Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Smythe posted:

im about 30 seconds into this video and im riveted.

1) insane nerd voice
2) very good nerd enunciation fails
3) foot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBZrRXMTmA0

im realy thrilled to see where this 23 min takes me.

oh god i got like 50 seconds in and i can't even

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Smythe posted:

im about 30 seconds into this video and im riveted.

1) insane nerd voice
2) very good nerd enunciation fails
3) foot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBZrRXMTmA0

im realy thrilled to see where this 23 min takes me.

ive never actually seen a printer enthusiast lol

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
also i hear that kind of muddled voice alot in videos online but ive never met anyone IRL who talks that way what causes that kind of slurring everything?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
im 9 mins in and hes firing up "the 90s multimedia pc projkect" and its a sick 90s pc. hes got it rigged up to the printer. this is going to be the money

https://youtu.be/IBZrRXMTmA0?t=555

pram
Jun 10, 2001
uhh i already watched the whole thing. spoilers: he prints out a sweet banner

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
liveblog update: printer driver talk

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
so yeah uh anyone remember those apple imagewriter II printers from elementary/middle school where they had those CYMK print cartridges where it shifted the ink ribbon up or down for different colors or black

but everyone wanted to print banners for everything, and always wanted to use all colors, so,

the ink ribbon cartridges got wrecked immediately and all the colors blurred into each other and whatever you tried to do looked like poo poo since the first 5 kids to use it since the cartridge was installed made massive banners first thing off the bat

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Sniep posted:

so yeah uh anyone remember those apple imagewriter II printers from elementary/middle school where they had those CYMK print cartridges where it shifted the ink ribbon up or down for different colors or black

but everyone wanted to print banners for everything, and always wanted to use all colors, so,

the ink ribbon cartridges got wrecked immediately and all the colors blurred into each other and whatever you tried to do looked like poo poo since the first 5 kids to use it since the cartridge was installed made massive banners first thing off the bat

this guy in this very video talked to me ab0out this printers and they were made by some other company like ike printer or something i forgot already.

liveblod update: its banner printing time https://youtu.be/IBZrRXMTmA0?t=1170

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i printed out my cool kid pix creations on an imagewriter 2 and the quality was superb

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

pram posted:

i printed out my cool kid pix creations on an imagewriter 2 and the quality was superb

lucky.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
rare photo of me ca. 1994

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

the finale. and yes, i watched the video.,

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
i use the same font as the lepers colon. well actually i dont because I'm nott a coder. but if I were that's what I'd use. welp that was my story thanks for raeding

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker

BONGHITZ posted:

Does anyone do this?
Yes I do thanks for asking.

BONGHITZ posted:

if so, what font do you use?
QR Codes

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

how come printers have not really become anymore reliable? is this going to happen to 3d printers as well?

have 3D printers ever been reliable?

I don't mean the prototyping systems we were using 20+ years ago, I mean the consumer models, didn't they just skip the "pricey but high quality" stage?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

suffix posted:

do they still make dot matrix printers

for fun I thought of possibly setting up my ImageWriter II with a color ribbon and the CUPS driver on my Linux box

it would be able to print 1-bit CMYK at 144dpi at a couple minutes per page

the original iPhone screen was 160dpi and a MacBook Pro with Retina Display is 220some, a modern iPhone is 326dpi or 400some for the iPhone 6 Plus

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Dr. Honked posted:

the last time i saw printed out code was in the early 90's i think. the company that i worked for had hired someone to write them a video codec, and this guy was really full of himself, with an impressive academic record. he spent months sat on his own, tinkering away, and eventually the management got a bit suspicious because there was nothing to see after all this time.

my boss asked me to review his code, and asked him to deliver it to me. he printed it out. it was like a phone book. as far as i could see it was all one function, tens of thousands of lines long, with loops and conditionals nested deeper than the layers of your typical onion. i told my boss there was no way i could review this pile of poo poo.

the guy quit soon after, leaving one of those fancy hard bound log books behind, with only one entry:

"I can no longer tolerate the constant message that i get from my computer, and cannot proceed:

> Non-System disk or disk error
> Abort, Retry, Fail?

END LOG."

there was nothing wrong with his computer - but his "work" was all gone.
this reads like a really really lame ghost story. I enjoyed it though

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

i did an onsite interview at a company and one of their services is helping clients optimize their code and also fix their really nasty "we have no loving clue how this happens" bugs. my interviewer told me a story: one of the clients was a government lab run by the nsa or something and they needed help but for security reasons they couldn't transmit any source code over the internet and whatnot, so in the end they had to fax all the code and one of the guys got to spend a few days debugging it with a pen.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
oohhhhh okidata

i had one of their color thermal transfer printers in the 90s, the most ridiculous contraption that ever put marks on paper. the cartridge had a wax coated ribbon with CMYK sections arranged sequentially, each one printed by a separate pass across the page, and then the head would jerk back and forth for 5 seconds to find the sync mark for the next color sequence. decent resolution for the time & cost but slooooooow

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

indigi posted:

this reads like a really really lame ghost story. I enjoyed it though

u got honked

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
I would print my code in comic sans ms puke green bold 16pt with double line spacing, huge marginals and word wrap

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
I'm actually gonna print some code like that next time I'm at school if the printer does color

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Maximum Leader posted:

I'm actually gonna print some code like that next time I'm at school if the printer does color

magenta background

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
white-on-black printouts of code with solid black background and if questioned, "That is how i have my IDE set and i cannot read it any other way"

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

Just take screenshots of your desktop as you work on the code. Save them as jpg files over and over and over again.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

pram posted:

rare photo of me ca. 1994

nice cartridge cdrom

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Progressive JPEG posted:

nice cartridge cdrom

they loving were

it WAS infinately more satisfying to put in a cd cartridge than loosely putting a cd in a drawer

that poo poo was special

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
suck-in cd supremacy

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

echinopsis posted:

suck-in cd supremacy

suck-in 3.5" floppy supremacy :colbert:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Weatherman posted:

suck-in 3.5" floppy supremacy :colbert:

you can't use that emoticon in yospos sorry

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

echinopsis posted:

you can't use that emoticon in yospos sorry

oh poo poo dawg how bout i used this one instaed :getout:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
eh maybe but you dont have the kudos to call anyone out yet. you gotta suck some big dick before you can make any calls soz

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Julie And Candy posted:

my java professor made us print our code and the terminal output for our projects and that's what he graded. it was pretty lol.

same circa 2004

Skarp
Sep 27, 2013

Radio Paranoia posted:

same circa 2004

same except 2012

it was my first foray into anything programming and this old man made us loving print out our assignments to grade.

oh yeah and our exams were HAND WRITTEN IN JAVA

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

Skarp posted:

This is like how my dad told me he was taught programming in the 1970s soviet union. Their teachers were all like "the computer is a distraction to true programming". They spent like 6 months just drawing schemas and writing programs on paper before they were allowed computer time to compile and test their poo poo.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

Our microprocessors professor wanted us to turn in our projects in printed-out Hitachi H8S assembly. He would take the papers, evaluate the code in his head (!!!) while we wait, then tell us all the bugs and to fix them.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Keldoclock posted:

This is like how my dad told me he was taught programming in the 1970s soviet union. Their teachers were all like "the computer is a distraction to true programming". They spent like 6 months just drawing schemas and writing programs on paper before they were allowed computer time to compile and test their poo poo.

this is a correct ideology, i think

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Skarp posted:

never had to print code but i had a few of these

it was dumb because computers can instantly check code for you but idk it wasn't that bad because i think they were somewhat lenient with syntax errors and it was 2004 so who cares

BONGHITZ posted:

this is a correct ideology, i think
agile is borgeois pseudocomputerscience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

printers are reliable. just not inkjets lol

i think i still have some code printouts in a folder with professor comments on them

• Locked thread