3.
Hey look you guys, a scum post.

You cast suspicion on the two frontrunners and a guy notorious for shitposting, when in fact he's actually been pretty good (imho) about staying on top of the thread and asking questions. His suspicions may not be mmmmmmegaposts, but he's one of a few people in this thread I find townie.

Bottom line, you're not really thinking for yourself here, you're going for what's already been said and swinging at easy targets.

I've posted on the people I felt were scummy, I was also one of the first people to find Sam scummy, and I'm also apparently the only person in this thread who is not a) making it personal; b) jumping on the easy cases; c)tunneling in on one person

I've commented on what needed to be commented on, everything else has been white noise

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

I mentioned that I thought your reads were pretty town but now you've stopped participating. It's on you to stay involved and catch up, just because nobody felt like responding to your post besides me doesn't mean get butthurt and duck out of the thread again. This is a weird as poo poo thing to say and you know better.

No, it's more like asking people if they agree with my points on people. Like chaoslord, I seem to be the only person who got a red flag off the post I quoted. Just looking to see if I'm crazy for thinking what I'm thinking, or if people just legit didn't see my post.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

Holy poo poo chaos is melting down.

I didn't really find MCED's case to be all that great, I was more suspicious of him (chaos) going after the easy targets, but really the way chaos has responded, I don't know what even make of it.

:psyduck: It feels like I don't trust half of this thread. :psyduck: I've found both sam and chaos scummy this game, but I feel Sam has actually responded well.

We have less than 8 hours to lynch, and I am sick as hell today, hopefully I will be awake, but just in case I will ##vote chaoslord

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

King Burgundy posted:

Can you point out the parts that you think are "melting down"?

Alright, melting down may have been a bit of an oversell, but it feels like he's overreacting to MCED's case, and LUTR's post. There's no one line, but my perception of his last 3 posts was of someone who seemed to be overreacting.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

A

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

So nobody wants to have their own companion? You should all vote A

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

C

##ask is imgay scum

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

##nominate mced

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

MC Eating Disorder posted:

also I just read the bard log, its cool I'm so popular! I'll be around for a few hours to answer any questions CL or WWM might have for me, but its date night tonight

I'm a hunter, I run a hunting lodge and can bring in other hunters

Basically I'm a mason recruiter and the people I recruit are either hunters (town) or monsters (scum). I am not allowed to recruit monsters (action will fail), so if I get a hunter to join me we are confirmed town.

:hfive:

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

In other news, ##vote imgay you've basically been hanging back letting other people make cases and hiding in the shadows.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

Chaoslord is also a scum but I'm willing to give him a chance to make a decent case, he hasn't posted as much as imgay who has had opportunity but has continued to just skirt everything that has been going on.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

King Burgundy posted:

If he's scum he's a scum that visited MCED last night.

---

Also, interesting that the bodyguard, Amnistar, didn't protect MCED.

Or, spoiler alert, amnistar was LYING.

:aaaaa:

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

This doesn't make much sense to me. A mason recruiter + cop is something I've never heard of before and I don't know how you'd be able to confirm that part of things. Scum mason recruiter is a thing too.

Well truth be told I wasn't too sold on the cop claim, felt too convenient to me - but hell, if I am able to recruit him it proves he's on the level - and if not, then I know he's full of it.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

GulagDolls posted:

wwm you're basically describing your role as another cop.... mced you were told you're in the masonry with him, but were you told he's confirmed town to you?

This is how my role is described to me - I am a hunter tracking a monster, and I'm allowed to recruit other hunters to help me track the monster. Obviously if they're not town why would they help me, but anyone I"m able to recruit is confirmed town.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

GulagDolls posted:

im still wondering why you would reveal this

Because it was revealed in the bard log that I visited MCED and I didn't want there to be any sort of confusion as to why I visited a claimed cop.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

So WWM -- were you able to recruit MCED?

Yup

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

GulagDolls posted:

Im the guy that if I die the town instantly loses

????

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

yeah but why the fullclaim, I mean that just seems excessive and if you're right it makes you a target. This is a bad thing to claim on D2 with no pressure. Just "hay guyz I'm a mason recruiter" would have been reasonable.

If I hadn't been forthright and stated what my business was in visiting MCED last night, it would have been a source of contention from now until my inevitable lynch. I just wanted to avoid the hassle.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

GulagDolls posted:

i could have not claimed it at all if i wanted to.

What do you think of imgay?

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

merk posted:

Yeah I'm not claiming. Probably done posting too.

Oh what a baby

MCED is confirmed town by the sheer fact I was able to recruit him

##vote merk

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

Honestly reading last night's posts sober I feel really not great about MCED/WWM's claims so I would like to hear as much information as possible today.

It just seems way overpowered to have those two roles in the game. There's subtle things about it that are way too good to be true -- like that MCED, without investigating WWM, received town confirmation about him. If WWM's role does exist it doesn't make sense that they're confirmed to each other. WAY too powerful.

I am really unhappy with this turn of events and I'm wondering if this game is cult based.

I would prefer not to be modkilled, but pretend this line is replaced with one which directly quotes my role pm as saying that as good aligned mason recruiter, each night you may attempt to recruit a player to your masonry, but will be unable to recruit an evil-aligned player.

v :) v I honestly didn't want to have to claim this early because I know it's a helpful role for the town, but I knew questions would be raised over the whole bard-log thing.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

Well part of it I also blame on :cheers:

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

I mean, care to comment on how it came to pass that you're still alive after targeting merk last night?

Did you not read the thread?

chaos protected him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

That basically confirms merk, then.

WWM I'd be interested to hear about the book.

It's not very interesting, it has a 1 shot ability that can make someone vanilla. I do not know who or when I will even use it on.

• Locked thread