Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pingcode
Feb 25, 2011
Alfie Butterny

With things wrapped up, Alfie walks up to one of the kobolds, curiosity burning in his eyes. "Hey, mister," was he a mister? That look of offence seemed to suggest otherwise, "er, miss! I meant miss!"

"I was just wondering, when you're cooking and everything, 'ow do you stop salmonella from getting in?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
Leib'fried

Leib'fried goes to rest by the fire. The next morning, he goes to a shop and buys supplies for hunting and camping. He buys a traveling gear set, and a wool blanket. He also gets a bottle of wine. "If we're out hunting doesn't mean we need to be uncivilized". The irony of a barbarian saying this lost on him.

((cost is 5 gold and 6 silver total, though I suppose I could argue he'd already would have had the kit and blanket as part of his ranger starting gear, but if not that's fine, it's not that much. I might edit this to buy more food, if I find it wasn't enough for how long the party is expecting to be out. ))

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Daria Damsel

Daria pockets her share of the gold and waves.
"As much as I appreciate the sentiment, I think I would prefer a bed tonight. I'll see you folks tomorrow!"
Daria heads off to retire in a nearby inn. She returns the next morning well rested, and carrying a large, wicked looking knife.
"Well I certainly wasn't going to beat one of these things to death. But come on, lets go on a trip!"

She wonders to herself if anyone in town had Garula steak, and if they could save themselves a trip. But she decides against it. Besides, a little hunting excursion could be fun!

onepiecekenny
Apr 2, 2007

Which side is the head?
Riceball "Jelly" Donuts

"I guess we will leave after breakfast to hunt some Garula's", Do sits near the fire with the other chef's and eventually dozes off if no one speaks to him.

(I don't think I need to buy anything, so I guess I will just add it if I need it. Like food or rope.)

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
The pearl-white kobold blinks for a few seconds, then gets a very offended look. "Oi!"

Her companion--a big, green-scaled specimen--gives a laugh, as he toasts some scattered leftovers on a fireplace poker. "Oh, indeed! And how do you keep the plague out of your cuisine?"

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jul 6, 2015

Pingcode
Feb 25, 2011
Alfie Butterny

"Well i's easy enough if you cook the rat in a hot fire, but 'ow do you do that with your hands if you have to handle the food?" replies Alfie, credulously.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Pingcode posted:

Alfie Butterny

"Well i's easy enough if you cook the rat in a hot fire, but 'ow do you do that with your hands if you have to handle the food?" replies Alfie, credulously.

The big kobold gestures to his poker. "Why, with a fine implement like this!" He pulls what was once some kind of sandwich out of the fire, now toasted nicely. "Two prongs gives you control, and in a pinch you can use it to spear the food before you cook it."

"And maybe sometimes you can even get your own, instead of walkin' off with my irons!" Errin calls from the back room. The green kobold cackles; the white one looks a little guilty.

= = = =

The next morning dawns grey and misty, condensation hanging on the windows and dripping off the gutters--though the rain has, mercifully, stopped. The front gate of Glitterhaegen with its gold inlays and rich woods stands open, looking out on the misty moors beyond. Somewhere out there, between here and Giantwalk, there should be a herd of garula.

Walking up to the front gate, you notice another, familiar group nearby--the hayseeds, from last night. Somewhere in there you picked up that they call their team the Brushers, and they're from some rinkydink town out in the Fangs. Beyond that, though, you don't know much--but if they're from the Fangs they probably know their stuff when it comes to woodsmanship. There's four humans--one woman, three men--and a half-orc, towering over the rest and carrying the biggest pack. The nine-fingered human is definitely the head chef, and is quietly directing their pack-up. He doesn't seem to have noticed you yet.

Posting should pick up now that my summer class is over.

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 7, 2015

onepiecekenny
Apr 2, 2007

Which side is the head?
Riceball "Jelly" Donuts

Do stands by the gate with the group and stretches very inch of his muscle to get ready for the hunt. He notices Brushers band, he walks over to the head chef with odd number of fingers. "Morning", he greats the group with a short bow. "Do you already have a plan on how to hunt the Garula's?"

(Do we make up location where mammoths are or do you already have picked out?)

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

I've got something in mind, don'tcha worry. Thanks to your roll you know that garulas prefer flatlands but are surprisingly good at climbing, which means they're probably around the edge of those foothills due west of Glitterhaegen.

The Brusher leader, who you remember is named Tocker, looks up at your approach. He doesn't seem thrilled. "We do, though I'm not inclined to share it, y'know. Not to be rude, just, trade secrets."

"Passed down for generations!" One of the other cooks offers. The group laughs, as if at a shared joke.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Daria Damsel

Daria walks up and nudges Do. "Hey, don't worry about it." She whispers. I know where we're going.

She walks up to Tocker and gives him a sly grin. "Yeah, trade secrets, I understand that. Course, we got some secrets of our own... But tell you what, lets make a competition of it. You down for a wager?"

onepiecekenny
Apr 2, 2007

Which side is the head?
Riceball "Jelly" Donuts

Do nods at the Brushers, "Understandable" He then looks over to Daria that nudges at him. He nods after Daria whispers to him. "Friendly competition would be nice. Problem is I have nothing much to offer myself Daria.", he chuckles.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

The big half-orc looks up at the mention of a wager, and a pass of interest crosses Tocker's face. There's a brief stint of conference, and then the group turns to Daria. "What'd you have in mind, then?"

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Daria Damsel

"Oh, nothing complicated. A competition to see who returns with the best cut of meat, the most quality piece. But if you're gonna talk about trade secrets..."

Daria leans on Lieb'freid.
"How's about we wager some of that knowledge, eh? Seems appropriate for a set of cooks like us."

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Lieb'freid.

He twists suddenly, causing Daria to fall. "Very well." He says. He picks up his fork and spins it around in one hand with a flourish. 'May the best- person win."
"Though" he says. "When I hunger for victory, I never lose."

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

The Orc gives an almost bestial grin at that--the looks on the rest of the Brushers' faces are little less so. Tocker nods, pulling out a battered but comparatively pristine notebook--his cookbook, no doubt. "Right, then. First to hunt down a garula gets... hmm." He takes a look at Alfie, and smiles. He hasn't smiled yet. "How d'you like the sound of this?"

What he pulls out is a recipe card which features, very clearly, some kind of rodent--but judging by the apple in the mouth of the one in the picture, it's a BIG rodent. "Roast Fangs River Rat. Nutria to the posh. Bastards to take down, but darn tasty--about halfway between rabbit and chicken."

"Dragons love the drat things," one of the line cooks chimes in, only to have his colleagues nudge him none-too-gently in the arms. "C'mon, Evans, that's just a stupid rumor and you know it." "Yeh? Then why're there so many green dragons in the Fangs?" The sous-chef sighs, turning around to break up the impending squabble, but Tocker stays focused on you.

Anyone got any choice ideas for a counterbet?

onepiecekenny
Apr 2, 2007

Which side is the head?
Riceball "Jelly" Donuts

Do pulls out recipe card from his velvet satchel. The card features a pink sunflower that has a shape of a plump dumpling , "The Pink Sunflower Dumpling, very famous back at my hometown. If you already had a taste of it before this is MY version of the dumpling. Of course I cant tell you whats in the dumpling.", he says placing the card back into his satchel.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Daria Damsel

Daria similarly pulls a card from somewhere on her person.
"A crusader recipe for Capobelas au flambe. Rare, quite nice, and some really quite nice ideas inside. I had a fun little time getting this one, maybe I'll tell you about it later."

Pingcode
Feb 25, 2011
Alfie's eyes bug out at the size of the rat. "Cor, the people one of those could feed."

"You got yourself a bet, mister. And to prove it, I'll put my street-famous Bombe Rat on the line." Alfie pats his chest proudly with a tiny fist.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Lieb'freid.

"It's not food, perse, though I do have something to wager." He pulls out a card, on it is a picture of a drink of some sort that's blue. "It's called the spa waters of the opals. Nor a regular cocktail, it has a rare secret ingredient."

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

There's a lengthy moment of furious debate, before the Brushers break the huddle and Tocker nods. "Right. We'll bet against the Capobelas au Flambe... for now." He nods. "Maybe sweeten the pot later, but one at a time." It's about at this point that you notice the Brushers are all loaded up--when did that happen? Tocker whirls around, and wordlessly they head off! "We'll see you back at the Full Boar--to try out the Capobelas!" A little tittering of laughter follows. While Glitterhaegen keeps the land around neat and orderly, to better fit its sensibilities, within a few hundred yards the Brushers have vanished like they were never there.

Time to hunt! The Brushers do this for a living, and they're going to be hard to beat. You, on the other hand, know the area and have a much better idea of where to start looking. Who has an idea as to how to outpace the Brushers towards your quarry?

onepiecekenny
Apr 2, 2007

Which side is the head?
Riceball "Jelly" Donuts

"Daria you didn't need to bet a rare recipe.", he looks over to the road where Brusher's disappeared. "We need to get a move on now, if we want to beat them. I say we take a shortcut to get tot he quarry. Anyone else have a idea?"

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Daria Damsel

"Hey, don't worry about it. Besides," Daria flashes a smile, "I don't plan on losing."
"But Do is right, time to get moving, and I know just the place!"

Int + Ingredient Appraisal: 1d20+9 28 Thinking of the closest place with healthy Garula.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

And you're off! Between Do's knowledge and Daria's ingredient skill, you know there's only one place the garula would be midwinter on the morning after a torrential rainstorm--on the hillsides closest to the Spillwine River, getting away from the almost certain floods. It's a few days off, but garula tend to stay climbed until hunger or something else shoves them downward, so you set off.

It's just a simple matter of following the Spillwine north until you spot them, you figure--approaching the Spillwine, however, shows that it might make things difficult. The river is indeed flooded, almost a foot higher than normal, pressing at the pillars of the big Imperial stone bridge holding up the Axis road. There's a caravan parked on the bridge, looking miserably at the raging water. Looking north of the river on the other side answers where those sahaugin you saw last night came from--there's a small camp of them in a marshy patch, probably driven out of the river by the floods.

The hills you're looking for are on the other side of the river, going north. How're you going to proceed?

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jul 16, 2015

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Lieb'freid.

Though he tries to act cool, he is visibly slightly hurt, or maybe more perplexed that his offer to the bid is ignored. "Hmmph" he says, as he puts the card away. "Apparently you've never been to the Opal Spas".
When they stop at the edge of the river he looks at them "Well? Why are we stopping? Let's just keep out heads down and keep going, and maybe we can get through without too much fuss of talking about the weather or fights with the Sahaugin".

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

It occurs to me, incidentally, that I did forget to ask you guys to roll relationship dice. If you could work those into your next posts, I'd appreciate it.

onepiecekenny
Apr 2, 2007

Which side is the head?
Riceball "Jelly" Donuts

Do examines to river to see if there any drift wood drifting down from up river. "I actually can get across the river easily by just jumping onto those driftwood.", he then walks away from river. He then turns back around towards the party and sprints forward leaping towards a driftwood drifting down the river. The driftwood he is leaping towards to is more like a drift stick that looks like it would easily sink. But as soon as tip of his toes touches the stick he pushes himself forward towards another "driftwood". He displays this feat number of time until he reaches the other side of the river.

(How do I roll relationship dice. Actually what do I need to roll?)

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Daria Damsel

Daria simply looks on, more than a bit annoyed.
"Well sorry not all of us were brought up in secret monasteries. But don't worry too much about it."
Daria begins to scoot across the bridge, not bothering to talk with the caravan held up there. As she gets to the other side, she begins to sneak through the underbrush.
Until she steps in something unspeakable...

Prince of Shadows +, The Crusader -, The Priest ~: 1d6 2 1d6 4 1d6 3 nada

Sneak Sneak Dex + Poacher: 1d20+11 14 ruh roh. in fact I miscounted, its actually 13.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

For relationship dice you roll a d6 for each point you have in an Icon relationship. If you roll a 6, something relating to that Icon relationship will happen. If you roll a five, something interesting will happen...

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Lieb'freid.

Relationship: Dwarf King Positive: 2d6 1 & 1
Relationship: Orc Lady Negetive: 1d6 3

onepiecekenny
Apr 2, 2007

Which side is the head?
Riceball "Jelly" Donuts

Do rubs his bald head, "I guess that is true" he replies back. He watchs Daria sneak against the against the edge of the bridge trying to cross it.

(If Daria falls down the river Do will try to catch her while leaping around on small driftwood.)

(Darn)
Diabolist+Gold Wyrm+ Orc Lady: 3d6 4

Pingcode
Feb 25, 2011
Alfie Butterny

Alfie scurries his way over the bridge and under the caravan, his knife darting out to a temptingly dangling coinpurse as he goes.

Borrowing from the caravan (BG: Street Urchin): 1d20+6 10
Orc Lady Mixed: 2d6 1, 5
Archmage Positive: 1d6 2

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

The caravaneers look up from their river vigil at the sight of the big ogre, muttering a little and giving him wary eyes--when you see someone coming with a fork that big while also being eight feet tall and cherry-red, you take notice. However, one of them calls out as Do begins crossing the river! The sight of a man leaping across that torrent is, at first, mostly one for jeers and bets on how soon he's going to fall, but he doesn't. And as he continues to not fall, the jeers turn to cheers!

Which, unfortunately, doesn't help Alfie very much. Although most of their sight is focused down on the river, he moves at just the wrong time as his target leans back, and his knife mis-cuts. The good news is, one of the caravaneers is indeed liberated of his coinpurse! The bad news is, his pants fall down as well! The man stands up stark, while some of his compatriots are supremely unhelpful, and looks around furiously. "Oi, who did that?!"

= = =

Meanwhile, Daria has crossed the river, and is busily skulking through the reeds near where Do is set to land, by the mouth of the sahaugin camp. Which wouldn't be that bad--you should hear about what she had to do to steal the Duke of Sun March's souffle recipe. But the sahaugin are jittery today, and as she steps in... something, she can't help letting out a curse--that one of them hears! He readies his spear and starts looking around. Sahaugin are normally the masters of anything on the river. Why are these guys so on edge?

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Daria Damsel

Ah hell. Daria was more upset about needing to clean her boots off than the spear wielding Sahuagin approaching. Daria looks for a good pool of water to wash off the mess in, but she should probably do something to avoid being skewered.

"Gam, gam gam!"
Daria imitates the danger call of the Midland diving fowl, before dipping her boot in the river. Hopefully it was good enough to convince the approaching Sahuagin that it was simply a bird that has been startled and slipped away into the river to escape.

Ingredient appraisal +Cha: 1d20+8 24 for convincing animal noises and also bluffing that this harmless creature has went away and there is no person hiding in this bush.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

The sahaugin is thoroughly fooled, giving a cursory look over the reeds before stomping back to his post at the camp gates. You overhear a snatch of his muttering as he goes: "--take the Orc Lady and all her vile tricks, not going to get me--"

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jul 23, 2015

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Daria Damsel

Daria catches herself before she breathes a sigh of relief, but continues to use the riverbank and shrubs to make her way over to Do.
"They said something about the Orc Lady," she whispers. "We should keep an eye out for more obstacles. But come on, that Garula ain't gonna catch itself."
She waves the others over, somewhat callously to their own problems.

Sneak sneak poacher + dex: 1d20+10 15

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Lieb'freid.

Leib'fried isn't too happy about the theft of the belt, but says nothing, for the sake of group unity. Though he reminds himself to perhaps have a few words with the High Elf later, especially if he sees more of that, and especially she seems careless enough to attract legal attention on them.

Leib'fried perks up at the mention of the Orc Lady.
"The Orc Lady's minions? Good!" He crushes his fist into his palm. "I will crush them. Even better if I could face the Orc Lady herself!"

onepiecekenny
Apr 2, 2007

Which side is the head?
Riceball "Jelly" Donuts

Do leaps at the bank of the river when he acknowledges Daria isn't in any tight spot. He sneaks over to Daria as well.

Sneak: 1d20+5 20

When Daria relays her information he looks over to the Sahuagin and is intrigued. "I would like to know what they are talking about orc lady but we have a task at hand-", his end of his whisper was cut off by Lieb'freid. "Well then. Looks like sneaking wont be an option."

Pingcode
Feb 25, 2011
Alfie Butterny
Alfie scurries back under the cart, and hurries for the other side, snickering with surprise at the fate of the poor fellow's belt and trying his best not to be caught.

Boys will be boys, rough and ready urchins or not.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Daria Damsel

Daria pouts.
"I do have a recipe on the line you know. Unless crushing minions puts a splendid cut of Garula on our table, I'd rather focus on our hunt."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Foolster41 posted:

Lieb'freid.

Leib'fried isn't too happy about the theft of the belt, but says nothing, for the sake of group unity. Though he reminds himself to perhaps have a few words with the High Elf later, especially if he sees more of that, and especially she seems careless enough to attract legal attention on them.

Leib'fried perks up at the mention of the Orc Lady.
"The Orc Lady's minions? Good!" He crushes his fist into his palm. "I will crush them. Even better if I could face the Orc Lady herself!"

"Good?!" There's a hiss from the sahaugin camp, as the guards at the front gate finally see past their own spearpoints and notice the ogre. "GOOD? You'd better clear out, 'less you want this for dinner!" He brandishes the spear in what most people would find menacing manner, and what is probably part of the reason that caravan is up on the bridge. "We'll have nothing to do with friends of the Orc Lady! Ever since she showed up it's been NOTHING but trouble!" He doesn't seem to want to start any more, though.

• Locked thread