Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Does anyone do this?

if so, what font do you use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
println("gas thread kill op");

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i dont op. but id use chicago

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

BONGHITZ posted:

Does anyone do this?

if so, what font do you use?

for a consulting gig I did once on some medical software, I had to print code changes and staple a code review form atop the stack and sign it before handing it over to someone for review. they then had to mark it up with a pen and sign it and give it back. and so on. eventually it would wind up in a giant set or filing cabinets.

we generally used BBEdit's default, I think it was Courier 10 at the time.

faxlore
Sep 24, 2014

a blue star tattoo for you!

might i suggest a nice helvetica for ur pleasure code reading, op

foxy boxing babe
Jan 17, 2010

my java professor made us print our code and the terminal output for our projects and that's what he graded. it was pretty lol.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
wtf

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

Julie And Candy posted:

my java professor made us print our code and the terminal output for our projects and that's what he graded. it was pretty lol.

same. we had to provide pseudocode and a printout of the code. quickly noticed though that the TAs didn't actually bother reading any of it so we'd write random nonsensical poo poo and still get full grades. i have no idea why they bothered with the practice

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

make sure you use hungarian notation so you remember the types on the printed paper, op

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

also remember to enforce 80 column length for when you print out your code

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
INCONSOLATA

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

consolas

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
if you don't use joker or comic sans you're not doing it right.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
the last time i saw printed out code was in the early 90's i think. the company that i worked for had hired someone to write them a video codec, and this guy was really full of himself, with an impressive academic record. he spent months sat on his own, tinkering away, and eventually the management got a bit suspicious because there was nothing to see after all this time.

my boss asked me to review his code, and asked him to deliver it to me. he printed it out. it was like a phone book. as far as i could see it was all one function, tens of thousands of lines long, with loops and conditionals nested deeper than the layers of your typical onion. i told my boss there was no way i could review this pile of poo poo.

the guy quit soon after, leaving one of those fancy hard bound log books behind, with only one entry:

"I can no longer tolerate the constant message that i get from my computer, and cannot proceed:

> Non-System disk or disk error
> Abort, Retry, Fail?

END LOG."

there was nothing wrong with his computer - but his "work" was all gone.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

comedyblissoption posted:

also remember to enforce 80 column length for when you print out your code

word wrapped code looks weird as gently caress, I agree

if you print from Xcode you can add a cool "CLASSIFIED" title page so that people know your code is top secret

Dr. Honked posted:

the last time i saw printed out code was in the early 90's i think. the company that i worked for had hired someone to write them a video codec, and this guy was really full of himself, with an impressive academic record. he spent months sat on his own, tinkering away, and eventually the management got a bit suspicious because there was nothing to see after all this time.

my boss asked me to review his code, and asked him to deliver it to me. he printed it out. it was like a phone book. as far as i could see it was all one function, tens of thousands of lines long, with loops and conditionals nested deeper than the layers of your typical onion. i told my boss there was no way i could review this pile of poo poo.

the guy quit soon after, leaving one of those fancy hard bound log books behind, with only one entry:

"I can no longer tolerate the constant message that i get from my computer, and cannot proceed:

> Non-System disk or disk error
> Abort, Retry, Fail?

END LOG."

there was nothing wrong with his computer - but his "work" was all gone.

these kinds of stories always surprise/baffle me because my school's CS program is hard as poo poo and even the worst of our students are, while still terrible, at least above this level. What schools do these people come from?

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Ericadia posted:

these kinds of stories always surprise/baffle me because my school's CS program is hard as poo poo and even the worst of our students are, while still terrible, at least above this level. What schools do these people come from?

he was some sort of con artist. the guy who i worked for seemed to attract them like flies. he claimed to have THREE degrees but i can't remember what they were or where they were from. he also appeared to have "society" connections, he presented himself as an upper class person (this was in england), but that was also undoubtedly a lie.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Whatever MSVC does.

I've print out retarded example apps that cover 40+ files so that I can reduce to a manageable 2-3 of actual logic. Abstractions are just a highly disturbing sign of chronic Comp Sci masturbation.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I like Ubuntu Mono

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

pram posted:

i dont op. but id use chicago

chicago is a pretty loving cool font

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

just use a2ps

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

i prefer textwrangler, op

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Valeyard posted:

just use a2ps

rear end to piss

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
great story Honked and Ericadia, I had no idea that you could print out a classified page in Xcode. that's cool

speaking of which, i only ever printed out a page a couple times from Xcode because we're not allowed to take our work home, but no one said anything about printing. hehe

these were cases that i spent a day utterly confused why something was buggy and i spent the day trying to fix it, and just needed someplace quiet to look at it, and my work is not

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Valeyard posted:

just use a2ps

trigger warning this for f77

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
wingdings

(not really though, just some thoroughly UNserious hardware/software crap by me ;) )

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

we're not allowed to take our work home

what? lol

let me guess, they're afraid of you stealing it

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

eschaton posted:

what? lol

let me guess, they're afraid of you stealing it

it's just policy. all the work's resources has trademarks, and they don't want anything leaking out

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i hate printers

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
rmemeber that scene from office space haha thats me

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
if i had to pick a font ide choose Liberation Sans

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
how come printers have not really become anymore reliable? is this going to happen to 3d printers as well?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
paper is p. unpredictable with how it shrinks when wet or heated

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

how come printers have not really become anymore reliable? is this going to happen to 3d printers as well?

race to the bottom on costs instead of push for improved reliability or anything

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
do they still make dot matrix printers

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
yes

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
i will carry one 2 your house but you must give me a hug

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

OKI impact printers still going strong.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

Silver Alicorn posted:

paper is p. unpredictable with how it shrinks when wet or heated

i have experienced this same problem.... with ur mom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

MrMoo posted:

OKI impact printers still going strong.

im about 30 seconds into this video and im riveted.

1) insane nerd voice
2) very good nerd enunciation fails
3) foot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBZrRXMTmA0

im realy thrilled to see where this 23 min takes me.

• Locked thread